Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#112631 - 04/29/11 12:14 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Speakers / Monitors [Re: TerryB]
rockstar_not Offline
Veteran

Loc: Colorado Springs, CO, USA
Musician's Friend claims they are blowing out lots of different monitors: http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/nav...S1&ZYXSEM=0

#112632 - 05/02/11 05:26 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Speakers / Monitors [Re: rockstar_not]
tommohawk Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Sussex, U.K.
Thanks for all the useful comment - sorry bit slow to respond.

5.1 probably a bit complex for my needs, but I wondered about a 2.1 system.

Somehow cant help but want my woofers separate - surely these are dealing with some of the mid-range that really wants to be split?

That said, I listened to my son's HK soundsticks - and the sound quality is really very good. Only 20W RMS for bass and 20 for treble, so not really enough - but gives the idea of what a 2.1 can do.

Thanks for the links - in fact I'm UK based so need to source here - but gave me some leads.

I'm looking at some M-Audio BX5a's which should do it. Will let you knw how I get on.

cheers Tommo

#112633 - 05/03/11 09:47 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Speakers / Monitors [Re: tommohawk]
Mac Offline
Veteran

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia USA
Quote:

Somehow cant help but want my woofers separate - surely these are dealing with some of the mid-range that really wants to be split?

No.

Subwoofer deals with only the bass region.

Takes advantage of the fact that the human ear cannot detect directionality below a certain frequency.

Usually works a bit better actually, as the subwoofer is designed to handle the larger excursions required for the bass notes plus does not have to be trying to produce higher freqs such as the mids and also typically the subwoofer will have its own power amp. Many use dual voice coil technology such that the lows from both channels appear at the subwoofer cone.

--Mac

You must be Audiominds.
www.audiominds.com

#112634 - 05/03/11 10:29 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Speakers / Monitors [Re: Mac]
rockstar_not Offline
Veteran

Loc: Colorado Springs, CO, USA
Quote:

Quote:

No.

Subwoofer deals with only the bass region.

Takes advantage of the fact that the human ear cannot detect directionality below a certain frequency.

Usually works a bit better actually, as the subwoofer is designed to handle the larger excursions required for the bass notes plus does not have to be trying to produce higher freqs such as the mids and also typically the subwoofer will have its own power amp. Many use dual voice coil technology such that the lows from both channels appear at the subwoofer cone.

--Mac

There's a reason why subwoofers work, and why humans can only detect directionality below a certain frequency and it's due to the simple physics of the wavelength of these frequencies.

One of the biggest directional cues our hearing system has is what's called the inter-aural time or phase difference. If you look at the wavelength of a 200 Hz wave, it's quite long, 67.8 inches at sea level, to be exact. That's 67.8 inches for the whole sine-wave. The distance between your ear-drums is only about 6 inches. So at any one time for a 200 Hz wave, your ears are experiencing the difference in time of only about 1/10 of the entire wavelength; undetectable. This percentage in time or phase difference gets smaller as the frequency gets lower. For a 100 Hz wave, it's 1/20th of the length along the 136 inch wave. For a 50 Hz wave, the phase difference is only about 2% of the entire length of the wave.

These very long wavelengths are also the reason that you should test the low frequency response of your speakers in the room. With almost any home setup, you will set up standing waves in the room, which will unnaturally color your overall low frequency listening experience.

I still believe that your best solution for practicing sax with your backing tracks is with headphones. Trying to use nearfield monitors as a small PA system; which is what you are trying to do; is not the intended purpose for nearfield monitoring systems.

Most of those nearfield monitors will not have the proper dispersion for the midrange and tweeters to give you an optimum listening position for sax practicing (assuming you stand) as well as sitting (assuming this is what you do while mixing). If the speakers are actually designed well as nearfields, you'll notice a rather large difference in mid/high frequency response depending on your ear height relative to the tweeter height.

See if you can get a store to let you take a set of these home and try this out yourself. Set the monitors so that the tweeters are at ear height for sitting. Then alternatively stand up and sit down while a track is playing. You'll see what I mean.

#112635 - 05/03/11 05:21 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Speakers / Monitors [Re: tommohawk]
LT Offline
Apprentice

This is a great thread. Very helpful for me also.

I am a sax player also (although I'm playing more alto than tenor at the moment) and have similar needs to yours. I had/have been thinking about monitors, but given the limited amount of mixing that I would do (really just related to recording myself) compared to the amount of time I use the speakers for playing backing tracks for practicing and for listening to music for pleasure and/or transcribing, I decided that I will probably just get a decent set of headphones (for tracking when recording and for mixing, since I am trying to get decent but not pro mixes) and continue to use my current speakers. So, what are the speakers?

I have a set of these for the computer

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Klipsch+-+Pr...&st=Klipsch Computer Speakers&cp=1&lp=1

They aren't audiophile quality, but they get plenty loud, are small and sound pretty darn good for a set of computer speakers.

I also have a stereo in the room where I practice with an old receiver, a pair of ADS floor standing speakers and a CD player/changer. It also works great for these purposes, but to be honest, I usually just use the computer and attached speakers. I may move the stereo out of the room to give myself more space.

Good luck on the hunt. I'm interested to hear what you decide.

#112636 - 05/04/11 09:59 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Speakers / Monitors [Re: LT]
redguitars Offline
Journeyman

Loc: US
If you're going to use them at loud practice volumes, meaning rather loud, maybe small PA speakers and a small power amp.
Wayne,

#112637 - 05/04/11 10:21 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Speakers / Monitors [Re: redguitars]
flatfoot Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sacramento CA
I am with Mac on recommending the Logitech satellite systems. I have one in every room of the house. Two in my studio. One dedicated set on my keyboard. I use them for gigs. The prices mentioned in the posts above are terrific bang for the buck.

A nice extra benefit is that these are easy to hide. I think its fun to have my freinds visit and play music for them, real loud and real good. They are baffled as to where the sound is coming from.

Edited by flatfoot (05/04/11 11:15 AM)

Got some tunes on You Tube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/flatfoot50
My BiaB lesson site:
http://jdwolfe0.wixsite.com/learnbiab

#112638 - 05/04/11 11:16 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Speakers / Monitors [Re: flatfoot]
redguitars Offline
Journeyman

The Logitech systems are great.
After losing all my gear in a flood 4 years ago when I bought our first new PC I got a 2.1 Logitech Speaker system. I was floored. They Sounded better than the big stereo I lost. Not as loud, but louder than I needed. My biggest surprise was the Sub. I never had bass like that before.

We soon got two more 2.1 sets. One for another PC and one for Mp3 player and an old TV we don't use anymore.
(We got rid of cable 5 years ago. We just use Netflix, the Intenet and our PCs)
Wayne,

#112639 - 05/04/11 11:21 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Speakers / Monitors [Re: redguitars]
redguitars Offline
Journeyman

Can anyone recommend a really great 2.1 Logitech Speaker system. Ours are a bit old and out of date.
I'd really like to upgrade. More power and great sound I'm sure they are better now. I's like to stick with Logitech.
I heard a friends Altec System and was not impressed. They weren't cheap either.
Wayne,

#112640 - 05/04/11 11:41 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Speakers / Monitors [Re: redguitars]
flatfoot Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sacramento CA
They're all great. Search the internet for model and price.

Got some tunes on You Tube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/flatfoot50
My BiaB lesson site:
http://jdwolfe0.wixsite.com/learnbiab

#112641 - 05/04/11 05:09 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Speakers / Monitors [Re: LT]
bluzkeez1 Offline
Enthusiast

I have a pair of the original Samson Resolv 65a's I don't think they are made any longer but you might check some of the on line stores or Ebay. Very happy with mine for keys and BIAB. I also have a pair of Mackie MR 5's. A lot of sound come out of the Mackies as well. Both powered monitors. Reolv 65a are 6 inch speakers ported in front. The Mackies are 5 in ported in back

#112642 - 05/07/11 03:16 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Speakers / Monitors [Re: LT]
tommohawk Offline
Enthusiast

A few thoughts.

Just with regards to general design - thanks for the explanation of non-directional bass - makes the point very well.

But the point I was trying to make is that with a 2.1 system either the low frequency unit handles some of the mid range, in which case that's mono, or it only handles the very low frequencies which leaves the tweeter having to deal with everything else.

I guess this begs a rather more basic question, ie with a conventional two unit cabinet ie woofer and tweeter, what is actually doing what? I realise the crossovers distribute the frequencies to the appropriate unit, but I wonder if whether there is any blending, of if the units handle only above or below the crossover frequency? You'd think it would sound unnatural if it was completely separated at the xover frequency - no?

From an intuitive standpoint tweeters look pretty tiny - can they really dish ut the mid-range? Way back in the old days, I seem to remember having a mid-range speaker in there too.

Re the Klipsch units they look pretty good as you say - might be tempted if going the 2.1 route. One small problem though - here in the UK the only thing we have thats bigger than the US version is volts. I dont think the Klipsch is made in 240v version. But theres plenty others similar.

Have been having a bit of a rethink about the whole thing - upshot is:

1. I don't like playing with 'phones - probably natural if you're used to a studio, and I may have to if recording tracks - but for general playing its not my favourite.

2. I need to get a new sound system anyhow thats compact to plug my PC/laptop into - ideally a one box system ie active speaker suits me best. Do they really only make these as near field versions?

3. I take the point about directioanlity and head height. However in practice my speakers are raised to avoid reflections off the desk. So they are about 30 cms above my head when at the desk, and 30 cms below when I stand to play sax. If I cant get a non-nearfield monitor, I'm inclined to get a nearfield version, and mount the speakers on pivoted brackets so I can adjust the angles to suit - sound OK?

4. Alternatively get a 2.1 system, but I guess I'm a bit picky about losing sound quality.

Any more thoughts?

Cheers, Tommo

#112643 - 05/07/11 05:03 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Speakers / Monitors [Re: TerryB]
Danny C. Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Louisiana
Quote:

This might be another option for you. I played a keyboard through one of these at GC the other day and the sound was awsome. Can also serve as a small powered sound system. http://www.guitarcenter.com/Roland-CM-30-Cube-Monitor-104017108-i1167688.gc

Terry

Terry,

I have been using this unit as a monitor for years, very durable good quality sound and a little work horse to boot.

Later,

The More You Drink The Better I Sound

#112644 - 05/07/11 05:34 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Speakers / Monitors [Re: Danny C.]
tommohawk Offline
Enthusiast

Had a look at the Roland Cubes - in the pic they look massive - but looking at the specs they are pretty compact. And have grills too - they look great for small stage work.

Probably a bit much for small office - dont really need all the inputs - and need stereo. But worth bearing in mind.

#112645 - 05/07/11 05:50 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Speakers / Monitors [Re: tommohawk]
Oren Fisher Offline
Expert

Loc: Victoria, BC Canada
Quote:

... the point I was trying to make is that with a 2.1 system either the low frequency unit handles some of the mid range, in which case that's mono, or it only handles the very low frequencies which leaves the tweeter having to deal with everything else.
From an intuitive standpoint tweeters look pretty tiny - can they really dish ut the mid-range? Way back in the old days, I seem to remember having a mid-range speaker in there too.
...Alternatively get a 2.1 system, but I guess I'm a bit picky about losing sound quality.

After a lot of trial and error, research, and advice from folks here at PG, my choice was easy.
If you want premium sound, go with a subwoofer and satellites.

If you want maximum flexibility, go with a subwoofer and satellites. Adjusting the position of the speakers relative to each other, relative to the room, and relative to the listener gives you optimum control of your sound.

If you want excellent audio performance in both near-field applications, and with room-filling sound, go with a subwoofer and satellites

If you want maximum audio performance per unit of cost, go with a subwoofer and satellites.

I use Cambridge SoundWorks - the ones produced before the name was purchased by Creative Labs. As with Logitech 2.1 systems, all the models from Cambridge SoundWorks sound spectacular, with the larger systems simply able to supply quality audio at higher levels.

Working with a 2.1 system requires some learning, some experimentation with placement, and most of all - a willingness to let go of pre-conceptions regarding how a speaker system should look.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® Video Testimonials!

Tell everyone how much you love Band-in-a-Box® with your very own Band-in-a-Box® Testimonial video!

Submit your video, and when we use it on our website (and YouTube page) we will send you a FREE Band-in-a-Box® Hard Drive!

Take a look at the video testimonials we've already received at www.pgmusic.com/videotestimonials.php

Learn more about how to submit your video testimonial here.

Beginners Help - Muting the Melody Notation

Visit our Beginners Forum, and you'll notice our amazing Forum Community helping out new program users!

Like this recent post regarding Muting the Melody Notation: http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=458716 - Forum user Matt Finley did a great job of answering the new program user!

Our Beginners Forum really is a great resource for new program users!

Q: When I have entered chords and notation for a song, is it possible to mute the notation and just have the chords playing? This would be helpful for when I just want the chord backing track but want to read the notation.

A: There are several ways to do this. The easiest is probably to use the Mixer window and change the volume slider to zero for the Melody track. Or, hit the Mute icon on the Mixer for the Melody Track.

Another way, with more control rather than all or nothing, is to press F5 at the measure where you want to mute, and select mute or change the volume to zero. Later, press F5 and select Return to Normal, or change the volume back.

Introducing... RealTracks Artists David Wise & Shelly Justice!

For the first time ever Band-in-a-Box® can generate backing vocals with some amazing "oohs" and "aahs" vocal arrangements with RealTrack Set 278: Shiny Vocals Oohs and Aahs! Add male or female parts by renowned Nashville vocalists David Wise and Shelly Justice, and you'll LOVE the results!

David and Shelly have recorded with many different artists, including CeCe Winans, Dolly Parton, Don Henley, Donnie McClurkin, Jeremy Camp, Lady Antebellum, OneRepublic, Steve Green, and more!

RealTrack Set 278: Shiny Vocals Oohs and Aahs includes a three-part, six-voice arrangement – which you can use all together in your song or individually for more delicate textures! Listen to the demos for RealTracks Set 278 here.

Purchase RealTrack Set 278: Shiny Vocals Oohs and Aahs for just $29 here. It's also included in the Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows PlusPAK, UltraPAK, and Audiophile Edition.

Learn more about Dave & Shelly when you visit their RealTracks Artist Bio page:
David Wise: http://www.pgmusic.com/realtracks.artists.php?a=150
Shelly Justice: http://www.pgmusic.com/realtracks.artists.php?a=151

#TechTipTuesday - Band-in-a-Box® Patch Updates

If you're ever experiencing an issue with your Band-in-a-Box program, make sure you have the most recent patch update for your version - this can be done at http://www.pgmusic.com/support.updates.win.htm.

Patch updates are released frequently, and are created by our development team to fix any reported bugs, tweak existing features within the program, update demos and other files as needed, and more!

To find out which version of the program you have, visit Help | About Band-in-a-Box within the program. You will see the full version number listing as:
Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Version 2018 (512)

The number in parentheses is the build number. As you can see, my Band-in-a-Box is up to date and will continue to stay that way because I've selected "Automatically check for updates every 7 days" within the Help | Check for Updates.... option (you can set the number of days to a different number). This window will also look to see if you're version is up to date, so you don't technically have to visit http://www.pgmusic.com/support.updates.win.htm if you didn't want to!

Once you've installed your patch update (make sure the program is closed when you're doing this), give it another try - if you are still experiencing the same issue you can report it by contacting us directly, or you can post your result to the Forum thread that also announces the patch update, like our recent Band-in-a-Box 2018 Build 512 Update (Feb 15) post.

YouTube Find - How To Play SLOW A7 BLUES Guitar Solo With 4 NOTES

Check out one of EricBlackmonGuitar's latest videos, How To Play SLOW A7 BLUES Guitar Solo With 4 NOTES and you'll hear a great Band-in-a-Box backing track!

http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=blJPIX-9YbE

...and you'll also learn how to play blues with just a few notes!

A Little Bit Of Me Music Video!

A great music video created by forum user Floyd Jane! https://youtu.be/qPrejgnwb4M?t=3600

This song was featured in a detailed "The Birth of a Song" video created by Floyd Jane - watch the complete video here:
http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=qPrejgnwb4M

RealBand 2018 Build 5 Update Available!

RealBand 2018 customers can download the latest free patch update here: http://www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#2018_5

Summary of Changes for Build 5
Added: When generating the input file for saving as an MGU/SGU SongMode128= is saved to the input file.
Added: Localization support for 2018.
Added: flyby hints to new dialogs.
Fixed: Save As with a filename greater than 128 chars could cause an error 123 plus access violation.
Fixed: Rebooting RealBand after a filename with 128 chars was saved could cause an access violation.
Fixed: Pressing the Change button in the Event List Window could result in an access violation if an event was not a Note event.
Fixed: When running in Win 10, and using BBW or PT to generate audio harmonies, an error would occur saying that you need BB 2011 or PT 12 to generate audio harmonies.
Fixed: Midi Thru Method was not being saved to the .INI file. It always reverting to Track-Specific when booting up RealBand, even if the user manually changed the setting to Global in the Midi Thru Settings dialog.
Fixed: Delete All Notes on This Peg menu item in notation window right-click menu was missing.
Fixed: Potential crash on exit (having to do with the DLL attempting to free up a dynamic array that was passed to it).

Forum Stats
27154 Members
49 Forums
50362 Topics
413473 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Ftrplt, Roanders, RmGx, GIBSON335, profesas

27154 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Matt Finley 247
Noel96 211