You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#121654 - 07/17/11 03:32 PM [Off-Topic] Notation software
BIABguy Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Hi Folks,

I recently discovered a Youtube video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nKtxQaIw6Q&feature=related)
that has some cool music software.

It shows the guitar fretboard, guitar tab, and music staff notation all on the same screen.
Does anyone know the name of this software and the platform(s) it runs on?
It looks Mac-like, but I'm hoping it's available for the PC too.

TIA

#121655 - 07/17/11 04:01 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Notation software [Re: BIABguy]
bobcflatpicker Offline
Veteran

Loc: WV, USA
I'll re-post your link for you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nKtxQaIw6Q&feature=related

I'm not sure which program that is, but Guitar Pro is very good.

http://www.guitar-pro.com/en/index.php

I have Guitar Pro 4 and 5, but not 6. I haven't found a better TAB/notation program.

#121656 - 07/17/11 04:06 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Notation software [Re: BIABguy]
MusicStudent Offline
Veteran

Loc: Chicago
Quote:

Hi Folks,

It shows the guitar fretboard, guitar tab, and music staff notation all on the same screen.
Does anyone know the name of this software and the platform(s) it runs on?
It looks Mac-like, but I'm hoping it's available for the PC too.

According to Gilles it is a MAC application,

"...I use Logic For guitar neck and score and IShowYou for Screen Capture"

However, +1 for Guitar Pro - it is very powerful.
SoundCloud

#121657 - 07/17/11 04:07 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Notation software [Re: bobcflatpicker]
eddie1261 Online   content
Veteran

Does it print sheet music if you import a MIDI track or a WAV? I have Finale but have not yet spent enough time with it. That's what I am trying to make it do so I don't have to chart horn parts out by hand. Play it in on a keyboard and have it print a chart for me.

#121658 - 07/17/11 05:10 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Notation software [Re: bobcflatpicker]
BIABguy Offline
Journeyman

Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nKtxQaIw6Q&feature=related

I'm not sure which program that is, but Guitar Pro is very good.

http://www.guitar-pro.com/en/index.php

I have Guitar Pro 4 and 5, but not 6. I haven't found a better TAB/notation program.

Thanks for re-posting my link properly!
From what I have seen of Guitar Pro it won't show the guitar fretboard lined up with the tab and music notation as in the link I provided. Maybe it can?

#121659 - 07/17/11 05:13 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Notation software [Re: MusicStudent]
BIABguy Offline
Journeyman

Quote:

According to Gilles it is a MAC application,

"...I use Logic For guitar neck and score and IShowYou for Screen Capture"

However, +1 for Guitar Pro - it is very powerful.

Thanks, it figures it's Logic!
Those guys are so thorough in their programming skills! (are you listening PGMusic? )
Too bad they abandoned the PC.

Maybe it will arrive in BIAB next year?

#121660 - 07/17/11 05:16 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Notation software [Re: bobcflatpicker]
BIABguy Offline
Journeyman

Along the same lines...

Does anyone know of music software that will allow the user to input their own chords onto a guitar
grid (six strings)?

Chords.exe is a bare bones program along these lines, but you can only input one chord per file.
I'd like to input an entire song onto one sheet/file.

So, a series of guitar grids (same page) where you can paint your own chords and name them.

TIA

#121661 - 07/17/11 05:33 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Notation software [Re: eddie1261]
bobcflatpicker Offline
Veteran

Eddie,

I’ve never imported a wave file into Guitar Pro, but I’ve imported a lot of midi from BIAB and it handles those quite well. When importing, you can choose which instruments to import, (I usually only import guitar, bass and drums), and then it creates TAB and std. notation for each instrument on separate channels. You can print any channel you wish.

BIABguy,

I’m not sure what you mean by “lined up”, but it does show a fretboard above the TAB. I turn this feature off, since I don’t find it useful. (Actually, it’s distracting for me.)

You can download a demo if you want to try it.

#121662 - 07/17/11 05:40 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Notation software [Re: BIABguy]
MusicStudent Offline
Veteran

Quote:

Thanks for re-posting my link properly!
From what I have seen of Guitar Pro it won't show the guitar fretboard lined up with the tab and music notation as in the link I provided. Maybe it can?

I have GP v6 running and it does show Guitar neck, Tab and Notations all three on the same screen. And you can enter any of the three to compose.
SoundCloud

#121663 - 07/17/11 05:42 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Notation software [Re: BIABguy]
MusicStudent Offline
Veteran

Quote:

Along the same lines...

Does anyone know of music software that will allow the user to input their own chords onto a guitar
grid (six strings)?

GP v6 will do this.
SoundCloud

#121664 - 07/17/11 07:11 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Notation software [Re: MusicStudent]
BIABguy Offline
Journeyman

Quote:

I have GP v6 running and it does show Guitar neck, Tab and Notations all three on the same screen. And you can enter any of the three to compose....

GP v6 will do this.

Thanks very much, I guess I will have to check out the demo now!

#121665 - 07/17/11 09:57 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Notation software [Re: eddie1261]
multitracker Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Hibbing, MN
Quote:

Does it print sheet music if you import a MIDI track or a WAV? I have Finale but have not yet spent enough time with it. That's what I am trying to make it do so I don't have to chart horn parts out by hand. Play it in on a keyboard and have it print a chart for me.

Eddie,

I've played in a horn band for the last couple of years (covers of Tower of Power, Chicago, etc), and have been able to use Realband to create some charts for the various horn players. I started by charting out the basic chord structure of the song and had RB create some basic background tracks. Once I got a useable background generated for the song, I played the individual horn parts into RB tracks with a midi keyboard. With some minor editing of the resulting tracks, and tweaking the printout paramaters, I was able to get decent results. I would then print the charts (individual tracks) one at a time. Works quite well. Main test was passed when the horn players indicated they were happy with the resulting charts.

Terry

#121666 - 07/17/11 11:47 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Notation software [Re: multitracker]
eddie1261 Online   content
Veteran

Okay so it is possible with Real Band. Cool. The charting I need to do is for some old stuff that none of these guys have heard, much less played. Not nearly as complicated as Mr Toad's Wild Ride (with that INSANE tenor solo by Brandon Fields)...... Buckinghams, Grass Roots, Rascals.... these young whippersnappers!!! Missed the whole white soul era!

Now your next step is to move to Cleveland and play in MY horn band.....

#121667 - 07/18/11 09:35 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Notation software [Re: eddie1261]
flatfoot Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sacramento CA
>>>...It shows the guitar fretboard, guitar tab, and music staff notation all on the same screen...>>>

BiaB can do all this, and more. There are a few unique tricks in the BiaB notation arsenal. It will do things no other notation program does.

Got some tunes on You Tube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/flatfoot50
My BiaB lesson site:
http://jdwolfe0.wixsite.com/learnbiab

#121668 - 07/18/11 01:38 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Notation software [Re: flatfoot]
jazzmammal Offline
Veteran

Loc: Redondo Beach, Ca.
Yeah, it's not just Real Band Eddie, Biab does it to.

Bob

#121669 - 07/18/11 05:39 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Notation software [Re: eddie1261]
multitracker Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Hibbing, MN
Quote:

Okay so it is possible with Real Band. Cool. The charting I need to do is for some old stuff that none of these guys have heard, much less played. Not nearly as complicated as Mr Toad's Wild Ride (with that INSANE tenor solo by Brandon Fields)...... Buckinghams, Grass Roots, Rascals.... these young whippersnappers!!! Missed the whole white soul era!

Now your next step is to move to Cleveland and play in MY horn band.....

Buckinghams, Grass Roots, Rascals, now that is some cool stuff. But I think you said you already had a keyboard player ....

Good luck with it, there's nothin' more fun than playing in a band like that, especially if you have some outstanding players. Sadly, our horn band broke up. Hard to hold a band together that big. Two or three guys end up doing all the heavy lifting.

Terry

#121670 - 07/20/11 12:31 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Notation software [Re: flatfoot]
BIABguy Offline
Journeyman

Quote:

>>>...It shows the guitar fretboard, guitar tab, and music staff notation all on the same screen...>>>

BiaB can do all this, and more. There are a few unique tricks in the BiaB notation arsenal. It will do things no other notation program does.

I sure hope I'm wrong, but after playing around with the fretboard/staff notation/Tab it appears that BIAB cannot do what Logic does.

To start, the Youtube video is playing audio taken from an early 1960's recording.
The person has then input the chords onto the fretboard so that when the audio chord changes the fretboard shows the exact chord being played.

The 1960's audio and the fretboard are in PERFECT sync.
Melody notes are also thrown in as well.

The staff notation and tab are perfect too.

How the heck do you accomplish this with BIAB?
TIA

#121671 - 07/20/11 02:09 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Notation software [Re: BIABguy]
bobcflatpicker Offline
Veteran

Quote:

In short, you can't. BIAB isn't notation/TAB software and it can't do what even the most basic level notation program can do.

But on the other hand, those programs can't even begin to do what BIAB can. But the two can work hand in hand.

Two totally different animals though.

Edited by bobcflatpicker (07/20/11 02:18 AM)

#121672 - 07/20/11 02:55 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Notation software [Re: BIABguy]
bobcflatpicker Offline
Veteran

As a side note, you'll see that PG actually sells Finale. I don't have it, but I understand it's "primo" notation software.

PG doesn't market itself as a notation/TAB program, and it's definitely not, so I'm not sure why flatfoot said what he did.

http://www.pgmusic.com/finale.win.htm

Edited by bobcflatpicker (07/20/11 07:40 AM)

#121673 - 07/20/11 02:10 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Notation software [Re: bobcflatpicker]
BIABguy Offline
Journeyman

Quote:

Quote:

In short, you can't. BIAB isn't notation/TAB software and it can't do what even the most basic level notation program can do.

Thanks, that's what I thought.
I don't know why Flatfoot said you could.
Because of his affirmation, I spent over an hour last night trying to make it work with no success.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

PG Music News
Video - Audio Driver Setup Tutorial for Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows

Watch this video for a quick tutorial on setting up your audio drivers in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows! Video link: http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=t0_CHbjWrLA

Video - Band-in-a-Box®: Count-in & Metronome Tutorial

Our latest video release is our Band-in-a-Box®: Count-in & Metronome Tutorial! By default, Band-in-a-Box® has a two bar count-in. Watch this tutorial for a quick explanation of all the options available within this feature! Click here to watch...

#TipTuesday - Adding Motion and Dynamics to your String Tracks

Join our forum, and you'll be surrounded by some AMAZING Band-in-a-Box users! Like DeaconBlues09, who recenty shared their own "Tip" to our Tips & Tricks forum - check it out! Post: Adding motion and dynamics to your string tracks

Thanks for sharing, DeaconBlues09!

Band-in-a-Box 2018® pour Mac - French Release!

Nous avons été très occupés à travailler sur Band-in-a-Box® durant l'année 2017, celà s'est traduit par la création de plus de 50 nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que l'apport d'une incroyable collection de nouveaux contenus, à savoir: des RealTracks, des SuperTracks MIDI, des Études d'Instruments, des Boucles, des Prestations d'Artistes, des Préréglages Amplitube et styles associés, des RealTracks dans les 12 tonalités et une Notation Guitare Hi-Q!

http://www.bandinabox.com/bb.php?os=mac&lang=fr

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 für Mac - German release!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung von neuen Inhalten, mit RealTracks, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studien, Loops (Schleifen), Künstler Performances, Amplitube Presets und dazugehörenden Styles, 12-Tonarten RealTracks und Hi-Q Gitarren Notation, hinzugefügt!

www.bandinabox.com/bb.new.php?os=mac&lang=de

Video - Activating Band-in-a-Box® for Mac®

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac® comes with your own unique activation code that you must add to the program within 30 days. Not sure how? Watch this quick video: http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=RI1rK19uXIs

Write a Song with Xtra Styles PAK 5 for a Chance to WIN!

You could WIN $150 PG Bucks when you enter our Xtra Styles PAK 5 Song Contest!

All you need to do is add Xtra Styles PAK 5 to your Band-in-a-Box® 2018 library (on sale for just $29 until August 31st!), write a song using one if the 160+ professionally mixed styles included, and submit it to our Xtra Styles Contest! Songs submissions are accepted until September 30th - with the 4 winners being announced in early October!

Click here for complete contest rules and information.

Learn more about Xtra Styles PAKs: Windows | Mac

Forum Stats
27835 Members
51 Forums
53024 Topics
440125 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
HCM, iyana, mfandrich, Lefaff, alleas23

27835 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Al-David 152