Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#103737 - 01/31/11 01:39 PM [User Showcase] Re: Moonlight Dances In Her Eyes [Re: Brallan]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

Hey Dan,

The other day I was listening to a country song and I thought my ears were playing tricks on me. The bass was practically mia. Also weird and this has been going on for quite a while now - they make different mixes of the same country song for different "charts". Country gets one and A/C gets another. So when you hear a "crossover" you're not even hearing the same mix cross over. I like some of the country songs today but the sound not so much on a lot of them.

Thanks for the reassurance on the vox level.

#103738 - 01/31/11 02:39 PM [User Showcase] Re: Moonlight Dances In Her Eyes [Re: Sundance]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

Skyline John,
I'm so glad you like it. I love the way you arrange your songs. Thank you so much.

Steve,
You are also one of my fav arrangers. Thank you so much for the thumbs up.

Mick,
Wow, I'm humbled and thrilled. Anybody reading this who doesn't know, Mick played with the greats - he oozes soul. Thank you so much.

Brad,
I know what you mean. It's easy to get busy with all the tempting choices in the RTs. I start with lots of sounds and then cut, cut, cut - could probably cut more. I'm paying more attention to that. Thank you so much.

It's a great feeling this song is resonating with so many of you. I'm also happy so many of ya'll like the vocal. To me, it's all about getting the "feel". Sometimes you get lucky and it happens sooner than later when there's no real pressure cause it's just a "scratch" - maybe a head trip kind of thing.

#103739 - 01/31/11 06:49 PM [User Showcase] Re: Moonlight Dances In Her Eyes [Re: Sundance]
dcuny Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sacramento, California
Hi, Josie.

Thanks for posting! It's a strong song that stands up well to multiple plays. First, the positive:
  • You've got a good, memorable chorus.
  • You have a nice voice, and it sounds great here.
  • Good mix! That is, my first listen yesterday was in a very noisy room (bathwater running, kids playing video games), but playing in a quiet room gives the same impression.
  • Just about the time I started thinking "a bit of harmony would be nice here..." the harmony kicked in.
  • The instrumentation is good and (mostly) unobtrusive. I really like the piano, and how it's used.

Less positive (and very subjective):
  • My first impression of the melody was that it's sort of generic, with that "back and forth" feel as you bounce between chords. It's not that it's bad or wrong, it just seems unmemorable and not at the level of the chorus.
  • That "twangy" electric guitar seems to stick out of the mix. But I don't know the genre very well, so it might be appropriate.
  • In the chorus, each held note seems to have a lot of vibrato. Perhaps it's because of the harmony?
Anyway, I enjoyed listening.

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?

#103740 - 02/01/11 01:30 PM [User Showcase] Re: Moonlight Dances In Her Eyes [Re: dcuny]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

Hey David,

Thanks for listening. I appreciate your thoughts - pro and con. I must admit that I got a chuckle out of the twangy guitar - twang is a country thang. LOL. But I know what you mean too much twang isn't necessarily my thang either.

My friend, i totally don't mean this in a bad way, so please don't take it wrong - but I've noticed you focus on this in many of your comments on other's songs as well so I'm going to say this as my opinion from one trained singer to another. Somebody, I'm guessing a voice teacher, has got you way to hung up on vibrato. To me it's just another singing tool with fast, slow, more, less, held, not held - all kinds of ways to use it depending on the singer and the song. Beyond classic chorale and training no hard rules apply in most genres - it's just a choice like cream in coffee or spice in chili.

Thank you so much for your perspective. I'm glad you enjoyed the song. Oh yeah, and thanks again for the tip on that thread about mixing on the reaper forum - it was great - one of the best discussions on mixing I've ever read.

Edited by Sundance (02/01/11 01:32 PM)

#103741 - 02/01/11 02:02 PM [User Showcase] Re: Moonlight Dances In Her Eyes [Re: Sundance]
dcuny Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sacramento, California
Quote:

Somebody, I'm guessing a voice teacher, has got you way to hung up on vibrato.

No, the only one to blame here is me.

Thanks for your gracious hint - I'll try to be bite my tongue about this in the future.

And I'm glad you enjoyed the mixing thread!

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?

#103742 - 02/02/11 07:02 PM [User Showcase] Re: Moonlight Dances In Her Eyes [Re: Sundance]
Marty Wittmann Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Louisiana
Hi Josie,
You just keep churning those great tunes! Your voice as wonderful as usual. My only nit pick is the harmonizer is not as good as your own natural harmony that I have heard on your other songs.. The high part is too high IMHO. The mix and mastering was excellent as was the lyrics. You got a hit here.

Josie you are one talented lady.
Marty

Band In A Box (current) Sonar Producer X2, Windows 7, 16 Gigs Ram, Quad Core, AMD Processor, Alesis MK2 Monitors, Roland Quad Capture Audio Interface,

#103743 - 02/07/11 08:02 PM [User Showcase] Re: Moonlight Dances In Her Eyes [Re: dcuny]
PRearden Offline
Apprentice

Loc: <----- behind here
Quote:

I'll try to be bite my tongue about this in the future.

Here it is! Stomp on the person who has criticism until they shut-up. All that is left is empty praise. This is what the "showcase" hass become. Maybe that is what it is supposed to be, but I don't find it very helpful.

I think we need a "workshop" thread where people can share their constrctive opinion and not be ranted down. Ppl who aren't seeking that sort ofd input or just want an ego stroke can post here.

#103744 - 02/07/11 09:42 PM [User Showcase] Re: Moonlight Dances In Her Eyes [Re: PRearden]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

PRearden,
Quote:

Here it is! Stomp on the person who has criticism until they shut-up. All that is left is empty praise. This is what the "showcase" hass become. Maybe that is what it is supposed to be, but I don't find it very helpful.

David and I have no problem as far as I know and I've spoken to him since the post you quoted. Most of us here have gotten to know and respect each other. Many of us actually like each other.

If you want to comment on my song feel free. If you don't like the way I respond to people it's easy to simply avoid my posts. I think there's an ignore option altho I've never used it.

If you are truly looking for something "helpful" why not post a song of yours that you've created with the program - it's fun and you'll learn lots from the experience.

if you want to complain about the users showcase then I kindly ask that you start a thread on that subject in the off topic forum where you can say everything you want to say and get feedback from every one.

I'd appreciate it very much if the focus here on my song thread can stay on my song.

Thank you.

#103745 - 02/07/11 09:43 PM [User Showcase] Re: Moonlight Dances In Her Eyes [Re: Sundance]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

Hey Marty,

Glad to see you back - been missing you around here. Thanks for the listen!

#103746 - 02/07/11 10:26 PM [User Showcase] Re: Moonlight Dances In Her Eyes [Re: Sundance]
PgFantastic Offline
Veteran

Loc: Kentucky
Took my first listen. Excellent work. Superb vocal work. Thanks for sharing!

My Music
Read My Blog
My Reverbnation

Psalm 57:7 My heart, O God, is steadfast, my heart is steadfast; I will sing and make music.

#103747 - 02/07/11 10:33 PM [User Showcase] Re: Moonlight Dances In Her Eyes [Re: PgFantastic]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

Hey Robert,

Thank you so much! Glad you enjoyed it.

#103748 - 02/08/11 01:36 PM [User Showcase] Re: Moonlight Dances In Her Eyes [Re: Sundance]
CarlosEArellano Offline
Productor Musical

Loc: Venezuela
Moonlight Dances In Her Eyes: a sweet voice, great song and lyrics, music and mixing, plus a overall pro quality, led by the baton of a beautiful and talented girl: Josie.
Thanks!

#103749 - 02/08/11 09:07 PM [User Showcase] Re: Moonlight Dances In Her Eyes [Re: CarlosEArellano]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

Hey Carlos!

I am blushing and grinning. Thank you so much!

BTW, cool avatar

#103750 - 02/09/11 07:35 AM [User Showcase] Re: Moonlight Dances In Her Eyes [Re: Sundance]
Pierre Julien Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Switzerland
Hi Josie

Just listened to your song today. I must admit that country music is not my cup of tea, even if your song is not what I'd call pure country (well in my book at least).

That being said, I must say that I was completely charmed by the whole song. Arrangement, lyrics, your voice...

To my ears, everything seems to be in the right place at the right moment. All these elements contribute in creating a continuous flow, that makes listening an enjoyment for beginning to end.

Thanks for sharing.

Edited by Pierre Julien (02/09/11 12:40 PM)

Pierre

IMac OSX 10.6.5 / latest BIAB
vista BIAB 2008

#103751 - 02/09/11 08:56 PM [User Showcase] Re: Moonlight Dances In Her Eyes [Re: Pierre Julien]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

Hey Pierre,

I really appreciate your kind comments. I'm so glad you enjoyed the song.

Thank you so much!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

PG Music News
Video - Making A Song in Band-in-a-Box® 2018

Ever wonder how to create a song in Band-in-a-Box®? We start off with the basics in our latest video for Band-in-a-Box® 2018!

Windows users: click here | Mac users: click here

RealTracks Patch Update for Windows Users

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows users can download the latest RealTracks update patch (519) here.

This patch includes some RealTracks audio updates we have made since the release of Band-in-a-Box 2018. 2018 users should be sure to download the latest Band-in-a-Box 2018 update patch (519), as that patch includes the bulk of the fixes for RealTracks released with 2018. This is a larger download than typical because it updates the Vocal Oohs and Aahs RealTracks audio files. There is more information and Audiophile patches available here.

Summary of RealTracks Audio updates:
Improved: There were small issues with the tuning of several Bass styles. This has been fixed for both the original mix and the direct input mix. This affects the following RealTracks:
- Bass, Acoustic, AmericanaSlow16thsByron Ev16 060
- Bass, Acoustic, AmericanaSlow128Byron Sw 040
- Bass, Acoustic, RockabillySwingByron Sw 190
- Bass, Acoustic, BluesyPopByron Ev 100
Improved: Audio glitches have been removed from the ends of phrases in the Vocal Oohs and Aahs RealTracks.

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows Patch Update Available!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows users can download the latest (free) update patch (519) here.

Summary of changes:
Added: Additional dialog available for detailed information in the StyleMaker (fields for memo, examples, and other parameters). These are set in the StyleMaker (more dialog, a button called "Style Memos etc").
Added: Help Video button Added to the Audio Harmony dialog.
Improved: ABC opening improvements with some accidentals, and leadin bars that occur in middle of song.
Improved: Audio harmonies now used Improved algorithms, and can be easily set using N voices above, M voices below (and have additional functions like duplicate melody, and dup. melody octave below).
Improved: Lyrics will be now read from .mid files that used to be karaoke files (.kar) and got renamed somewhere along the line.
Improved: Support for RealTracks that should be transposed only lower (ie heavy metal guitars) and for future Improved metal guitar comping.
Improved: The Audio Harmony Dialog has been rearranged to be more intuitive when using Band-in-a-Box Intelligent Mode.
Fixed: Audio harmonies might be missing some notes.
Fixed: Audio harmonies would be generated with the wrong notes if selecting a range of audio in the middle of the track.
Fixed: Band-in-a-Box might crash on bootup with error "Read Beyond end of file".
Fixed: Band-in-a-Box should show message if the latest VJT application is not installed when the user tries to render videos.
Fixed: File > Open Special > Open Audio was importing audio instead of opening it in a new song.
Fixed: In the Bar Settings window, "Chordsheet and Notation - Start a New Line" should say "Notation - Start a New Line".
Fixed: It was not possible to record audio using WAS audio drivers if "Output always on" was disabled.
Fixed: Misc. RealTracks updates.
Fixed: Quicklist drums picker sometimes showing too many drums in the list.
Fixed: Redundant flash messages were showing.
Fixed: Removing a custom drums from a track would still display Drums as the name of the loop in the track.
Fixed: Rendering audio while there is a region of bars highlighted in the chord sheet might cause a crash.
Fixed: Saving a MIDI file would fail unless saving as type 1.
Fixed: Some 12-key RealTracks were incorrectly set to allow transposition.
Fixed: The Audio Harmony dialog needed some hints.
Fixed: The Audio Harmony dialog was missing the new Band-in-a-Box Intelligent Mode.
Fixed: The VJT application should print out its version number in log files.

Tutorials - How to Install Your Band-in-a-Box® for Mac Hard Drive

When you have your Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac UltraPAK shipped to you on a portable hard drive, there are a few different options for installation. We go over these 3 options with our latest video series:

Option 1: Run Band-in-a-Box® directly from the USB drive only: click here to view.

Option 2: Install Band-in-a-Box® on your computer hard drive, but leave the RealTracks & RealDrums on the USB hard drive: click here to view.

Option 3: Install Band-in-a-Box® and the RealTracks & RealDrums on your computer hard drive: click here to view.

Check out all our Band-in-a-Box for Mac videos here.

Video - Downloading and Installing RealTracks Sets for Band-in-a-Box® for Mac

Have you purchased your Band-in-a-Box® package, and want to make sure you're downloading and installing the RealTracks Sets correctly?

Well, we've created just the tutorial video you're looking for! Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac® - Downloading and Installing RealTracks Sets.

Video link:
www.pgmusic.com/?vid=QndXu8H_IwM

Thoughts on Band-in-a-Box® 2017 - Mac Power Users Discussion

David Sparks and Katie Floyd discuss a variety of topics in their recent episide of Mac Power Users: https://www.relay.fm/mpu/432 - listen all the way through (and laugh along with them - it was a very entertaining episode!), or jump to 1:37:40 where David shares his thoughts on Band-in-a-Box® 2017 for Mac!

Thank you David and Katie!

Polish New Features Video for Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows

Our Polish Distributor, Sound Station, has finished their Band-in-a-Box 2018 New Features summary video (in Polish!) - click here to watch.

We hope all our Polish Band-in-a-Box users find this video helpful - thank you Sound Station!

Forum Stats
27629 Members
50 Forums
52259 Topics
432601 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
BjornTopo, lauzah, soucychapiro, rH7yB6bGKL, VTR8ve0Hhj

27628 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Icelander 198
Noel96 166