You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#112138 - 04/20/11 02:36 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] do notes in chords come out as separate tracks
arlesterc Offline

When I export a song in BIAB to midi that has chords in it do each of the chord notes show up as separate tracks? For instance if I have a three-note piano chord that I export to midi do I end up with three piano midi tracks - one for each note? If I export a five-note piano chord, do I end up with five midi piano tracks?

#112139 - 04/20/11 09:33 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: do notes in chords come out as separate tracks [Re: arlesterc]
Matt Finley Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
No.
BIAB 2018 Win Audiophile; [& 2018 Mac UltraPak]. Software: Mixcraft, Adobe Audition, Ozone, Encore; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7, 16 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20(2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & monitors.

#112140 - 04/20/11 03:10 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: do notes in chords come out as separate tracks [Re: Matt Finley]
arlesterc Offline

Thanks for the quick response. So they end up like those drum tracks where all the different drum kits components are in one midi track and you have to manually separate them out into different midi tracks?

#112141 - 04/20/11 04:21 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: do notes in chords come out as separate tracks [Re: arlesterc]
Veteran

In general, you get one MIDI track for each BIAB instrument. There are exceptions, selected in the Options button when you click on the MID button. The options include having the guitar on six channels and having the Harmony on a separate channel. You can also specify a MIDI drum track even if you are using a RealDrum track.
BIAB 2018 Win Audiophile; [& 2018 Mac UltraPak]. Software: Mixcraft, Adobe Audition, Ozone, Encore; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7, 16 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20(2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & monitors.

#112142 - 04/20/11 06:09 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: do notes in chords come out as separate tracks [Re: Matt Finley]
arlesterc Offline

1) No option for the piano on x channels because it could in theory be up to 88?

2)With all the piano notes on one channel is there a tool to automatically create x number of tracks from the one channel e.g. if I have 3 note chords on the one channel split into 3 separate tracks each one with 1 note of the chord?

#112143 - 04/20/11 09:27 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: do notes in chords come out as separate tracks [Re: arlesterc]
Veteran

1. Sounds right.
2. Not that I know of.

I'm not sure why you would want to do this, anyway. Don't forget, many MIDI devices are limited to 16 channels (tracks), or maybe two banks of 16.

#112144 - 04/22/11 05:00 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: do notes in chords come out as separate tracks [Re: Matt Finley]
jim111 Offline
Journeyman

If you take it to RB you can split the piano into left and right hand if that would help.

Also, if you're bound and determined to do it you might try (again in RB) copying the piano track and paste it to an empty track, select it, then use split drums (edit - split midi drums) to separate tracks. Then right click each new track and change midi track to whatever you want. I haven't tried it but I think it should work.

Jim

#112145 - 05/18/11 08:20 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: do notes in chords come out as separate tracks [Re: jim111]
arlesterc Offline

Thanks. I will give that a try.

#112146 - 05/18/11 11:27 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: do notes in chords come out as separate tracks [Re: arlesterc]
Ryszard Offline
Veteran

Loc: Kennesaw (Atlanta) GA
Quote:

1) No option for the piano on x channels because it could in theory be up to 88?

2)With all the piano notes on one channel is there a tool to automatically create x number of tracks from the one channel e.g. if I have 3 note chords on the one channel split into 3 separate tracks each one with 1 note of the chord?

This is the kind of thing which, if I was going to try it, I would import into Propellerhead Reason. You would have to do it manually, but there are several ways in which to split the thing into separate MIDI tracks/instruments, essentially without limit. Expensive but elegant.

R.

#112147 - 05/19/11 07:14 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: do notes in chords come out as separate tracks [Re: Ryszard]
John Conley Offline
Veteran

Loc: London, Ontario, Canada
I cannot fathom the request, even from a nautical sense. I'll leave you to plumb the depths of this. Don't forget the Bosenwhozit wif the extra ivories. Wow. If you need extra notes you can have the top 16 from my piano, I shall never hear those suckers again anyway. Along with the alarm clock.

#112148 - 06/18/11 08:07 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: do notes in chords come out as separate tracks [Re: John Conley]
arlesterc Offline

Thanks for all the tips.

#112149 - 06/20/11 05:46 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: do notes in chords come out as separate tracks [Re: arlesterc]
hakea Offline
Enthusiast

Hi,

Why do you want the notes of a chord on separate tracks? It does seem a slightly odd request. Each time you changed chords you would end up with a whole new set of notes and therefore yet more tracks. Why would you want that?

If you're asking whether the chords show up on the midi as three separate notes, on different lines, then yes they will.

If you really wanted to break that down in some unusual way, for your own reasons, then you could just drop the same midi into your DAW a number of times, on multiple tracks. Then work through and delete the notes you don't want on a given track, and leave the ones that you do. Midi is easy to edit however you want - move them to change pitch, add more, delete, change the durations, or do whatever you want.

Like John Conley, I'm a bit perplexed by your question. Why would you want to do that? Are you going to try and split the chords and assign different elements to other instruments for instance? Just curious...

Cheers,

Chris

#112150 - 06/22/11 02:52 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: do notes in chords come out as separate tracks [Re: hakea]
dpresley Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Missouri
I read this post only because splitting techniques are sometimes useful for building ensemble parts for brass or strings when played back by separate instruments using a good player like Garritan. For example creating a harmony part using the harmonizer might provide what this user is looking for. If he literally wants to split piano parts I don't get it either.

#112151 - 06/25/11 06:09 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: do notes in chords come out as separate tracks [Re: dpresley]
Muzic Trax Offline
Veteran

Loc: California
Splitting midi tracks is done all of the time for Piano parts. One patch might have that "OoOOOh those bass notes sound so good" compared to the tink tink on a different patch.

Brass and String parts will give a fuller sound when split up and used with several patch sounds. Those French Horns can add some spice to a nice set of Strings.

Trax

#112152 - 06/25/11 06:31 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: do notes in chords come out as separate tracks [Re: dpresley]
MartinB Offline
Veteran

Quote:

I read this post only because splitting techniques are sometimes useful for building ensemble parts for brass or strings ...

Extracting ensemble parts from some created harmonc arrangement is just a mouse click.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box 2018® pour Mac - French Release!

Nous avons été très occupés à travailler sur Band-in-a-Box® durant l'année 2017, celà s'est traduit par la création de plus de 50 nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que l'apport d'une incroyable collection de nouveaux contenus, à savoir: des RealTracks, des SuperTracks MIDI, des Études d'Instruments, des Boucles, des Prestations d'Artistes, des Préréglages Amplitube et styles associés, des RealTracks dans les 12 tonalités et une Notation Guitare Hi-Q!

http://www.bandinabox.com/bb.php?os=mac&lang=fr

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 für Mac - German release!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung von neuen Inhalten, mit RealTracks, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studien, Loops (Schleifen), Künstler Performances, Amplitube Presets und dazugehörenden Styles, 12-Tonarten RealTracks und Hi-Q Gitarren Notation, hinzugefügt!

www.bandinabox.com/bb.new.php?os=mac&lang=de

Video - Activating Band-in-a-Box® for Mac®

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac® comes with your own unique activation code that you must add to the program within 30 days. Not sure how? Watch this quick video: http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=RI1rK19uXIs

Write a Song with Xtra Styles PAK 5 for a Chance to WIN!

You could WIN $150 PG Bucks when you enter our Xtra Styles PAK 5 Song Contest!

All you need to do is add Xtra Styles PAK 5 to your Band-in-a-Box® 2018 library (on sale for just $29 until August 31st!), write a song using one if the 160+ professionally mixed styles included, and submit it to our Xtra Styles Contest! Songs submissions are accepted until September 30th - with the 4 winners being announced in early October!

Click here for complete contest rules and information.

Learn more about Xtra Styles PAKs: Windows | Mac

Video - Using the StylePicker in Band-in-a-Box®

We've just updated our StylePicker video tutorial - see the latest version here.
This video uses Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows, however all of the functions are applicable to the Mac version.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 5 - All Xtra Styles are On Sale Until August 31st!

Xtra Styles PAK 5 includes over 160 fully-mixed styles in 4 volumes: Rock-Pop 5, Jazz 5, Country 5, and MIDI 1. Learn more about these new RealStyles with our latest video: click here to view

During our Xtra Styles PAK special, we're offering some GREAT sale pricing on ALL of our Xtra Styles PAKs!

$29 each: Xtra Styles PAK Volumes 1-5 (reg. $49) or for a limited time purchase ALL 5 for only $99!

$49: purchase the Xtra StylesPAK + Unreleased RealTracks bundle (reg. $79). The "Unreleased RealTracks" refer to the 40 Bonus RealTracks included in the 2018 49-PAK - a great purchase option if you did not add the 49-PAK to your UltraPAK or Audiophile Upgrade during our Version 2018 release special.

$119: Xtra Styles PAKs 1-5 + Unreleased RealTracks - limited time offer

Learn more about Xtra Styles PAK 5, listen to demos, or purchase today:
Xtra Styles PAKs for Windows
Xtra Styles PAKs for Mac

Video - Using the Chord Builder in Band-in-a-Box®

Earlier we announced a new video, Entering Chords in Band-in-a-Box®, which explains the different chord types, how to add 4 chords per bar, using pushes, and more. We're building on this topic with our latest video, Using the Chord Builder in Band-in-a-Box®. The Chord Builder is build right into Band-in-a-Box®, and is a great way to audition different chords!

Windows video link: www.pgmusic.com/?vid=IVSLOqwnM6Q
Mac video link: www.pgmusic.com/?vid=xuznalddE2Q

Forum Stats
27820 Members
51 Forums
52960 Topics
439474 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Josh Roehl, Ryan Orilio, 100947, tle1123, kir

27819 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)