Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Veteran
Veteran
Yes! That Mackie is a great audio interface. Look at page 10 and 11 of your owners manual. It tells you the Mackie receives the two channel main mix from your computer via the USB cable. That means you do NOT run audio from the back of your PC, the audio is going out from the Mackie. Here's where it's a little tricky for you if your not used to this. The Mackie uses XLR connectors for the main audio output. That means you have to get XLR cables to run to either your studio power amp or your powered monitor speakers. Note what it says on page 11 about adjusting the USB audio output coming from your computer. I'll bet that's where your problem lies with the weak sound you're describing since you're saying you have adjusted your wav outputs to the max already.

The one thing missing on the Mackie is midi but you may not need that. All newer keyboards/sound modules use USB for midi and the audio. My Roland Sonic cell for example. It's hooked up via USB so it plays any midi tracks and the audio outputs goes to my studio monitoring system which is controlled by my Behringer mixer, in your case any audio outputs from any other equipment goes into your Mackie. If you have some older equipment that does not have USB and you want to use it for midi sounds then you would need a separate USB midi adapter to go along with the Mackie but the audio outputs still goes to the Mackie.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Again with USB connection i only get control over the Graphic EQ Becuase with USB the computer is not feeding through one of the single pre amps 7/8 input .

Regards,
Greg

Greg, you must have written this at the same time I was posting my last reply.

This is the way you want it to work, you want to use the USB, not the 1/8" audio mini plug. Everything concerning the sound quality is done inside whatever software you're using, in this case Biab. The whole point of using a DAW is for you to do your final mixing there before it's sent out to your studio monitoring system. That includes any EQ. You keep your mixer EQ set flat, otherwise you don't know what your actual mix sounds like because that's external to the mix. If you keep the Mackie flat and your mix sounds like crap, then you fix it inside the software. Mackie included that EQ section for live work where as they described, you may want to mix the output from a laptop with vocals or instruments on stage but for studio mixing that's the last thing you want to do is to color the USB output from your PC.

Are using good XLR cables for the main outs?

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Hi Bob and thanks for that last reply. I am using good cables for my sound system .I bought them from sweetwater. I think the 1/8 connection sounded better then the USB becuase those on line BIAB demos are set at flat response and they are compressed files .So when i run it through the 1/8 plug to 1/4 im able to get more gain through the pre amp channel 7/8 becuase i have the low .mid ,and high adjustments And im able to doctor up those flat response demos . I understand now that i need to go all the fixing in BIAB first then out from USB connection It all makes sence now . Do i need to buy and audio interface or is my mixer with the USB connection the audio interface ? Thanks for your support

Mackie PRO FX8

Regards, Greg

Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Bob Disregard my question about my mixer being an audio interface i just read your answer to that . lol

Regards,
Greg

Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Hi Bob again,
I went a head and hooked the USB up to my mixer .Boy what a sound ! I went into my computer and looked at my main volume level and it was only up 1/4 of the way .I got plenty of juice now. lol . I got so much power it's unreal. The sound is cleaner and smoother and that's is even with a demo .I can't imagine what these real styles will sound like once i take them into the mixing area of the program. I have my mic pluged into channel one on my mixer and for some reason i do not get the feed back coming through my mic anymore like i use to .Is there a reason for that ? Another thing that helped i took the longest wall in the room and stretched my speakers out more. Why does USB sound better then anolog ? Anyways i can breath a little easer now i think im heading in the right direction. The more im listening to these real styles now I'm starting to think BIAB sound's more life like compared to the arranger keyboards out there. Man when i hear that sax it's out of this world . lol Here i had an audio interface on my mixer and was not even using it. lol As faras my main out puts to my amp im using the main outs on the front panel of my mixer L/R they are 1/4 jacks going into 3 prong plug on the other end which goes into my power amp but it also gives me a choice i could also select the 1/4 inch jacks in .Does it matter if i have 1/4 jack coming out of my main mixer and then going in with the 3 prong plug on the other end ? I could have just used 1/4 to 1/4 from mixer to amp but as if now it's 1/4 to the 3 prong plug.

Regards,
Greg

Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Hi Bob i was looking at my mixer again for hooking the mixer up to the power amp .I see there are XLR OUT PUTS on the back of my Mackie .I did not hook it up from the back but rather i hooked the main out from the top Bal/ unbal main out .So one end is 1/4 inch and the other end going to my power amp is XLR. Should i hook my mains from the back of the mixer and to my amp with XLR Only ? I wounder if that would make a difference in sound ? My power amp gives me an option either i can connect with 1/4 or XLR Inputs same does for the mixer. It apears the manule is saying the out mains are in the back of the mixer but do not talk about the main outs on top as far as a i can see .Which way would you hook it up ? Mackie pro FX8

Regards,
Greg

Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

I went into my computer and looked at my main volume level and it was only up 1/4 of the way .I got plenty of juice now.

Quote:

As faras my main out puts to my amp im using the main outs on the front panel of my mixer L/R they are 1/4 Does it matter if i have 1/4 jack coming out of my main mixer and then going in with the 3 prong plug on the other end ? I could have just used 1/4 to 1/4 from mixer to amp but as if now it's 1/4 to the 3 prong plug.

A quick comment here, Greg. Mac told you several days ago to make sure the main volume level was up full in your computer. That alone would have made a big difference even with the 1/8" mini plug going to your PA. When you have questions you need to read the answers carefully. Still, you're much better off using your Mackie anyway and now you've got it set up properly so that's great.

As to your second question no, it doesn't matter as far as sound quality is concerned, the 1/4" jacks on the front panel say "Main Out" so it should be the same as using the XLR Main Out on the back. It's cleaner and less messy looking to have the mains coming out the back and if you want to get technical about it balanced XLR's are what the pro's use over 1/4" jacks because of less chance of interference and noise. Mackie makes pro level mixers, that's why the mains on the back are XLR's and it's the same on my Behringer mixer too. If you're not hearing any noise then you're fine with the 1/4".

You're on your way now Greg and as Peter says, have some fun!

Bob

Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Thanks Bob for all your help .About the volume i will double check to make sure my volume is all the way up on my computer .Even when it was lower i still had plenty of volume so i guss that is showing me that the usb connection is pumping a better signal from my computer compared to the 1/8 jack hook up . So it's volume all the way up on the computer and lower the volume on the mixer i got it. I talked with Mackie tec support today .He said both out put connections are ok either 1/4 or XLR connection but he said like you said the XLR gives a less chance of interference with Noise .As of now i have a 1/4 inch jacks going from my mixer to the input of my power amp by way of XLR connection. I orderd a pair of Pro co XLR cables today from sweetwater .I like the idea of the jacks being the same set up on both sides male to female connection XLR and like you said it looks less messy becuase the jacks are on the back. Again thank you and the forum for leading me in the right direction .

Regards,
Greg

Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Why does USB sound better then anolog ?

For one thing the conversion from a digital signal to an audio signal is now being done by the Mackie, which was designed for the job. Which do you think was built with better digital-audio convertors; Mackie mixer or laptop? I betting the Mackie <grin>
Use the best convertors you have on hand for the best sound. That goes both ways. Your recorded tracks (like vocals) will probably sound better letting the Mackie do the conversion compared to the onboard laptop device.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
http://www.box.net/shared/bhmsa71ae7d856slbrqx

http://www.box.net/shared/9d3pho8foc

Bob here is a song file that a fellow sent me On the interent a while back which is from BIAB and im singing with it. I added my voice in Audacity and then recorded. The second link was an arragment that i created when i use to own the Yamaha psrs 900 arranger keyboard .The guitar part i did with the Pitch bend wheel while playing the keys. Although it sounded half decent i gave up trying to learn how to play the keys ,it destracted me from my singing skills so that is why i will be going with BIAB in the future but any way i thought i would share these two arrangment with you .Again thanks for taken the time in helping me get started with recording . Take care my friend .

Regards,
Greg

B
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
B
Great vocal on San Francisco Greg.

Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Thank you Bert glad you enjoyed it .

Regards,
Greg

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,614
Posts735,143
Members38,517
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
maxrob61, TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01, Juan Jose
38,516 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 182