Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Apologies for all of te fat finger mistakes in my previous post. Typing on a nook color in the dark while trying to keep from squishingnthengnat that is attracted to the backlit screen!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Rob,
It's all about sounds. It always has been, and always will be. Where the sounds are don't matter. If they're outside of your computer, you need to get them into your computer, if they're in the computer, you need to get them out to your speakers.

You need a way to control those sounds. If the sounds are outside of your computer, you may 'control' them by playing a guitar or your piano. If they're inside the computer already, you may need to use something like a keyboard controller, or software like Band In A Box, or Real Band.

So, let's break this down. You've got a song you want to record. Let's say we're going to do a jazz standard as a quartet. We want drums, bass, guitar and piano. We'll use Band In A Box to generate the drums, bass and guitar parts. You've been here long enough to know how BIAB works, and I will assume that you can and have figured out the Real Tracks and Real Drums to make a backing track the way you want it. So, once you get those three tracks exactly the way you want them, you drag and drop them into Real Band. Now, we want to use your Yamaha piano to do your part.

On your song 'Bassics' it does not sound at all like a real piano, so you probably used a soft synth, like Scott was talking about. But, not all soft synths are the same, some sound much better than another, primarily because of the time the engineer put into recording the actual instrument, and how big the sample data is. The sax is also a soft synth and it's easy to tell that.

Let's say that you want to redo this song. You want to use a real piano. We have to find a way to get the piano into the computer. For that, you will need an audio interface, but you'll need a little bit more than that, too. I'm assuming your piano is a true acoustical instrument, and not a digital piano, because if it was a digital piano, that would make things so much easier. With your piano, you'll need at least one, maybe two microphones, if you want a stereo sound. Micing a piano is not even something I'm going to get into here. In addition to the microphones, you'll need a mic pre amp for each one. Mixers are a great place to find mic pre amps! So, get a small 12 channel mixer. The Behringer ones aren't too bad, I still use mine. Now, the output of the mixer will end up going to the input of audio interface. This could be the RealTek sound card in your computer (please don't) or something like the M-Audio 2496, or something really expensive. The 2496 will work just fine, thank you. Next, you'll need something to hear the OUTPUT of the sound card, which usually means a set of monitors. Now, remember, we've dragged the Real Tracks and Real Drums from BIAB over to Real Band, so we have all that great audio already there. There's no need to re-record it. Now all we need to do is get the piano into Real Band. Depending on how your mixer works, you may be able to route the outgoing signal from your audio interface to your headphones without sending it back into the mix, something we don't want to do. In your headphones, you'll hear the tracks already in Real Band, and again, depending on the routing options, you should also be able to hear the piano you're playing at the same time. But, only the piano will get recorded.

So, you'll have one track of audio for the drums, provided by BIAB, another for the bass, another for the guitar, again by BIAB. You can also put in a sax track, too, provided by BIAB. Arm a track for recording, press Record, and the mic'd piano will be recorded to that one track.

When you're finished, turn on the monitors, and play back the entire song, and each instrument should be on it's own track and therefore controllable individually.

Soft Synths

Soft Synths come in a couple of varieties, DXi, VSTi, AUs and RTS (for Pro Tools) Primarily, we'll deal with DXi and VSTi. VSTis are the defacto standard for non-Pro Tools applications. The last time I played with Real Band, it did not do well with them, but I haven't used it in a while, so maybe the later versions have tightened up VSTi integration. The sounds of the DXis and VSTis are stored in your computer, just like the Coyote Forte and Roland VSC, or Roland TTS-1. Some of them actually will generate the sounds on the fly. A good software synth is very difficult to tell from a real instrument. Go to http://www.garritan.com/ and look for the Personal Orchestra 4 link on the right side of the page, and listen to 'Rhapsody in Blue.' This is what a software synth *can* sound like, although it takes some real work.
Unlike something like the Forte, the VSC, or the TTS-1, which are 'multi-timbral' synths, meaning that you can play 16 channels on them at one time, most software synths are single channel instruments. This means that you have to have multiple instances of the synth running for each channel or track you want to use. Since BIAB has not, to my knowledge, supported multiple software synths or MIDI interfaces, you are stuck using a multi-timbral synth. Most times the sound quality falters because of that. But, provided you have the computer horsepower, memory and hard drive space, that isn't really too much of an issue today.
So, let's go back to Bassics and say you want to add a B3 track to it, complete with bass and both manuals. You want a REALLY good B-3 emulation, and since you want to play all three parts, only the guitar and drums from BIAB are going to be playing. You're not going to edit the B3 Real Tracks, so you need an organ synth. You might be able to find a really good soft synth for free, or you might purchase one from a company, like Native Instruments. You can download, for Free, their Kontact 5 sample player, and then for like $120, you can purchase the Vintage Organs sample library. You can even alter the sound in real time just by playing with the drawbars! You will need a keyboard controller to play this, of course.

However, all soft synth sounds will still come out of your audio interface card to your monitor speakers. The nice thing is that in Real Band, you can 'render' them, which means you can create the audio track for them (because they're still MIDI) just by pushing a button, and they will automatically take the MIDI data you've recorded and then by using the computer processor, turn it into audio data. This is one of the biggest reasons why soft synths are so popular. I have ONE keyboard. It cost me $2,800. I could purchase a controller keyboard an a LOT of software synths for that price, but my keyboard gives me features that a soft synth won't, like being an Arranger keyboard. Yes, I can program all my songs into BIAB, but for those times I just want to sit down and play, nothing beats an Arranger keyboard. Plus, I have some very nice sounds on it.

So, with your piano, you could purchase the following to get into really recording good sounds. I assume you already have the latest version of Band In A Box with all Real Drums and Real Tracks.

A mixer, a Behringer UB802. I've had one of these for years, and I still use it:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/behringer-eurorack-ub802-mixer/631238000000000

I couldn't find a 'two set' combo pack, but you can get three mics for $130. They have stands and cables, and you'll only be using two at a time, so you'll have a back up.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/akg-d-9000-with-cable-and-stand-3-pack/486188000000000

Finally, you need something to listen to your mixes with. I have two of the Generation 1 Rokit RP5s, and I just love them. They are priced at 'each', so $300
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio...o-monitor-each.

Of course, you'll need the Audio Interface, and there's nothing better in the price range than the M-Audio 2496, IMHO.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio...701341000000000

Lastly, you'll need some sort of MIDI Controller to control your soft synths in real time. Something like Oxygen 61 will give you a keyboard that not only inputs MIDI data, but can also control software synths, like the Vintage Organ drawbars, in real time.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/keyboards-midi/m-audio-oxygen-61--usb-midi-controller

It's a bit of money to lay out all at once, at least for the hardware, but you can get some really great sounds just by switching to Software Synths, recording your acoustic piano, and using Real Drums and Real Tracks.

Hope this doesn't confuse you any.

Gary

I'm blessed watching God do what He does best. I've had a few rough years, and I'm still not back to where I want to be, but I'm on the way and things are looking far better now than what they were!
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Hi Gary. Great Post! Nice to see you're still hanging out here. I've put all of the valuable things you told me about to good use. Thanks heaps!

Stan

Cornet Curmudgeon
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
FYI - real B3 sounds can be had for much less than $120. VB3 is the answer, http://www.genuinesoundware.com/?a=showproduct&b=24

This is like the B4, in that it is a physical emulation of the circuitry of the B3. Listen to the demos.

-Scott

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Stan,
Been a while since I've been here, not sure that I'll be back as much as I used to be, my 'new' hobby takes much of my time and money. If anyone ever tells you shooting .22LRs is cheap and inexpensive, tell them to come talk to me! It IS addictive, though.

I don't remember if we can stick images in these posts, I'm pretty sure we can, I just have to remember how to do it.

If this works, this is a picture of my mom shooting one of my new addictions.

She didn't do too badly, either, for an 80 year old who's never shot aperture sights at 25 yards.

This is where my time is spent instead of in front of my keyboard or computer making music.

Gary

I'm blessed watching God do what He does best. I've had a few rough years, and I'm still not back to where I want to be, but I'm on the way and things are looking far better now than what they were!
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hiya Scott,
It's been a while since I've been looking at Soft Synths, so excuse me for being out of the loop a little bit.

Gary

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
She's grouping well.

25 yards is combat *handgun* range.

Good to start someone out at 25, but as soon as possible, move targets downrange, the rifle should be doing those kind of groups at the 50 or 100yd mark.

Ah, the smell o' cordite in the morning.

Enjoy.

--Mac

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Mac,
Remember, she's 79 years old, she'll be 80 in December. She can barely see the targets.

I did set up some targets at 50 yards, and they weren't nearly as tight, they were all in the 9/10 rings.

With *HER* rifle, however, she'll group dime sized five round groups at 50 yards, and while not all the time, has done silver dollar sixed groups at 100 yards. She was shooting 4" groups at 200 yards the other day, as well. SHe has a 20 power Nikon scope on her CZ Lux.

Mom's been shooting for about 4 years now, my step father is teaching her. She has a Browning Buckmark with a red dot, a Sig Mosquito, her Ruger Single Six (which she absolutely loves) and a Sig P229. She knows how to use all of them.

Gary

Last edited by Gary Curran; 09/10/11 09:49 AM.

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
That's great, Gary.

Just keep on trying to move those targets back every now and again.

--Mac

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Gary - just to admit my ignorance, the Native Instruments B4 is no longer for sale - seems Native Instruments gave up on it a couple years ago and now push samples only. I'm guessing it was too expensive to hire the programmers for the physical modeling synthesis.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Gary - just to admit my ignorance, the Native Instruments B4 is no longer for sale - seems Native Instruments gave up on it a couple years ago and now push samples only. I'm guessing it was too expensive to hire the programmers for the physical modeling synthesis.

Scott,
Quite possible. I thought that it got incorporated into the Vintage Organs collection, and was still real time. Looks more like my ignorance, and not yours.

I never used it anyway, but I do like the link you posted earlier. If I was working in Soft Synths I would definitely be interested in some of the stuff on their page.

Gary

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
AFAIC, the B4II was done and complete. There really wasn't *ANYTHING* to add to that program in order to emulate the tonewheel organs. Never understood why they discontinued it, perhaps the switch to new Windows Operating systems was the real reason, don't know.

As already noted in thie thread, there are now a lot of good options for tonewheel organ/rotating speaker simulators, some are even freeware/shareware now.

--Mac

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

AFAIC, the B4II was done and complete. There really wasn't *ANYTHING* to add to that program in order to emulate the tonewheel organs. Never understood why they discontinued it, perhaps the switch to new Windows Operating systems was the real reason, don't know.

As already noted in thie thread, there are now a lot of good options for tonewheel organ/rotating speaker simulators, some are even freeware/shareware now.

--Mac

FWIW, if one is running 64 bit DAW one could use a bridge to run B4II. Korg is not updating their M1 or WaveStation softsynths as well as their MDE effects because they work using bridges in 64 bit machines. I use Jbridge and all of the above run perfectly in Sonar X1C.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Quote:

Remember, she's 79 years old, she'll be 80 in December. She can barely see the targets.

Is shooting like that HOW she got to be 79?

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Quote:

Is shooting like that HOW she got to be 79?

Actually, Eddie, it probably is. ROFLMAO

Mom has always been a 'take no prisoners' type of person, but she's always there for you if you need her. She refuses to act her age, and plans on living to 114.

Gary

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,393
Posts732,476
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195