Print Thread
Go To
#113626 05/07/11 12:25 PM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
M
OP Offline
M
Hi experts.

I'm new to this forum so I first searched the messages, but I did not find anything related to my question, which I think is funny, as I feel the question is rather obvious, but maybe I am being just too silly or the version of BIAB I currently use (2007.5 (242) ) simply is too old and I should upgrade (which I am planning anyway, as I am going to move to Mac).

Most of the lead sheets we use, give the song as a number of "parts" (Part A, Part B, Part C, Part D, ...), each part usually containing 4, 8 or 16 bars, and afterwards the song structure is given as the sequence, the parts should be played in (e.g. A-A-A-B-A-C-A-B-D).

When arranging a song, we keep moving the parts around, and of course I would like to do the same with BIAB, so that I easily can start practicing on the rearranged structure.

I did not find out how to make BIAB play Part sequences yet.

Any help ?

Thanks,
-Michael

Expert
Expert
As per your example, you need to use multistyle feature of BIAB to be able to play 4 parts : parts A, B, C & D. Multistyles were added in 2008 version. A multistyle can have up to 24 substyles. That is the way to go, if you want to get high level quality arrangements. Standard styles have only 2 substyles (part A and part B).
You can easily make your own Multistyles by combining parts from existing styles.

Reach for excellence
M
OP Offline
M
Hmm. In fact I seem to want to create a song from existing style(s) and not create a new style .

My intention is to define several parts (= different chord sequences, not different styles) and (when being played) have them arranged in a sequence. To me this seems like an extremely common way to create songs. I hoped for the BIAB styles to somehow auto-adapt to this underlying song structure. In fact they perfectly do auto-adapt to the count of bars defined for a phrase.

I would not mind if the style would not automatic change it's sub-styles, as I suppose I can make BIAB switch (sub-)styles at defined bars.

Maybe my way to look at this is wrong and I better should take a deeper look at the way repetitions can be defined, but to me the way this is done (with BIAB 2007) is rather cryptic and I am not able to handle it except for rather trivial structures.

Do you suggest to create a new style for each new song ? I suppose that would prevent me from changing the style(s) of a (yet unfinished) song.

Actually I did not yet dare to dive into style editing.

Thanks,
-Michael

Last edited by Michael Schnell; 05/07/11 03:04 PM.
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Michael,

If I understand your post correctly, what you are after is that you want to think of your song as a series of 'boxes' and you'd like to tell BIAB the order that you'd like to play these 'boxes'. If that is so, BIAB does not construct its songs in such a format.

You would be able to get BIAB to do some of what you want by using repeats and tags. The below link will explain those to you in more detail.

http://www.pgmusic.com/tutorial_repeats.htm

Essentially, BIAB works just like an orchestra score. It's basically a linear process. In an orchestra score, when a return to a section is required after a number of sections have been played, it's usual for that section to be written out. One important reason for this is that the musical 'seams' that 'stitch' the sections together are not usually repeated. That is, when going from D-section to A-section, the notes that are important links between the sections are different than when one goes from B-section to A-section. Such links could not easily occur by simply directing a performance to go from C to B to A, etc.

Fortunately, BIAB makes the ordering of sections extremely easy by using "Copy from ... to ..." command to copy and paste the sections into a linear journey through the song.

Hope this helps,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Noel96 #113630 05/07/11 11:11 PM
M
OP Offline
M
Hi Noel.

Thanks a lot for your reply, even though it is quite disappointing.

I would like using BIAB not only as a tool for practicing, abut also for printing the lead sheets we use when playing with the band. That is why it is not a good idea to stitch the song together by copying the bars of the parts. IMHO it would be a nice feature (and rather easy to do) to allow the users to define such a "virtual copying" that is only active in playback mode (just raving...):

The editor for this could be just a single small window doing something like this:
(a) Define the parts to be a sequence of ascending bars:
part pn = bar no. b1 ... b2.
Up to -say- 10 parts can be defined. (Best the parts should be named "A", "B", "C", if not a user editable name (such as "Intro", "Verse", "Chorus", "Bridge", "Outtro", ...) can be implemented.)
(b) Define the song structure to be a sequence of theses parts. (Sequence length up to to -say- 20 parts.)

No change in the normal editing is necessary. (OK displaying the part names wherever appropriate would be nice but not essential.)

When playing, the effect of parts would be a "virtual copying". Maybe an additional "Play using parts" mode (that might disable any editing while playing) would be appropriate or more easy to implement instead of always playing in "part mode". In fact a (temporary) file could be written that just contains the bars stitched together as the part list requests. (This is how I manually do this right now "the hard way".)

When printing a sheet with parts defined, it would be important to print the part names showing where a part starts and where it ends. Additionally, the defined part sequence would be printed below the normal score.

I will thoroughly read the tutorial on "repeats", as this of course is what BIAB does provide for the purpose in question, even though (for the kind of music in question) it's a lot more restricted, a lot harder to use and a lot less in-sync with many written style sheets than a simple part list.

-Michael

Last edited by Michael Schnell; 05/07/11 11:18 PM.
M
OP Offline
M
Hi Noel.

After reading the said doc, some comments:

Of course this is a very appropriate way to handle a not too complex song structure.

I suppose when doing any modifications is the "fake" mode, the hidden stuff will stay unchanged. This might or might not be wanted by the user.

When playing along with BIAB, following the song can be rather hard, when a "section" starts in the middle of a line, just because the previous section has a second ending. Is there a way to input some kind of "New Line" (just leaving the end of the line blank) so that each section starts at the beginning of a line such as the "feeling" of the song suggests ? Of course this should be active as well in the chord display as in a printed score sheet.

(Some more raving thoughts:

Obviously the "repeats" work similar as I suggested for the "parts" structure, so supposedly this would go together quite well.

It would be nice to allow for parts with multiple endings in a similar way as the "repeats" work, providing part names like "A1", "A2", "A3". When editing the content of a part in "non-fake" view (by this creating a modified part used in this instance), I suppose a new part should be auto-created and the structure would be updated.)

-Michael

Last edited by Michael Schnell; 05/08/11 04:52 AM.
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Michael,

You asked ...

Quote:

Is there a way to input some kind of "New Line" (just leaving the end of the line blank) so that each section starts at the beginning of a line such as the "feeling" of the song suggests ?

Provided you have a fairly recent version of BIAB, right click somewhere on the chord sheet and choose "Song Settings". About 2/3 of the way down the pop-up menu is an option for "Sections on a new line". That should do the job. One of your above posts seems to suggest that you have BIAB 2007. I don't think that this option was in that version of BIAB.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Noel96 #113633 05/08/11 02:17 PM
M
OP Offline
M
Yep BIAB 2007 does not seem to have this feature. I suppose I will upgrade some day soon.

-Michael

Last edited by Michael Schnell; 05/08/11 02:18 PM.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,398
Posts732,546
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199