Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Veteran
Veteran
Without a good clean swap space so the songs can render I figure you are snookered.

The software is using Real stuff to start with, then it writes a bunch of sound files for your song. I've never explored how much, but maybe some guru named Mac can figure that out. Is it one .wav file per instrument or 1 mp3 file per instrument, or 1 big wav file or...

I don't know.

But if you can change the volumes of instruments after the song is rendered, then there are multiple files ....

However it the file to start with is picked up 'all over the drive' due to fragmentation as previously mentioned, AND then the rendered file is all over the drive...well top that off with limited real memory and a slow processor, the result is not going to be good.

John Conley
Musica est vita
B
Journeyman
Journeyman
B
Have you installed/reinstalled and/or updated the drivers for your midi sound module (M-Audio I think it was)?

R
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
R
I was wondering if you are a Windows XP X64bit user?

On a 64bit system you should find GM.DLS in the following directory "C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\gm.dls"

- If you do not find it
I would also recommend re-applying your latest service pack for Windows and downloading the newest version of Direct X for Windows XP.

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Hello,

Quote:

It appears that midi parts (yellow in the top of the synth window) are now playing (!) but RealTracks (green) will not

Right, the MIDI tracks now work fine because the Roland VSC-DXi doesn't use GM.DLS. I don't know why your audio tracks aren't working - that may be an entirely different problem. Could you try opening the file Listen.MGU and see if both the MIDI and audio parts play? You should find this file in the '\bb\Tutorial - Audio Harmonies' folder.

Also, if you could try running Band-in-a-Box directly from the PG Music hard drive and see if everything works fine there... that would be very helpful. Remember to select the Roland VSC-DXi before attempting to play a song, since BB will select the Coyote WT by default.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
M
merk Offline OP
OP Offline
M
OK. Since my last post, I have done this:

1) Using Remove Programs - removed every app connected with BIAB, including Coyote and Roland stuff.

2) Deleted all related folders and files, both old install and new. Only exception to this is I put my old compositions into renamed folder on a separate drive, for archive. Also, I checked - with all this deleted it leaves well over 70 Gb of free space on C: partition. My HDs are defragged weekly automatically, but I ran a check, and fragmentation was less than 0.01%.

3) Searched further with google, and located a copy of GM.DLS. Copied it into C:\Windows\System32\Drivers. Updated by hand the registry entry which is supposed to point to this file's location.

4) Then I tried a clean install. Ran the setup program on the 2011 HDD, selected option 3 (everything) and otherwise selected defaults all the way through. On this install, I did not get the "Can't find sound font file GM/DLS" error at end of install or on launch of BIAB, as before.

5) Adjusted Midi/Audio Drivers setup. Load and play any song with Real Tracks or Real Drums parts. Get error message "Beat Map Stretcher was unable to Load in the wav file". If I click through this message, the Real Tracks parts are generated, but Play only produces sound from midi parts (yellow). On most demo songs this is drums and count-in click only, on a few songs there are other midi instruments which play. No real tracks parts (green) or real drum parts produce any sound.

6) Tried John's suggestion next. delete BB and RB folders. Run BIAB from the 2011 HDD. Double checked Setup Midi/Audio Drivers setup. Load demo songs, and try to play. Same error: "Beat Map Stretcher was unable to Load in the wav file". Same play results as above, no real tracks or real drums, but midi works.

So, to summarize the events so far, here is how I have got to this situation.

1)Had an older version of BIAB running fine for years. Received the 2011 HDD EverythingPAK.

2)Without changing anything on my existing install, I ran the 2011 HDD setup program, selecting the Install everything onto my HDD option, and selected (to the best of my memory) default on file location.

3)First install apparently went to a different directory from existing install, which according to some posters should not necessarily be a problem. Attempts to play produced two errors "Can't find sound font file GM/DLS" on program launch, and "Beat Map Stretcher was unable to Load in the wav file" on play.

4) Made some settings changes in Midi/Audio Drivers Setup (thanks Noel) and got midi to play, but no real tracks.

5) Next, I made one or two attempts like this: remove and, after moving old install files to same location as new install default, re-install. Same errors and lack of real tracks.

6) (as in this post) Attempted to purge my system of all traces of old install, added copy of GM.DLS to drivers folder, and tried running from 2011 HDD. Then tried another install of BIAB, again using everything option, default location. Both of these produces same result. "GM/DLS" error is gone, but "Beat Map Stretcher" error remains and real tracks /real drums parts do not play though midi parts do.

I think the root cause must either a parameter setting in some file somewhere or a entire file in the wrong place or missing somewhere. Thinking logically, since the malfunction is the same now running from 2011 HDD or onboard drive, then the problem is either somewhere in my XP setup, or it is somewhere in the BIAB files so it manifests on both HDD play and installed play.

I really want to avoid having to clean-install my OS just to get my BIAB upgrade to work.

Anybody have any more ideas as to what could be causing the "Beat Map Stretcher" error and lack of realtracks play?

Thanks

R
Journeyman
Journeyman
R
Quote:

Anybody have any more ideas as to what could be causing the "Beat Map Stretcher" error and lack of realtracks play?

Just scanning the last few posts, so forgive if this has been covered, but re. the lack of RT sound, have you followed Andrew's suggestion to play Listen.mgu? (It has a factory installed audio part associated with it.) I think his notion is to distinguish whether the issue is really with RTs or whether you have a general audio issue. (Does another audio app produce sound?) You're using the 2496 ASIO driver, right? Try playing Listen with all midi parts muted, and the 2496 interface open. The mixer shows a signal, right? If not, there's your starting point for troubleshooting. If yes, then try a song with a RT soloed. If the mixer now shows no signal, at least you've narrowed troubleshooting from a general audio issue to the RTs themselves. (What happens if you double click on one of the raw .wma RT files and your default audio player fires up - does it sound?)

BTW, when troubleshooting ASIO, it's best to refrain from having more than one audio app open. (Especially true for ASIO4ALL, since it doesn't like to be shared - not an issue here). Also, in the Audio Drivers Dialog, there's an ASIO Always on toggle. It shouldn't matter here, but you might try toggling it just in case.

-Ron

B
Journeyman
Journeyman
B
Find another computer and try BIAB from the usb drive it came on and see what you get. What about RealBand?
Good luck.

M
merk Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Quote:

have you followed Andrew's suggestion to play Listen.mgu?

The audio plays fine from this file. Looking inside shows that the audio file connected with Listen.mgu is a wav, rather than an wma like all the regular RT files. Another clue!

Quote:

You're using the 2496 ASIO driver, right? Try playing Listen with all midi parts muted, and the 2496 interface open. The mixer shows a signal, right?

I normally use ASIO, and yes, the 2496 mixer shows a signal playing Listen.

Quote:

What happens if you double click on one of the raw .wma RT files and your default audio player fires up - does it sound?

Aha! Default audio player is MediaMonkey. Although wma is selected as one of my MediaMonkey filetype associations, turns out the RT wma's won't play here either. Looking like a codec problem.

I then discover that the RT wma's play fine with VLC, and with Media Player Classic, both of which which I also have installed but never use. A little googling suggests that the codecs for wma's have many versions and some seem to be application-specific.

I try re-installing Media Player Classic, as it was developed originally as a direct Windows Media Player subsititute, figuring that this might sort out the driver/codec issues.

Retry BIAB and load a song with RT parts. BINGO!

Conclusion - somehow between old BIAB install and new one, access to the proper codec or driver for wma's was broken. This problem may or may not have been connected with difficulties with missing GM.DLS or my early efforts to fix that. At any rate, back in business.

Thanks to everyone who offered ideas and help here!

Veteran
Veteran
Glad you got it sorted. Obviously something happened to your computer if GM.DLS disappeared; maybe your WMA CODEC got messed up at the same time.

I'm glad it's working now.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
L
L
Sorry for digging out this old thread, but I ran into quite similiar problems on my XP64 box and would like to share the way, I finally got it sorted out:

Any Win32 application will not get access to the Windows\system32 folder which is intended for 64bit applications. Instead it's (transparently) redirected to the Windows\SysWOW64 folder which has the same structure and contains 32bit runtime files.

So my remedy was to get the GM.DLS from "Windows\system32\drivers" and put a copy to "Windows\SysWOW64\drivers\" and additionally to "Windows\SysWOW64\drivers\etc\", just to be sure :-)

After doing so, installation did not complain anymore and the application seems to work properly.

I hope this may help also on other 64bit installations...

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
>>> So my remedy was to get the GM.DLS from "Windows\system32\drivers" and put a copy to "Windows\SysWOW64\drivers\" and additionally to "Windows\SysWOW64\drivers\etc\", just to be sure :-)

Thanks for the tip.

>> my XP64 box

To be clear, this issue is peculiar to Windows XP 64
( http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb457053.aspx released in 2001)... correct?

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
L
L

>>> my XP64 box

I'm using a cheap onboard soundchip, possibly this might have been a reason, see below..

> To be clear, this issue is peculiar to Windows XP 64

I didn't try installing BIAB on Win7 (and never will on Win8...) but I think that it's common for all 64bit Windows versions: Microsoft are sharing most of the code (some people swear that there is still 16bit code from Windows 3.x inside) between their versions and I din't see any differences between XP64 and Win7 concerning the handling of 32bit applications.

But anyway, the main point is not the OS but the driver setup procedure for the sound hardware: If the driver setup is not aware of the "specialities" of a 64bit system, it just puts the files into system32 but not into the folders for the 32bt sandbox.

It strongly depends of the sound hardware manufacuters. But maybe your setups could care about? :-)

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,307
Posts731,350
Members38,410
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
DJ Jazzy Jimbob, PatSar63, danidatoad, resower, Nicholas -PG Music
38,410 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 213