Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#121342 07/15/11 01:58 PM
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
This song began life several years ago as a midi file. RTs were just coming out and Russ DeMussell of the Forum offered to add some RTs to the mix at the time. He did a good job and even did his own version. In the last year I decided to change the intro, drop some of the midi voices and add some RTs because I had been fully indoctrinated. Thanks to Mario DeLaura of the Forum for hearing the glitches and helping me balance what my ears couldn’t catch in the new mix.

I think this mix works, but I want to know if any of you listeners think that something isn’t right. Hope you enjoy.

RTs
Banjo RT623
Strumming Bluegrass RT598
Fingerpicking Guitar RT522
Fiddle Soloist RT596
Pedal Steel RT603
MIDI – XG Voices - Kick, Fretless Bass and Picked Bass Blend and Piano Bright Acoustic

Tiger On The Run

Copr Words&Music – Ian Fraser

When she told him that she was leaving in the morning
His eyes lit up like a new day dawning
25 years he'd been living on a prison rock pile.
He couldn't hold back the enthusiasm
His body shook with a giggling spasm
He went for a walk and didn't come back 'til dawn
And she was gone.

The first thing he did was open all the windows,
Aired the house good to get rid of her perfume,
Went to the closet and threw out all that she'd left.
Then away with the sheets of pretty flowers
Bought satin ones made especially for lovers
Traded in the CDs and the good ole stereo
For an i-pod to go.

Now he's a tiger on the run chasing his tail in the mountains,
He's a rabbit on the loose fertilizing and a thumping,
He's an old tom cat with a 25 year yearn
He's a fire that's just starting to burn.

He's living now way down in Alabama
Pickin' and grinnin' singing "Oh! Susanna"
Living a life that suits him to a T,
He only ever wanted to play that country music
Work on his truck and worship on Sunday
But now and then the thoughts come drifting home
Of his time spent alone.

Now he's a tiger on the run chasing his tail in the mountains,
He's a rabbit on the loose fertilizing and a thumping,
He's an old tom cat with a 25-year yearn
He's a fire that's just starting to burn.
Tiger on the run, he's tiger on the run,
Tiger on the run, he's a tiger on the run.

Cheers - Ian

Ian
My "Original Tunes" Site
My gene pool needs more chlorine.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
You know I like this one! The lyrics are top notch IMHO.

A winner for sure!

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
User Showcase
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Nice work. Excellent production. Thanks for sharing!

My Tunes

Psalm 57:7 My heart, O God, is steadfast, my heart is steadfast; I will sing and make music.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Ian,

I just realized that I haven't yet comment on this song. I thought I had because I listened to the music a little while back. Old age, I guess!

There's an awful lot to like about this song You're lyrics won me! I was captivated by your fresh and vivid imagery. Very very inventive lines in here. You're a fine wordsmith! My one suggestion would be to see if changing "starting" in the last line of the chorus to "wanting" or "waiting" makes the song stronger. The reason I suggest this is because for me, the song went from "yippee I'm free!", in the early verses, to "being free is not all it's cracked up to be", in the final verse. To my mind, "waiting" (or "wanting") can take shades of meaning from "it's about to happen" to "I'm really hoping it's going to happen". In this way, the chorus would serve all three verses and this simple word change might make the song stronger. Then again, it might not! Just a thought It's just that I found myself wondering if "starting" is as versatile in meaning as, say, "waiting" so I'm passing it on for what it's worth.

By the way, I love the twist at the end. Also, the emotion of this song is beautifully supported by 7-line verses (which throw one a little bit of kilter and thus enhance the feeling of "not quite so happy after all"). And then you discreetly use some non-perfect rhymes that further enhance this emotion. In my opinion, this is top notch songwriting! It's a great song, Ian.

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Noel96 #121346 07/21/11 09:33 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Aw the link was not working for me

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Please note at 5 pm EDT, my web page provider is DOWN.
This has been the case since this morning.

Sorry - y'all come back now - hear!

Ian

Ian
My "Original Tunes" Site
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
As of today, Friday July 22 at 4 EDT my ISP's web hosting server is now operating, so the Tiger on the Run link is operative.

So Tommy - give it another try and let me know how you make out.

Robert - thanks for your kind comment - and good luck on the 50/90.

Ian

Ian
My "Original Tunes" Site
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Still not working for me Ian :r(

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Still not working for me Ian :r(

That’s weird. I just checked and it worked for me. I’m using IE8. What are you using?

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Ian,

Very nice work here! You do have a way with words. Like Noel, I thought I had already commented on this song. I didn't realize I was as old as Noel! (Actually, I'm sure I'm probably older.)

As to your link not working, I had a hard time getting it to play in Firefox, so I went to IE, and it played just fine. So Tommy, you might try it in IE.

Keep up the good work, Ian!

Steve

Steve Young
Music
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of." - Robert Schumann
Noel96 #121352 07/25/11 06:23 AM
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hi Noel

You had heard this song two years ago but it needed to be refurbished.

This song went through changes structurally when I decided to cut some time from it to make it more in-line with Nashville structure when I became a member of Taxi. There was initially a chorus after verse 1 which made "starting" more apropos, verse 2 and chorus also had the "yippee I'm free" feel. By verse 3 and chorus 3 (now 2) there's been a big passage in time , but he's caught remembering the "good times" back when he was "yippee I'm free".

Singing-wise, I prefer the way that "starting" can be punched up, spit out and played with vocally. What you say is valid but maybe there needs to be a better tie lyrically between Verse 3 and what is now chorus 2.
I respect your opinion - thanks for passing that on, Noel.

I was surprised that nobody's singled out "giggling spasm" yet. Thank you for the comments about my writing - I find I often push limits trying to say something differently. You do very well.

Cheers - Ian

Ian
My "Original Tunes" Site
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Google Chrome says "missing plugin". Which one do I need?

Guido

Desktop; i7-2600k, 8 GB mem., Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Laptop: i5-2410M, 4 GB mem, Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
GHinCH #121354 07/25/11 11:29 AM
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hi

The file is a wma that starts from an html page - I'm not sure what the add-on name is. I'm not familiar with using Google Chrome - must give it a try.

I would think that with Windows on your computer, that you would have Windows Media Player.

Hope that helps.

Ian

Ian
My "Original Tunes" Site
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Thanks Ian,

I'll try it with Internet Explorer. I just don't like the new version, that's why I use Google Chrome. I'll let you know.

Guido

GHinCH #121356 07/25/11 11:56 AM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Cool song, (It worked with Internet Explorer.) I like it.

Guido

GHinCH #121357 07/25/11 02:42 PM
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Guido - Glad it worked for you. Thanks for taking the time to listen.

Ian

Ian
My "Original Tunes" Site
User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice
Hi Ian,

Song has a great feel, but it seems to get a little lost lyrically because of the Rhyming Scheme - or rather the lack of one.

The first verse seems to establish the Rhyming Scheme as an AABCCDD or thereabouts as you rhyme first and second lines - "Morning" and "Dawning" and fourth and fifth lines - "Enthusiasm" and "Spasm"

Unfortunately, you lose it completely in the second verse where you have "Windows" and "Perfume" and then "Flowers" and "Lovers" on those lines.

By the third verse you have a rhyme back on the first two lines with "Alabama" and "Susanna", and none at all with "Music" and "Sunday"

The DD Rhymes on the last two lines you've held throughout the song.

This, for me, causes the lyric to stagger rather than flow. Ideally,and usually, the first verse of a song should establish the Rhyming Scheme of a song which should then be followed throughout. There are exceptions to this obviously, but it is the norm.

I've taken the liberty of adding a couple of links below which address the subject of Rhyme Schemes for you're perusal should you be interested.

http://www.musiclyricsfyi.com/rhyme-in-lyrics.html

http://www.songwriting-guide.com/rhyme-scheme.html

I'm always loathe to critique a fellow songwriters work, but I just feel this could be really good with a little re write here and there. Only my opinion however so feel free to ignore me.

All the best

Martin

Music is what feelings sound like.
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hi Martin

Thanks for weighing in on this and you make valid points about lyric rhyme - I read the links as well.
I think this whole subject of rhyme would be well-suited for the Off-Topic Forum because there are different ideas on how to construct song lyrics.

My belief has always been that I don't sacrifice my story in an effort to find an exact rhyme.
A good tight, simple rhyme does help your listener remember the lyrics but then again it also
tends to keep song concepts pretty simple . . . or steers you story for the sake of the rhyme.

I use a lot of near-rhymes in the search for story ideas, or holding to story ideas. In fact I have a song that I posted here titled Should You Find Me and is on my webpage, that was mostly blank verse - amazing to me but that's the way the song came out.

Ultimately, lyric construction is what we feel comfortable with individually - mind you we can also get too close to the song, so it never hurts to have a closer look. And you've given me reason to have a second look, and for that I thank you for the input. I think the current lyric structure works here, but probably wouldn't work with another type of song.
http://www.irenejackson.com/rhyme.html
This is a very interesting link about rhyme and near-rhyme - which is very valid.

Cheers and success - Ian

Ian
My "Original Tunes" Site
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I finally got to hear it Ian ,mixing sounds good and I just love your band ! I'm glad you only wrote those "g's" ( cuz the g at the end of words is sighlint )in your lyrics instead of sangin them . Good job Ian !

Tommyc #121361 07/26/11 10:47 AM
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hey Tommy glad you got to listen to the letters that weren't missin'.

Are you delivering me a subtle/not so subtle message that I ought to improve my diction, or drop in a few apostrophes in place of the missing "g"s????

Let's chalk it up to singin'/lack of singin' style.

Cheers Tom
Ian

Ian
My "Original Tunes" Site
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,478
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195