Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
F
Fifer Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
F
Like most of you, I have all 77 midi style sets, and, while I'm not a luddite in relation to Real Tracks, I really lament the downgrading of many great midi tracks / patterns etc. I know they are still there, but everything is now oriented around RTs. Incorporating midi instruments is a pain, as they are associated with styles, and, unless you are using them regularly, there is no realistic way of remembering that, say, there is a great piano part in the "country 1 soundtrack" style on Disk 50 (there is - try it). Another example is that for me, disk 73 - the "Steely Dan" disk - was a highpoint of the midi era, with a lot of great instrumental parts which could still be very useful, assuming it was easier to find and use them (and I have been using BAIB for about 12 years so I don't thing it's lack of knowledge on my part).

There are literally hundreds of great parts, often every bit as good as RTs languishing in the midi style disks. They cover a lot of areas where RTs are thinner on the ground - like rock piano, rock electric piano, organ, strings, pads etc, and even some types of basses. They are less good in terms of acoustic and electric guitar parts, and maybe brass (although with some effort,even these can sound good).

I was wondering whether there was a way of bringing them back to life. The obvious route would be through a midi part browser, similar to the RT browser. This is something I, and others, have mentioned before.

Another option might be something like "Studio Tracks" - like "Real Tracks", but not quite the same process. These could be created by playing the midi parts (duplicating the types of progressions played by the studio musicians in creating RTs) through a good sample set / virtual instrument (like Ivory, the B4 or Lounge Lizard) and creating wav/WMA files which could be used in exactly the same way as Real Tracks (ideally through the same browser). Given that the midi parts were played by humans originally (perhaps I assume too much!), I doubt that it would be a trade descriptions issue.

I feel that this would allow years of work by Peter and his team to have a whole new lease of life.

My 2p and happy to be shot down in flames.

Brian

Veteran
Veteran
I use mostly RTs however there are some instruments were MIDI is fine. Piano, strings, organ. What I do is first of all in the style picker is an "edit" button. Click on that and you'll see that you can see that you can create your own categories & also your own style names as well.I have a Category for the above mentioned instruments as well as self made styles that are just kick drum.If I find a piano in some style I like I open the editor rename it, give it a description that is meaningful to me and save it in the "piano" category. These user styles will then show in the Style Picker both in RB & BIAB.This feature is real useful in RB were you can generate just a single midi instrument from a midi style.Not so useful in BIAB unless you take the time to make "Hybrid "styles of your own.I was once a Jammer user & I know folks who also have used it like that ability to choose single instruments.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
F
Fifer Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
F
Hi John

That's a nice solution - as with many things, I wish I had started doing something similar when there were about 24 built in styles and a couple of dozen add-ons, rather than several thousand BAIB ended up with!

It still raises the issue about working with midi and real tracks at the same time, with the need for hybrid styles (for example, in order to audition the midi part with the other RT parts still playing) and the balance issues posed by the considerable volume difference between most RTs and the parts played through Forte/VSC etc.

I suppose the other point is that folks like you and I (and many of the "older" forum members) used BAIB for years as Midi only and so have a good level of familiarity both with working with the midi styles and where the "good" parts are (and hence how to extract them). Not the least of the problems is that parts within midi styles are only ever labelled "Bass, Drums, Piano, Strings, Guitar", even where the piano part is actually an organ, the strings are actually a synth pad and the guitar is a horn section!

Someone coming fresh to this (the "Real Tracks Generation") would be likely to miss out on such a huge legacy of useful parts. Working with individual parts from midi styles alongside RTs is, I suspect, far from intutive, and really would require a high level of familiarity with the programme.

Brian

Veteran
Veteran
I have requested in the past that you be able to right click on an instrument and instead of "add RT" also have a choice of "add midi inst" and have a list of ALL the instruments available to choose from.This would be a mammoth list though I'm afraid.Then again it may not be as large as one would think first because the instruments could be grouped in categories & second I bet there's a lot of redundancy in the use of instruments through out the styles.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
Veteran
Veteran
I agree totally about having a rethink after all the euphoria about realtracks. I did a song a few weeks ago with only realdrums and a midi style, and I think it sounded as good if not better than using realtracks.

I think what we have got used to with midi is we review a midi style without reviewing the individual parts, so many styles it would be kind of an impossible task to review all the individual parts, a lot of the midi styles are rubbish anyway so out of date, but that’s not the midi fault, just boring styles.

I am all for a picker for midi instruments so that we can all add our own favourites to it.

musiclover

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
Veteran
Veteran
Brian,
I find the midi styles can be overwhelming sometimes when I'm looking for something specific like a piano part. So thanks for a heads up on that country piano and SD. There is some great midi once you find it.

It's even harder once in realband. For example when I change styles in realband to try to search for a midi piano, I use the filter but I haven't figured out how to get more than one result. Quite frustrating so I usually do it in BIAB but when I've already moved the song to RB it would be nice to be able to more easily search midi styles there.

Veteran
Veteran
Fifer,

I remember the day I brought my Tyros home and plugged it into Biab. It sounded like I had a brand new band playing behind me. The hurdle with a midi style lies in the sound of your playback device. If you don't have something up-to-date, instrument sound-wise, you get frustrated with Biab, even though it is NOT Biab's fault. Thus the RT's . . . .

I agree with you 100 % about the midi styles. Some of them are better then the Real Styles or Tracks. I have overcome the "I wished this midi style was done with real instruments" by using RealBand to convert the midi part(s) to wave files in my song and THEN adding each Real Track part, if any, until I have what I want.

It all lies within our midi playback device to make "it" happen. I would encourage anyone who is using PG Software to invest in a sound module/keyboard/Vst(i)/keyboard that will have real sounding midi instrument patches.

Also, having the "Hybrid Style Maker" available to us in Biab, we can make our own midi styles with just a few mouse clicks. I would also encourage everyone who uses Biab to invest some time with the Hybrid Style Maker. The HSM is another powerful tool when it comes to customizing a midi style or making one completely from scratch.

I think the PG Team have been busy with the latest software updates and getting the RT's recorded for it. I don't think we have seen the last of the midi styles either. At least, I really hope not?

Killer Sound Module + Biab + RealBand = Makin it happen.

Trax

J
Journeyman
Journeyman
J
A big +1 on this idea.

I've been a bit frustrated lately, hoping there could be an easy way to add Midi parts in BIAB to a mostly RT song.

While the RTs are great, sometimes you're needing a different kind of part that you remember from the Midi styles. A midi part picker, similar to the RT and RD picker would be fantastic, especially if there were a way to preview it like we can now preview the RTs.

I'm sure this would require a massive amount of work for PG, but it would be a great asset to BIAB.

John

Expert
Expert
I agree with Fifer. A good MIDI file + a good sound equipment can make a very good job. It depends also of the styles and the used instruments. For ex. brass instruments parts are harder to reproduce than strings parts.
I think some early MIDI files of BIAB should need to be reviewed and enhanced to make them sound better. I did the job on some styles I often use, but it's a huge work. Some examples : add enveloppes on strings parts, mainly for attack and release of the sounds, tweak the velocity of individual notes inside a pattern - so get rid of constant velocities on parts ! - , add bass patterns when next chord goes down a 3rd like would play a real bassist, add specific /prefill fill patterns not only for drums but also for some instruments to add intensity in the groove, etc.. delete all grid drums and replace them by live drums, etc...
MIDI is not dated : see the PSR or Tyros keyboards for example, they work with MIDI files as styles.

Reach for excellence
F
Fifer Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
F
A lot of the early midi (and, I suppose later midi) styles were written when the available playback equipment (whether hardware or software) had only one, or at most two or three velocity layers. The VSC, which was the BAIB staple for years, has, I think, one. Often older midi files often sound better, and arguably more real, on the VSC than on much better equipment. When I try playing BAIB piano parts through Sonar's bundled piano VST, they often sound lumpy as the piano has 127 virtual velocity layers and the part was compiled to be played through a VSTi with 1! I usually use Sonar's midi compressor to even out the peaks and troughs in velocities and restrict the number of velocity layers in the sample sets I use. BAIB string parts often sound fairly awful in good quality sample sets I assume for the same reason. These things are easily sorted though and are really just part of the workflow. Until I got a 64bit Windows 7 PC I always loaded VSC in any Sonar project and routed any midi parts through that first to get a better sense of what they sounded like before then running them through bigger, better sample sets, and making any amendments to the midi velocities. Sadly now, VSC won't even intall on my PC ... Isn't progress great.

Brian

J
Journeyman
Journeyman
J
Fifer:

I think this is a good idea. Maybe you could contact the Forum Administrator about moving it to the BIAB wishlist forum.

John

F
Fifer Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
F
The one thing about the "wishlist" forum is that hardly anyone reads it and virtually no-one ever replies to / adds to the posts! I posted here so that forum members would, if they wish, add to the debate, contribute their ways of working etc (as a number of folks have done very usefully).

I suppose the best approach is to cross post, and that's probably what I should have done.

Brian

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

The one thing about the "wishlist" forum is that hardly anyone reads it and virtually no-one ever replies to / adds to the posts! I posted here so that forum members would, if they wish, add to the debate, contribute their ways of working etc (as a number of folks have done very usefully).

I suppose the best approach is to cross post, and that's probably what I should have done.

Brian

Over the years I have seen quite a few "New Features" implemented in Band in a Box that started life on the Wishlist Forum. (And some requests that never seem to get fulfilled as well...)

But I have become convinced that the Wishlist Forum is the place where the development team goes to look for possible new features when that time comes around and that having your wish there will make certain that it will be where they will be looking.

As for your specific request, well, it is a good idea, I'm not certain whether implementation will be all that easy or not due to the fact that until the introduction of RealTracks, Band in a Box simply did not work that way. There never has been a way to add MIDI style file tracks one at a time as we can with the RealTracks and I am not sure what that would entail in the way of development in order to get it to happen.

--Mac

jhg Offline
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Brian:

Well written post and I agree completely-- it would be great of PGMusic provided a midi part browser. I would like to assemble some hybrid styles, but the thought of searching through every midi style for the right parts simply overwhelms me. On my last project, I settled for style parts that were adequate but could have been much better if I had taken the time to search more. In the meantime, several of us could volunteer our favorite choices for midi parts. Then we could assemble a text file of these so we each have a shortlist to draw from and save a lot of time when needed.
For example, for acoustic piano, here's an obvious one for me:

Part: acoustic piano
style: elton2.sty
feel: EV16
genre: rock
tempo: 80

--- Jim

Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Brian:

Well written post and I agree completely-- it would be great of PGMusic provided a midi part browser. I would like to assemble some hybrid styles, but the thought of searching through every midi style for the right parts simply overwhelms me. On my last project, I settled for style parts that were adequate but could have been much better if I had taken the time to search more. In the meantime, several of us could volunteer our favorite choices for midi parts. Then we could assemble a text file of these so we each have a shortlist to draw from and save a lot of time when needed.
For example, for acoustic piano, here's an obvious one for me:

Part: acoustic piano
style: elton2.sty
feel: EV16
genre: rock
tempo: 80

--- Jim

I use the "Memo" area of Biab to list my BB parts as I audition styles for a Hybrid Style. Another way of minimizing your search is by filtering the styles down to tempo and feel with the "style filter." You will need a similar "prototype" style, which is close to what you are looking for in your song. Once you have selected your prototype, then use the style filter to list similar styles to make a hybrid with.

Trax

Veteran
Veteran
Totally agree and I posted this a few years ago in the Wishlist forum but alas, nothing has been done. I would love to be able to pick a rock style midi piano just like we can pick from the different rock style piano RT's. A few months ago I was looking for a certain funky midi guitar part and spent the better part of an hour trying out all the funk midi styles until I found one.
Hmmm, perhaps we or me (no promises!) can create a list of custom styles like John is talking about. Sort it by instrument/genre and post it here where we can all add to it. It would need to have descriptive notes. I remember when going through all the funky guitar parts, some were rhythm while some were just licks. Of course the ones that were licks were designed to fit with the other parts of the style so they didn't sound very good by themselves. This would be tricky but perhaps we could start with obvious major genres like rock, blues, country etc.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Veteran
Veteran
+1
I would LOVE that feature to be implemented and for almost the same reasons.

Veteran
Veteran
Have you tried the new style filter? It really helps. I put in that I wanted:
1. Midi style
2. country
3. used Acoustic Piano

It filtered down to 34 styles.Not too bad to pick through.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
Veteran
Veteran
Yeah, that's OK John but not close to what we really need. If it's Biab, when you pick a style, it changes the whole song when all we may want is one piano part from one style to go with what we already have. We can do that with RT's but not the midi styles. If we're in RB, yes we can choose a style for just one track but we still need to first hit the stylepicker button up top, find the style from a huge list, then go down to the track and pick the piano part before we can hear it. That's a lot of mouse clicks and moving around the screen when we need to audition a bunch of parts. I want to simply right click the track, pick midi instrument, pick piano and see a list of midi piano parts to choose from organized by genre just like the RT parts. That would be very cool but like Mac said maybe it's just not possible.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Expert
Expert
Quote:

Have you tried the new style filter? It really helps. I put in that I wanted:
1. Midi style
2. country
3. used Acoustic Piano

It filtered down to 34 styles.Not too bad to pick through.

Nice -- but it didn't include the country piano part listed in post #1 from the styles disk 50.

Kevin

Now at bandcamp: Crows Say Vee-Eh @ bandcamp or soundcloud: Kevin @ soundcloud
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,398
Posts732,549
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199