Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#119032 - 07/01/11 02:17 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Help me spend my money: advice on USB audio interface and DAW software
jazzwombat Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Balmer, Merlan, USA
I recently upgraded to a new Windows 7 64-bit computer (Core I5, 2500K, 3.3G) with 16 gb RAM. In the process, I want to upgrade from my old EMU USB audio/midi interface and Sonar 4 LE software. The only requirements I have for the interface is that it must be USB 2 (or 3) and it has to have at least 4 mic/analog inputs, with phantom power, plus midi inputs, and at least four analog outputs. Of course, it has to work with BIAB, but that's a given, right? I like Sonar 4 and thought to buy Sonar X1 Studio, but I'm open to suggestions. My major use of my DAW is recording my saxophone over backing tracks. If the backing tracks are midi, I pipe through a Ketron SD2, which then inputs through analog.

I was seriously looking at the M-Audio Fast Track Ultra interface, but after reading a recent post here and other reviews around the web, I'm a bit nervous about that idea.

So, here's your chance to help me spend my hard-earned money. What USB audio/midi interface and DAW software would you buy? I'd like to keep the total cost of hardware and software to $500-600, but I might go higher if the increased cost translates to better quality.

If you have a minute, please offer advice, suggestions, etc. I know many of you have DAWs, so let me know what your opinions are, please.

Thank you!

The wombat of jazz aka Bob

Edited by jazzwombat (07/01/11 02:18 PM)

#119033 - 07/01/11 02:26 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Help me spend my money: advice on USB audio interface and DAW software [Re: jazzwombat]
Matt Finley Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
Bob, couple of thoughts.

First, about SONAR, I have X1 after using SONAR 3, 5, 7, and 8.5. Be aware that all those were very similar to version 4, but X1 is a very different animal. I like it, but it takes some relearning. Most of the deal-breaker bugs are fixed now but a couple of very specific ones remain. There's more to this, of course, if you need it.

Second, about M-Audio, I also read some warnings here about drivers and Windows 7 64-bit. It is my understanding that the problems people experienced were mostly a year ago, and that the drivers have been updated and things work fine now. Others may have a different view, but my Fast Track Pro works great.

ps I LOVE Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, running from a SSD boot drive. Not one BSOD in over a year!

also ps: forgive some repeated info. I see you are the same poster where we corresponded about having two soundcards.

Edited by Matt Finley (07/01/11 02:31 PM)
BIAB 2018 Win Audiophile; [& 2018 Mac Pro]. Software: Mixcraft, Adobe Audition, Ozone, Encore; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7, 16 Gb RAM; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20(2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & 6" monitors.

#119034 - 07/01/11 03:16 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Help me spend my money: advice on USB audio interface and DAW software [Re: Matt Finley]
jazzwombat Offline
Journeyman

Quote:

also ps: forgive some repeated info. I see you are the same poster where we corresponded about having two soundcards.

Hi Matt,

Hey, sometimes I need to hear things several times before they sink in, so repeat away
Seriously, nice to hear some good things about the M-Audio interface. Its specs are impressive and it's the right price. I just hate hearing of the problems.

Thanks for the advice!

Bob

#119035 - 07/01/11 03:33 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Help me spend my money: advice on USB audio interface and DAW software [Re: jazzwombat]
eddie1261 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
My M-Audio Fast Track Pro 2 is on it's 3rd computer and has not complained yet. And their support is very good, just like here. Web page with a user forum....

I have to ask why so many inputs? Don't you put everything on it's own track? If you are going to record in real time, just use a mixer and pan L&R. Advantage is speed. Disadvantage is that one player's clams hurt the whole take. Discreet tracking let's you tweak one track only, like I have to do with my foghorn like vocals....

#119036 - 07/01/11 04:18 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Help me spend my money: advice on USB audio interface and DAW software [Re: eddie1261]
jazzwombat Offline
Journeyman

Quote:

I have to ask why so many inputs? Don't you put everything on it's own track? If you are going to record in real time, just use a mixer and pan L&R.

I have limited space (desk space) and didn't want to add additional hardware, so I wasn't interested in getting a mixer, but I understand why it would help. I really only need 4 analog inputs (2 Mics and 2 plugs -- for the Ketron) plus the midi, but I got burnt on my EMU, which only has two, so I figured err on the side of too many this time . I wish I had a better reason, but no.

#119037 - 07/01/11 04:32 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Help me spend my money: advice on USB audio interface and DAW software [Re: jazzwombat]
eddie1261 Offline
Veteran

When I ran out of space, I built UP. Made some stacking shelves, bought a table top 12 space rack to screw everything in to.... but everybody's studio is different in what they have and how they use it, so it really is a case of what works for you. And the older school you are (like me) you know "your way" to do it.

For me, I do BIAB first. Then I put it through a mixer that has a digital reverb looped through it. I then record the BIAB tracks panned left and right to track 1 and 2 of an 8 track Tascam direct to disc recorder. Then I sing onto track 3 and 4. That leaves me 5,6,7 and 8 for additional keyboards, harmonies that come from a vocoder, guitar parts....

But again, that's just what I do and it isn't necessarily the way everybody does things.

On topic, that M-Audio Fast Track will work for you.

#119038 - 07/01/11 07:13 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Help me spend my money: advice on USB audio interface and DAW software [Re: jazzwombat]
MusicStudent Offline
Veteran

Loc: Chicago
Quote:

I know many of you have DAWs, so let me know what your opinions are, please.

Do you know what is available in REAPER? It is quite impressive.

#119039 - 07/01/11 07:32 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Help me spend my money: advice on USB audio interface and DAW software [Re: MusicStudent]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Hi Bob,

Like Dan above, I now use Reaper as my DAW. I used to use Sonar (from versions 4 through to 7). Then I started hearing some terrific productions in the User Showcase forum on here where people used Reaper for the final product. Reaper has a great deal going for it. Once you learn to use it, the user interface is incredibly versatile and gives very professional results.

Also, the Cockos plugins that come with the software are excellent (these days I pretty much only use these plugins even though I have around 500 other ones).

Lastly, there is some terrific documentation available for Reaper to help you get the best out of it. I purchased a couple of PDF books from the Cockos website that are fantastic and I also purchased a hardcopy book through Amazon. Because of these books, I'm understanding Reaper in 12 months a whole heap more than I ever understood Sonar in 6 years.

What is amazing is that Reaper is incredibly cheap to buy.

Regards,
Noel

#119040 - 07/01/11 07:58 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Help me spend my money: advice on USB audio interface and DAW software [Re: Noel96]
MusicStudent Offline
Veteran

Loc: Chicago
Ya, what Noel said..
SoundCloud

#119041 - 07/01/11 11:01 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Help me spend my money: advice on USB audio interface and DAW software [Re: MusicStudent]
jcspro40 Offline
Expert

Loc: Ohio-USA
I am also a Reap user, but if you use midi a lot, then you might want to take a long look before you buy. All tho the midi works fine for my needs, there are folks who say it is missing a lot of every day workflow parameters....

Then again, you can grab it for $40 at the moment, which gives you updates to 4.99...at the is something you don't find too often....
Custom Core2Quad 3.2Ghz, 8gb memory, 1gb nVidia dual monitor card, 1tb OS HDD, 2 2gb Internal HDD, 8tb External HDD, dual LG 27" Monitors, Win7 x64 Ultimate, BiaB/RB 2017, Reaper 4.75, Mixbus 32C, IK Multimedia / iZotope / Plug & Mix VST-VSTi Collections

#119042 - 07/02/11 07:52 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Help me spend my money: advice on USB audio interface and DAW software [Re: jcspro40]
Tommyc Offline
Veteran

Have you tried Real Band as a DAW ? Comes free with Biab and is loaded with some very usable plug-ins . My M-Audio works with everything, not always with the ASIO drivers that came with it . Save your money for Biab updates !

#119043 - 07/05/11 06:11 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Help me spend my money: advice on USB audio interface and DAW software [Re: Tommyc]
Reg Offline
Enthusiast

Want great sound, rock solid drivers and monitor's that will blow you away, not for the faint of heart price wise. I this case the saying "you get for what you pay" apply's here.

Interface= RME USB Fireface UC $1298.00 CAD

Powered Monitors= Focal CMS 65 $825.00 CAD each

Total= $2948 CAD +tax

Most people try to reproduce what they hear on commercial recordings right?, well, you can't do it on the cheap. Get a great interface with solid driver's and great sounding monitor's and you won't regret it. RME are known all over the world for there rock solid driver's and clean pre-amps under XP, Win7 x86 or 64. Go demo this gear and you will buy. This equipment is top notch and will last a lifetime. You only need to buy once and be happy.

And for Daw, if you do a internet search you will find many. the better come with a little learning curve. But in the end you'll be glad you put your head to it. Nuendo and Cubase come to mind here witch is what I use. Pro to the max, jam pack with very usefull features. Lot's to think about here but, how serious are you about making music that will satisfy your ears. Food for the soul here.

#119044 - 07/05/11 07:23 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Help me spend my money: advice on USB audio interface and DAW software [Re: Reg]
jcspro40 Offline
Expert

Loc: Ohio-USA
Quote:

My major use of my DAW is recording my saxophone over backing tracks. If the backing tracks are midi, I pipe through a Ketron SD2, which then inputs through analog.

I'd like to keep the total cost of hardware and software to $500-600, but I might go higher if the increased cost translates to better quality.

The wombat of jazz aka Bob

I think 2k + is a little out of the price he was looking for!

No matter WHAT software & hardware you go for, just MAKE SURE that there are solid drivers for Win 7 64bit, and that the software is 64bit capable. One reason that I did not go for Win7 64 until a few weeks ago was because of the buggie M-Audio drivers for my Delta 66. In Win7 32bit they were fine, in 64 they were....not....

Triple check the SW and HW to make SURE that it has good Win7 64 bit support, and you will be good to go....
Custom Core2Quad 3.2Ghz, 8gb memory, 1gb nVidia dual monitor card, 1tb OS HDD, 2 2gb Internal HDD, 8tb External HDD, dual LG 27" Monitors, Win7 x64 Ultimate, BiaB/RB 2017, Reaper 4.75, Mixbus 32C, IK Multimedia / iZotope / Plug & Mix VST-VSTi Collections

#119045 - 07/05/11 10:10 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Help me spend my money: advice on USB audio interface and DAW software [Re: jcspro40]
eddie1261 Offline
Veteran

If he is buying a new interface, there will be Windows 7 drivers. Used gear.... ah, now we are dealing with a different breed of cat!

Gotta believe for 2 large he gets Windows 7 drivers... LOL!!!

#119046 - 07/06/11 09:57 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Help me spend my money: advice on USB audio interface and DAW software [Re: eddie1261]
jazzwombat Offline
Journeyman

Thanks for the help and useful advice.

FYI: Right now, I am leaning towards the M-Audio Fast Track Ultra and Sonar X1...

Best regards,

Bob aka jazzwombat

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
Video - 202 NEW RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac!

With the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac we also released 202 NEW RealTracks (in Sets 278-300)!

Listen to all the individual demos here: www.pgmusic.com/bbmac.202newrealtracks.htm, or watch our Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac - 202 New RealTracks Overview Video: http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=7ZrfGSqjaOU

Get all 202 new RealTracks when you purchase any Band-in-a-Box® 2018 UltraPAK, Audiophile Edition, or the PlusPAK upgrade - on sale until May 31st!

Holiday Hours - Monday, May 21st

We're celebrating Victoria Day on Monday, May 21st. Our hours for the long weekend will be:

Customer Service:
Saturday, May 19: 7:00am - 5:00pm PST
Sunday, May 20: 8:00am - 4:00pm PST
Monday, May 21: 8:00am - 4:00pm PST

Technical Support:
Closed (will re-open Tues, May 22 at 10am PST)

Video - The Audio Chord Wizard in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac boasts over 50 new features and enhancements... including the Build-in Audio Chord Wizard!

The Audio Chord Wizard has been redesigned and is now built into Band-in-a-Box®. Previously, the Audio Chord Wizard was a separate app and not tightly integrated into Band-in-a-Box®. This app is still available from the [Audio Chord Wizard] toolbar button, but the improved built-in Audio Chord Wizard can be accessed from the Audio Edit window.

Watch our latest video to learn more: Video link - Audio Chord Wizard in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac

Video - Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac - Everything You Need to Know in Under 5 Minutes!

Want to quickly see the new features included in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac in action?

Check out this video, Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac® ! Everything you need to know in under 5 minutes*: http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=XSSQpijRyxk

*The video includes an extra 2 minutes for the 49-PAK! The first 5 minutes show you all of the great new features and content available with Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac®, and it's followed by additional video showing off the 2018 49-PAK for Mac.

Xtra Styles PAKs are ON SALE until May 31st!

Xtra Styles PAK 4 was initially released with our Windows version of Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows, and with the release of our Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac, we're having a sale!

Xtra Styles PAK 4 has over 150 RealStyles for Rock-Pop, Jazz, Country, and 'Folk and Beyond' styles, which work with the RealTracks included in any Band-in-a-Box® version 2017 or higher UltraPAK/UltraPlusPAK, EverythingPAK, or Audiophile Edition!

We've put all of our Xtra Styles PAKs on SALE until May 31st! Purchase any Xtra Styles PAK (1 - 4) for just $29 each! (reg. $49) http://www.pgmusic.com/xtrastyles.php?os=mac

Listen to all the demos of these new Xtra Styles here, or check out this video: http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=Zl_wr47d2V0

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac - 45 Requests Fulfilled!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac is here, and there's more than 80 new features! We've answered some user requests with this release, including:

Q. I am learning guitar. The RealTracks are very helpful in that I can hear great guitar players, and most of the tracks have tab and notation as well. But there is much more to guitar, could you include some videos of some of the RealTracks Artists? Because I would learn much more from seeing a guitarist than just hearing them.

A. We have a major new feature called "Video RealTracks." These work and sound like RealTracks, but you get to see a video of the Guitarist (or whatever instrument) playing as well. The amazing thing is that this works with any chord progression you type in. So, if you want to learn to play like the great guitarist Brent Mason, for example, you can type in chords to any progression you are interested in, and then hear and see a video of Brent soloing over your progression. Now you can learn much quicker, as it helps to see how a musician is performing, as well as to hear.

Q. I use the feature to make a video of the chord sheet from a Band-in-a-Box song. I use it to make backing tracks and upload them to YouTube. But these don't include any notation for the melody and lyrics of my songs. My viewers would like to see the melody and lyrics too. Is there a way you can include the melody in the video? I've tried recording this with screen capture programs, but it's time consuming, recording in real time, and the audio quality and sync are not that good.

A. Yes, Band-in-a-Box 2018 can do this now. You can save your song as a video of the notation track. So that includes the notation, guitar tab, and lyrics. And saving the whole video and audio just takes a few seconds, much faster than real time recording. Just load in your song with chords, melody, lyrics, and/or guitar tab, and press Save-As Notation Video. Your song will be up on YouTube in no time!

Q. I am songwriter and uses Band-in-a-Box to make backing tracks for my productions. I'm starting to make videos and upload them to YouTube. Can Band-in-a-Box help with my production videos?

A. Band-in-a-Box 2018 can now make videos with Video RealTracks, of the musicians performing the RealTracks. And they are playing along to your song's chord progression. You can include these videos in your own song performance, which adds a nice visual element.

Q. I use the Audio Harmonies in Band-in-a-Box. But I find the harmonies simplistic, in that they are mainly using chord tones. The Band-in-a-Box MIDI harmonies are more sophisticated, using passing tones. Why can't my Audio Harmonies work like that?

A. We've added support for new types of Audio Harmonies in the Audio Edit Window. These do allow you to choose any Band-in-a-Box MIDI harmony that has passing tones or sophisticated jazz voicings (adding 4 parts to make a 5-part jazz voicing for example). Band-in-a-Box automatically figures out the MIDI version of your melody so it uses this to create the harmonies.

Q. The new toolbar is nice, but needs more color options. Too much grey! How about skins?

A. We've added support for skins, and you can choose color or grey scale options for toolbar, mixer etc.

And more!!!

All of the new features in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac can be reviewed at http://www.pgmusic.com/bbmac.new.htm

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac is Here - Up to 40% off Upgrades!

Just released: Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac with over 50 new features, 202 New RealTracks, 40 NEW Video RealTracks, 32 new MIDI SuperTracks, 108 new Instrumental Studies, 8 new Artist Performances, 52 new loops, and 40 AmpliTube presets with 37 associated styles!

We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac Upgrade purchases until May 31, 2018 - save up to 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac Upgrade!

This year we are celebrating 30 YEARS of Band-in-a-Box®! We've packed our Free Bonus PAK & 49-PAK with some amazing Add-ons: www.pgmusic.com/bbmac.bonuspaks_2018.htm

If you check out http://www.pgmusic.com/bbmac.packages.htm, you'll see the new 2018 package options available. To summarize:

Band-in-a-Box® Pro $129
Upgrade from Version 2017: $59 (reg: $69)
Upgrade from Version 2016 or earlier or crossgrade: $69 (reg: $79)
Special 2018 Program Update from 2017: $49 **Requires Version 2017. Includes version 2018 program updates only. (No other Add-ons or Bonus PAK)

Band-in-a-Box® MegaPAK $269
Upgrade from Version 2017: $89 (reg: $149)
Upgrade from Version 2016: $99 (reg: $159)

Band-in-a-Box® PlusPAK
Upgrade from Version 2017: $99 (reg: $129)
(The PlusPAK is designed to upgrade 2017 UltraPlusPAK & EverythingPAK users who are downloading their upgrade or do not want to purchase a new hard drive)

NEW! Band-in-a-Box® UltraPAK Formerly the UltraPlusPAK $469
Upgrade from Version 2017: $149 (reg: $279)
Upgrade from Version 2016 or earlier or crossgrade: $169 (reg: $299)

Band-in-a-Box® Audiophile Edition $669
Upgrade from Version 2017 Audiophile: $199 - limited time offer!
Upgrade from 2017: $479
Upgrade from Version 2016 or earlier or crossgrade: $499
Upgrade from any previous Audiophile: $299

Learn more about all the new features in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac: www.pgmusic.com/bbmac.new.htm

Forum Stats
27506 Members
50 Forums
51775 Topics
427784 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
BOSS RV-3 DD/R, bcprods, vicp, l0nnie450, Jdashiell

27506 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Icelander 420
zedd 190