Print Thread
Go To
#120863 07/12/11 04:03 AM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
alan S. Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Seems that every midi style I've tried will play a minor riff piano pattern at some point over a Maj7b5 chord. I'm not using real tracks so not sure if it applies to those as well. (Easy to determine by setting up a one chord file) Surely some kind of bug here.

Alan

alan S. #120864 07/12/11 04:46 AM
Expert
Expert
Alan, I just tested some styles, and they all work fine. But I discovered some strange things. For example, for the MIDI style grace.sty, piano track is correct, I mean we do get Xmaj7b5 chords, but for the guitar track play a Xmaj7 chord.
Have you some names of styles that don't work ? Did you do a 'Retun to Factory settings', it often solves many looking bugged situations.

Reach for excellence
John-Luke #120865 07/12/11 05:10 AM
alan S. Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Hi John Luke, thanks for the suggestion, I'll try it. I'm testing most of the modern jazz style set just now and they all have the same problem.

As for the guitar tracks only playing a Major, that's a familiar issue I'm afraid. You'll often find they're using masks for riff patterns which don't distinguish between major and altered major. I've asked about this before but nothing has been done.

Best regards

Alan

B
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
B
I highlighted an issue recently with rendering files to WAV from BIAB 2011 (Build 318). Someone said the problem was because I was using ASIO rather than MME for my audio driver - changed to MME, restarted BIAB and tried rendering a song - exactly the same result - the real tracks/real drums become out of synch with the midi tracks, BUT only after a tempo change bar. It's as if the real track/drums can't cope with it. Everything works fine on playback direct from BIAB, only on the rednedered WAV file is there a problem.

Veteran
Veteran
only the rendered wav file is problem.

There is a method that comes to mind. I often open Audacity and let the song play through, fix and fade in the intro and outro and adjust other parameters there.

The advantage to this is you can start the recording in Audacity, go back to Band in a Box, play the file (I use replay after playing and adjusting it) and record it to a stereo track. In fact I have sent just drums or bass to separate tracks in Audacity and then I can change other things on each track.

Just a suggestion.

And if you didn't know Audacity is free.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Veteran
Veteran
Do you have the realtracks updates? Not the prgram, the realtracks ... I seem to recall the tempo change issue was a fix at one point

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
B
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
B
Yes, all the updtaes have been applied. I recall this problem happened around BIAB 2006/7 issue, with that in mind, I completely uninstalled BIAB and started again when I purchased 2011 - just in case. The real tracks are mostly new (purchased and downloaded in the last month or so) only the real drums are older, but as you say, the patches I have downloaded haven't helped at all. Just seems really strange that playing 'live' direct from BIAB works ok, only when I render a song is there a problem, and only then if the song has a rit. in it. If it's the same tempo all the way through the render is perfect!

Veteran
Veteran
Boz,

An alternative way of making a WAV file (as opposed to rendering) is to use the Audio track in BIAB. Set the soundcard to "Record what it hears" (the actual name varies from card to card), then record audio in BIAB. The audio file will be saved to the directory that you're working in and will have the name of the SGU/MGU file.

Also, I notice rharv mentioned the Realtracks update. I've had a look at the support page and there's always an update for "RealDrums Sets 1-29 Updates - since June 2008 (230 MB)". I mention this just in case this update slipped by.

Regards,
Noel

Last edited by Noel96; 07/12/11 06:56 AM.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
B
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
B
Mmmm... Can't see why it just won't do what it's supposed to, it always did on the older version of BIAB, I wonder if there's a glitch on 2011?

alan S. #120872 07/12/11 07:08 AM
Veteran
Veteran
I know what you mean Alan at least with midi it's easily changed with editing . In real band I sometimes regenerate just a section until it plays something suitable . I'm totally lame when it come to chord substitution do you know a sub for maj7b5 chord ? Do you think a Cmaj7b5 as B7sus/C sub maybe that would send a different message for the riff patterns?

Tommyc #120873 07/12/11 07:41 AM
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
B7sus/C would add an A that isn't in the Cmaj7b5 chord.

Bsus/C, no 7, would spell out from bottom to top as C,B,E,F# and would at least contain the same notes. Likely would sound best if the Style used an Open Voicing...

This might be a case where BiaB is being given a chord that doesn't make sense to the underlying ruleset. Often is the case where the *location* of a given chord within the other chords around it seems to have something to do with how BB handles these things.

--Mac

Mac #120874 07/12/11 07:52 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Thank You I see it now great substitution ! Seems to work so far !

Last edited by Tommyc; 07/12/11 07:58 AM.
Tommyc #120875 07/15/11 06:22 AM
alan S. Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Yeah i like that one too! It's really strange though why this should happen. it could be based on what the other chords are but if this were true it's not a very logical choice for it to make (minor over altered major!) nor does it alter according to different songs/contexts.

The option in miscellaneous settings - " riff voicing type uses chord tones (or not)" should have helped but didn't.

I just think it would be better if you could configure the chord masks yourself so you'd have more control over where riff patterns occur. The way things are just now you will likely get Dorian riffs playing over mMaj7 or bland unaltered mixolydian riff voicings against complex and tense altered chord like C13susb9#11.

I may try the option to force a transposition according to chord type, but this involves changing each and every chord riff in every style I use. Again a more effective macro would be good to have .

Last edited by alan S.; 07/15/11 06:22 AM.
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Someone said the problem was because I was using ASIO rather than MME for my audio driver - changed to MME, restarted BIAB and tried rendering a song - exactly the same result.

Again with the drivers... How in any way would the piece of software that tells the OS to interact with the sound card have anything to do with the program generating an incorrect chord?

Drivers have NOTHING to do with 95% of the issues posted here. That has become the "go to" answer for everything. By definition, a device driver is a computer program allowing higher-level computer programs to interact with a hardware device. It has nothing whatsoever to do with how a software program executes.

If your chord is not being generated correctly, there is a bug in the software, not the hardware outputting the sound. The driver for your sound card can not change and F# to an F natural.

Your sound card driver is a drinking straw that puts out what is put in. You can't put coffee in and get milk out.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
eddie1261 #120877 07/15/11 08:46 PM
Veteran
Veteran
I bet there are more subs than Bsus/C for Cmaj7b5 that would be great on a sticky. Kind of a theory on a stick for the musically challenged like myself . I know about the sub feature but if in contained a little more knowledge of chord structure and scale modes that would help . If you don't C# you'll Bb !

Tommyc #120878 07/16/11 05:21 AM
alan S. Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
I was thinking along these lines myself, sort of an 'inversion reference chart'. I might have a go at it when i have time.
Other CMaj7b5 subs would be F#7susb5/C, and maybe Em9/C. you have to be careful to listen to the playback though. These chords could end up being embellished by the program in ways which have nothing to do with your intended use of them as inversions of Cmaj7b5. So if you're doing these workarounds It's best to set piano embellishments to zero in the style editor

re the drivers issue. I'm not sure if the poster understood my question or else posted his problem in the wrong thread.

Best regards

Alan

Last edited by alan S.; 07/16/11 05:29 AM.
alan S. #120879 07/17/11 10:37 AM
Veteran
Veteran
I have found a sub to remove the maj3 on an E7aug9 (probably spelled wrong I'm no-school not old-school) G6/E , but it won't work in endings . Even the bass refuses to play the E and plays G. Maybe be just another quirk ! I don't how drivers ended up in a chord problem thread ,still better than notespam ! lol

Tommyc #120880 07/18/11 06:05 AM
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
That sub doesn't remove the third, it does change it from Major third to minor third, though. And the dom7 would also be missing in action.

--Mac

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,612
Posts735,087
Members38,515
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01, Juan Jose, BroDon
38,515 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185