Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#116791 06/10/11 05:55 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
So in another thread I was 'musing' about the 'cloud'.

Those of use who use Google Docs (and by default I guess gmail) have folders of 'cloud' storage.

This application below allows you to have a folder of your files on your desktop so you can drag and drop them to the cloud.

Now my systems are working fine and I don't want to mess with them too much but any guesses as to how hard it would be to have RealTracks files stored 'up there in the cloud' but the folder seems like it's on your computer.

This would be very cool, at least to my thinking. The upload download thing might be a hassle, but given how fast it is moving it's only go to be a matter of time before most software resides somewhere else.

Of course if the movie biz does not take over the whole net. I heard Netflix is using 25 percent of the available bandwith. Gee, and I don't watch movies. (The wife does though, so sometimes I'm in the room, usually sleeping.)

Check out this shareware program:

http://www.gdocsdrive.com/

John Conley
Musica est vita
John Conley #116792 06/10/11 07:36 AM
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
John...

You get quite esoteric at times, and I suspect you are now losing your composure as your wife taunts you with her disappearances into Google's clouds...

but to my mind "these" kinds of multiplicitous (sp?) uses of "storage" are questionable and perhaps not so perceptably inperceptable from Job's apprach to taking creativity potentially, potentially out of this world, so to speak.

Google has been ever so eager to step into already established markets, with services like Buzz, and Google Music. Today we'll take a look at Google Music Beta, which is a cloud based music player. Not that there's anything new with it, but when Google does it, there is this element of curiosity in it. Google Music Beta is no different than the already existing players like Slacker Radio, Pandora or others. This cloud player allows users to stream their music to absolutely any internet connection.

The cloud based music player by Google, was made available for Motorola XOOM owners in the U.S., and some attendees of the Google I/O conference. It is expected to be rolled out to mobile platforms worldwide.

Google Music Beta

Users will have to download Google's Music Manager and add all the songs from their computer's library. You don't even have to do that really; the software will scan your hard drive and also add all the music. All you have to do is click on a button approving the uploading of songs to the cloud, and the magic happens. Google recommends you to do it over Wi-Fi or 3G, since it requires a lot of time to upload to the cloud. You will also have the ability to stop the upload and resume it at any given time, so it's not imperative that you upload them all at once. You can access the uploaded music by downloading a Google Music app from the Android Market. The app's interface is similar to that of the stock Android player. So there's nothing new in that regard.

The best part about this player is that just about any device with an internet connection, be it the iPhone or the BlackBerry PlayBook, can access the music library very easily. You only need to log in from their respective browsers with appropriate credentials and you're good to go. It's very commendable that this service isn't restricted only to Android. This service will be free, so that's another benefit for users all over the world. Let's hope this service is rolled out all over the world pretty soon.

From the demos it is clear that Google is all set for a grand opening of the Google Music Beta. Since this is still in its Beta stage, it is plausible that some flaws may be found. We'll have to wait till Google releases the full version of the player to get a complete idea of its functionalities.

Apple recently showed off iCloud, which is a similar service, and offers more or less similar functionality. From what we've learnt, iCloud will be able to store absolutely any data on the cloud and is not limited to just music. So Google might want to look closely at that aspect. Perhaps, Google could launch another service to counter iCloud. But one thing is for sure, when the full version of Google Music and the iCloud is released, comparisons are going to be made. Also, iCloud offers photo storage and other data storage facilities as well, so I think we have a clear winner. But nothing can be said as of now, since there is still some time left for the service to be launched officially.

Apple's iCloud

In the meanwhile, check out the demonstration video of Google Music Beta below:

In other words, we're not talking about watching stored movies and other "programs" like I do with my "Tivo", but old Steve-0-reeno is instead opening "the heavenly door" to artist who are in the midst of creative unforgettable works of art, like these PG folks do.

I don't believe Job is looking for making more billions from tablets, phone and pods that can "be lost in the clouds of creative tools (programs) that we poor and destitute musicans--and other artisans--could benefit from.

I think he basically just wants to leave behind something really good...and cheaper by far than anyone else can provide "it", for those wonderful eons ahead before the sun burst forth for the last time. Then, of course we are all "ccoked"...or "cookin', as
Louis Armstrong would say.

So, as Marlene would murmer...."See what the boys in the back cloud will have!!

Last edited by GDaddy; 06/10/11 08:47 AM.
John Conley #116793 06/10/11 07:45 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
i am seeing a trend in free remote (cloud) storage. two recent device purchases, a flip video and a digital voice recorder both come with free cloud storage. flip video calls it "flip share" which allows users 20 gb to upload their videos (huge files) then share by linking to them. viewing is immediate, downloading is optional. i think that manufacturers of devices that produce monster files have had to realize that their customers will need a place to store them so they are simply staying ahead of the curve.

e plurebus unum (i read that somewhere), touche' herr conley!
furthermore, in hoc signo vinces!

Don Gaynor #116794 06/10/11 08:32 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
No Linux BUT we have our own cloud

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
silvertones #116795 06/10/11 08:38 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
There are several of those online storage locations available. I use box.net for mine, as well as Google Docs. There is also Mozy, Dropbox, Livedrive.... just Google search "online storage" and you can find several. If you set up an account on each of them you can get a lot of storage. Most offer 5gb free. If you have 5 of those, you have 25gb free available to you. You just need to get used to storing different kinds of data to different places. Like send your music that you want portable to box.net, your docs to dropbox, etc.... and then just remember when you ened a file which system that type of file is on.

I like them because I can access them from my iPhone.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
eddie1261 #116796 06/10/11 08:46 AM
Off-Topic
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
I guess I'm a bit paranoid, but I prefer to keep my stuff under my control on my computer. It's not enough that between Apple and MS they control most all of the computers in the world. Now they want access?

Don S.

Curmudgeon #116797 06/10/11 08:53 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Don,
I have to disagree with you to some extent.These companies have a MUCH better handle on protecting your files on their servers then you do on your computer, inmost cases.What your saying is "I'd rather keep my jewels at home then in the bank's safe deposit box".

As a side note. We are going to end up exactly were Sun Micro Systems tried to get computers to go way, way back. Then Gates stepped in.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
Curmudgeon #116798 06/10/11 08:57 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
The have no access to your computer. And your stuff is under your "control" since your account has a password on it, and you don't delete your original from your computer, so.... too much on the news about security that scares people. Nobody wants your cookie recipe. You are not a prized target to hack. I won't get into how encryption works because that's not what this forum is for, but if someone is smart enough to first of all guess a 128 bit encryption key AND know which algorithm created it, then can have my files. They earned them......

That offline storage is just a server somewhere with your directory on it. You have to initiate transfers, they can not reach out randomly and look at your computer.

But bottom line, it's your call on what you do. Carry flash drives around instead. But then, to carry the "paranoia" concept to it's ultimate conclusion, what would prevent someone from "hacking" YOU by clunking you on the head and stealing your flash drives from your pocket? And sadly, in this world we live in now, THAT is more likely to happen than someone hacking into some remote storage drive and picking YOU to steal from.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
eddie1261 #116799 06/10/11 09:08 AM
Off-Topic
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Quote:

Nobody wants your cookie recipe. You are not a prized target to hack.

I'm well aware, nobody wants my cookie recipe, but in my paranoid mind if I had something that others really wanted, I wouldn't be trusting it to some unknown someone, regardless of how many safeguards they propose.

My files stored under my own control can't be hacked if they're not connected to the internet.

Don S.

eddie1261 #116800 06/10/11 09:32 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
eddie, just to add to the paranoia...a hot-selling yuppie "must-have" is a carbon composite (think stealth bomber) wallet that prevents remote scanning of your credit cards. every serious id thief has a scanner so now the honest bloke needs to spend us$800 to protect himself. oh, it also prevents x-radiation (from airport scanners) erasure and its waterproof just in case your plane has to ditch mid-pacific. a real bargain at 'sharper image.'

Curmudgeon #116801 06/10/11 10:39 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

My files stored under my own control can't be hacked if they're not connected to the internet.

I am asking this only because I am curious. How old are you, and how long have you been involved with computers and networking?

I mean obviously you don't trust that someone from somewhere isn't out to get you, and that is fine, but I am just trying to understand why.

Yes, there are bad people out there. Yes, you have to be aware and acquire knowledge of how this stuff works to protect yourself. Yes, there is a lot of hype on TV telling you how the world is out to get you and there are 10,000 new infections out there every day and every one of them wants to get YOU.

The reality is quite different. I have been a computer tech since 1982, a network tech since 1993, and with all those years of experience I have NEVER been attacked by a virus. Why? Because I know how to protect myself. My last wife was the perfect virus victim because she was nosy by nature. Some spammer would send her an email with a provocative title like "I am very upset about last Tuesday" and her ridiculous mind would immediately go to "What was I supposed to do last Tuesday and why is this person (who I have never met and have NO idea who they are) emailing me about it?" And she would open the email and get infected, which then turned into 3 hours of my time cleaning her computer. And then blame me for her opening the dirty email....

Point being, you ARE in "control". 100% of the time. Nobody could get to your files in an online storage site without your account info, and you can change that info every time you log in if you like. I change passwords every 4 weeks. That in itself is a little paranoid, but it is just good practice. And don't use the same password everywhere. Include non standard characters, like make the S be a 5, the O be a 0, etc..... it is safe. Don't believe the hype.

eddie1261 #116802 06/10/11 10:48 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
The Apple Cloud.

I am pretty sure the following is true. Apple would like you to buy Sunshine Superman (it's a song LOL) for 99 cents. They will store it for you. It's got apple permissions and golly can you ever play that on your Igear. Don't go storing the one you labouriously ripped from your original 45 or STEREO lp. In the paranoid world of the scaremongers you got that from Napster and deserve 'Federal Time.'

I have Dropbox.

What I'd like is a way to put a Q:\ or Q:/ drive on my Linux or Windowz machine.

I could store anything.

I see the new commercials for Norton. Very funny. You should not need it, I agree with Ed.

John Conley
Musica est vita
John Conley #116803 06/10/11 11:04 AM
Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Interesting points about the pros and cons of the cloud.

As Joni would say... "I've looked at the cloud from Both Sides Now"

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
eddie1261 #116804 06/10/11 11:22 AM
Off-Topic
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Well Eddie,I'm sure I don't match up to your experience, but I didn't come into this world at 76 years of age, either.

If you were a Chinese or Iranian dissident, would you still store your stuff on the Cloud? If you were a terrorist, would you store your stuff on the Cloud and believe that the FBI could never read it?

I read everyday about Chinese hackers hacking some pretty big stuff, such as the Pentagon and big corporations, so I don't believe that anything is fool proof, even the Cloud, and no, I don't believe that anyone is out to get me. I was talking about possibilities.

I'm sure that nobody cares about me, but in my paranoia, I'm going to do my best to protect my cookie recipe that no one gives a hoot about. I'll sell you some at six bucks a dozen plus shipping.

End of discussion for me.

Don S.

PeterGannon #116805 06/10/11 11:43 AM
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Anyone using Twitpic? Why not? It's free and it's easy to use. Come on...FREE webspace to store your photo's.

No takers ?

Probably because there was a big riot this may regarding their recent change in the EULA. In short it says that Twitpic may use and sell YOUR pictures for whatever means they want. You have given up your copyright and ownership-rights with the use of Twitpic.

I do have a Gmail account. I use it when I have to register my email-adress on a site. But I NEVER use it to send private mail, pictures or music. In the EULA of Gmail is stated that Google may use any content that you have stored on their servers...

Sure, Don S. wouldn't mind all that much if his cookie recipe would be up in the clouds. But does anyone really think Coca Cola will store their recipe on any cloud?

It's not hackers you need to worry about when using these free online storage facilities, it is your copyright and your ownership-rights.

No such thing as free lunch. Not with the big boys playing the game.

I am not against remote storage in any way: I do make (well, it's automatic) daily backups of all our computers and have them stored on remote servers. I pay a small amount of money for that service each month, but I can rely on the safety of all my files AND my copyrights, ownership-rights and privacy of all data.

eddie1261 #116806 06/10/11 11:45 AM
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Security is important. No one wants their private data stolen.
But having someone access you files is very different from losing them.

In 2006 we had every file from over 20 years of computing backed up onto CDs and External Drives, when we became victims of a flood that took out the whole first floor of our house. We had to evacuate just as the water was ankle deep. We had less than thirty minutes to pack our car and head for higher ground.

We lost virtually all our possessions. The water was 5 feet high on the first floor for over eight days. It was dirty, filthy, oily water. Amazingly all the data on our Hard Drives survived the eight days underwater. If I had known that the Hard Drives would survive and CDs wouldn’t, I never would have burned one CD for backup. We had spindles full of CDs that just melded together into bricks. The house was left with over six inches of oily mud in it. We had professionals clean out the house before gutting it for the rebuild. In some rooms the floors were gone and you could see the basement. It was horrifying.

If we had had online storage, we wouldn't have lost any data.
I'm not so worried about someone accessing my files as I am of losing them.
Online storage is the only safe offsite storage. It's there if you have to start over.

Wayne,

Don Gaynor #116807 06/10/11 12:58 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
The rfid card is another matter. If you have one a simple 5 buck envelope to put it in will safeguard the data. I don't have one. Yet.

As to the Google and gmail thing, they make money from ads. That's the biz. If I get an email from someone who is pushing a cookie recipe guess what comes up on the right hand side. Stoves, mixes, cookies. But if it's mics it's electronic gear. I'm fully informed and aware. And not worried. The second google did something wrong with data there would be a crash that would reverberate around the world.

My daughter in law works for one of the world's largest banks. Corporate computing relations. They scan all of facebook and twitter to see who's saying what about them. 24/7. Can't have a rumour start or a PR disaster wait until the next biz day. She hates twitter but took the job, 2 rungs up in pay and other goodies. She doesn't even twit. I'd hate to have a twit for a family member.

All that said I can create docs using google docs. My spreadsheets are passed around to those who need them, without me emailing them. They can update them or not depending on my permissions. We did all this with Unix in the past, it's not really new, but it's new to the pc level of thinking. And at work they READ my emails. All of them. BORING.

I never thought to send pictures of my Conley out though. I'm not much of a weiner. Or is it wiener? Danke.

John Conley
Musica est vita
John Conley #116808 06/10/11 01:46 PM
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
John,

You understand how it works and are OK with the consequences. So am I, up to a certain level. With my band we use Google calendar. Perfect for viewing and blocking dates we have to rehearse or gig. My personal calender on my iPhone (and HTC's before that) are synced with....Google calendar. So is my wife's calendar. I'm not afraid that that data will be used against me. (I never enter dates and addresses for appointments to rob a bank and such )

But I would hate to see pictures of my wife and/or kid used in some ad or as a stock-photo on whatever website or magazine. That is however a real possibility when you would use Twitpic.

I also would hate to have written a classic rock tune and see some-one else take it away from me, just because I had stored it on a "free" piece of web space.

Mike sings #116809 06/10/11 01:58 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
The most notable element of the iCloud is the iTunes Match service that gives users cloud-based access to their full digital music libraries. This includes songs purchased on iTunes as well as any other music files, which will be identified by Apple and made available without the need to upload the copy. Itunes Match has obtained the blessing of the major record labels, who will reportedly receive the lion’s share of the service’s $24.95 (U.S.) annual fee.

The Apple announcement comes on the heels of newly-launched music cloud services from Internet giants Amazon and Google. The Amazon Cloud Player allow users to upload their own music to Amazon’s computer servers and to stream it to any device, while Music Beta by Google similarly involves uploading music files for streaming access. Neither Amazon nor Google obtained licenses for their services, relying instead on their users’ fair use rights to shift their music to the “cloud.”

From the Toronto Star.

So Itunes goes through your stuff and decides if it's legal. Nice.

Of course there are different laws in Canada with more restrictions so none of the above are going to be available here. Seems like too tough a nut to crack. Peel me a grape.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Curmudgeon #116810 06/10/11 02:45 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

I'm sure that nobody cares about me, but in my paranoia, I'm going to do my best to protect my cookie recipe that no one gives a hoot about. I'll sell you some at six bucks a dozen plus shipping.

You put nuts in yours?

Having worked for an Internet provider I dealt with this a lot, and your concerns are valid to a degree. Bottom line is you have to be comfortable. There are still people who refuse to use online banking to pay bills because they do not trust the security, and there is not one thing wrong with that. I bought a box of 300 checks 4 years ago. I still have 294 of them. I pay everything online, direct deposit in, electronic transfer out. And that's sad because one of the tellers at my branch is HOT!!! I believe that your odds of being hacked are less than the odds of a plane flying over your house losing an engine and the trajectory of that engine be such that it will hit YOUR house. Sure it will hit SOMEBODY'S house, but if you live in fear of what could happen, you'll never leave your bunker.

Peace.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,401
Posts732,565
Members38,444
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Descoward, danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J
38,443 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200