Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#106227 - 03/05/11 05:40 PM [PowerTracks Pro Audio] Re: Recording Question [Re: rharv]
Bernier Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Wisconsin
If I understand correctly then patch lists are pretty much universal - what is in PT should be close to what is in my synth, correct?

I did what you intructed above. It must have rebuilt in a flash because when I opened PT I saw a quick flash but could not read it.

It appears that I should choose my patches in PT rather than on the synth, correct? If I do, it should record in the patch number assuming I have it on a separate track and midi channel than the other tracks.

I noticed when I opened the patch file in PT I had other choices - general midi, ROLAND GS,and others. Is there any meaning to this?

#106228 - 03/05/11 06:05 PM [PowerTracks Pro Audio] Re: Recording Question [Re: Bernier]
silvertones Offline
Veteran

I can't get the manual either however I owned a Roland JV880 which is fairly old so may be similar. Most Roland stuff is.The JV was an 8 part multitimberal unit. What this meant was that in performance mode there were 8 different parts that could be played. You could also save a performance setup into memory. When you called up this performance all 8 instruments were pre defined for you. I think this is were you are getting confused about the limited number of instruments available in performance.Call up a blank performance or edit an existing one.Set each of the parts one at a time to receive on different midi channels. Say 1 through 8 with drums on 10.Now when you record from your keyboard it's midi out channel is probably set to channel 1 so thus the track you record will play back on channel 1.After you're done recording you need to reset the recorded track to one of the 8 receive channels & set a patch in PT on that track.If you don't all the tracks will be sending on the channel that was used to record.If your unit is 8 part like mine you'll be limited to 6 tracks.When done you should have 8 tracks in Power Tracks that have midi channels 1 through 8 assigned for out with 8 different patches.This data will cause the 8 different parts to play those tracks with the correct patch.
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"

#106229 - 03/05/11 06:17 PM [PowerTracks Pro Audio] Re: Recording Question [Re: silvertones]
rharv Offline
Veteran

Loc: Marysville, Mi. USA
Recent Junos recognize more than 8 MIDI channels; you can use all 16.

No the patch map is not universal (unless in GM mode, see below), the numbering system is though. If you want patch #86 then send program change #86 on the correct MIDI channel and the synth will play it. The name doesn't matter - it's the number that matters. That's why I like to hard write the program changes as described above.

If you are using the GM soundset, then the answer would be yes. The numbers and names are designed to match in GM mode. That is the beauty of GM or GS modes; they are universal.
But for your aynth in performance mode you should be able to use any sound availble on the synth, not just the GM soundset. Gm is a certain set of sounds, and your synth has many more sounds to offer.

Edited by rharv (03/05/11 06:27 PM)

#106230 - 03/05/11 06:31 PM [PowerTracks Pro Audio] Re: Recording Question [Re: rharv]
Bernier Offline
Journeyman

So say I want piano on one track and bass on another.
1. set Juno to piano and record on track 1, channel 1 in PT
2. Go into PT and set the patch to piano
3. Select track 2
3. Go into performance mode on the Juino and edit/new patch to bass (whatever number that is) setting to modo channel 2
4. In performance mode, play bass and record on track 2, channel 2.
5. Go into PT and change patch on channel 2 to bass

Is this correct?

Thanks

#106231 - 03/06/11 07:25 AM [PowerTracks Pro Audio] Re: Recording Question [Re: Bernier]
silvertones Offline
Veteran

Quote:

So say I want piano on one track and bass on another.
1. set Juno to piano and record on track 1, channel 1 in PT
2. Go into PT and set the patch to piano
3. Select track 2
3. Go into performance mode on the Juino and edit/new patch to bass (whatever number that is) setting to modo channel 2
4. In performance mode, play bass and record on track 2, channel 2.

Is this correct?

Thanks

I think you have it grasped somewhat.Make sure that the receive channel on the Juno for each part has been set to the appropriate channel of the track.Make sure after the track has been recorded that the channel number matches, EXample. If in the juno part one is set to channel 2 and you record the bass track make sure that in Power Tracks that that bass track is also set to output on channel 2 and that you have assigned a bass patch as well.
15.6" Monitor

#106232 - 03/06/11 12:12 PM [PowerTracks Pro Audio] Re: Recording Question [Re: silvertones]
rharv Offline
Veteran

Quote:

In PT I set the patch number to the bass sound I want from the synth. Not by name, by number.

The names are only close if you are in GM mode. I suspect you have a performance mode and a GM mode. Using the actual patch number is more reliable. Names could vary. If you are using the word 'bass' in the PT patchlist, it may/may not correspond to the same number and sound in your synth. I would use the patch number from the Juno, and hard write it as before for the most reliable method.

#106233 - 03/06/11 07:20 PM [PowerTracks Pro Audio] Re: Recording Question [Re: rharv]
Bernier Offline
Journeyman

I went into my Juno and went into performance mode. I was not sure how to edit any of the pre-programed info. I was told I can program 16 midi channels with different instruments. I dialed up to 63: SEQ TEMPLATE and somehow ended up in 563: SEQ TEMPLATE. From there I assigned part 1 to piano and pressed the write button. It said it was saved. Part 2 I assigned to Bass. I assigned part 3 to patch 75 on the Keyboard function of my Juno - a patch called "Music Bells" . I then went back to my DAW and assigned channel 3 to patch 75 and chose the Roland Patch list. 75 is piccallo! I have already went to the Juno web site and downloaded the patch list to my DAW and imported it to patches.ini. However, the patches on my Juno device do not match those that come up on my DAW, even if I choose the Roland patch list. I did get my DAW to record different instruments on different channels. The problem is, if I don't have my Juno plugged in a choose it's midi drivers everything in my DAW reverts to piano.
So, if I keep my Juno plugged in and use the Juno drivers for both in and out, I can record different instruments on different channels. Next step - how can I save all of the parts together to a .wav file, keeping the intruments sounds I want, without everything reverting to piano?

Thanks as usual! Bernie

#106234 - 03/07/11 07:56 AM [PowerTracks Pro Audio] Re: Recording Question [Re: rharv]
silvertones Offline
Veteran

Quote:

Quote:

In PT I set the patch number to the bass sound I want from the synth. Not by name, by number.

The names are only close if you are in GM mode. I suspect you have a performance mode and a GM mode. Using the actual patch number is more reliable. Names could vary. If you are using the word 'bass' in the PT patchlist, it may/may not correspond to the same number and sound in your synth. I would use the patch number from the Juno, and hard write it as before for the most reliable method.

Yea I should of said to a bass patch whatever number that happens to be.He really should be using the appropriate patch map for the Juno to avoid this confusion.
15.6" Monitor

#106235 - 03/07/11 10:54 AM [PowerTracks Pro Audio] Re: Recording Question [Re: silvertones]
rharv Offline
Veteran

Quote:

Next step - how can I save all of the parts together to a .wav file, keeping the intruments sounds I want, without everything reverting to piano?

When using an external synth, you'll have to record the instruments as they play the seq file.

Run an audio cable from the synth to the line in of the soundcard, and record it.
Then you can mute the MIDI.
Many of us like to record each instrument to its own audio track first (for more control), but you can record them all at once if you like.
Then use the 'Audio - merge audio and DXi to stereo wave file' command.

#106236 - 03/07/11 11:48 AM [PowerTracks Pro Audio] Re: Recording Question [Re: rharv]
silvertones Offline
Veteran

Also take some time to REALLY UNDERSTAND how the performance mode is setup and how to set it to what you need. This is key.
15.6" Monitor

#106237 - 03/07/11 06:44 PM [PowerTracks Pro Audio] Re: Recording Question [Re: silvertones]
Bernier Offline
Journeyman

My understanding now then, is that I am either in "performance" mode or "GM" mode. The issue I have had is that in performance mode I can get separate instrument sounds (patches) to record. If I leave performance mode, everything plays back as piano.

Also, the Roland patch map I downloaded does not have the same sounds as those that show up on my Roland keyboard. As I mentioned earlier, patch 75 on my keyboad is totally different than assigning a track in PT to the same patch number.

As always, help is appreciated.

#106238 - 03/12/11 04:17 PM [PowerTracks Pro Audio] Re: Recording Question [Re: Bernier]
Bernier Offline
Journeyman

I found a possible solution to my problem. Please let me know if I'm on the right track...
I loaded up my song on PT with different instruments on different tracks. I set my keyboard/synth to performance mode. I plugged a cable into the outputs on the back of the keyboard/synth, and plugged that into the mic input of my PC. I then loaded a different audio program on my PC to record. I set it to record and it recorded all the instruments that I wanted. It appears that the sound is being processed by the keyboard/synth, running it through the midi patches selecyted on the synth (not PT) and outputting it from the synth to the audio out on the synth, then into record on my PC. The only issuer now is my one audio track is not being output - only the midi tracks.

Help appreciated!

Bernie

#106239 - 03/12/11 05:28 PM [PowerTracks Pro Audio] Re: Recording Question [Re: Bernier]
rharv Offline
Veteran

Quote:

I then loaded a different audio program on my PC

No reason to do this. Just select the correct audio driver in PT Options Preferences Audio Drivers button.
If it was the 'Mic In' connection, set PT to that. It's not a good choice, but if it works for now ...

Look on the input side and select the soundcard with the 'mic in' as the port being used, make sure it's the only one highlited, then click 'Move selected device to top' button.

Now it is the default recording device.
Leaving things set up exactly as described by you in your post above, as far as MIDI cables and Audio cables, go to a new blank track in PT, right-click and set Type to audio-stereo.

Now hit record, and you should get a new track of audio from your synth.
Now yer rollin'.
You can also mute/unmute MIDI tracks and record each different patch from the synth to its own audio track for even more control.
I think you are really close to being really happy.

#106240 - 03/12/11 06:32 PM [PowerTracks Pro Audio] Re: Recording Question [Re: rharv]
Bernier Offline
Journeyman

If I am playing s song from PT through my keyboard/synth how can PT also record that output at the same time it is playing it?

That being said, I went to PT Options Preferences Audio Drivers button, and when the drivers window came up I selected Microphone and move selected to top, which it did not do. It just stayed on Microsoft Sound Mapper.

If I do get this to work, when I record will the audio track(guitar) record with the midi tracks?

Also, I was thinking maybe there is some way I can covert my POD guitar input to midi so it recoprds as midi. I tried converting audio track to midi - didn't work well.

I was looking at some of the other PT features and one I found was to be able to change the key by semitones. This would help as I have a very limited vocal range. However, I'd want to move all of the tracks by the same semitones to get them in my range after I've recorded them - is that possible?

#106241 - 03/13/11 10:30 AM [PowerTracks Pro Audio] Re: Recording Question [Re: Bernier]
rharv Offline
Veteran

Do you have a line in as opposed to the mic in? It would sound better.

Yes, you can record your keyboard as it plays, it is receiving MIDI from PT, generating the sound, and the idea is to record that sound.

Do you have a different selection than soundmapper? It may be better to select the one named for the actual soundcard instead of the OS.

Whichever you select to try, just make sure it is the only one highlited so it will be the default input.

"Move selcted to top" is only for the output, I forgot that.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2018 - Xtra Styles PAK Quick Start Tutorial Video

Our latest video includes a Quick Start tutorial on the installation, locations, and use of the Band-in-a-Box® Xtra Styles PAKs in Version 2018 for Windows. Video: Xtra Styles PAK Quick Start Tutorial

We have put all of our Xtra Styles PAKs on SALE! Until December 31st, purchase any Xtra Styles PAK (1 - 4) for just $29 each! (reg. $49) www.pgmusic.com/xtrastyles.php?os=win

User Blog - How To Record a Cover Song Using Band-in-a-Box and RealBand

Joanne Cooper's final blog post for 2017, How to record a cover song using Band-in-a-Box and RealBand is a must-read!

Joanne summarizes the steps she took to produce her cover of "Old Lang Syne" - her final result was posted to the User Showcase Forum: Listen to Auld Lang Syne

https://www.joannecooper.co.za/blog/blog/how-to-record-a-cover-song-using-band-in-a-box-and-realband

Announcing…The Birth of a Song (w/Floyd Jane)

We are excited to announce the release of a new project: The Birth of a Song (w/Floyd Jane)

Songwriter Floyd Jane shows the songwriting process from inspiration to performance and publication: http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=IYMMZVvQdCw

The idea for this project came about when many members on this forum and elsewhere were asking questions about the song writing process. There are many aspects, and many parts of it necessary to create a song, get it arranged, performed, and then published on the internet. So we asked the great songwriter Floyd Jane, who is a regular member on this forum, if he could help. Floyd agreed and was even able to collaborate with other forum members, Janice and Bud. The result is this video we put together that you can see on YouTube or Facebook, called "The Birth of a Song (w/Floyd Jane)".

We hope this video helps other songwriters with their songwriting process, and also shows them tools that are available to them along the way. Also, we mention this User Showcase Forum, and hope to see many new aspiring or accomplished songwriters join this community :blush:

A big Thank You to Floyd for sharing your knowledge with the community and making this possible. And to Janice and Bud for your great collaboration!

Here is Floyd's original forum post for his song "A Little Bit Of Me": http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=433190

Check out Floyd / Janice & Bud’s music here:
http://floydjane.com/
https://www.janiceandbud.com/

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows - 49 Requests Fulfilled!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows boasts more than 50 new features... and a lot of the new features fill the requests posted by program users!

Some of these include:

Q. I am learning guitar. The RealTracks are very helpful in that I can hear great guitar players, and most of the tracks have tab and notation as well. But there is much more to guitar, could you include some videos of some of the RealTracks Artists? Because I would learn much more from seeing a guitarist than just hearing them.

A. We have a major new feature called "Video RealTracks." These work and sound like RealTracks, but you get to see a video of the Guitarist (or whatever instrument) playing as well. The amazing thing is that this works with any chord progression you type in. So, if you want to learn to play like the great guitarist Brent Mason, for example, you can type in chords to any progression you are interested in, and then hear and see a video of Brent soloing over your progression. Now you can learn much quicker, as it helps to see how a musician is performing, as well as to hear.

Q. I love the Audio Chord Wizard, as it figures out chords from mp3 and other audio files. But it is a separate program from Band-in-a-Box, and I can’t go back and forth to change things easily.

A. We've solved that, as BiaB 2018 has integrated the Audio Chord Wizard directly into Band-in-a-Box. Now load an audio file into BiaB, open the Audio Edit Window – Audio Chord Wizard mode, and let it automatically figure out the bar lines and chords for the song.

Q. I like to save songs as MP3 files, and can't do this with BiaB, except a very low quality one, 64kbps.

A. We've improved this, by adding support for Windows Media Foundation. This allows you to save MP3 in your choice of resolutions, up to very high 320mpbs. Better still, it works on current versions of Windows (Windows 7,8,10) and also on older versions too (Vista, XP).

We've answered 49 questions - review all of these answers on our forum post "49 of your Problems solved? List of 49 Requests fulfilled in Band-in-a-Box 2018" here.

All of the new features in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows can be reviewed at http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.new.htm

RealBand® 2018 for Windows Build 3 Update Available!

RealBand 2018 users can update their version with the latest patch, Build 3. Download this patch here

Summary of Changes since 2018 Build 3:

Added: Section Numbers supported. All section letter menus now include numbers 1 through 9 in addition to letters A through Z.
Fixed: Section letters in Notation Window were not being resized if the notation was zoomed in/out
Fixed: RealBand might freeze when generating audio harmonies
Fixed: Loading in a BB song (MGU/SGU) or generating realtracks could freeze up the program.
Fixed: Chords in Notation/LeadSheet on 1st beat of a bar were being drawn too close to bar lines.
Fixed: Support for XP and Vista.

http://www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#2018_3

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 Build 505 Update Available!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows users can update their version with the latest patch - Build 505.

This patch can be downloaded here.

Summary of changes for Build 505:

Added: You can now put Section Numbers in your song. Previously you could only use letters A-Z, but now you can use 1-9 as well.
Added:You can now filter styles in the StylePicker for styles that contain Video RealTracks.
Fixed: Band-in-a-Box would crash with error "Procedure entry point MFTEnumEx could not be found in the Dynamic Link Library Mfplat.DLL" while starting up if using Windows Vista.
Fixed: Band-in-a-Box would crash with error message "dwmapi.dll cannot be found" while starting up if using Windows XP.
Fixed: The Transcribe feature in the Audio Edit window was not always working.
Fixed: The Windows Audio Devices dialog might show garbage text for names of devices if not running Band-in-a-Box in English.
Fixed: There was no Quality selector in the Render to Audio File dialog if rendering MP3 on Windows 7 or earlier.
Fixed: There were visual artifacts in the leadsheet & notation windows when moving the cursor.
Fixed: Using the Transpose or stretching features in the Audio Edit window might cause an access violation if the audio track is mono.
Improved: Band-in-a-Box will start up faster.
Improved: Importing ABC Notation files has been improved.
Updated: Help file and manuals.
Updated: RealTracks Artist bio's.

http://www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#505

New! Video RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows!

NEW with Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows... Video RealTracks Sets!

Video RealTracks allow you to see the RealTracks artist playing that track - you can use them just like any other RealTrack, and you can generate a video which will display the musician playing your song exactly as you hear it. You can also include a chord sheet or notation in the video.
TIP: If you load one of the video RealTracks bands, you will have video RealTracks on 5 tracks, and you can make a video of 1-5 musicians!

We've added Video RealTracks Set 1: Pop Ballad Band to our Free Bonus PAK included in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows packages during our December special.
Video RealTracks Set 2: Country TrainBeat Band is included in the 2018 49-PAK, along with 40 Bonus UNRELEASED RealTracks, 22 MIDI SuperTracks, 101 Instrumental Studies, and Artist Performance Set 8: Traditional Songs Sung by Béatrix Méthé.

SPECIAL OFFER: During our Band-in-a-Box® 2018 Holiday Special, purchase our "Video RealTracks Set 3-6 Special Bundle Offer" to complete your purchase with the remaining Video RealTracks Sets for the low price of just $49! http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.videorealtracks.htm

Learn more about the new Video RealTracks and see them in action: Video link - "Video RealTracks Sets 1-6 for Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows"

Forum Stats
26712 Members
50 Forums
48871 Topics
399581 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
kaushalmalkan11, JonasJ, SuprNatral, Brince, Complefro

26711 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Matt Finley 398
VideoTrack 364