Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
S
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
Ok, I have seen this has been posted alot previously but the search engine for the forum is not very useful.

I am getting several issues when rendering wav files. First, I have it set to play one chorus bars 1-16. Rendering either doubles the entire song length OR adds 1 measure to the end.
At the whim of the program..Plays fine in BIAB, time stamp shows correct length.

Process: *.wav--> choose file name -->Dxi direct render.

I have disabled endings
loop / fake is disabled
updated the song memo
removed ALL repeats
saved under a new file name
I use a registered version of Forte Dxi
I have most current updates for all.

I seem to recall having a similar problem early on but it fixed itself. Now BIAB seems to have taken on a life of it's own..

Anyone?

Veteran
Veteran
Mine totally locks my computer up. In fact when I do ANYTHING but initially enter chords and play the song back, this software locks me up. I am afraid to say anything here though because all of these people immediately jump all over me and say I am an idiot and I am doing something wrong.

One of you people who continue to say I am stupid and it is user error please explain how it is different when YOU click the "render to wav" button and when I click the "render to wav" button that it freezes my computer up when I do it? Clicking the mouse on the "render to wav" button isn't exactly a daunting task, and there is no way to do it wrong. Yet BIAB freeze my computer EVERY TIME when I try to render to wav or use the drop feature so I can send it over to Sonar. I can't do anything but use it for the first level basic composition stage, and even THEN when I go to play back it tells me my Real Tracks folder is in the wrong place. Well, my Real Tracks folder is where BIAB put it during installation, and where it was when I was writing the song. I will FLY YOU IN TO CLEVELAND and let YOU click the render to wav button, and when it fails for you like it does for me, you can pay me back for the ticket.

I have removed and reinstalled this like FIVE TIMES after all the veterans here told me I somehow clicked the "setup" button wrong. Just like they keep telling me I am doing "something" wrong when I try to render to wav. Or that "some files" must be corrupted. Until someone can define "something", or explain to a 29 year computer veteran how "some files" got corrupted, assume I am doing nothing wrong. The setup routine for any software is like cutting cookies out of dough. It runs the same every time. It is a computer program and executes commands as programmed. It is not intuitive and does not have the ability to say "Well, THIS time I will corrupt these 4 files". Hence the name "program", as in "follow the commands as written every time you execute". There is nothing to do wrong.

I hoped that last patch 318 would fix this thing. It did not. This is $300 I wasted on this thing. This program just does not work as advertised beyond basic composing. When I can't send to Sonar or even render to wav, there is a bug in the sofware. This program is running on a pristine computer. I will send my laptop to anybody who wants to see it for themselves. I will not miss it, as I can not use it as is anyway.

Any takers?

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Veteran
Veteran
Likely not what you wanted to hear, but How about sending me your BIAB file so I can see if it renders on my system. Before I made this offer I rendered to wav (I don't often use this feature in BAIB) just to be sure and it worked flawlessly. I'm dan - with an at sign - jazzmandan dot com (you get the idea)

Oh and best to move this to its own thread so as not to hyjack the OP. This seperate thread will likely get wheels and role.

Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

I am getting several issues when rendering wav files. First, I have it set to play one chorus bars 1-16. Rendering either doubles the entire song length OR adds 1 measure to the end.
At the whim of the program..Plays fine in BIAB, time stamp shows correct length.

Process: *.wav--> choose file name -->Dxi direct render.

I have disabled endings
loop / fake is disabled
updated the song memo
removed ALL repeats
saved under a new file name
I use a registered version of Forte Dxi
I have most current updates for all.

I want to toss my dime on here as a quote in addition to the post I made.

While adding the info about the content of the song is good info, in the final analysis, should any of that matter? Isn't the function of "render to wav" to take that raw data and turn it into a wav file with no regard to how long or short the song is, how many repeats, how many loops, etc.... just convert the raw data to a wav file. That is the function. If this software is written with caveats that "you can't render to wave unless your song is in classic ABACAB format, or if it is more than X number of bars, or if it is Tuesday and raining...." it is a computer program and every copy is supposed to do the same thing every time no matter who is using it in what state, in what country, on what kind of computer, etc.... So why does user A have an issue that user B does not have using the same program installed by clicking the same setup.exe command and installed to the same default directories? It not only should not matter what kind of computer it is on, it CAN not matter. You can't write software for only this kind of sound card or that kind of hard drive. It just isn't what a "program" is. This is just like the nonsense with the video card drivers. The video card driver is an issue between the operating system and the video card. If there was a video card driver problem on Joe's computer, Joe would have video issues on Word, Excel, MSIE, Skype, Twitter.....

This program is now utterly worthless to me if I can't render it to wav and send it to Sonar to work with it there.

Yet sit back and watch everybody it is user error and I am stupid. And all I did was click the button that says "render to wav". There is only one way to do that. Put your mouse over it, and click. You can't do that "wrong". And there can not be a laundry list of "things you can't do to your song if you want to render to wav" built into software. There just can't be.

I am really disappointed in this program.

2. Send it to us.
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

To get this back on topic, ....I think I have seen this behavior reported before so someone should chime in shortly.

S
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
Ok, I rendered to wav about 20 times then is suddenly "fixed" itself.

There is a new twist though...when I set the "delay at end" to zero, the file size is cut in half! (from 7MB to 3.2MB!). BTW, 1 second doesn't change the size much. It seems to render correctly. However, a bit of the chord is cut off at the last measure.

I need the tune to finish at the end of the last bar. The 2 second delay at end carries the synth past the last measure.

Why in the world would 2 seconds double the file size?

I suppose I could import into Cubase and fade the measure sooner.

S
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
I just remembered what I had done in the past to get this right. I used the "generate soundtrack" application in BIAB. This allows you to export a wav of very specific length.
The goofy thing is that in order to get the full 16 bar song, you need to set the app to render from -1 to 16 (or you have to be a bit of a math wiz and calculate the total time for the tune!)

I will admit, this along with the stuff in my last post is pretty goofy programming..at least from an end user perspective. Way too many vague boxes to check (do people really need all that from this type of program?)

At this point, I mostly use the program to generate synth backing tracks for the RC50 looper to fill out the trio. For that, and use as a songwriting notebook, it works ok. Don't think I would have spent the $300 that Eddie spent.

I guess for now, I have a solution...

Veteran
Veteran
That illustrates the frustration perfectly, sixstring.

WAY too many vague boxes. The box says "render to wav", not "render to wav if and after this specific and ordinal set of conditions is met". I just want to make my BIAB file into a wav file. That doesn't seem like it should be complicated, nor should it have to meet any conditions. Nor should it not work 19 times and suddenly "fix itself" on the 20th try.

I understand why the long time users of this program think it is easy to do some of these basic functions. That's not the issue. After playing baseball for years I know why the best pitches to hit will come on 2-0 or 3-1 counts. I just know. An experienced painter knows why to paint only when the temperature and humidity are just so. An experienced plumber can solder copper pipe perfectly by feel. The answer is "experience".

If it is indeed true that before rendering to wav can be accomplished that specific conditions must be met, then when we click the render to wav button we should get a box that says "Make sure you have done this, this and this or this won't work" rather than have it just fail and freeze my computer.

Similar in concept to why I get an error about the location of my Real Tracks directory which is right where it has been since day 1 and is where BIAB put it during installation. Why do I get THAT error any time I have created a solo section?

2. Send it to us.
Expert
Expert
To Eddie and sixstring. I understand your frustration but I think you are missing an important fact. While you might think a given operation, such as clicking the 'render to DXi' button, should always perform the exact same steps on all platforms it doesn't.

First of all the hardware is different on different PCs. Many devices have physical buffers of different sizes. With multi threading these buffers get cleared and refilled many times a second. An improperly cleared buffer from another background task could easily leave unwanted bytes that corrupt the next process. This shouldn't happen but it can.

Then there is the state of your HD. Has it been defragmented recently? This makes a HUGE difference to the rendering process. Even if windows claims the drive does not need a defrag it probably does. Windows doesn't consider audio apps when deciding if the drive state is optimal.

Next, you have the operating system. Windows has many different calls to read and write disk data. Some are left for legacy purposes.

Then there's third party soft and firm ware. BiaB has to use a number of third party services in the course of creating and rendering. These third party services may not work perfectly under all circumstances. This is why many people suggest updating drivers. They arent passing the buck, they are trying to eliminate possible third party causes.

Finally there's BiaB itself. There are many different settings, some quite obscure, that affect how BiaB works with the OS and third party services. You may need different settings to another user because your system is different.

So all I can suggest is that you understand that BiaB is working fine for thousands of users and you'll get plenty of help here if you bear with us and try the suggestions. Most of us love this software and want you to feel the same way.

BiaB 2013 b366, RB 2013 b4, WinXP Pro SP3, Toshiba M70, 1.8GHz 2GB RAM 100GB HD. Focusrite Saffire 6 USB, Ketron SD2.BiaB Wiki
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Similar in concept to why I get an error about the location of my Real Tracks directory which is right where it has been since day 1 and is where BIAB put it during installation. Why do I get THAT error any time I have created a solo section?

Oh, my I looked into this and was able to fix it by pushing a button you had missed in the soloist setup. Now you not only lose the error message but you will actually hear the soloist playing. Eddie, you'll love this one when I show it to you in the video.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
>> Similar in concept to why I get an error about the location of my Real Tracks directory which is right where it has been since day 1 and is where BIAB put it during installation. Why do I get THAT error any time I have created a solo section?

Likely because the location is not the same one stated in the RealTracks - Preferences section. If you still have the problem, note the exact error message, as it will tell you the details of where it was looking for the file, and you can then confirm if the file is there or not. For example, if your files are in c:\bb\RealTracks and the message says "cannot find RealTrakcs in f:\MyMusic\RealTracks", you'll know that you haven't set things up correctly, and should revisit RealTracks - Preferences.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

>> Similar in concept to why I get an error about the location of my Real Tracks directory which is right where it has been since day 1 and is where BIAB put it during installation. Why do I get THAT error any time I have created a solo section?

Likely because the location is not the same one stated in the RealTracks - Preferences section. If you still have the problem, note the exact error message, as it will tell you the details of where it was looking for the file, and you can then confirm if the file is there or not. For example, if your files are in c:\bb\RealTracks and the message says "cannot find RealTrakcs in f:\MyMusic\RealTracks", you'll know that you haven't set things up correctly, and should revisit RealTracks - Preferences.

Exactly. Since I have Eddie's arrrangement i see that the error message states the RT for the soloist frozen track can not be found and it says it is looking in d:\bb\rb\ c:\bb\rb. The fix for me was simple, since my RT preference is not confused, i simply had to regenerate the custom soloist. And all was fixed. Its all in the video....

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Veteran
Veteran
Trust me lads, the guru watches, and things get fixed. If you are new here, this is a responsive and responsible organization. I do not work for them but with them. I'm proud the consider my meager offerings as advice. I do correspond on issues I think are important. You are right to a degree. There are legacy things hanging on here and there than need better fly by hints, corrections, and just better assistance on work flow issues.

If you feel up to the task, volunteer as a beta tester, outline your equipment, your background, and a bit of a cv.

Trust me, I cannot tell you how often your input ends up in improvements and as a reward, the feeling that you are helping in the development of an amazing end product.

I still spend at least 2 hours a day playing horns, keyboards, EWI's etc, with joy and thankfulness that Oliver Gannon, Miles Black, and Neil Swainson.

Now I'm not a rocker, but check out the creds on these guys. Actually add in there Terry Clark on drums.

Oliver Gannon as a jazz guitarist has been the recipient of the top award in Canada, the Order of Canada. To my mind, we need to all send in a suggestion that Peter be included in that list.

His contribution, in education, and in helping thousands upon thousands become better musicians is something to be proud of, and to be celebrated.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Exactly. Since I have Eddie's arrrangement i see that the error message states the RT for the soloist frozen track can not be found and it says it is looking in d:\bb\rb\ c:\bb\rb. The fix for me was simple, since my RT preference is not confused, i simply had to regenerate the custom soloist. And all was fixed. Its all in the video....

Know why that is extremely strange Dan? That computer NEVER pointed to a D: drive. D: is the DVD drive. So I have to wonder how BIAB is looking to the D: drive. Even when I first connected the standalone drive to install the software, it was E: for those 10 minutes, and when I created the solo in question, everything was running from C:.

I don't want to come off as a whiner, but these kinds of errors I am seeing are the computer equivalent of the wife who says "Well if you don't know why I am mad I am certainly not going to tell you!", something I have far too much experience with having have 3 of those spousal units already. (And was considering doing it again next year until she made the decision that we would not be exchanging vows. Consider it euthanasia.)

Thanks to everybody for helping and tolerating my moods. AND come Saturday when my new desktop arrives, I may get to start all over again!!!

2. Send it to us.
Veteran
Veteran
Gee Ed, and you look so young!

I have discovered that early in the going (years ago) I made boneheaded errors all the time. I usually thought it was the software.

I now know that 99 percent of the time when something is not working, it's my fault. This is happening a bit more as my grey matter turns amber, and as my doc said, I have chemo fog, it takes a year or so. Ha.

So the other day I couldn't get midi ch 5 to work, I tweaked, rebooted, unplugged stuff, reset stuff to factory defaults went for a beer, and then after 2 hours, whack yourself in the head John, you turned off midi 5 because you changed that to mute and nothing was going out. The solution was a keystroke, and right in front of me the whole time.

I am now allowed, due the cheques the government sends me monthly, to claim it was a senior's moment. I just hope the number of seniors' moments is not characterized by some sort of exponential formulae. I must hope that the morning scavanger hunt to find 2 hearing aids, dentures, car keys, reading glasses, UV glasses, cell phone,, cane, and wallet keep my mind sharp enough to get to the store and fiddle with my change while those behind me curse and then laugh at the fact I didn't zip up. Just don't push me, that cane is...

John Conley
Musica est vita
Veteran
Veteran
Well, here in Ohio, where the state tree is The Buckeye, and Ohio State teams are The Buckeyes, we get something called The Golden Buckeye card when turning 60. I just got mine in anticipation of that event on the 27th. In preparation for that day, I have nailed the upstairs windows shut, unloaded my gun and changed from a gas stove to an electric range. Unfortunately I have also just had a tune up on my car, so carbon monoxide is not an option. Damn the timing....

Dan's instructional video was great. I got to watch what he did and see what I didn't.

2. Send it to us.
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
If you just had a tune-up, then the engine should be outputting its full CO abilities...

Veteran
Veteran
I've been rendering a bunch of tunes. They all render perfectly. Sorry.Now D&D has never worked well in that it takes 20 minutes for it to complete. I can render faster.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

If you just had a tune-up, then the engine should be outputting its full CO abilities...

Running TOO clean right now.....

2. Send it to us.
Veteran
Veteran
Could be the prune juice

John Conley
Musica est vita
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,579
Posts734,675
Members38,499
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200