Go To
#105079 02/10/11 02:37 AM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
T
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
T
Hi all. This is a continuation of the previous thread "sound problem", and I'd be grateful for any advice.

The original problem was latency when recording in BiaB with default MME drivers (which I'm told are actually WDM drivers)

Anyhow I fixed this eventually with ASIO4ALL - bit fiddly, but sorted - see previous thread for detail.

The new problem is that if I open Mixcraft, I get all sorts of errors which apparently is due to the inability to share ASIO drivers. After a bit of mucking about on the web I found ASIO multi client (ASIO MC), which seem to be the tool for the job.

Its not clear if you have to uninstall ASIO4ALL first - I think not - so I intalled over the top and it looks OK.

Following the readme, I launched ASIO MC, and then the 2 apps required ie Biab and Mixcraft. This seem to work - after selecting ASIO MC as preferred driver in the 2 apps, they both show as clients in the ASIO MC panel.

BUT 2 problems.

First I dont get any sound in BiaB. I think this is the same problem I had previously when instally ASIO4ALL. If I go to Biab/Opt/MidiAudio/Audio Settings/Audio Drivers I get the panel which offers at the top "select one ASIO device" the choice being ASIO for all or ASIO multiclient wrapper. I select multi, and then in the options below to the right, "select ouotput port" there were 2 options under ASIO4ALL, but under ASIO MC one of these, ie "(2.3) HD audio output 1 + HD audio output 2." disappears.

This is similar to the problem I had in the first place with ASIO4ALL - its only when the 2nd option opened and was selected, that i got any sound. I never worked out how the 2nd option opened - it just appeared one time.

The 2nd problem is - you guessed it - no sound in Mixcraft. But I cant really expect anyone to offer help on that.

I wonder if I should have uninstalled ASIO 4ALL before instlling ASIO MC ? Anyhow, I have a busy day so will play with this again later. Meantime any ideas gratefully recived.

Thanks Tom

T
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
T
One further thought. Mixcraft doesnt use ASIO by default. And if I open Mixcraft using Wave or WaveRT drivers, rather than ASIO, I still have a problem.

That is, if I open Mixcraft without ASIO its OK for sound, and then on opening Biab I get an ASIO buffering errror message, even though Mixcraft isnt set for ASIO drivers.

Other way about, if I open BiaB with ASIO its great, but then open Mixcraft I get a sound error message - although this seems to relate to the device ie speakers rather then the driver.

I wonder if this isnt a driver issue, but a device sharing issue. Oddly, under Windows / control Panel sound setting there is an option to give apps exclusive control over speakers. But I've disableds this ( and restarted) and still have the same problem.

The curious thing is that if I open Mixcraft and then Biab the message definitely says ASIO driver problem - but maybe if it cant access the speakers, it shows as a driver problem?

That would explain why ASIO multiclient doesnt help.

T
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
T
SORTED. OK I finally have the solution. Its very simple.

I needed to untick the "ASIO always on" box, and its all good. I guess with this ticked Biab has ASIO as exclusive - but still doesnt explain why i have probs when running the other App with non
ASIO drivers.

Anyhow I'm done. Maybe this will come in useful for someone else.

Sorry for hogging the forum - I'll never darken your doorstep again ..... well not for a while.

Many thanks
Tom

Veteran
Veteran
Darken it all you want. We're always happy to get new solutions to old problems.

Glad everything worked out for you.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
jford #105083 02/11/11 02:12 PM
T
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
T
Well it aint over yet.

Follow on to this is that if you uncheck "ASIO always on" you lose sound in edit notation mode. It isnt that complicated to just check it/uncheck it as required, but I just think somewhere along the line when I havent had to do it for a while I'll forget.

BTW in the end I didnt use ASIO multi client (nor Midi Yoke which turns out to be a red herring)

Now.... is that a fat lady I hear singing?

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Hi,

Quote:

Follow on to this is that if you uncheck "ASIO always on" you lose sound in edit notation mode. It isnt that complicated to just check it/uncheck it as required, but I just think somewhere along the line when I havent had to do it for a while I'll forget.

When "ASIO Always On" is unchecked, then ASIO is only used during playback.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,396
Posts732,513
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195