Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#114128 05/13/11 12:33 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I ended up getting TC-Helicon Voice Tone Harmony G-XT. The quality of the vocal effects & harmonies is incredible. Nothing like the old Digitech I had. No robotic or grainy sounds.Even acapella it's great.I'm totally blown away!!!! Driving the guitar input using a separate track of acoustic guitar from the built in sound card works perfectly. I decided on this unit over the M because:
1. I have the flexibility of having the harmonies where & when I want 'cause I have to push the button.
2. I can turn down the outs from the Audigy card and blend the guitar input track with vocals including the effects and play an "acoustic" solo with just Bass, acoustic & vocals. This will add jobs for me.
3. A USB connection with and editor/librarian for creating/saving effects presets and for firmware updates.

This unit can be had at Same Day Music for $229 & free shipping.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
Off-Topic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Congrats!

I haven't found anything yet that comes close to TC Helicons harmonies. The EQ and voice sweetening isn't bad either. I am sure you will have many good times with your pedal. The only problem is that it is kind of addictive and when you work on older songs you start thinking about I wonder what would happen if ...........

Terry

TerryB

Windows 10, Dell 8700 XPS i7, 12MB Ram.
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Sounds sweet John, go forth and harmonize!!

Imagine running a sweet realtracks guitar track into that dog and singing along with it.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

Sounds sweet John, go forth and harmonize!!

Imagine running a sweet realtracks guitar track into that dog and singing along with it.

Yes the nice thing about it is I can do that and have all of the effects and mixing take place and then into the vocal channel of my mixer.Play bass & sing. Some of the places around here only want an acoustic sound for there entertainment. Pa is OK of course.I can even just put the acoustic track on a CD & run it through. Gives me a nice compact acoustic set-up.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

I ended up getting TC-Helicon Voice Tone Harmony G-XT. The quality of the vocal effects & harmonies is incredible. ..... No robotic or grainy sounds.Even acapella it's great.I'm totally blown away!!!! Driving the guitar input using a separate track of acoustic guitar from the built in sound card works perfectly. I decided on this unit over the M because:
1. I have the flexibility of having the harmonies where & when I want 'cause I have to push the button.
2. I can turn down the outs from the Audigy card and blend the guitar input track with vocals including the effects and play an "acoustic" solo with just Bass, acoustic & vocals. This will add jobs for me.
3. A USB connection with and editor/librarian for creating/saving effects presets and for firmware updates.

This unit can be had at Same Day Music for $229 & free shipping.

Oh boy! now you got me thinkin...

Today is the big town garage sale so time to haul all my old music junk from years gone by which is gathering dust in my closet out to the driveway and see if I can come up with some quick cash.

anyone want a 4 track Tascam tape recorder from 1986? While priceless in memories of my first recordings, I'm looking for $5 with the BIAB Forum discount, but will take offers.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I'm gonna take it for a test drive tonight at the gig.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
It was great. Didn't take much setup to get it right.The sound over a PA is fantastic as are the effects. Did take a little getting used to 3 voices at times.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

It was great. Didn't take much setup to get it right.The sound over a PA is fantastic as are the effects. Did take a little getting used to 3 voices at times.

good to hear.

I have been listening to lots of on-line demos and it does sound very interesting to me. Unfortunately, I made only ~$75 in the big garage sale . I figure I paid at least $1200 - $1500 for the gear i sold -alhough I have to admit it was of no real value to me for all the years I had been storing it. A single guy bought it all and he was very pleased.

But $75 is a little short of a new vocal processor

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
John congrats. `
I bought the GXT harmonizer last week (price in DK equals $360 though! ) it's really incredible - the harmonizer, not the DK price...
John I have a little problem when I record, or play back over the PA system for that matter, that is the guitar sound bleed through into the mic. This cause the guitar sound to be harmonized as well, sounds a bit like distortion.
Reason may be I use a condenser mic, as the condensers are more sensitive. Could you offer any advice, would a dynamic mic. be the answer.

Thanks
Jan

JROM
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
@John: Congratulations! Good to read the gig went well. You obviously made a good decision buying the GXT

@Jan: The GXT has a gate built in, but unfortunately this can only be set to on or off (default setting = on). You'll have to do something with your mic. What kind of pattern does your mic have? Try using a cardioid type microphone. tilt it up just a bit so that it faces your mouth and is pointed away a bit from your guitar. Condenser mics are great, but TC advices to use dynamic mics with their harmonizers. Try the good old SM58, that one should do well.
For more information regarding your TC-effects, you can also visit the VoiceCouncil Forum

Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
Thanks Mike.
Actually, I have considered the SM 58 for home studio use, replacing my condenser. I think it's called GAS, right

Jan

JROM
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Jan,

For (home)studio use you could try recording the vocals dry with your condenser mic. After recording you can send the vocal track to your GXT. Be careful not to drive the GXT too hot, since it is a microphone-level input and you feed it at line-level. Record the 100% wet signal from the GXT to another track. This way you have much more control over your effects/harmonies and you don't have to deal with bleed-issues.

Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
Mike.

Thanks for feed back.
That would be the optimal way, however I tried that, but with a bad result. Problem is - as you mentioned - that the input signal tend to be too hot through the mic port, and in addition you need to feed in a guitar input at the same time. I believe it can be done, I just haven't been able to obtain an acceptable result so far.
I recall you have VoiceLive2 (?), is that the way you do it?

Jan

JROM
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
That is the exact reason i prefer the midi drive harm units. they do not have to rely on the guitar signal, and can be set to run off the midi alone and therefore not bleed over and confusion. I originally bought the GT version and sent it back cause it seemed to get confused.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

I originally bought the GT version and sent it back cause it seemed to get confused.

Wow don't tell my wife. The doc said it was chemo fog, but heck if she sends me back I'll have somewhere new to be, other than here, which can be new at times. I think she's only keeping me because I cook and clean and am deaf so she can snore.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

That is the exact reason i prefer the midi drive harm units. they do not have to rely on the guitar signal, and can be set to run off the midi alone and therefore not bleed over and confusion. ...

OK, tell me more about this. Since I always have BIAB in my gig is there a unit (or version of this G XT) which would generate my vocal harmonies off of the chords from BIAB?

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Yes.

I got the Voicelive from PGmusic (who resell TcHelicon stuff). The VoiceLive2 came out about an hour later lol.

I have the Opts. Prefs. Output channel in Band in a Box set so ch 5 sends chords to the box for harmony.

I then set the soloist channel to 5.

At the point I want a harmony I press F5 and set it in the soloist channel. So even though 25 is Nylon Guitar it triggers Preset 25 on the box. Works great. I have one channel I set to have the harmonies off and the voice thickened, and you can set any of them to pitch correct or not. So you can change during the song. Or in the case of the VoiceLive you can hit the pedal and mute the harmony.

Too bad radiation treatments have wrecked my voice. The docs think it might get better. I'm messing now playing horns and stuff through it. And the wife's flute turns in to 3. Kinda cool.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Jan,
I had answered your question this AM it was as Mike said. I went to post it and PG site went down. Just got back on.
If I could have afforded it I would have gotten the Voice Live 2 for all of it's flexibility. The GXT is the same harmonizer though so went with it. It also has more features then the M. I didn't cre so much for the Voiceworks. All three in the same price range. With BIAB you will need a midi unit to get the chords. I use RealBand so sending a silent guitar track to the guitar input is a cinch.It never missed a chord. Even if there were more then 1 chord change in a measure. Using a RT acoustic guitar is ideal for this thing as it's very straight ahead and steady. Unlike if you're playing it yourself.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
Thanks John.
Yes I believe I can make it work. I'm using Sonar for the final mix, just need to figure out how it works, sending the guitar track to GXT.

Jan

JROM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Jan,
If I could have afforded it I would have gotten the Voice Live 2 for all of it's flexibility.

Ya, that is definitely out of my limited price range.

Quote:

With BIAB you will need a midi unit to get the chords. I use RealBand so sending a silent guitar track to the guitar input is a cinch.It never missed a chord. Even if there were more then 1 chord change in a measure. Using a RT acoustic guitar is ideal for this thing as it's very straight ahead and steady.

I need to understand this part.

Are you saying with RB you can route a RT guitar part to use for setting harmonies? But this can not be done from BIAB? What do you mean when you say that BIAB would need a midi unit to get the chords. Is the porblem with the routing in BIAB, which is better done in RB?

As you know I use BIAB for live shows but this could be the decider to switch to RB for live gigs.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,485
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195