Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
>>> NOWHERE on that page did I find a place where I could type in the simple keyword "bossa".

Correct. There isn't a filter to type a word and restrict the styles displayed to the searched word. Yes, that would be a good feature, and yes, some other windows in BB have it, but NO, the stylepicker doesn't have it, and we're very sorry about that. Adding a filter is something we plan to add.

What the stylepicker does have to find bossas is this:
- click on the "Latin" category. You now see a list of latin styles, and most of them are bossas up top. Press the search button, and type bossa if you want to find one, and it will jump to the next one in the list.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Veteran
Veteran
I agree with some of this because we're drowning in a sea of riches. You want to see styles? Check out Norton Music's site. He's got styles, tons and tons of styles, enough styles to drown us all 15 times over.

As to naming them, I really don't know any better way to do it guys. When you have thousands of styles how many changes can you make in a short descriptive string of characters to describe the thing? I don't have the answer to that one.

It's logical to use the language of the genre. When we open our printer properties we always see the print cue and landscape and portrait. If you've never seen that before you can very well ask yourself what the heck is a print cue or portrait and why can't they speak plain English? Well, if you're talking printers you use the language of print shop operators and for the last 100 years they've used the term "landscape" so when software developers created a software emulation of a printing press what other term would you suggest they use other than "landscape"? That's the industry standard name for it and that's it. Same thing here with music production software. We use terms like faders, effects inserts, side chaining, condenser mic, DB, compressor/limiter, freq analysis etc, because those are the terms used in recording studios. If you don't understand those terms yet you've bought yourself some recording software then I guess it's time to go to school, isn't it? It makes no sense to ask the software developers to suddenly change all that industry standard terminology.

If we're looking for a guitar picking country style and see one called "Chet" and don't know who Chet Atkins was that's our problem isn't it? What else is PG going to call it if it emulates his style of picking? Perhaps we would prefer calling it "The greatest country picker who ever lived" style? I mean if you're looking at a country music style and can't figure out who George is likely to be then Google it. I'm a jazzer and I'm still pretty sure that's George Strait but it could be George Jones I guess and as a jazzer I'm also in awe of how great a player Chet Atkins was. I didn't have a clue who Brent Mason was either until Peter announced his new Real Tracks and half the members of this forum went nuts over them. I put my finger to my temple and went "duh, this guy must be Somebody" and checked him out. Those RT's are indeed killer and I learned something new. What a concept.

I think we all have figured out by now that unless PG has obtained permission from those artists to use their full names then they can't use their full names for legal reasons, right? Think about that for a minute and now how would you describe the styles?

Just keep working with the program, find your own way around it and put your suggestions in the wishlist.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Expert
Expert
Quote:

NOWHERE on that page did I find a place where I could type in the simple keyword "bossa".

+1 for being able to type "waltz", "bossa" or "7/4" and restricting the listed styles to just those styles. It just makes sense.

Other than that, I can usually get "close enough" to the sound I want within 30 minutes or so. Even if it is just the bass and drums. Then I can add my own instruments or search for RT's that work.

Would also be nice to add a midi "piano" part to a style that doesn't have one, without going through the "build a style" routine. I have not been too successful in that area. (but I understand midi parts are tied to styles, so I know that could be complicated).

Great program, in my opinion -- no matter the shortcomings.

Kevin

P.S. Even though BIAB can be used as a compositional tool, the ability to bend BIAB completely to your will is tough if you are alt country and things like that. It can be done, but I think it takes a lot of experience. So I only expect BIAB to take me "most" of the way there (or at least 1/2 way).

Last edited by Kemmrich; 07/21/11 03:57 AM.

Now at bandcamp: Crows Say Vee-Eh @ bandcamp or soundcloud: Kevin @ soundcloud
Veteran
Veteran
Hi, Eddie -

I was going to suggest to you a workaround, but I believe I found a possible bug in the process. I was going to suggest that you click on filter to filter down the results as much as you need (which will give you a workable subset to use) and then go back to the main StylePicker screen and use the search function. Search allows you to specify the words to look for (and although not intuitive, the "G" button next to the Search button is for "search aGain" to find the next item that meets your criteria. However,....

When you click on Search, the screen goes back to displaying all styles, not the filtered list you created (even though the Filter button still says that the filter is on). If you click on the Filter button, you will find that all the filters have been reset to null.

It seems to me that after I filter the list, I should be able to use the search button limited to the filtered list that is displayed, not the complete list of all styles (unless of course I am currently unfiltered and am seeing all the styles).

I hope that made sense.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
T
Journeyman
Journeyman
T

Quote:

Correct. There isn't a filter to type a word and restrict the styles displayed to the searched word. Yes, that would be a good feature, and yes, some other windows in BB have it, but NO, the stylepicker doesn't have it, and we're very sorry about that. Adding a filter is something we plan to add.

It's great to see your response Peter, I look forward to having an improved filter feature. When you implement it there needs to be some way of incorporating all third party styles into the filter not just those issued by PG, even if we have to flag them ourselves when we put them into the style folder.

Quote:

What the stylepicker does have to find bossas is this:
- click on the "Latin" category. You now see a list of latin styles, and most of them are bossas up top. Press the search button, and type bossa if you want to find one, and it will jump to the next one in the list.

This current method of filtering has a problem because once you exhaust all the bossa styles in the latin category, it starts to highlight any style with the word "bossa" anywhere in the stylepicker window and some of the styles highlighted are not really bossa. Any new filtering system should only find genuine bossa styles, not those that happen to have the word bossa somewhere in the description.

Thanks
Tony

T
Journeyman
Journeyman
T
now why didnt we all think of that..sorry Peter I did and its as easy as you can get.

AMD Athlon 7550 dual core
processor 2.51 ghz
1 87 gb ram
windows 7 Ultimate
yamaha rev 500 effects
tacam DP-24 DAW
Samson Resolv NF monitors
Yamaha PSR-620 Keyboard
Fender semi accoustic guitar
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

I was going to suggest that you click on filter to filter down the results as much as you need (which will give you a workable subset to use) and then go back to the main StylePicker screen and use the search function.

That's the thing, John. Click filter and then click what on the EIGHT options in the filter box? There is too much "local knowledge" needed. The first thing is 1/8th or 1/16th. So what do I choose there? And why? There are 8th and 16th in EVERY song and style.

Once again, I love this software. It does what it does well. I am not anti BIAB. I own it, I use it, I love what it does.

But simple features need to be simple. Intuitive searching is a simple, basic feature when you reach a point where there are literally thousands of styles to pick from. Peter did address this in an earlier reply and I hope they work on this soon. Every time I go upstairs to my studio, I spend 2 hours making music and 3 hours trying to figure out some nuance of BIAB to use in that 2 hours I am creating.

ctl+f - search box - enter search string - enter - find it. Simple. That's how search works.

But again, kudos to Peter. He responded and said they will look to add a simple search. In the meantime....

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Veteran
Veteran
Eddie,

You have raised a salient point. If BIAB is to be used as a production tool (I am using the term production in the larger sense of an industrial tool, or of an assembly line) then workflow has to be optimized. And you're right; it isn't. The two reasons have been laid out here: the vast amount of data to go through, and the lack of an easy way to do that.

Now, I'm going to say a hard thing. I don't mean to offend, and you've demonstrated that you're a big boy (one whom I have come to respect as I have gotten to know you). So here it is: It's a poor workman who blames his tools.

There is a highly-respected professional, Harvey Gerst, on these forums who uses BIAB to do exactly what you are trying to, and in the production environment of a working studio. I suggest you get with him to find out how he makes it work, because he does, spectacularly, and on the clock.

So, despite the limitation you cite, what you are trying to do is not only possible, but being done by Harvey and others. Visit the users' showcase for examples. I don't think there is any secret to how they do it. I just don't see a way around investing non-productive time to simply listen and take notes.

I mean "invest" literally, because it produces great returns. I mean "take notes," too. Everyone uses BIAB slightly differently. What we have to do is create our own manual by taking notes on processes and content so that we can easily repeat the things we want to do on a regular basis, and so that we can remember what we liked as we went through Styles and Instruments.

Eddie, you are obviously the equal of almost anyone here. Someone once said that if you don't have a goal, all you see are obstacles, and that if you do, all you see are challenges. You clearly have a goal. I am inviting you to accept the continuing challenge of BIAB. You and BIAB have a great deal to offer. I look forward to seeing the results.

Respectfully,

Richard

Last edited by Ryszard; 07/21/11 10:39 AM.

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."
Veteran
Veteran
He desrves enough respect that we should try to get his name right; Harvey Gerst
itrstudio.com

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks. So amended.

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."
Apprentice
Apprentice
Just an outsider to this conversation about naming of styles. I for one like the way Peter has some of these styles arranged and named. I'm more of a country/gospel singer/player and when I first set up a song that I want an arrangement of to back me up, I look for tempo and peoples name like George, Chet, Berry, etc. I find that it is a great place to start to evidentually come up with a style that will, in the end, be similar to the on I want. By the way, if you click on the memo button after you have selected a style, it will usually tell you that the style is fashion after George Jones, Chet Adkins, Chuck Berry, etc. just sayin'. Thanks Peter.

Last edited by David Walker; 07/21/11 11:01 AM.
Veteran
Veteran
Jazzmammal/Bob, the naming isn't what gets the hairs on my neck up. It's the inability to quickly search for something fairly specific. Note I said "quickly". I wanted to try and chart Jobim's "Wave" last night. Onbiously I wanted a "bossa" style for the right groove. One hour later, I gave up (Not because of the one hour. It was almost midnight and approaching 90 degrees up there.) And all I wanted to do was find "bossa". If they were all together, okay I would have been able to skim. But they are scattered.

Rysart/Richard, I agree 100%. I am not BLAMING the tools. I am making the observation that I don't know how to use the tools yet as well as someone with years of experience with this program. (I faced similar frustration at the help desk when people would ask how to do simple things. I stifled the urge to say "If you don't know how to do that you probably should have a computer at all." MANY times. I would just like to be able to "change the blade in the circular saw" without reading 6 pages of instruction. (My analogy for the simplified search box.)

I will get it eventually. I am just in a time crunch right now. This CD has to be done and ready to record by fall because three of the players are music teachers. One in junior high, 2 in college. Once school starts, I lose them.

"Wave" was just last night's example. For my last song, I spent (I swear to you) THREE HOURS sampling styles because the names and example songs made no sense. I had to sample almost 200 styles before I found one and that one was just close to what I needed.

But Peter has acknowledged that they will address this and look to add a simpler method of searching.

These forums are SUCH a great opportunity to talk and learn! Love it!!!

2. Send it to us.
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

I am just in a time crunch right now. This CD has to be done and ready to record by fall because three of the players are music teachers. One in junior high, 2 in college. Once school starts, I lose them.

This is the problem and I'm not blaming you, you didn't create the time crunch but you are frustrated because you're trying to use a new tool that you're not familiar with on a project with a very short deadline. That is a recipe for disaster. I totally understand too because I've done it. Or, more to the point, tried to. A few years ago my good friend Eddie Greely who's since died was having health problems and I subbed for him on a solo gig so I put Biab on my laptop and thought I could use the Conductor feature live and do the gig that way. I had only read about that, not actually done it. Well, yes it's possible but not in a week with me still doing my full time job. It wasn't doing what I thought it should and like you I was burning up the paint on my walls with juicy epithets. I was running out of time so I fired up my old rusty, dusty Alesis SR16 drum machine and did the gig that way. That Alesis with just me playing keys sucks compared to what Biab sounds like but I was out time and that's it. A few weeks later I had it all figured out and now I know how to do a live gig using the Conductor but you can't all of sudden put that kind of pressure on yourself with a brand new product you're not intimitely familiar with. I'll say this though it does focus your attention and you can learn a lot quickly as long as you keep away from that ammo box...

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Expert
Expert
FWIW, you still can make a csv-file and import that in a spread sheet or data base. Then you have many options available to search and add colums according to your needs.

While a search option in the dialog might be preferable, this is a workaround that speeds up the search for styles in my case...

Guido

Edit: corrected type sread sheet to spread sheet

Last edited by GHinCH; 07/21/11 02:28 PM.

Desktop; i7-2600k, 8 GB mem., Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Laptop: i5-2410M, 4 GB mem, Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Expert
Expert
Quote:

FWIW, you still can make a csv-file and import that in a spread sheet or data base. Then you have many options available to search and add columns according to your needs.

While a search option in the dialog might be preferable, this is a workaround that speeds up the search for styles in my case...

Guido

Well there ya go. Is there a way to export the style picker database to *.csv with the memo fields and associated demo/location? That way I could write a simple little program to search the styles for "waltz" or "bossa" and play the associated demo right then and there. That would suffice until PG Music incorporates the text search.

Kevin

Now at bandcamp: Crows Say Vee-Eh @ bandcamp or soundcloud: Kevin @ soundcloud
Veteran
Veteran
I hope you plan on passing that this way ..

Expert
Expert
There sure is, in the style picker window you can export to csv. I didn't find a way to filter the export. And you can search for any word in the name. This also goes across all styles. There is the search function and right beside it there is a repeat search function.

Guido

Veteran
Veteran
I will try this too. Once is it in csv you can pull it into Excel and massage the data any way you want, then sort it.

2. Send it to us.
Expert
Expert
I just played around a little: You can search for almost anything in name and memo. The search seems to be limited to 32 characters.

It would be really cool if we could search also for RT372 or M34 to find certain instruments or RealTracks. (Or if these data could be part of the export to csv-files.)

Guido

Veteran
Veteran
This is gonna be cool (in best beavis voice) ... salivating ..
I have *some* csv/database experience, if I can help at all.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,579
Posts734,676
Members38,499
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200