Band-in-a-Box for Windows
P
percy Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
P
Hello All,

I'm getting a lot of mileage out of the J140 series of jazz styles, but had to change to a very simple bass #1392.

A number of slower standards I'm working on are 32 bars, yet in the bass line, there are only 3 or so half notes and far too many eighth notes,
both a and b sections. I know this has been brought up before, and as a result, the simple and very simple basses were introduced. The other very simple jazz bass does yield more half notes, but is too frenetic for me.

My exposure to jazz is limited, but is this as simple as it gets or should get? Just curious.

Percy

percy #109001 03/21/11 12:48 PM
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
>> is this as simple as it gets or should get?

There is a simpler one. #1204 Bass, Acoustic, GypsyJazzBallad Sw 110

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
percy #109002 03/21/11 01:00 PM
R
Expert
Expert
R
I assume you are using the correct RT for your tempo or letting BIAB substitute for you? Yes, the introduction of the Very Simple bass was much welcomed by many of us. If it is still too busy you can try changing your whole song to 'A' markers, generate the bass, and then Freeze it. Once frozen you can change your markers back to what you like.

If that doesn't work, some of the MIDI styles have very simple, but solid, bass lines. My personal favorite for Jazz swing is JAZSIMP - mostly in 2 at 'A', and walking at 'B'. Put that through a good synth and it is hard to beat.

R

p.s. I don't remember if the new Very Simple and Simple have tempo swapping. I added them to my RTTempoSwaps file but don't know if they are there by default now.

P
percy Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
P
Just what I needed. This bass and the jazz brushes sound great together !

Thanks a lot.

Percy

percy #109004 03/21/11 03:49 PM
Expert
Expert
The new simple styles are not as simple as it gets. Instead, try using the bass from Gypsy Jazz (Simon Planting) or any styles with the bass played by Jodi Proznick, rather than Neil Swainson.

As Rachel said, it is true that the new simple styles were welcomed; mainly I believe because the translation (programming?) of Neil Swainson's bass lines into RealStyles was previously not very satisfactory. The new simple styles are better but still not very logical. There was a lot of discussion about this in a previous topic.

I analysed the lines produced by the new simple and very simple bass styles and each bar at least started with a root note more often. However, I then had one of Australia's best bass players analyse the lines and he says they are 'dumb' - sorry, but that was the exact comment he wrote on many of sheets and sheets of bass lines with different progressions and keys that I gave him. I don't really know how to pass that information on to PG Music other than by this forum.

I would like to point out again that the bass lines being produced in RealStyles are nothing like the way that Neil Swainson plays in reality. You only have to check out his playing on the videos available on YouTube, or any of his fine recordings with George Shearing to hear this. Sure, he uses a lot of triplets and grace notes on the slower tunes, where applicable to what others in the group are playing, but not in the faster tunes, and not indiscriminately, as happens in RealStyles.

I really hate posting negative things about Band-in-a-Box but I just about exclusively use the jazz styles for my practicing and arranging. Most of the styles use Neil and I have to change them nearly every time. As an improviser who listens to the bass for my chords, I can always tell when I have forgotten to change the bass player. Several people have commented that the listening public are not that discriminating when you are using BB for accompaniment on live gigs but I think this is 'beside the point'.

The fact is that the Neal Swainson RealStyles lines have not translated to WALKING bass lines sensibly. Compare the lines produced by RealStyles to say a basic tutor such as "Bass Lines in Minutes - An Easy Method for Creating Bass Lines" by Kris Berg, or ask a bass player to analyse them like I did, and you will see what I mean.

Grah Jive Talk
"Don't worry baby, they'll swing their arses off."
P
percy Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
P
Rachel,

Back when BB 2011 was first released (or even earlier) you suggested some very good midi bass alternatives to the busier bass RTs. Don't know why, but I overlooked JAZSIMP. I invoked the style in a few tunes and the bass indeed fits in very nicely.

Your comments on the forum are always very helpful. Thanks.

Percy

percy #109006 03/21/11 05:39 PM
R
Expert
Expert
R
Glad I could help. Be sure to check out Jodi Proznick on Bass found on 'Jazz Paul' and 'Jazz Ray' RTs. Her phrases are much less frenetic but limited only to faster tempos. As for JAZSIMP, it is still my style of choice for gigs. Add Terry Clarke on drums - heaven!

R

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Graham,

Here's an audio example of the "Very Simple" variation of the Neil Swainson bass. http://nn.pgmusic.com/pgfiles/jazzu/Evan/Bass_Acoustic_Jazz_Sw_110_demo_very_simple_Render.WMA

Sounds fine to me, and also "simple" (as advertised)...what problems are you hearing?

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
P
percy Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
P
Graham,

Your post as well as the previous topic you referenced are very informative. I've mostly been using bass style #1392 for slower tunes and was curious who the artist is. However, the field is blank, probably because the simpler styles were added post release.

Percy

percy #109009 03/22/11 10:09 AM
M
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
M
To be honest i've barely noticed any difference between the 'simple' basses and the originals. Plus the 140 tempo 'simple' basses will not follow slash chords, so if i enter F/C the 'simple' and 'very simple' basses still play an F.

R
Expert
Expert
R
I don't think any of the RT basses follow slash chords.

R

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
>> I don't think any of the RT basses follow slash chords.

All of them do, and have for a long time.

There looks to be a bug in some of the just-released ones (ie the simple variations) where they follow slash chords on triads (F/C) but not 7th chords (FMaj7/C).

We're looking into that, and will fix it. As mentioned, that bug would only affect a small number (<5%) of the basses. Haven't heard of that bug affecting the other basses (non simple), but others can let me know on that point.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
M
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
M
The original ones work fine following slash chords but its just the simple ones at 140 don't.

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
>> The original ones work fine following slash chords but its just the simple ones at 140 don't.

OK thanks Mellowstu, We have spotted the problem, and a patch will fix it.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
P
percy Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
P
Stu,

I gotta say that the Gypsy Jazz bass #1204 that Peter suggested is indeed a simple (if not very simple) bass.
Without knowing what style of music you play, it may or may not work for you.

I play in restaurants and clubs, mostly standards, and the bass on slower standards made me nervous. LOL.
But the Gypsy bass is very laid back and easier on the vocals.

Percy

R
Expert
Expert
R
Most of my tracks use the 'old' Pedal Bass chord setting. The RTs seems to ignore this. Midi works fine. My comment was based on this since the setting puts a slash chord at that measure. If RTs will be 'fixed' to recognize this, I won't change my songs using the pedal bass. Otherwise...

R

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Correct, realTracks don't support Pedal Bass, but they do support slash chords.
Pedal Bass support is something that we plan to add in the future.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Veteran
Veteran
Bass is so critical, when I get called for a gig usually the first thing I ask is "who's on bass?". When it comes to the RT's I can nit pick with the best of them but I also understand just how tough it is to simply plug in prerecorded phrases in many different tunes. Even though a lot of us think of standards as being all the same they're most certainly not. When you listen to the original recordings of classic standard medium swing tunes you hear all kinds of different things happening in the rhythm section. The basses are not all simple, some are, some arn't but I agree a simple bass can really help the band keep things together and also help a soloist know where they are in the bar. It's difficult to put in some off time figures in a solo and not hear the bass laying down a solid on the beat line. If he's messing around a bit at the same time the soloist is, the soloist better have a real good metronome in his head. I will hear a group of pure monster players where nobody including the drumer is laying down any kind of solid to the beat rhythm yet they all know where they are. I found a youtube video of some all star big band in Japan doing Tunisia. Dave Weckl was on drums and he's not one to listen to if you need the drummer to tell you where 1 is! I've had that tune memorized for 20 years and play it regularly yet when these cats were taking their solo's I got lost just listening to it. I even replayed the piano solo (Gonzalvo Rubalcaba) like 10 times trying to follow it and still couldn't and I know that tune very well. Amazing.
Anyway, back to the point I mostly like the jazz bass RT's considering the limitations of trying to use the same prerecorded RT in different tunes.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Veteran
Veteran
In the past, I have run into a problem of mMaj7 chords where on occasion the slash root does not sound (and the RealTrack piano drops out, too). It has not happened yet with version 2011 though, but I'll test it again.

The addition of pedal bass to RealTracks would be really great!

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
R
Expert
Expert
R
...and some RT bass don't handle diminished chords well. They just play the root. I just listened to a walking bass of Jazz Paul 140. Every C#dim chord she justed played C# on all 4 beats of a bar.

R

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,401
Posts732,560
Members38,443
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Descoward, danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J
38,443 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200