Print Thread
Go To
#108771 03/19/11 07:27 AM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
MartinB Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
It appears impossible to enter chords such as Eb whenever some Alto Sax is selected via the Notation Options. Eb quite recalcitrantly will be denoted as D#.

Just perform some simple experiment:

With Notation Options 'concert clef' settings enter somewhere F# an Gb into the chord sheet. No problems up until now.

Yet now change 'concert key' to 'Alto Sax' in the Transpose Options of the Notation Window Options and watch F# Gb turn into D# D#, thus losing their functional distinction. Likewise D# Eb turn into C C.

This glitch may deserve attention with some upcoming patch.

Martin
Veteran
Veteran
I can understand the F#/Gb becoming D#/Eb; however, were you expecting the C to become B-sharp (B#)? Don't think I've ever seen that notated (and a B# signature is two sharps and five double sharps). I suspect most players wouldn't know what to do with it (other than mentally converting it to the key of C and now your back where you started).

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
MartinB Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

I can understand the F#/Gb becoming D#/Eb ...

That's the important issue. The other example is just that -> an example. Potentially emphasizing problematic early design decisions, such as not supporting notes or chords like B# (haven't seen a B# chord either up until now).

The issue is losing the functional distinction for transposing instruments. An Eb chord deprived Alto Sax player likely is an unhappy Alto Sax player ...

Martin
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
In the Notation Options window is a place where you can check to have the chords display as harmonic or enharmonic. I've had problems getting that function to work in the past, it was a sometimes thing, but you should give that a try and see what you get. As I recall my particular problem, it was that songs previously laid out would not change the chords accordingly, but New songfiles made after toggling that would.

--Mac

MartinB Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Things are getting worse.

Via some reflex arc type reaction and prior to posting I sure did check on this "chord scale for enharmonics" checkbox stuff in the Notation Options, to no avail. The Help file emphasizes this checkbox ist meant for notes, not for the display of chord symbols.

What is getting worse now? Up until now I was under the impression, the vanishing of Eb chords, say, happens with the Transpose Options of the Notation Window Options only. I sort of was under the impression (without double checking) that a simple and genuine transpose action from C to A, say, would transpose the Lead sheet properly. Alas, it doesn't.

Maybe the Eb was a Boojum after all ...

Martin
Veteran
Veteran
You can change notes one at a time by right clicking on the note and in the menu that pops up change the note ie: G# to Ab Later, Ray

Asus Q500A i7 Win 10 64 bit 8GB ram 750 HD 15.5" touch screen, BIAB 2017, Casio PX 5s, Xw P1, Center Point Stereo SS V3 and EWI 4000s.
MartinB Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Ray,
thanks for the pointer - I am very much aware of this feature. PG Music introduced this option a couple of years ago, after piling up pertinent requests on the wishlist. Now you may assign accidentals to your notes ad lib.

However, this thread is about chord symbols. Here BB behaves *not* according to the rules ...

Martin
S
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
S
I have also been annoyed at how BIAB transposes. I play saxes and see some weird progressions when I transpose the lead sheets. I have been figuring out the rules that BIAB uses for transpositions, with the intention that I will offer some suggestions for improvements in the wishlist section.

Here are the transpositon rules that I have observed when transposing for Eb Alto. What I did was write chords in concert key on every step of the chromatic scale, using both sharps and flats for the "black keys". Then I transposed the notation for alto sax, and then transposed the key of the song to every possible major key.

1. Whether a chord root is a sharp or a flat depends on the key that you are transposing to.
- a. Chord roots go by the key signature of the new key.
- b. If the chord root is not in the new key, BiaB prefers flats, with the following excetptions.
- c. Exception 1. If the new key is C, G, D, or A, then add a sharp to the key signature to predict what roots will be flats or sharps. -- Don't do that for the key of E, there will be a Bb instead of A#.
- e. Exception 2. In the key of F, there will be an F# instead of Gb.
2. If a note or chord root can be written as a natural instead of a sharp, flat (or double sharp or double flat) it will be. Therefore a IV chord in Gb will be a B rather than a Cb, and an E#mb5 will always be written as Fmb5.
3. BiaB does not like the key of F# -- it gives you Gb instead. Combine this with the rule above and you get interesting results when you have a IV chord. So, if a piece is in the concert key of A, and you transope for Alto sax you get key of Gb, and when you have a I-IV-V progression, the music will switch from mostly flats for the I and V chords to mostly sharps for the IV chord.

Things that BiaB does not take into consideration when transposing:
1. Spellings of notes in chords. Many of the chords BiaB chooses contain double sharps or flats. It would be nice if there were different cut-off points for naming non-scaletone chords in order to avoid double sharps and flats in the chord tone spellings. Flats make more sense for roots of augmented chords, and sharps make more sense for diminished chords. Major and minor are in between.
2. BiaB does not recognize keys of the moment. Therefore a ii-V-I in a temporory key could be written partly as chords containing sharps and partly with flats.

I hope this is helpful to someone. I'll have to wait to another day to write up my wishlist ideas. I should have gone to bed a couple of hours ago, but wanted to share what I learned about BiaB's tranposing rules first.

Jim

Veteran
Veteran
That was a nice analysis of BIAB behavior. Thanks for sharing that.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Veteran
Veteran
Very interesting, Jim!

As a horn player, I had noticed some of these things and shrugged them off, since I would fix them in a notation program. You have provided a very methodical analysis that should be helpful to PG Music. Thank you for doing that.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Yes indeed, that is the most comprehensive listinmg of the situation I've seen.

I hope Development makes a copy and checks it out...

--Mac

Apprentice
Apprentice
Could this be why when importing an mp3 made in biab it gets the chords wrong most of the time? Perhaps they share the engine/code.

Ron

`15 Audiophile, Toshiba17", 3Mhz, 4gig ram, 500gig HD, Win7, Tascam 122mkII interface, Tascam 16 track 8 buss recording mixer, 2 Avalon747sps,CAD VX2 mic, AKG C1000s, mac and Digital Performer.
Veteran
Veteran
No, this thread is about transposition.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Apprentice
Apprentice
Doesn't it involve the same chord engine/code?

Ron

`15 Audiophile, Toshiba17", 3Mhz, 4gig ram, 500gig HD, Win7, Tascam 122mkII interface, Tascam 16 track 8 buss recording mixer, 2 Avalon747sps,CAD VX2 mic, AKG C1000s, mac and Digital Performer.
Veteran
Veteran
A fair question, but I think the two processes are completely unrelated. One involves recognizing chords. The other involves converting already-known chords to another key.

S
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
S
Ron, BiaB's chord naming rules that I outlined above only effect whether a certain chord is named as a flat or with the equivilent sharp. You can see this in Audio Chord wizard by changing the "key sig" dropdown box - one chord can be G# if you have the key of E selected, and the same chord will be Ab if you have the key of Eb selected - but those are just two names for the same chord. It does not explain why Audio Chord Wizard gives you the "wrong" chords.

Here's a list of things that affect the chords that ACW reports.
1. the bass does not always play the root. I just recorded myself on All of Me, so I was able to compare the actual notes in BiaB to the chords that ACW found in the audio recording. In the 3rd and 4th measures there is an E7 chord, but on the 4th measure the bass was not playing an E, he was playing C#-B-G-E. On the first beat of that measure ACW saw C#-E-G#, which is a C#min, then applying the chord naming rules for the key of C, it called the chord Dbmin (which is equivilent to C#min). On the third beat, ACW saw G-B-D and E and called it a G chord. That's not what the chords are "supposed to be", but it matches the actual bass notes plus a couple of other notes that were being played at the same time. It was easy to see why ACW chose the chords it did, but the chords did sound funny when I played them back in BiaB.
2. Background sounds and percussion instruments can make pitches that are recorded as notes in ACW.
3. Musicians don't play only chord tones, and melodies don't just include chord tones. Sometimes it is hard to figure out what notes are the chord tones and which are not.
4. ACW can only resove 2 chords per measure. If the piece has more then results will be unpredictable.
5. If your bars are not aligned properly in ACW then ACW can be looking notes from 2 different chords.
6. Often a group of notes can belong to a number of different chords. Is C-E-G-A a C6 or an Am7? Maybe it's really supposed to be an FMaj7 but no one is playing the bass note one this particular beat. Maybe one of the notes is a passing tone or a tone from a percussion instrument and the chord is supposed to be something else altogether.

Jim

S
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
S
I have looked at how BiaB transposes minor keys and I have found that the rules it uses are exactly the same as for the relative major (the key with the same number of sharps or flats).

(The following issue applies when transposing notation for Bb and Eb instruments. It does not always apply when transposing a song while still displaying it in concert key)

Those rules do not take into account the raised seventh of the harmonic minor. A diminished seventh chord can be built starting on the raised seventh of a minor key, and this can be a substitute for the V7(b9). Unfortunately, anytime the raised seventh of a minor key occurs on a "black key" BiaB call it a flat intead of a sharp. (A flat tonic instead of a raised seven.)

A strict spelling of diminished seventh chords by thirds (rather than by enharmonics) always results in double flat chord tones when the root is a flat. Starting on a sharp results in chord tones that are naturals.

Following is what BiaB gives for dim7 chords, followed by what they should be -- both spelled by thirds (BiaB will never display double flats, but this is to show why diminished chords should never start on flats. That is going to be one of the first improvements that I suggest.)

Key of Amin. Abdim7 - spelled by thirds this would be Ab-Cb-Ebb-Gbb. It should be G#dim7 = G#-B-D-F (much better)
Key of Dmin. Dbdim7 = Db-Fb-Abb-Cbb. Should be C#dim7 = C#-E-G-Bb.
Key of Emin. Ebdim7 = Eb-Gb-Bbb-Dbb. Should be D#dim7 = D#-F#-A-C.
Key of Gmin. Gbdim7 = Gb-Bbb-Dbb-Fbb. Should be F#dim7 = F#-A-C-Eb.
Key of Bmin. Bbdim7 = Bb-Db-Fb-Abb. Should be A#dim7 = A#-C#-E-G.

Apprentice
Apprentice
Hi Jim, I understand about the chord names changing according to the key sig. But it sounds like Wizzard is still a bit ambitious for this feature which seems to be a novice at recognizing chords. I could call myself a sight reading wizzard untill you put a new chart in front of me. I'd suggest ACCS..... that would be crap shoot. {;^)>

Ron

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,633
Posts735,246
Members38,521
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
SYOTR, Bpnsrinu, DanyLevy, vasilich, maxrob61
38,520 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 180