Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#103166 - 01/26/11 02:18 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Tempo Question [Re: John Conley]
David Walker Offline
Apprentice

Rob,
Here's the way I do it.. Maybe wrong but it's closer to what John said.
1/4. note = 96 b/m. That's three 1/8 notes equal to 32 b/m. 2X 1/8 = 1/4 note which you are playing in 4 beats per measure. This would put the tempo = 64 b/m for a 1/4 note and 96 b/m for a dotted 1/4 note. therefore, I think the tempo is, John says, 64 b/m. Hope this helps.

#103167 - 01/27/11 12:41 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Tempo Question [Re: David Walker]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Hi David,
Quote:

Here's the way I do it.. Maybe wrong but it's closer to what John said.
1/4. note = 96 b/m. That's three 1/8 notes equal to 32 b/m. 2X 1/8 = 1/4 note which you are playing in 4 beats per measure. This would put the tempo = 64 b/m for a 1/4 note and 96 b/m for a dotted 1/4 note. therefore, I think the tempo is, John says, 64 b/m. Hope this helps.

The largest value note that divides as a integer value into both a dotted quarter note and a quarter note is the eighth note (i.e. the dotted quarter note contains 3 x eighth notes and the quarter note contains 2 x quarter notes).

This means that if the two time signatures correlate, the length of time that an eighth note lasts in each time signature must be the same. If the eighth notes are not the same duration in each time signature then the two time signatures cannot possibly equate.

96 BPM
In one minute (60 secs) 96 dotted quarter notes play. This means that in 60 secs, the equivalent of 288 eighth notes must have been played. (3 x 96 = 288)

Therefore the length of a single eighth note = (60 secs) ÷ (288 notes) = 0.208 secs

64 BPM
In one minute (60 secs) 64 quarter notes play. This means that in 60 secs, the equivalent of 128 eighth notes must have been played. (2 x 64 = 128)

Therefore the length of a single eighth note = (60 secs) ÷ (128 notes) = 0.469 secs.

Overall, at 64 BPM (quarter note), the eighth note has a duration of over twice that of the eighth note at 96 BPM (dotted quarter note). This means that a quarter note = 64 BPM is a slower tempo than a dotted quarter note = 96 BPM.

The concept of converting beats per minute from one note value to another another note value confuses many people. It's the "beats per minute" bit that adds a layer of complexity and takes the conversion process into a more complicated sphere of mathematical reasoning.

Regards,
Noel

Edited by Noel96 (01/27/11 07:32 AM)

#103168 - 01/27/11 08:03 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Tempo Question [Re: Noel96]
Mac Offline
Veteran

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia USA
Somebody must be drinkin' some serious coffee.

Kona?

--Mac

You must be Audiominds.
www.audiominds.com

#103169 - 01/27/11 02:52 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Tempo Question [Re: Mac]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
LOL!!!

I think it was the whiskey in the coffee that did it

#103170 - 01/27/11 08:28 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Tempo Question [Re: Mac]
RobbMiller Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Midwest
The mathematician in me is going to go with Noel's explaination time conversion. I am going to save this thread so the next time it comes up I have the information handy.

However, I think Mac's explanation of the theory is probably the closest:

Quote:

Likely just coincidental. I still think the entire marking on the sheet was just plain wrong information.

--Mac

-Robb

#103171 - 01/27/11 09:19 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Tempo Question [Re: Noel96]
rkl122 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: NJ
Quote:

.....Basically, as the value of the beat note gets smaller, the equivalent tempo must increase because more of the smaller value notes are required to be played in the same amount of time as the larger note. The relationship between note value and tempo is an inverse one.

Hi Noel, You can see this graphically in the Metronome Pro utility that came in the latest 10Pak. Set the tempo calculator to determine tempo, with duration set to say, 1 minute and bars to an arbitrary number, say 16. Play the metronome for a given time signature. Then change the time signature. The utility is quirky in that you have to open the tempo calculator (where the new tempo will show), then hit ok, and then restart the metronome for the new tempo to actually register audibly and visibly up top. Won't work if the new tempo is below 40, but otherwise it's all there.

FWIW, Ron

#103172 - 01/27/11 09:33 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Tempo Question [Re: Mac]
Chicago Bob Offline

That's probably a typo but if there are 96 dotted quarters per minute you could get some algebra going

96 * 1.5x = 1 minute if x is a quarter note
96*1.5 = 144x = 1 minute

but nobody would notate it that way

** I just joined the forum today, HELLO WORLD
** Been using BIAB for 5 years, just upgraded Ver. 11 to 2011 MegaPak
** Starting to explore modern music software again

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

PG Music News
Video - Audio Driver Setup Tutorial for Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows

Watch this video for a quick tutorial on setting up your audio drivers in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows! Video link: http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=t0_CHbjWrLA

Video - Band-in-a-Box®: Count-in & Metronome Tutorial

Our latest video release is our Band-in-a-Box®: Count-in & Metronome Tutorial! By default, Band-in-a-Box® has a two bar count-in. Watch this tutorial for a quick explanation of all the options available within this feature! Click here to watch...

#TipTuesday - Adding Motion and Dynamics to your String Tracks

Join our forum, and you'll be surrounded by some AMAZING Band-in-a-Box users! Like DeaconBlues09, who recenty shared their own "Tip" to our Tips & Tricks forum - check it out! Post: Adding motion and dynamics to your string tracks

Thanks for sharing, DeaconBlues09!

Band-in-a-Box 2018® pour Mac - French Release!

Nous avons été très occupés à travailler sur Band-in-a-Box® durant l'année 2017, celà s'est traduit par la création de plus de 50 nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que l'apport d'une incroyable collection de nouveaux contenus, à savoir: des RealTracks, des SuperTracks MIDI, des Études d'Instruments, des Boucles, des Prestations d'Artistes, des Préréglages Amplitube et styles associés, des RealTracks dans les 12 tonalités et une Notation Guitare Hi-Q!

http://www.bandinabox.com/bb.php?os=mac&lang=fr

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 für Mac - German release!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung von neuen Inhalten, mit RealTracks, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studien, Loops (Schleifen), Künstler Performances, Amplitube Presets und dazugehörenden Styles, 12-Tonarten RealTracks und Hi-Q Gitarren Notation, hinzugefügt!

www.bandinabox.com/bb.new.php?os=mac&lang=de

Video - Activating Band-in-a-Box® for Mac®

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac® comes with your own unique activation code that you must add to the program within 30 days. Not sure how? Watch this quick video: http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=RI1rK19uXIs

Write a Song with Xtra Styles PAK 5 for a Chance to WIN!

You could WIN $150 PG Bucks when you enter our Xtra Styles PAK 5 Song Contest!

All you need to do is add Xtra Styles PAK 5 to your Band-in-a-Box® 2018 library (on sale for just $29 until August 31st!), write a song using one if the 160+ professionally mixed styles included, and submit it to our Xtra Styles Contest! Songs submissions are accepted until September 30th - with the 4 winners being announced in early October!

Click here for complete contest rules and information.

Learn more about Xtra Styles PAKs: Windows | Mac

Forum Stats
27836 Members
51 Forums
53034 Topics
440216 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
LatinoMike, HCM, iyana, mfandrich, Lefaff

27836 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Al-David 144