Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#103146 01/23/11 07:53 PM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
I'm sitting with an old songbook (I can't believe I just called something from 1980 old) entering a few Irish tunes in BIAB. The top of each sheet lists a tempo. For example I have a song in common time in which it indicates a dotted quarter = 96. How does that translate to BIAB tempo?

M
M
On the lowermost row of the menu, the 4th window in from the left, you'll see a small window in which to type or "dial in" the number 96. If you need to change the tempo within the song, click on the bar in question, hit F5, then enter the new tempo in the second little window.

McSam #103148 01/23/11 08:43 PM
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Thanks Sam, but I know where the tempo control is -- that is not my question. Tempo in BIAB is in beats per minute (BPM). I was asking what would the BPM be if the sheet music gives the value of a dotted quarter note as 96?

I would also like to know how to calculate this in the future. The next song I am doing is a 3/4 tempo where a quarter note = 132

Veteran
Veteran
Hi Robb,

If you are given the value of a dotted quarter note = 96, this most likely means the song is in a compound time signature (6/8, 9/8, 12/8); BIAB bases everything on a 4/4 template and massages that to create styles that sound 6/8, 3/4, etc.

Any metronome marking (MM) given for songs that have a quarter note as the base use, translate directly into BIAB: i.e. MM = BPM.

A dotted quarter note = 96 means that 96 dotted quarter notes are played in one minute; this is equal to 96 x 3 = 288 eighth notes in one minute; and this, in turn, equals 144 quarter notes in one minute. Therefore dotted quarter note = 96 is the same tempo as quarter note = 144. Seeing that BIAB bases styles on 4/4 (as mentioned above), putting the tempo to 144 is where I'd start. As I haven't tried this, I do not know how successful it will be. Using your ear to determine if the tempo will be the best solution as it's not always possible to easily equate compound time signatures (where the dotted quarter note is the base unit) to simple time signatures (where the quarter note is the base unit).

For the waltz, if the time signature is 3/4, this means that the quarter note is the fundamental unit (and not the dotted quarter note as above). Thus simply use the tempo given in BIAB.

Hope this gives you some food for thought,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Noel96 #103150 01/24/11 05:43 AM
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Thanks Noel. I will try the new tempo when I get home from work.

Strange thing is that, although the song has a cut time feeling, this song is in common (4/4) time. The rhythm generally follows a dotted-half/quarter or dotted-half/eighth/eighth per measure pattern. There is not a single dotted quarter in the song.

Veteran
Veteran
Hi Robb,

That's how compound time signatures work. For example, 6/8 (6 x 1/8-notes to a bar) is a compound double time where each beat (represented by a dotted 1/4-note) consists of 3 x 1/8-notes. That is a 6/8 time sig. only has 2 beats in a bar.

A common march pattern for the time sig. per bar is (beat 1 = 1/4-note + 1/8-note, and beat 2 = 1/4-note + 1/8-note).

I'm sure that there would be somewhere on the web that explains this much better than I can.

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Noel96 #103152 01/24/11 04:56 PM
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Actually, the tune is in 4/4. That is why the dotted quarter
tempo threw me. Here is the first line from the book:

The tune is Fáinne Geal an Laeis, an old Irish air composed
by the blind harpist Thomas Connellan in the 17th Century
and as such is in the public domain.

Veteran
Veteran
Hi Robb,

The MM (dotted 1/4) = 96 has no meaning in the context of the time signature of 4/4.

I've just had a listen to the song at the below link and this version sounds like 4/4 to me and the tempo is around 110 bpm.

http://martindardis.com/fainne_geal_an_la_lyrics_chords.html

NOTE: I'm not sure if you are aware of this but if you tap, in time to the music, using right-clicks on the "-" sign to the right of the tempo, BIAB will determine the BPM from your tapping.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
What I did to make it sound right was to half the durations
of the chords and set the tempo to around 80-85 (not to far
from half Noel's calculation). It doesn't sound bad at 96
Which was the tempo indicated without cutting the chords
durations. I tried both 8th and 16th based drums and the
8th seems to fit the rhythm better.

If someone could explain the theory behind why this worked,
I will read the explaination very carefully.

Noel96 #103155 01/24/11 05:27 PM
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Perhaps the dot on that sheet is a typo.

It would make sense with no dot there, quarter note = 96.

--Mac

Mac #103156 01/24/11 05:50 PM
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Mac, I think this may be true but I had to half the
chord durations for a tempo near 96 BPM to sound right.

My music theory has a few holes I'd like to fill.

Mac #103157 01/24/11 06:13 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Rob what's the name of yer book?

I play a version of that...quite slow. It would be about 65 bpm the way I learned it.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Veteran
Veteran
So far I've found 3 versions of it. 2 are 'fiddle'. One is 2/4 the others 4/4. A modern Irish History Tunebook would set it straight, they have sometimes 20 versions by different folk collected from various counties. It's no uncommon for a tune to pass from musician to musician and be adapted in the folk music sense. It makes no sense even to argue over timings etc.

An example of that that I relate very much to is a tune that I will croak tomorrow at sup, haggis in my belly and a brave attempt to get a fine single malt over the gums...the song would be "My heart's in the Highlands." The copy is not close..all the modern versions stray from the original, and who knows if that's accurate.

I gave my son the piper the my Historical Tunes of Ireland..books. I should look for a new one.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Noel96 #103159 01/24/11 08:12 PM
R
Journeyman
Journeyman
R
I was just poking around in the metronome that comes in the latest 10-pak. You guys probably know about it. It's got various gizmos. Here's the Help section on the "Tempo Calculator."

"Tempo Calculator

This opens the Tempo Calculator dialog, which will automatically calculate the tempo needed to play a given number of bars in a certain length of time. If the Tempo Calculator is enabled, the metronome will always use this calculated tempo. The calculator will also tell you the number of bars played for a given tempo and duration, and how long it will take to play a given number of bars at a given tempo."

It's got several pre-loaded time signatures, and you can define your own, in 16th, 8th, 4tr, or half notes. The calculator honors any time signature you set.

FWIW. -Ron

Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Quote:

Rob what's the name of yer book?

It is in Vol.3 of Ossian's Traditional Tunes of Ireland Series it was published in 1980 in Co. Cork., IE (not OSSIAN USA). I don't believe it is in print anymore but can't get to their web page

Veteran
Veteran
BTW the wife and I conferred on the dotted 1/4 note and the conclusion was this:

If a 1/4 + 1/8 note = 100 then you have = 3 1/8th notes and at 96 tempo each is a value of 32.

Thus if you want to express the tempo in a 1/4 note 96-32= 64.

And we both think it looks like fudged 3/4 time, and like a lot of celtic stuff it has been done in both.

We then played 3 old Scottish airs attempting to out improv each other. I'll trick her and get my daughter to video that someday soon and post it to youtube. She hit me with the flute too. Right on the ear. Something about saying she had to get up early to take out the garbage before 7 a.m. Dang raccoons....they should be hibernating not digging in my garbage.

John Conley
Musica est vita
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

Mac, I think this may be true but I had to half the
chord durations for a tempo near 96 BPM to sound right.

Then I would jus consider both the dotted quarter and the BPM figure there to be a typo.

In these days of computer-generated charts, it is easy to surmise what could cause something like this to happen, maybe that given figure was "leftover" from the previous song and went unnoticed, or maybe someone really just made a blunder with it.

No matter, viewing the few bars you posted it looks to me like you could just enter as written into BB, pick a style that works for you and set the BB Tempo BPM block by ear to suit.

--Mac

Mac #103163 01/25/11 02:53 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Hi John,

I apologize for being contrary but with all due respect, your calculation is not quite correct. Because the note-value of a quarter note is smaller than the note-value of the dotted quarter note, it is not possible to have fewer quarter notes occurring in the same amount of time as dotted quarter notes if the overall time is to remain the same.
Quote:

If a 1/4 + 1/8 note = 100 then you have = 3 1/8th notes and at 96 tempo each is a value of 32.
Thus if you want to express the tempo in a 1/4 note 96-32= 64.

Since tempo is "beats per minute", to re-map the tempo from one beat type to another, it is necessary to consider that number of different kinds of equivalent beat that occur in one minute and to work through the note type that is equal in each tempo. In this instance, the note type common to both is the eighth note.

A dotted quarter note at a tempo of 96 means that 96 dotted quarter notes occur within 1 minute.

So, since each dotted note contains three eighth notes, then there must be (3 x 96 = 288) 288 eighth notes that occur in 1 minute if 96 dotted quarter notes were played in 1 minute.

Now since it takes two eighth notes to make a quarter note, then that means that there must be (288/2 = 144) 144 quarter notes in minute.

Thus, the above tempo can be expressed a number of ways that are equivalent.

1) dotted quarter note = 96 beats per minute (if the dotted quarter note is the beat unit)

2) quarter note = 144 beats per minute (if the quarter note is the beat unit)

3) eighth note = 288 beats per minute (if the eighth note is the beat unit)

Basically, as the value of the beat note gets smaller, the equivalent tempo must increase because more of the smaller value notes are required to be played in the same amount of time as the larger note. The relationship between note value and tempo is an inverse one.

As example consider marching...

Let's say that in one minute, your left foot "walks" 20 times. This tempo could be written as "left foot = 20 walks per minute"

If we want to convert this to the walking of any foot, the right foot must have also "walked" 20 times if the that's what the left foot has done. Otherwise we wouldn't be marching. This means that the total number of "foot movements" have been 20 x 2 = 40

So a tempo of "left foot = 20 walks per minute" is equal to a tempo of "any foot = 40 walks per minute".

The measured length of time between "any" foot's movement is smaller than the measured length of time between "left foot only" movements. This is the inverse relationship that holds. As the time-value of the defining unit gets smaller, more of that unit must occur if the same amount of time is to be covered as defined by the larger unit.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Noel96 #103164 01/25/11 06:00 PM
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
So, assuming a typo with the dotted quarter metronome marking what is the theory (or BIAB technicality) that explains why the song works in the indicated tempo when the chord duration is halved?

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Likely just coincidental.

I still think the entire marking on the sheet was just plain wrong information.

--Mac

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,478
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195