Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Eddie - for piano

Open Biab, click on Country Classic (249)
scroll down the centre list until you hit ACBALLAD.STY.
That is where the midi styles start - from there on down you will find lots of piano.
Highlight one style at a time. Lots of midi piano.

Ian

Ian
My "Original Tunes" Site
My gene pool needs more chlorine.
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
What i do eddie, is once the song is needing a good piano track, i go in the style picker and look for styles that are targeted at certain types of music, like country that suggests the style of music i want, and i change the style to that. In RB it won't regenerate the song, but allow you to generate a new track of Piano.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

What i do eddie, is once the song is needing a good piano track, i go in the style picker and look for styles that are targeted at certain types of music, like country that suggests the style of music i want, and i change the style to that. In RB it won't regenerate the song, but allow you to generate a new track of Piano.

When you go from that angle Rob, do you then switch BACK to the style you were using? I have this one set for a country shuffle kind of style and it is perfect (the project is I Fall To Pieces and I Can't Help It If I'm Still In Love With You intertwined into one song). I just don't have a lot of Real Track piano options.

Now with Ian's reply, I don't understand why I would open BIAB. Does it work in tandem where I can find instruments in BIAB and use them in RB? My perceptions is that BIAB and RB are two different processes and only related by marriage...

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hi Eddie

Using BIAB is the workflow I've developed since before RB existed.
BIAB is my sketch pad.
I just find it easier to preview styles in BIAB with my own chords entered.

It's the same style sheet - I was trying to draw your attention to the fact that the all midi styles have great piano rhythm tracks. Do it in RB or BIAB? Whichever is easier for you.

Yes they are meant to work in tandem - can't say for sure, but generally as I read, people set their song up in BIAB and then export it to RB to do heavy editing and mixing - at least that's how I use it. Primarily because the Chord View window is so powerful in BIAB.

Ian

Ian
My "Original Tunes" Site
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
So Ian, you do the framework in BIAB and then move it to RB? Is that correct?

This thing last night was the 2nd or 3rd time I have started with a blank canvas in RB so it is still a little sketchy for me about what I can and can't do.

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Re-read my previous post - I tried to clarify things.

But yes I do my framework in the BIAB Chord Window. Search for a style first then I put in the chords.
Adjust tempo, choose RTs - very powerful the Chord Window in BIAB.
Starting with a blank canvas in BIAB is probably easier - at least from my point of view.

Ian

Ian
My "Original Tunes" Site
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Ian, who cares? If you’d like a piano in the piece then use it!

I know that you are trying to emulate today’s country sound but my thoughts are that if it sounds good then it is good regardless of instrumentation. I think some of your songs would sound great with a little Floyd Cramer in there.

PS – I had a very busy day yesterday. Thus I didn’t get to your song. I’ll probably get to it Tuesday.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
No need to change the style back unless you need to regenerate something you do not have finished. RB does not follow the style unless you tell it to.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Ian, who cares? If you’d like a piano in the piece then use it!

I know that you are trying to emulate today’s country sound but my thoughts are that if it sounds good then it is good regardless of instrumentation. I think some of your songs would sound great with a little Floyd Cramer in there.

PS – I had a very busy day yesterday. Thus I didn’t get to your song. I’ll probably get to it Tuesday.

Ditto trust your ear . . . when it comes to instrumentation, especially just one i.e. a paino, my bet is that it will be a lot better than most of your audience.

Later,

Off-Topic
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
Quote:

Guess maybe the piano doesn't have the edge for today's country rock. Whereas I can hear where the Hammond might - edginess, power.

Ian

Ian:

The only instrument I play is the piano, but I haven't played an acoustic piano for some time - just digital. So I'll make a few comments as to why I think the piano isn't used and what might rectify it.

1) For a group to use a piano, they likely need a regular pianist, and most groups do some traveling.

2) Many (most) venues don't have a suitable acoustic piano (the real kind); the venues often tend to be arenas. In fact I've never seen a piano in an arena anywhere near where I live.

3) Traveling with an acoustic piano is close to impossible for a mobile group - it's heavy and the constant moving requires constant tuning which means a technician is required on a regular basis. This isn't going to happen.

4) The remaining option is a digital piano, and frankly the onboard sounds of a digital are not where it's at to use an old-fashioned term. They not only don't sound realistic at all, it's very difficult to get a piano sound that will cut through the mix without being too loud.

On Monday last, we went out for family birthday dinner, and there was a pretty good singer accompanied by a pretty darn good jazz pianist. Sadly the poor sucker was using a keyboard with Roland's famous thin artificial sound (insert Yamaha, Korg, whatever as you wish - I happen to have a Roland). I gave up on the onboard sounds of digital piano several years ago and use a physically modeled piano. At my disposal are so many sounds that it would make a digital piano run away in shame; and the sounds kick butt. The next version is going to turn some heads and make conversions (it's due out soon).

A frequent question is "how can I get the piano to cut through the mix?" In a few minutes, I can tweak a sound that will cut through a steel door and then save it as a drop-down preset. There are also dozens of ready-to-go presets including electrics, marimba, vibes, etc. (all percussion).

Every preset is available with one mouse click, and any two presets are visible and available onscreen.

The setup for traveling requires a reasonably good laptop, and any decent keyboard. Today's upper end laptops are being used extensively for gigs (you all know this), and appear to be quite stable (not going to start a Windows/Apple debate here - they both work).

The footprint on my seven year old dual core HDD is 24.81 MB (not GB as in samples), and it will easily keep up with only 7 ms of latency. Since the program resides in RAM, HDD speed isn't a factor.

I can't say for sure why piano isn't used more in modern country, but lack of knowledge about the options that are now available may be part of it. In the past, the "standard" for computer piano sounds has been recorded samples, (the latest Ivory II requires 77 GB just to contain the samples and requires a fast HDD). Also, one can't tweak the sound very much with samples. With my "piano", I can change tunings in an instant for example.

If you have a midi file you would like to hear rendered to a particular sound, let me know. I can convert it to a wave track in a few minutes and post it on my box.net account.

Glenn

Off-Topic
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Thanks Glenn for the input - good assessment.

Nashville tends to be streaky or formulaic if you prefer - guess piano is on the down-turn
right now. Even though piano could be well mixed in the recording studio, re-creating a "sound"
on stage is not always easy. But what the heck, does the audience really know the difference
in a digital piano "riff" or a true wooden upright.

Mario, Danny - I agree - my songs, my "sound". What I am aiming at as a member of Taxi.com, is making
sure that my tunes sound like what the song listings are asking for . . . . usually they specify
wanting the song style to sound like OR a la whoever artist. Otherwise the song gets rejected because its sound is not on target. It's all hit and miss, but if the song is not on target, submitting a song becomes an exercise in futility . . . and with the creeping years, can I afford futility??

Enjoy your weekend. Ian

Ian
My "Original Tunes" Site
Off-Topic
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
Quote:

Thanks Glenn for the input - good assessment.

Nashville tends to be streaky or formulaic if you prefer - guess piano is on the down-turn
right now. Even though piano could be well mixed in the recording studio, re-creating a "sound"
on stage is not always easy. But what the heck, does the audience really know the difference
in a digital piano "riff" or a true wooden upright.

Enjoy your weekend. Ian

Ian:

The audience may not know the difference between a digital or acoustic piano sound, but the piano sound must be able to cut through in the mix without being overbearing.

Perhaps some of the others here that are more involved and experienced than I with mixing and keeping the instruments separate, can offer some constructive comments.

Glenn

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
I know it to be the case that a modern MIDI sampled piano can do a much better job of fitting into the amplified band mix than attempts to use an acoustic piano, which is pretty much going to be a Helpinstill pickup, a flyswatter or nothing. Hexk, I'd be willing to bet that a lot of what we hear even from studio recordings these days may just be coming from the same source.

Relax, while the prominence of piano in country music may not be as prolific as at one time, there are still pianos to be heard on the country stations. This thread got me to turn and listen for a bit.

Onstage, today's digital pianos can certainly hold their own in these settings, actually, the sampled piano often is an easier mixfit from house to house.

We're not talking world-class classical pianists here.

Anyway, what I heard on the local country FM station in about an hour's time:

Toby Keith -- A Little Less Talk - and Toby seems to use the piano in quite a few of his numbers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXaz7oGwcXo

Sara Evans -- I Get a Little Bit Stronger - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1m8GSnIkxPM

Brooks and Dunn -- Who, by he way, auctioned off the Kurzweil 88 used on their last tour on ebay, complete with a road-damaged corner and their autographs on it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nw4lRXL_nXE

Brad Paisley still shows up with a pianist, typically running TWO or more MIDI decks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MapIaiWbOk&feature=related

And I heard LOTS of simply awesome Hammond organ work on the songs that didn't have the piano up front.

While the piano style has evolved, it has certainly not been neglected.

And in live performances, the digital keyboard is the new king of the hill.

--Mac

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Finally found use of a real live acoustic grand onstage with a country act.

Martina McBride -- Don't Stop Believin' - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v81JWh-50fk

Sounds like her pianist got to enjoy a Yamaha C1 with the prerequisite Helpinstill stereo pickup in it. A distinctive sound if you have ever gotten to know it.

But is that country or is that rock?

Gettin' hard to delineate, these days...

--Mac

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Well on this one, since it is a Journey cover, this one is rock. Martina is one of the real crossover artists anyway.

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Eddie, you were asking about style usage in RB. One of the most overlooked parts of RB is the use of the styles. First, RB only generates what you specifically tell it to do, it doesn't regenerate every time you hit play like Biab does. Second, you can use a hundred different styles on ten different places on ten different tracks. As long as you don't tell RB to generate something new on one of those tracks, it will stay forever or until your HD dies. That is the really big deal about RB. Say you only want some piano backing to start on bar 42 through 60. Pick the style, highlight those bars, right click on the track, click the midi instrument "piano". It's done in like two seconds. Go down that same track to the next place you want some piano and do it again but maybe try some different styles. I've auditioned 4 or 5 styles on the same track that way. Or, since it goes so fast anyway and you have 48 tracks to play with do the piano for an entire track, then go to the next track down and so on until you're tired of creating new piano tracks with different styles. It still only takes a few seconds even for an entire track. Play the song with all but one of those piano tracks muted and then play with muting/unmuting them until you finally hear something you like in different sections of your song. Midi generates so fast, who cares and you just go up to the Track menu and delete the data if you don't want to look at what you decided not to use.

This is where RB has it all over Biab. Biab can't touch this functionality.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Say you only want some piano backing to start on bar 42 through 60. Pick the style, highlight those bars, right click on the track, click the midi instrument "piano". It's done in like two seconds. Go down that same track to the next place you want some piano and do it again but maybe try some different styles. I've auditioned 4 or 5 styles on the same track that way. Or, since it goes so fast anyway and you have 48 tracks to play with do the piano for an entire track, then go to the next track down and so on until you're tired of creating new piano tracks with different styles. It still only takes a few seconds even for an entire track. Play the song with all but one of those piano tracks muted and then play with muting/unmuting them until you finally hear something you like in different sections of your song. Midi generates so fast, who cares and you just go up to the Track menu and delete the data if you don't want to look at what you decided not to use.

Different STYLE or different REAL TRACK?

If my style is set to BOBSCNTRYSHUF and all my instruments are there but I don't like the piano, you want me to change STYLE or REAL TRACK for that one track?

My original issue was that the pianos are such slim pickin's. There is some god awful Rhodes stuff and a few tinkle pianos when I look at the options for instrument selection when I say "GENERATE TRACK." And they are all named like "pop accompany" or "dreamy jazz". When I go through them, there is not much to choose from. Then Iam posted about BIAB even though I use RB amd that made me even more confused. Are the Real Track sounds not availble to both programs or will I find more pianos in BIAB than RT?

The thing for me is I would like to have a piano that the only way to describe it is "kickass like Roadhouse Blues" that I can create a solo from.

One of my songs I wanted some mild piano background and I ended up playing it in myself because none of the Real Tracks gave me anything I could use.

I also note you said "click the MIDI instrument piano", but I want audio tracks so I don't have to mess with soft synths at all. Did I read what you said and interpret it wrong?

Edit to ask you this question. You said

Quote:

Go down that same track to the next place you want some piano and do it again but maybe try some different styles.

but if I change the style won't it change my drums and everything, or will it apply multiple styles to different tracks in teh same song depending on what style I select PER TRACK?

Last edited by eddie1261; 09/05/11 06:29 PM.

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Eddie - I have never tried to use RB the way Bob suggests but I will.

Did you ever start with BIAB, Eddie? Have you used it at all?

Quote:

Are the Real Track sounds not available to both programs or will I find more pianos in BIAB than RT?

Yes RT sounds and Styles with RTs are available to both programs.

You will not find RT Pianos to do what you want with the Piano - the RTs have not been created yet.

But if you turn to the "All Midi" styles which have only use Midi voices (usually designated M1 in the info about the style sheet) you will probably find a suitable Midi track.
- but you will have to convert it to audio.

Set up a test SEQ and do what Bob suggests with differing midi styles. If you create a good Midi piano track then RB allows you to convert Midi to Audio.

Quote:

but if I change the style won't it change my drums and everything, or will it apply multiple styles to different tracks in teh same song depending on what style I select PER TRACK?

This is what worries me because I have not tried it. I'm not sure whether or not you have to go and change all BB tracks to normal tracks. Bob?

Do you want to start a new thread, Eddie? Getting kinda long.

Cheers - Ian

Ian
My "Original Tunes" Site
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,576
Posts734,569
Members38,494
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tony1234, trustedmedications, MAJORKEY, Fender601, VIPBET사설토토
38,494 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 192