Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#106212 02/20/11 03:07 PM
PowerTracks Pro Audio
Bernier Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
OK, so I have one track recorded from my synth in piano. I go to the next track to record something different and switch patches to a different instrument. My original track switches to the new patch. How can I make the first track stay with the patch I recorded it with?

THanks - lots 2 learn!

PowerTracks Pro Audio
Veteran
Veteran
Change the MIDI channel for the second track.

Either change the MIDI send channel on the synth before recording, or use 'Edit-rechannel' after the fact (making sure the whoe track is selected of course).

Synths respond to each of the sixteen MIDI channels separately. However if two tracks are set to the same MIDI channel, the synth will do what it is told; change the sound for that MIDI channel to whatever the latest command was. Even if the message came from different tracks. That is the difference between 'channels' and 'tracks'. You could, in theory, have the first part of a song play a sax on channel 4, then later have the trumpet use channel 4 (from a different track). This makes the 16 available channels flexible, but requires that you pay attention to the MIDI channels used.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
PowerTracks Pro Audio
Bernier Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
I right clicked on track 2 and there is a dialog box containing Channel: I switched that to channel 2 and closed. I noticed in the info area at the beginning of the track it said MIDI output - channel 2. I can't seem to find anywhere in the track where I can change the midi input.

I also tried selecting the whole track 2 and did edit/rechannel. It has choices of old low (which was set to 1) and old high (which was set to 16). Both low and high boxes in the new channel were set to one. Is this where I can make the changes you suggested?>

Thanks as always - Bernie

PowerTracks Pro Audio
Veteran
Veteran
Yes, you should be able to just set the new high and low to cannel 2, leaving the old numbers at 1 and 16. Then everything on the highlited track should be forced to 2.

What happened after you tried the right-click option, did you play it and see if the patches were different now? That should have worked also, but I like hardwriting the stuff, like the edit option discussed.

Go ahead and try these types of things and see what happens; you can always undo, or just reopen the file as long as you haven't resaved it after messing something up.
Have fun

Last edited by rharv; 02/20/11 09:04 PM.

PowerTracks Pro Audio
Bernier Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
No luck - no matter how I try to set different tracks to different channels, whatever patch I dial up on my synth/keyboad applies to all the midi tracks recorded (or live).

I double clicked on the header of the track, and selected "select entire track". The I went to Edit/Rechannel and put the new settings both to channel 2. (leaving the old low at 1 and the old high at 16). No luck. I am wondering if somehow the Juno keyboard/synth is overriding the PT software.

I did make some discoveries though. In order to record a guitar track on top of my midi keyboard tracks, I turn off the keyboard synth (which I am not sure I have to do), then plug my POD device in and use the POD drivers for both input and output.

Please help me fix this!! Thanks again as always - Bernie

PowerTracks Pro Audio
Bernier Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
No luck - no matter how I try to set different tracks to different channels, whatever patch I dial up on my synth/keyboard applies to all the midi tracks recorded (or live).

I double clicked on the header of the track, and selected "select entire track". The I went to Edit/Rechannel and put the new settings both to channel 2. (leaving the old low at 1 and the old high at 16). No luck. I am wondering if somehow the Juno keyboard/synth is overriding the PT software.

I did make some discoveries though. In order to record a guitar track on top of my midi keyboard tracks, I turn off the keyboard synth (which I am not sure I have to do), then plug my POD device in and use the POD drivers for both input and output.

Please help me fix this!! Thanks again as always - Bernie

PowerTracks Pro Audio
Veteran
Veteran
Sounds like the synth itself is not in multitimpral mode
May need to be set to 'performance' mode or such..

PowerTracks Pro Audio
Bernier Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Tried performance mode - actually was able to record a different instrument on a new track. However, I am limited to choices of patches in performance mode and cannot get the patch I want.

This cannot be this difficult! I have tried different combinations of drivers, no luck. I have contacted the forum where I got my Roland Juno syth from - the said I probably was in "Omni on" mode which is causing the issue, but I have no idea what that is.

Someone has got to be able to help! Different instruments from the synth on different tracks - how hard can it be??

HELPPPPP!!!

PowerTracks Pro Audio
Veteran
Veteran
Which Juno do you have? I have a couple here, maybe I can find something in the manual if its one I don't have.

Omni ON, Performance mode, there are a few things to check. Synth may be set to receive on just one channel ...

It is not hard once you know which button to push, but I'll need a model number.

PowerTracks Pro Audio
Bernier Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Roland Juno Di-60 - thanks - Bernie

PowerTracks Pro Audio
Veteran
Veteran
I checked the Roland Site and I can't get to the manual; download fails at launch. It has to be something with multitimbral use or a mode it has to be set in. Trying sending the GM reset message. Maybe it needs to be changed to GM mode.
Can you find GM mode in the manual?

PowerTracks Pro Audio
Bernier Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
I found a way to change midi channels on my Juno keyboard thru menu/setup on the juno.
I change it to channel 2, change the track I want to reocrd on in PT to channel 2. Using Juno drivers, both in and out, on PT as midi drivers. Change patch on Juno - records fine.

Playback - Same midi drivers - Juno in, Juno out. During playback, I do not hear any other midi tracks - only the last track I recorded, and the audio gutiar track, which only plays out of the PC speaker. The midi track plays the correct patch.

Playback - change the midi out driver to MS midi mapper - all tracks play back on pc speaker including the newest one, but it reverts back to piano (which is what the other midi tracks are).

Now what?

PowerTracks Pro Audio
Veteran
Veteran
Your synth is still not set up to be in multitimbral mode. See if you can set it to GM mode or something similar, maybe performance mode ... not sure what they'll call it on that model. On my recent Juno-G its performance mode if I want to assign patches. Or it can also run in GM mode if I just want standard GM soundset.

I couldn't get to your model's manual online a few days ago, I'll try again later today.
In you manual should be instructions on how to set it up to play multiple sounds from MIDI.
It appears to still be playing one sound at a time.

Either that or you are not assigning patches to the tracks.
Did you right-click the track and select a patch for it? Did you right click the track and select channel 2 for MIDI?

What is the patch number you want for channel 2?
Channel 1 is piano, so go to event list for the track on channel 1 and 'insert' a program change on MIDI chammel 1 at the beginning of the song to program 1 (basic piano). This is called hard writing the change.
Then go to the track with channel 2 on it, go to event list and 'insert' a program change on MIDI channel 2 for program 33, and see if you get two sounds from the synth when you play it then. This should force the patch changes.
If not it is not in multitimbral mode.

Last edited by rharv; 03/05/11 12:15 PM.

PowerTracks Pro Audio
Bernier Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
I did as you said and it worked fine. I did get 2 different instruments. I understand now what you mean by "hard writing" a track. It appears that it locks in that instrument based on the first event.

However, I choose my patches for tracks from the Juno synthesizer, rather than the limited patches in the program change in PT. The patch I want to use from the Juno is 92 (bells)

I do have a "performance mode" button. As I stated earlier, I cannot choose the patch I want to use. There is a limited selection in performance mode.

I'll keep working at it.

Thanks again for the continued assistance.

Bernie

PowerTracks Pro Audio
Veteran
Veteran
Make the program change 92, forget about what the GM list says that program name is, the number is what counts. If you send a message to the Juno to change to 92, it will change to 92, not caring about the patch name. However, if that sound is in a different bank, then you'll be learning about how to change banks next.

Here's something you can try if you feel up to it.

Go here -
http://www.pgmusic.com/support_miscellaneous.htm

download the patchmap for the Juno-D

Rename your file in the PT folder from "patches.ini" to "patches.old"
Then name the new downloaded patch map to "patches.ini"
PT should rebuild the patch map next time you start PT and give you a message about rebuilding the patches.bin file.
and you can see if the new patch list is closer to what you have in the Di.
It may be close and just need a few names changed, or it may be way off still. But it'll show you that you can access many more than the 128 numbers in your current GM list.

If a problem occurs, close PT and rename the files back to what they were. If anything real bad happens, the originial file is available.

Last edited by rharv; 03/05/11 03:11 PM.

PowerTracks Pro Audio
Bernier Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
If I understand correctly then patch lists are pretty much universal - what is in PT should be close to what is in my synth, correct?

I did what you intructed above. It must have rebuilt in a flash because when I opened PT I saw a quick flash but could not read it.

It appears that I should choose my patches in PT rather than on the synth, correct? If I do, it should record in the patch number assuming I have it on a separate track and midi channel than the other tracks.

I noticed when I opened the patch file in PT I had other choices - general midi, ROLAND GS,and others. Is there any meaning to this?

PowerTracks Pro Audio
Veteran
Veteran
I can't get the manual either however I owned a Roland JV880 which is fairly old so may be similar. Most Roland stuff is.The JV was an 8 part multitimberal unit. What this meant was that in performance mode there were 8 different parts that could be played. You could also save a performance setup into memory. When you called up this performance all 8 instruments were pre defined for you. I think this is were you are getting confused about the limited number of instruments available in performance.Call up a blank performance or edit an existing one.Set each of the parts one at a time to receive on different midi channels. Say 1 through 8 with drums on 10.Now when you record from your keyboard it's midi out channel is probably set to channel 1 so thus the track you record will play back on channel 1.After you're done recording you need to reset the recorded track to one of the 8 receive channels & set a patch in PT on that track.If you don't all the tracks will be sending on the channel that was used to record.If your unit is 8 part like mine you'll be limited to 6 tracks.When done you should have 8 tracks in Power Tracks that have midi channels 1 through 8 assigned for out with 8 different patches.This data will cause the 8 different parts to play those tracks with the correct patch.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
PowerTracks Pro Audio
Veteran
Veteran
Recent Junos recognize more than 8 MIDI channels; you can use all 16.

No the patch map is not universal (unless in GM mode, see below), the numbering system is though. If you want patch #86 then send program change #86 on the correct MIDI channel and the synth will play it. The name doesn't matter - it's the number that matters. That's why I like to hard write the program changes as described above.

If you are using the GM soundset, then the answer would be yes. The numbers and names are designed to match in GM mode. That is the beauty of GM or GS modes; they are universal.
But for your aynth in performance mode you should be able to use any sound availble on the synth, not just the GM soundset. Gm is a certain set of sounds, and your synth has many more sounds to offer.

Last edited by rharv; 03/05/11 04:27 PM.

PowerTracks Pro Audio
Bernier Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
So say I want piano on one track and bass on another.
1. set Juno to piano and record on track 1, channel 1 in PT
2. Go into PT and set the patch to piano
3. Select track 2
3. Go into performance mode on the Juino and edit/new patch to bass (whatever number that is) setting to modo channel 2
4. In performance mode, play bass and record on track 2, channel 2.
5. Go into PT and change patch on channel 2 to bass

Is this correct?

Thanks

PowerTracks Pro Audio
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

So say I want piano on one track and bass on another.
1. set Juno to piano and record on track 1, channel 1 in PT
2. Go into PT and set the patch to piano
3. Select track 2
3. Go into performance mode on the Juino and edit/new patch to bass (whatever number that is) setting to modo channel 2
4. In performance mode, play bass and record on track 2, channel 2.
5. Go into PT and change patch on channel 2 to bass

Is this correct?

Thanks

I think you have it grasped somewhat.Make sure that the receive channel on the Juno for each part has been set to the appropriate channel of the track.Make sure after the track has been recorded that the channel number matches, EXample. If in the juno part one is set to channel 2 and you record the bass track make sure that in Power Tracks that that bass track is also set to output on channel 2 and that you have assigned a bass patch as well.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,398
Posts732,537
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200