Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#107053 02/27/11 10:33 PM
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hi all,

After a couple weeks off, I finally got back to my computer and wrote another song today. It was almost 90 degrees here today, and I started thinking about summer time, and came up with this little tune. Hope you enjoy it...

Summer Time

All the instruments are RT/RD...
Bass - 564-Electric, Blues, Monday SW065
Drum -: Blues Monday SW8 #5
Piano - 906-El Rhodes, Smooth Cool SW 100
Guitar - 606-Nylon, Chet Fishing SW 120
Guitar - 950-Acoustic, Rhythm, Country Boogie AB SW 110
Guitar - 408-Resonator, Bckgd, Allis EV 120
Mandolyn - 610-Rhythm Choppy
Fiddle - 1148-Background, Country Boogie SW 100 (Outside)

Steve Young
Music
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of." - Robert Schumann
User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Great job Steve! I love the song, and the combination of RT that you have, and nice arrangements (shots etc) making a real nice sound there. Looks like you've got blues, smooth jazz, country and pop RT all in one song, and they sound real tight!

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Steve,

I think this is just OUTSTANDING!

Great tune! Very smooth vocal, a good mix and an excellent job of picking your RT's and having them gel so well. Loved the intro and how you brought the various instruments in, also how they dropped out for the last verse and then came back in to the end, the transitions were very smooth. I never felt like I was listening to RT's... and I feel like I have a pretty good feel for what they sound like.

This may be the best use of RT's I've heard to date!

In case you couldn't tell, I Really Liked It!

Greg

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Yep, what they said!

User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Yes, and also the tempo range of the RT chosen (65 to 120), and the song is at about a tempo of 125. Yet they still sound natural - not tempo-stretched.

Last edited by PeterGannon; 02/28/11 09:46 AM.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Greg,

Thanks so much for your very kind and generous comments! I'm so glad you like the layout of the song. Those are some pretty humbling compliments, and I truly appreciate them!

Robb, my friend of many words ,

I really appreciate your listen, and glad you liked it!

Peter,

Thanks so much. You and your amazing staff are heroes to me. As a musician, I could put together these songs okay, but it would take hours and hours, and a large investment in musical instruments, mics, etc. And I might even possibly have to practice more to improve to a level that wouldn't just totally embarrass me! But seriously, Band In A Box has been the most instrumental tool in my bag as a songwriter/musician. It has enabled me to write/perform songs at a virtually uninhibited pace.

Concerning using instruments and styles that people wouldn't normally place together, I always try to keep an open mind, and listen to various combinations before ruling them out. Sometimes that EV instrument will work with that SW instrument. And I have had success with using Waltz parts in 4/4 times as well. You just have to listen, and use your imagination. And with the Elastique, even the tempos can be more flexible.

Then - regenerate, regenerate, regenerate, (each individual instrument) until you are happy with each part, cohesively!

Again thanks so much for all the kind comments!

Hope you all have a blessed day!

Steve

Steve Young
Music
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of." - Robert Schumann
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
OUTSTANDING SONG!

It’s all been said. All I can add is that it sounded live to me.

Great job.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
User Showcase
M
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
M
Very nice song!!!
With all of the snow that we have had here in Ohio lately, I am so ready for summer.

Thank you so much for the laid back, easy going song taking me back to some "Summertime"s I used to enjoy.

Keep up the great songwriting, Steve.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Steve,

I'm going to duck as I say this - whatever you used on the vocal - delay or some panning effect made me dizzy bouncing around my headphones and it was difficult for me to listen to the song.

The real tracks and arrangement are nice but I found that vocal effect way way distracting.

Maybe I'll try listening again later on speakers.

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Quote:

I'm going to duck as I say this - whatever you used on the vocal - delay or some panning effect made me dizzy bouncing around my headphones and it was difficult for me to listen to the song.

The real tracks and arrangement are nice but I found that vocal effect way way distracting.

Maybe I'll try listening again later on speakers.

Josie,

I just listened a couple times with earphones and I didn't notice what your talking about. However, I have a similar problem with a cymbal thing on a recent song of Noel & Mario's, but nobody else mentioned it so I'm not sure if it's just me or what? Could be gremlins or tribbles!

Greg

User Showcase
P
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
P
Hi Steve

Really liked your song ! Like always, what catches me with an original song, is the blend between voice, lyrics and arrangement. For my own personal taste, you got it all in that one ! Nostalgia in the lyrics, but ending with you still lovin' the summer time. Living in the present is important. But that being said, you also got me reminiscing about my own recollections of summer times...

Always listen to songs with my headphones. Didn't get what Josie was talking about though.

Thanks for sharing.

Best of all and hope your day is a nice one

Pierre

IMac OSX 10.6.5 / latest BIAB
vista BIAB 2008
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Great track and mixing in of the RT's. It sounds like a live studio mix. Excellent fills and transitions. Dang that sounds great!

Now at bandcamp: Crows Say Vee-Eh @ bandcamp or soundcloud: Kevin @ soundcloud
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
By the way ... how much of this was done in BIAB and how much was done in RealBand?

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hi Josie!

You don't need to duck. Sometimes even Rachel has that reaction when she hears my voice - and that's when I'm just talking to her!

Seriously, I don't know what you are hearing. I never listened to the mp3 before I uploaded it. I only listened to the wav file, and I am not hearing it. I don't have very much effects on my vocals, so I am wondering if there may be some mp3 artifact going on there. I did notice the eq on my voice seems a slightly "harsh" to my ears. Having said that, what I uploaded is still a rough mix. I had just finished recording it, and roughed out a mix to upload. I never do a final mix until a few days after recording, because I usually record as I am writing. I like to let everything sort of "settle down" in my musical mind before I mix. Since I do my own writing/arranging/recording/& mixing, that's the closest I can get to being objective about my production.

I will be taking another listen to the song within the next couple of days when I have the time, and make adjustments accordingly. If I can find the problem you are hearing, I will make sure to fix it.

Thanks so much for your honest observation! You input is always valuable to me.

Steve

Steve Young
Music
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Mario,

Thanks so much for taking the time to listen! I am honored that you like it!

Mark1008,

I am glad you like it. We had a cold front blow in yesterday, so it only got up to 76. I almost had to put on a long sleeved shirt!

Pierre,

Thanks for your comments! The older I get, the more nostalgic I become. But being the optimist that I am, I tend to also look at today, toward a good future!

Kemmrich,

I am so glad you like the song! I generally do all my arranging in BIAB. When I write a song, I write it in a linear fashion in BIAB (no repeats). Then when I have all the bars created, I go back and work on the arrangement, using the bar settings. I generally have to do very little cutting and pasting in my DAW. Then when the arrangement is finished, I render each instrument to an individual wav file. I then use Logic Express 9 on my Mac Mini to record vocals, mix, etc. (I am still using BIAB on a PC, version 2011 with all the RT/RD.)

Steve Young
Music
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Steve,
I got my husband to listen on the headphones and he hears it too. So either we are getting artifacts here - which it could be because it takes a long time to load - or something else is going on. We use ATH-M40fs phones.

Just curious, did you triple track your vocal with the main in the center and one on each side? It sounds like it could be the left or right double coming up in too much in volume in different spots at different times. Maybe that could give the vox a moving or swishing sound. I don't know.

It's not constant throughout the whole song. It's there at the beginning goes away comes back.....

If nobody hears it but us not a big deal.

I am glad he heard it too so I know I'm not hearing things. LOL.

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Sundance: There is a "waver" there on the vocals a little. It might be that the mixing of the RT's is so good that the vocal recording and mixing is just not "in the mix" as much as it should be. But it is better than anything I can do (ha, ha).

EDIT: How much compression are you using on the vocal tracks? I am trying my best to add zero compression on the actual vocal tracks. It does add to the "swirly" effect sometimes.

Last edited by Kemmrich; 03/01/11 12:07 PM.

User Showcase
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Very well produced song. Excellent lyrics. Nice flow. Thanks for sharing.

My Music Reverbnation
My Music MySpace
Read My Blog

My Tunes

Psalm 57:7 My heart, O God, is steadfast, my heart is steadfast; I will sing and make music.
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Josie,

I just re-rendered my wav file to mp3, and uploaded it. The only change I made was a slight adjustment to the eq on my lead vocal to make it not quite as harsh. I still didn't hear what you were pointing out. (I'm not at all saying you don't hear it.) I think it must be some mp3 artifacts, especially if you say it comes and goes, because the mix on my vocals is very static. And my lead vocal is only one track, dead center. The 2 background harmony tracks are one each, panned one some to the left, and the other some to the right.

Kemmrich,

I agree about compression. I always place my compression in the chain before any effects other than eq. That way any reverb or delay, etc doesn't get compressed. That cuts down on the "swirly" effect.

Please let me know if this makes a difference.

Steve Young
Music
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Robert,

Thanks so much! Congratulations on your BIG songwriting month!

Steve Young
Music
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,398
Posts732,548
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199