Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
DrDan #124123 08/06/11 09:07 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Dan, who paid for the camp? That's key. My 2 friends who teach junior high (once science and one music) routinely buy everyday room supplies out of pocket because the school board rejects every requisition saying "There's no budget for that". Music and band camp is great, but the parents pay money for it. The 2 concerts per year that band and chorale put on at what, $5 a ticket, is nowhere near the revenue producer that football and basketball (or bassaball as they say it in my neighborhood) is. In this conformist cookie-cutter "make money at all costs" world, the esoteric values have long since been forfeited for that 11-0 football team. That 11-0 football team gets news coverage and attention from the TV media. The band's spring concert does not.

Very sad, but very true. And it stinks, but the downward spiral of this economy, which WILL get much worse and never get better until we become a 3rd world nation, dictates the scope in which we must all think. More Walmarts, more people working in them for minimum wage under deplorable shift scheduling and such.... all while the rich get richer taking advantage of us.

I am REALLY happy that I am close to the finish line. I will be gone before this all explodes. And it will.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Dan, who paid for the camp? That's key.

I'll have to go ask my wife?

Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Quote:

Teachers buying everyday room supplies out of pocket because the school board rejects every requisition saying "There's no budget for that"

Good point that appies to many subjects. When my wife was Teaching High School English, she also taught Drama. Clearly not a big deal now 20 years later.
We had to lay out quite a bit of money, buying supplies. For class and for the plays they put on. Even if they had a production which the school charged admission for, the money never came back to the class. Not a penny.
Money for Supplies were, makeup, props costumes, paint for the sets and even scripts. And this was back in the early 1990s.
She belonged to the local theatre companty and it used the school and they never had to pay the school. The school didn't even get a cut of the door. Yet when the town's Theatre Company came to rehearse, which was days and nights, they bumped school classes that used the Auditorium. It was very unfair.

It's all gone today. They haven't had a play in many years. It's very sad.
Wayne,

Last edited by redguitars; 08/06/11 09:53 AM.
DrDan #124126 08/06/11 10:16 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Quote:

Quote:

Dan, who paid for the camp? That's key.

I'll have to go ask my wife?

Whichever of you paid, I KNOW there was a fee for the kids to attend. Sadly there is nothing free any more. And they defend it with the logic that the school is there for readin', writin' and 'rithmatic and anything extracurricular the parents have to pay for.

Now I know about inflation and all, but the high school I went to (1969 grad) charged tuition (private, catholic, all buys school) and my worst year of the 4 was $220. And my family had a hard time finding it. The school then had 2000 boys in 4 grades.

NOW... the school has merged with the girls school down the road because the schools are consolidating as families have less kids, thus enrollment goes down. The enrollment is around 600 in 4 grades. That drives the price up. And the tuition..... $5000. I did not put in too many zeros. $5000. For HIGH SCHOOL!!!

But parents pay it to keep their kids out of those AWFUL City of Cleveland schools, where rather than fix the broken windows, broken by punks throwing rocks, they close off the rooms and sit the kids with 3 kids in 2 desks. Can't fix the windows. Not in the budget!! The rooms are cleaned every OTHER day. Lunch is no longer hot foods. All cold, packaged stuff. Teachers show up, do the least required, and go home. No cares about truancy. If they don't show, I still get my paycheck.

It makes me both sad and angry the way kids are pushed through schools with those ridiculous "NO child left behind" programs. They are given C and D grades to get them through, and half come out of after 12 years of school unable to read or make change for a buck.

But there is no quick turnaround. You can't suddenly make teachers care about kids who refuse to take the earbuds out of their ears during class.

People need to take off the rose colored glasses and REALLY look at this country. We are 1 generation away from being on economic par with a 3rd world country. Crime is out of control. People have no jobs, yet somehow find money to buy crack. Where does that come from? From robbing the people who DO have jobs? Where are the police? At 75% staff after budget induced layoffs....

Sad. But I'm almost done.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
In the 25 years we've lived in the town, in Upstate, NY, the school has tripled in size. They concentrated on Science and Sports. They had a Science teacher that won more awards and brought in more grant money than the tax money that the town brought in.
The sports teams won many championships.

But they lost their way and the Science was gone. After this teacher who received an award presented to him by the President, had his budget cut in half. He retired and now teaches in a college and makes 10 times what he did here.

The big sports department pushed through a large budget awhile back so they could build an Olympic size swimming pool for competing.
Well it seems someone was taking back handers, because after all was said and done, they got the pool built, and it's huge. But, they can't compete because whoever they hired to build it, built it with the wrong dimensions. So it isn't regulation size.

They had to buy out the Superintendent’s contract to get him to leave.
Why hasn't anyone gone to jail? No one has even been fired. While the rest of the country is laying teachers off like crazy, our teachers are getting raises.
What a country.

Sorry for the rant, but I had to get it out. When we came here, we thought had come to heaven.

Wayne, I’m done,

Off-Topic
rharv Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I have no idea how to fix things when they get as bad as Eddie is describing. Schools in my area are not like that.
Michigan has a millage plan. Taxes are based on a 'State Equalized Value' of your home (roughly half the estimated sale price) times a set number from the state. Then each school disctrict or city can vote for additional millage (that's right we vote to raise taxes for local projects and school programs). In the Port Huron and Marysville area it is not uncommon for us to vote to improve the school, build a new school, and yes, even a new sports field. We take the initiative. Port Huron added new auditoriums/theaters to the two high schools within the last few years. Nice ones; 32 channel mixers (with nice full racks) in a sound booth high above and behind the seating, nice speakers (Tannoy) spread around the room, mics built into the (large) stage ..
Marysville students started this last school year in a brand new high school. I haven't seen how nice the auditorium is there yet, but it's brand new.
I know not everywhere is this fortunate.

Maybe every state should work that way so people can have the level of schools for their kids that they want. And not be stuck paying for the poor types of schooling being described by some here.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
rharv #124129 08/06/11 10:57 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Here we have a levy on every ballot, and they fail every time. Foreclosure on homes in my city is off the charts (2 just on my street!! Personally I will never vote to increase my real estate taxes for those schools until I see better performance, less truancy, and general improvement. They rebuilt a bunch of grade schools over the last 5 years. One of them that was torn down was 11 years old. My city does things because they can, not because they need to. Meanwhile truancy is over 10% here. Why? Because half of the city is assisted housing, inhabited by parents who grew up in poverty and know nothing better, and when they DO get $25 in their pocket they spend it in crack instead of buying their kids clothes to go to school. These parents live on the thought that THEY are doing okay without knowing how to read. "The gub'ment is giving me a house and food for free. Why should I care?" And the city just stays away from those neighborhoods, pretends they don't exist, and has socials and luncheons for the school board for doing such a great job.

My area stinks. Again, I am glad to be near the end of the ride.

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
I was of Band Camp (well, in my case it was really Orchestra Camp...) back in the late fifties thru early sixties - and it was not free then either. My parents paid. But there were also a few scholarships made available presumably through the donations of private citizens or foundations, in which a deserving young virtuoso could take advantage.

--Mac

Mac #124131 08/06/11 11:59 AM
Off-Topic
rharv Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Same here, and it helped amd it was appreciated!

rharv #124132 08/06/11 12:55 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I'm gonna take the other side of this argument for the sake of discussion.

The benefits attributed to a good musical education can also be derived from other things:

Martial arts build strength, discipline and coordination...

Religion builds character, compassion, awareness of fellow man...

Scouting builds a sense of self reliance, discipline and a skill set that branches in a hundred directions...

the list could go on, but the point is that many desirable things are learned OUTSIDE school. As Mac said, it is first and foremost the role of family to notice, develop and support the talents of the kids. To blame lack of opportunity on society is a cop-out

Furthermore, One argument that is made when kids complain about the necessity of various classes is that the school experience is meant more as an EXPOSURE to the topic, and more comprehensive understanding can be pursued later. Culturally, we are already OVER-exposed to music. There's little chance that any kid will grow to adulthood and lament that he was under-stimulated musically.

But I OFTEN hear young adults lamenting that they never got prepared for real life by their school curriculum, and that they entered adulthood without a practical knowledge of real career options.

Instead, almost every young kid I meet believes he is destined to be a world-reknowned musician. Read the Craig's list musician ads... they really think they are on the way to stardom.

Many of these kids will eventually get a job in fast food and won't know enough about math to make change if the computer goes down. Don't ask how I know this.

Off-Topic
rharv Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
The kid who can't make change was not a music student. He may have been 'musically stimulated' as you put it, but if he took music classes he can count (and subdivide) while playing an instrument at the same time.

The only example I see comparable (to me) above may be scouting, as it does involve a wide range of discipline, but I do not know of any peer reviewed studies showing it increases ones learning. With music there are many.

Quick refernce, but you can Google many -
http://www.ptcmusic.org/The_Stage_Academy_of_Music/The_Benefits_of_Music.html

Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Good points, Pat, but the thing we need to focus on is this. I know about sports building the sense of teamwork. I played football and baseball. One short season of hockey until that unfortunate incident with the stick... But I digress.

The issue is the opportunity to BE exposed to these extra curricular activities. Had there been no baseball for me, I would not have finished high school. There would have been no reason for me to go there every day because I did not care when the Battle of Hastings was fought (1066) or how much a gallon of water weighs (8.34 pounds). Baseball was my ticket. Until a knee injury. (Catchers can't catch if they can't crouch.) Some kids think their way out is tenor sax.

The point is that the expertise and experience comes outside of school when you apply the P word. I practiced my music as much as my baseball. The discipline to do so comes from inside. Martial arts, another good example. Studied 9 years. Rarely went to classes so it took me 5 years to reach black as I was starting over too often.

Daniel Tosh did a bit about giving the commencement address and how he refused to give the generic speech. "As I look out, I see doctors and lawyers". He gave the real speech. "There are felons here. Some of you will die in a DUI accident TONIGHT." Now of course he played for comedy, but how much truth was there in that comedy?

It's more a matter of the kids having choices than what they do with those choices. Baseball kept me out of jail. Music made me a living. While I have been unemployed, music has literally kept me sane. Between my dog, who could not go on without me as I am her whole life, and music, it is not an exaggeration to say that they possibly kept me alive. I don't know what I might have done without that dog giving me a reason to get up in the morning. Music, art, choral, drama group... the kids need something they are interested in, and with budget cuts taking that away, how many will go to school until the state says they can quit (16 in Ohio) and then become a bum? Probably more than we care to say.

We need arts in the schools.

rharv #124135 08/06/11 02:33 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

The kid who can't make change was not a music student. He may have been 'musically stimulated' as you put it, but if he took music classes he can count (and subdivide) while playing an instrument at the same time.

The only example I see comparable (to me) above may be scouting, as it does involve a wide range of discipline, but I do not know of any peer reviewed studies showing it increases ones learning. With music there are many.

Quick refernce, but you Google many -
http://www.ptcmusic.org/The_Stage_Academy_of_Music/The_Benefits_of_Music.html

you are arguing the power of the pursuit...
I'm arguing whether anything is really lost when the pursuit
is no longer mandated by an organization.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

The point is that the expertise and experience comes outside of school when you apply the P word. I practiced my music as much as my baseball. The discipline to do so comes from inside.

Both of my kids were exposed to things in school but never grew passionate about them. My wife and I tried to direct them in various extracurricular pursuits, and as soon as we stopped pushing, they stopped going.

Yet somehow as young adults they have both identified and pursued things that interest them as much as (or maybe more than) music interests me. Most of them are things I would never have thought to suggest or promote... but they intuitively knew what they want.

My point is that passion has to be identified by the individual, not by the parents or the school system.

Classic literature is full of stories about parents who tried to perpetuate their own dreams through their kids; and in most of those stories, the kid is not happy about it.

Off-Topic
rharv Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I never said every kid should have to take music classes (mandated). Yer moving the goalposts on me .. I feel that, due to the demonstrable benefits it should be available if possible.
Truth is, there are serious cuts coming to everything in the near future. Hard choices will be made on where cuts are placed. If you have something that improves the learning ability and general well-being of students, there should be serious thought before cutting.

Comparing music class to school sports isn't a fair comparison either. Band members must rent or purchase their students' instruments. How many schools require the football team to purchase their own equipment? The basketball team parents supply the balls? Answer is 'None' as far as my experiences go (yeah I played some sports). Normally IF a school has a marching band those uniforms were purchased by parents doing a 'Band Booster' event or such and raising money. Much more of the actual public's money goes toward sports than music. I doubt the real return is close to being the same, except for the "I used to be able to throw a football a quarter mile" aspect. <grin>

Also, for every Craigslist soon-to-be-music-star, there are more than a couple soon to be pro ball players out there. Quite a few of them carry that facade into college and waste their secondary education too. Not quite as many college music students riding their way thru without learning. Again, just another side of the coin.
Fun discussion.

rharv #124138 08/06/11 04:07 PM
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
rharv,

Both school systems that my kids have been in have pay-to-play policies in effect for sports AND band and any other extracurricular activity - which cover a good deal of the equipment on the sports side, but not on the band side. Fortunately, my senior is a tuba player and the school needs them so bad that the school provides the instrument during the year.

Football, different story. Same fee - but basically all he got was a 'crummy t-shirt'.

I come from a long line of public school teachers - I was the first to break the chain, becoming an engineer instead. When my dad was threatened with a lawsuit for grabbing a kid - after the kid yanked a handful of my dad's hair of my dad's head - I knew that teaching wasn't for me. I teach adults quite often, but sorry on the public school teacher front - not going there. Not enough pay for so much grief.

Unfortunately, I think my opinion is rather consistent with those that have made the same decision. I say 'unfortunately' because the quality of education is only as good as the quality of folks that choose to enter the field; big list of inspiring teacher movies notwithstanding.

Off-Topic
rharv Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

the quality of education is only as good as the quality of folks that choose to enter the field; big list of inspiring teacher movies notwithstanding.

Can't argue with that, and I understand your choice. I once considered teaching. Chose otherwise. I have a brother that does it though. Teaches music at one of them there universadees.

Last edited by rharv; 08/06/11 04:42 PM.

rharv #124140 08/06/11 05:25 PM
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Listen to Billy Taylor or Ella Fitzgerald....great real-world education for whomever!

Great Education in Music was derived in the Army...and, I got paid for my efforts in the 7th Army Band/Europe, along with Elvis and Eddie Harris, etc., etc.

Yamaha...Motif ES-8, Motif Rack, CS6X
Korg...Karma,Triton Classic, PA-80, M-1+
AkaiSampler-S5000, Roland.. X5080 Rack/G-1000 Arranger
Various Guitars/Basses Amps Pedals Rec.Equip.

Plus, BIAB 2015 and Sonar Platinum 2015 Upgrade from Cakewalk's Sonar X-3
rharv #124141 08/06/11 05:29 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
I went to high school in the 60s and for band, kids had to buy their own mouthpiece for sanitary reasons but the school provided trumpets and saxes. The world wasn't so PC then and so concerned that even with his own mouthpiece little Johnny might get AIDS from a germ walking backwards up the body of the horn after the previous student played it.

I miss the 60s. Before Yuppies, before these over protective, permissive parents, before Wii and Play Station.... before parents who protest and picket schools over free lunch programs and then drop McDonald's food off for them every day in their Hummer. When I was married to the last one we lived in a VERY Yuppie area and every night I had to come home and wash the wimp off me. Little Cameron and Schuyler with their juice boxes... I get sick thinking about this generation of worthless little wimps we are raising. Signing a document when your kid goes into little league that you will only call out positive, encouraging things... I prefer Bobby Knight to coach my kid. He will leave the school tough, not a doughy little wuss.

I grew up on the streets of inner city Cleveland, and I wouldn't trade it for all the Orange County in the world! We played tackle football with no equipment. Fast pitch baseball, not softball and soft toss with coaches pitching.... we didn't wear armor to ride a frickin' bicycle. Now.... oh man, I am off and running again.

I have to ask this question so I have a sense of perspective about the other major contributors to this discussion. How many of you were at all privileged growing up and how many went to the School of Hard Knocks where you were taught by Professor Street Smart? We had NOTHING. When I went into little league, an uncle who had more than we did ended up buying me a glove and shoes, not my father. In 1964, the Browns (and the city of Cleveland's) only championship, I went to the game as a Christmas gift from that same uncle. My father, bless his soul and rest in peace, did all he could and he did well by us as far as his means could take him, but that little bit of money that they spent on my weekly music lessons came from a sponsor, not him. And to those who I have inadvertently crossed here with my hard edged attitude, that's where it came from. I fought three times a week on my way home from grade school because someone would try to steal my baseball glove. Google Hough Riots and read the Wiki article. That's where I lived. Being a white kid living near that area was rough.

Anyway, back to topic, yes, schools are pricing themselves out of the game. I hate to think that somewhere in inner city Chicago, or Detroit, or DC the next Charlie Parker will never get the chance to play because his alcoholic, drug addicted mother and incarcerated father can't rent him a horn. Schools are that badly funded, and big corporations don't pay taxes. What's wrong with this picture?

It is indeed a different time. And as I have said often, I am glad I am close to the final curtain.

Thank you for listening.

GDaddy #124142 08/06/11 05:35 PM
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,401
Posts732,558
Members38,443
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199