Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#103732 - 01/31/11 02:42 AM [User Showcase] Re: Moonlight Dances In Her Eyes [Re: Sundance]
Shockwave199 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Long Island, NY
We have a new country station here and they're playing 10,000 commercial free songs- equals a month. Anyway, I find it and I'm listening to country again a bit. There were many current songs I haven't heard yet. The vocal was so out front on most of them, I was pretty blown away. I mean, the music bed was just kinda there in the background....kinda. I was really amazed by that. Some of it is border line accapella! Even though I write country primarily, I had to back away from listening to country radio. The music makes my blood boil. It's just awful now- almost all of it. And this in-your-face vocal mixing really kills it too.

I didn't get put off by the level of your vocal Josie. There's SO much more damage that can be done to that end! LOL! That's a tough balance and a choice really. When you shop tunes, some want the vocal out front more, some don't care, and everything in between. My style is that I tend to mix the lead vocal into the mix a bit. I used to be an out-fronter though. Over time I settled into a more seated level. The level is fine on this one for me. I'd surely rather have the lead be a touch loud than too soft, which can really bring a track down.

Yes- inch by inch. Mixing is an infinite learning process, so we have many, many inches to go!

Dan

My YT Channel- http://www.youtube.com/user/dfizzbom

#103733 - 01/31/11 04:43 AM [User Showcase] Re: Moonlight Dances In Her Eyes [Re: Powderman]
Skyline Offline
Veteran

Loc: Warwickshire, UK
A very professinal piece all round. The song is beautifully written - loved the chord progression, especially in the chorus. Instrumentation, vocals, mixing, all spot on. Perfect start to my day, thank you Josie!

John
BIAB 2017
Sonar Platinum
Studio One 3

#103734 - 01/31/11 11:27 AM [User Showcase] Re: Moonlight Dances In Her Eyes [Re: Skyline]
Steve Young Offline
Expert

Loc: Canyon Lake, TX
Hi Josie,

Excellent! What can I say. I love the song. I think the vocals sound good. I think you have a winner here!

Steve

#103735 - 01/31/11 12:03 PM [User Showcase] Re: Moonlight Dances In Her Eyes [Re: Steve Young]
Mick Emery Offline
Expert

Loc: Needmore, PA, USA
This is one classy song!
About as good as it gets...
Love the vocals. Actually... loved everything about it.

You can surely be proud of this.

Mick

#103736 - 01/31/11 12:52 PM [User Showcase] Re: Moonlight Dances In Her Eyes [Re: Sundance]
Brallan Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Los Angeles, CA.
Hey, Josie:

Just finally caught up with this one... wow, better than ever. Listened to it three times, and it's dang-near perfect.

I have no quibble with the vocal, even as a "scratch," and the harmonies are sweet -- laid back and well-suited.

The only minor change I might consider is that some of the RealTracks instrumentation gets a little "busy" here and there, and distracts a bit from the vocal. I do this all the time myself, because the RT are so good, but I am trying to go back and fade some of the riffs and fills in and out, and change instrumentation altogether in different sections, for variety.

Wonderful song, though, and I agree... pretty much "radio-ready."

#103737 - 01/31/11 01:39 PM [User Showcase] Re: Moonlight Dances In Her Eyes [Re: Brallan]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

Hey Dan,

The other day I was listening to a country song and I thought my ears were playing tricks on me. The bass was practically mia. Also weird and this has been going on for quite a while now - they make different mixes of the same country song for different "charts". Country gets one and A/C gets another. So when you hear a "crossover" you're not even hearing the same mix cross over. I like some of the country songs today but the sound not so much on a lot of them.

Thanks for the reassurance on the vox level.

Laugh often and love much.

#103738 - 01/31/11 02:39 PM [User Showcase] Re: Moonlight Dances In Her Eyes [Re: Sundance]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

Skyline John,
I'm so glad you like it. I love the way you arrange your songs. Thank you so much.

Steve,
You are also one of my fav arrangers. Thank you so much for the thumbs up.

Mick,
Wow, I'm humbled and thrilled. Anybody reading this who doesn't know, Mick played with the greats - he oozes soul. Thank you so much.

Brad,
I know what you mean. It's easy to get busy with all the tempting choices in the RTs. I start with lots of sounds and then cut, cut, cut - could probably cut more. I'm paying more attention to that. Thank you so much.

It's a great feeling this song is resonating with so many of you. I'm also happy so many of ya'll like the vocal. To me, it's all about getting the "feel". Sometimes you get lucky and it happens sooner than later when there's no real pressure cause it's just a "scratch" - maybe a head trip kind of thing.

#103739 - 01/31/11 06:49 PM [User Showcase] Re: Moonlight Dances In Her Eyes [Re: Sundance]
dcuny Online   content
Expert

Hi, Josie.

Thanks for posting! It's a strong song that stands up well to multiple plays. First, the positive:
  • You've got a good, memorable chorus.
  • You have a nice voice, and it sounds great here.
  • Good mix! That is, my first listen yesterday was in a very noisy room (bathwater running, kids playing video games), but playing in a quiet room gives the same impression.
  • Just about the time I started thinking "a bit of harmony would be nice here..." the harmony kicked in.
  • The instrumentation is good and (mostly) unobtrusive. I really like the piano, and how it's used.

Less positive (and very subjective):
  • My first impression of the melody was that it's sort of generic, with that "back and forth" feel as you bounce between chords. It's not that it's bad or wrong, it just seems unmemorable and not at the level of the chorus.
  • That "twangy" electric guitar seems to stick out of the mix. But I don't know the genre very well, so it might be appropriate.
  • In the chorus, each held note seems to have a lot of vibrato. Perhaps it's because of the harmony?
Anyway, I enjoyed listening.

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?

#103740 - 02/01/11 01:30 PM [User Showcase] Re: Moonlight Dances In Her Eyes [Re: dcuny]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

Hey David,

Thanks for listening. I appreciate your thoughts - pro and con. I must admit that I got a chuckle out of the twangy guitar - twang is a country thang. LOL. But I know what you mean too much twang isn't necessarily my thang either.

My friend, i totally don't mean this in a bad way, so please don't take it wrong - but I've noticed you focus on this in many of your comments on other's songs as well so I'm going to say this as my opinion from one trained singer to another. Somebody, I'm guessing a voice teacher, has got you way to hung up on vibrato. To me it's just another singing tool with fast, slow, more, less, held, not held - all kinds of ways to use it depending on the singer and the song. Beyond classic chorale and training no hard rules apply in most genres - it's just a choice like cream in coffee or spice in chili.

Thank you so much for your perspective. I'm glad you enjoyed the song. Oh yeah, and thanks again for the tip on that thread about mixing on the reaper forum - it was great - one of the best discussions on mixing I've ever read.

Edited by Sundance (02/01/11 01:32 PM)

#103741 - 02/01/11 02:02 PM [User Showcase] Re: Moonlight Dances In Her Eyes [Re: Sundance]
dcuny Online   content
Expert

Quote:

Somebody, I'm guessing a voice teacher, has got you way to hung up on vibrato.

No, the only one to blame here is me.

Thanks for your gracious hint - I'll try to be bite my tongue about this in the future.

And I'm glad you enjoyed the mixing thread!

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?

#103742 - 02/02/11 07:02 PM [User Showcase] Re: Moonlight Dances In Her Eyes [Re: Sundance]
Marty Wittmann Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Louisiana
Hi Josie,
You just keep churning those great tunes! Your voice as wonderful as usual. My only nit pick is the harmonizer is not as good as your own natural harmony that I have heard on your other songs.. The high part is too high IMHO. The mix and mastering was excellent as was the lyrics. You got a hit here.

Josie you are one talented lady.
Marty

Band In A Box (current) Sonar Producer X2, Windows 7, 16 Gigs Ram, Quad Core, AMD Processor, Alesis MK2 Monitors, Roland Quad Capture Audio Interface,

#103743 - 02/07/11 08:02 PM [User Showcase] Re: Moonlight Dances In Her Eyes [Re: dcuny]
PRearden Offline
Apprentice

Loc: <----- behind here
Quote:

I'll try to be bite my tongue about this in the future.

Here it is! Stomp on the person who has criticism until they shut-up. All that is left is empty praise. This is what the "showcase" hass become. Maybe that is what it is supposed to be, but I don't find it very helpful.

I think we need a "workshop" thread where people can share their constrctive opinion and not be ranted down. Ppl who aren't seeking that sort ofd input or just want an ego stroke can post here.

#103744 - 02/07/11 09:42 PM [User Showcase] Re: Moonlight Dances In Her Eyes [Re: PRearden]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

PRearden,
Quote:

Here it is! Stomp on the person who has criticism until they shut-up. All that is left is empty praise. This is what the "showcase" hass become. Maybe that is what it is supposed to be, but I don't find it very helpful.

David and I have no problem as far as I know and I've spoken to him since the post you quoted. Most of us here have gotten to know and respect each other. Many of us actually like each other.

If you want to comment on my song feel free. If you don't like the way I respond to people it's easy to simply avoid my posts. I think there's an ignore option altho I've never used it.

If you are truly looking for something "helpful" why not post a song of yours that you've created with the program - it's fun and you'll learn lots from the experience.

if you want to complain about the users showcase then I kindly ask that you start a thread on that subject in the off topic forum where you can say everything you want to say and get feedback from every one.

I'd appreciate it very much if the focus here on my song thread can stay on my song.

Thank you.

#103745 - 02/07/11 09:43 PM [User Showcase] Re: Moonlight Dances In Her Eyes [Re: Sundance]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

Hey Marty,

Glad to see you back - been missing you around here. Thanks for the listen!

#103746 - 02/07/11 10:26 PM [User Showcase] Re: Moonlight Dances In Her Eyes [Re: Sundance]
PgFantastic Offline
Veteran

Loc: Kentucky
Took my first listen. Excellent work. Superb vocal work. Thanks for sharing!

My Music
Read My Blog
My Reverbnation

Psalm 57:7 My heart, O God, is steadfast, my heart is steadfast; I will sing and make music.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

PG Music News
Today is the LAST DAY of our Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows Special!

Our Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows special ends at 11:59 PST TONIGHT!
It's your last chance to order with some amazing upgrade pricing, Bonus PAKs, discounted Xtra Styles PAKs, and Video RealTracks bundles!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows purchase options: http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.packages.htm

Bonus PAKs information: http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.bonuspaks_2018.htm

Video RealTracks offers: http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.videorealtracks.htm

Xtra Styles PAKs special pricing: http://www.pgmusic.com/xtrastyles.php?os=win

Xtra Styles PAKs - Order Now... Sale Ends January 15th!

Hurry... all of our Xtra Styles PAKs on SALE, but only until January 15th! Purchase any Xtra Styles PAK (1 - 4) for just $29 each! (reg. $49) http://www.pgmusic.com/xtrastyles.php?os=mac

The recently released Xtra Styles PAK 4 has over 150 new RealStyles for Rock-Pop, Jazz, Country, and 'Folk and Beyond' styles, which work with the RealTracks included in any Band-in-a-Box® version 2017 or higher UltraPAK/UltraPlusPAK, EverythingPAK, or Audiophile Edition!

Listen to all the demos of these new Xtra Styles here, or check out this video: www.pgmusic.com/?vid=Zl_wr47d2V0

It's the LAST WEEKEND of our Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows Special!

Our Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows special ends on January 15th... it's your last weekend to order with some amazing upgrade pricing, Bonus PAKs, discounted Xtra Styles PAKs, and Video RealTracks bundles!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows purchase options: http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.packages.htm
(learn more about the new features: http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.new.htm)

Bonus PAKs information: http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.bonuspaks_2018.htm

Video RealTracks offers: http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.videorealtracks.htm

Xtra Styles PAKs special pricing: http://www.pgmusic.com/xtrastyles.php?os=win

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows Bonus PAKs are Almost Gone!

Purchase your copy of Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows during our special, which ends on January 15th, and it will include a FREE BONUS PAK!* Time is running out...

You can also choose to upgrade your Free Bonus PAK to the 2018 49-PAK for an additional $49! This will and add Video RealTracks Set 2: Country TrainBeat Band, ALL 40 UNRELEASED RealTracks, 22 MIDI SuperTracks, 101 Instrumental Studies, and Artist Performance Set 8: Traditional Songs Sung by Béatrix Méthé. http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.bonuspaks_2018.htm#bonus49.

The Free Bonus PAK includes Video RealTracks Set 1: Pop Ballad Band, 10 MIDI SuperTracks, 7 Instrumental Studies, 40 AmpliTube Presets & 37 Associated Styles bonus and 52 Loops - learn more at http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.bonuspaks_2018.htm.

*The $49 Pro Upgrade does not include the Free Bonus PAK, any RealTracks, MIDI SuperTracks or other Add-ons.

Autumn Leaves Video Tutorial - Band-in-a-Box Backing Tracks!

Forum user Lot2Learn recently shared their Autumn Leaves - Jazz Piano Tutorial video to our I just heard Band-in-a-Box on YouTube forum, it's approaching 1.7 million views!

Make sure you watch this incredible tutorial video! http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=stsBqdo9Svc

Songwriting Feedback - "Why This Forum Matters"

Our Forum is a great resource when you're wanting to discuss Band-in-a-Box (or other PG Music Inc. programs), but it's so much more!

In addition to the different sections we have for our products (Band-in-a-Box, RealBand, PowerTracks, and Other PG Music Programs), there are also places on our Forum to share your songs, YouTube videos, ask for tech help for problems not related to our software, "off topic" discussions, and more!

Forum user David Snyder shared his thoughts on Why This Forum Matters in his recent Songwriting post, which has some great feedback, including:

It occurred to me this morning that it is the group effort that counts. That is, one kind word about another member's song, one piece of encouragement or generous suggestion, might cause that person to write the greatest song ever written, which might then go on to have a massive impact on some stranger's life, cause someone to fall in love, or turn their life around, and literally change the course of history. Because songs do that.

OR, one kind word given to YOU might cause you to write the greatest song ever written in the coming year, and that song could go on to have an impact on untold thousands. Who knows! It happens all the time.

But the point is, it is not about any one of us, it is about all of us, the group.

Read through the whole conversation (and join in!): http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=447431

...and a big THANK YOU to David for sharing his thoughts!

User Performances with Band-in-a-Box® 2018 & Video RealTracks!

New with the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2018... Video RealTracks!

With Video RealTracks, you can see the actual footage of the musician playing along with your song and create a video with them too!

Don't take our word for it though... here are two videos created by program users just like you using the newest Video RealTracks feature:
http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=z6o6DpC7MUw
http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=3T8iNnaSx2U

Forum Stats
26934 Members
49 Forums
49617 Topics
405808 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Slim Chance, javywg, Jonjon, bailey2017, bibsag

26933 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)