Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#129861 09/27/11 03:36 AM
User Showcase
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Hi all,

Here's another song that I've been working on for a while. Recording that is, not writing.

I still struggle a little with the recording process. An hour to write and almost a year to record!!

I'm hoping this will be my final mix, as I think this is the best that I can get it.

Equipment: Roland VS 1680
Digitech Vocalist VR
Alesis 3630 Compressor
Rode NT1 Microphone
Art Studio V3 Pre Amp
BBE Sonic Sweet

****** Song Summary *************
Title: ONE MORE TIME
Key=C , Tempo 80, Length (m:s)=4:30

Style is =FBL12SP.STY (LitePop w/12str.FpkAc.Guit(65RT))
Style MIDI Instruments are : Strings (49),
RealTracks in style: 1036:Bass, Electric, NorthernRockBallad Ev 065
RealTracks in style: ~~362:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Ev 085
RealTracks in style: 1003:Guitar, 12-String Acoustic, Rhythm ClassicRockPicking Ev16 065
RealTracks in song: 1004:Guitar, 12-String Acoustic, Rhythm ClassicRockStrumming Ev16 065
RealDrums in Style: NashvilleEven16^6-HiHat,HHatO

ONE MORE TIME: http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=9747817

Music is what feelings sound like.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Martin,

Wow! This is a very engaging song. I love the groove. I think it was around about bar 4 when I noticed that my fingers were tapping on the desk and my foot was tapping away on the floor.

I completely agree with you about mixing and mastering. It's a tough, tough job! For me, that's the part of the song that takes ages. One of things that I found about mixing (I picked up from Mac on the forums here) is to mix at volumes that are on the quiet side. This has worked a treat for me. Mostly, I'll mix a song with the volumes a little quieter than normal conversation. Then, every now and again, I'll turn the mix up a bit to see how it sounds. Doing it this way has really reduced aural fatigue. I've also found it very important to leave the mix alone and to rest for a couple of days. When I return to the mix after not having heard it for a while, I can hear much more objectively for the first couple of run-throughs.

I'm just passing on the above in case it's useful for you!

I'm going back for a second listen now.

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Noel96 #129863 09/27/11 10:08 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hey Martin,

I think your mix sounds great. A year - and I thought I was pretty dog gone slow. Mixing....the one true love hate relationship. It's like Dan says, a never ending learning process. There are so many really good mixers on here I've sure learned a lot and am still learning. So believe me you are not alone in your mixing struggles. BTW, good advice from Noel (and Mac) as always.

I like this song too Martin. Love the lift into the chorus. And I'm always taken away on those soaring harmonies. Keep up the great work!

Sundance #129864 09/28/11 02:24 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Excellent song, Martin!
Very hooky, great mix. There's nothing I'd tweak or change.

Mixing: I gathered together all the tricks and tips I've learned over the years onto my web site here, maybe some might be of interest.

Great song!
John

Songs web site
YouTube Channel
BIAB 2019
Cakewalk by BandLab
Studio One 4
Noel96 #129865 09/29/11 05:31 AM
User Showcase
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Hi Noel,

Thank you so much for the comments. Hope you still liked it second time around.

You are so right about the "quiet" mixing technique. Something I only learned relatively recently but it has helped so much.

My main problem is always in mixing the vocal into the track and getting the right sound and feel on the vocal.

My problem is that I export the BIAB backing track to a 16 track Roland and record the vocals. Then mix the vocals from there and, when I'm happy - ish - export the whole lot back to the PC to master.

My problem is that the vocal is now part of the mix so whatever I do to the mix affects the vocal too.

I think I need to start recording the vocal directly to BIAB so that I have everything on separate tracks which, I assume, I could then open in Realband. Not that I've ever used realband, but it would allow me to use some of the excellent mastering and vocal software that is out there.

All I wanna do is write and sing lol........oh the pain...the pain!!

Thanks again for listening.

Martin

Sundance #129866 09/29/11 05:36 AM
User Showcase
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Howdy Josie,

Thanks, as always, for taking the time to listen. Glad you liked it.

You're right - some of these guys n gals on here are soooooo good. The sound they achieve is superb - and I hate them all lol!!

The good thing is, as with all musicians, they are such a friendly, helpful bunch. And like you, I have learned so much from them already.

It's not my favourite part of the songwriting process, so every piece of help and advice I get is truly appreciated. Anything that'll make the process a little easier!!

Take care.

Martin

Skyline #129867 09/29/11 05:40 AM
User Showcase
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Hi John,

Thanks for listening, and those kind comments.

And thanks for pointing me to your website. That was so helpful and informative. Just proves the point I was making to Josie above regarding the kindness of those on here.

Not sure what my next step is regarding my recording process - time to sit and ponder!!

Thanks once again.

All the best

Martin

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Martin, from how you describe your recording process it sounds to me like you could benefit from buying a full-blown DAW like Sonar for example? You'd be able to record all your tracks separately and try all mix options, as well use mix and master tools like TRacks or Ozone.

John

Songs web site
YouTube Channel
BIAB 2019
Cakewalk by BandLab
Studio One 4
Skyline #129869 09/29/11 02:47 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Martin,

I completely agree with John. It sounds like you need a good DAW (Digital Audio Workstation).

I use Reaper and find it brilliant. My workflow is: write the song in BIAB; assemble the tracks I want in Realband (because RB works with BIAB files); take the tracks to Reaper, mix them and record vocals. When you buy Reaper, you automatically get a huge collection of excellent plug-ins that allow you to dress-up tracks. I can honestly say that buying Reaper was the best $40 I've spent. For years I used Sonar/Cakewalk Home Studio; the Sonar people didn't give away too much for free.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Noel96 #129870 09/30/11 09:59 PM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Martin,

Good song, good job, good sound! I agree, with the comments about getting a full blown DAW. Once you get past the initial learning curve, you will find that it saves you a lot of work. I agree with Noel that Reaper is a really good DAW for the price. I don't use it (because I have Logic Pro) but I have toyed around with it, and it really has a lot of powerful features. Also, because it is such a low cost DAW, it is really catching on in the industry, and you can find a lot of tutorial videos for it on YouTube. Just a thought.

Anyway, good job! Keep it up!

Steve

Steve Young
Music
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of." - Robert Schumann
User Showcase
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Okay guys.....here we go!

I've downloaded Ozone 4 to try it out. I've bought Reaper as my DAW of choice.

I've watched the tutorial video telling me how to drag and drop tracks from BIAB.

it ain't working!!!!!

Can't seem to get Reaper to play any WAV files. It's playback is stuttery and distorted. I've checked the few settings that I actually understand.

Now I have no idea what to do!!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Martin,

Have you downloaded the instruction manual for Reaper?

I use ASIO4ALL with Reaper and it travels along on my Vista 32-bit OS without a hitch. I also prefer to use theme Options | Themes | Default_3.0 because I personally find it easier to see the VU meter in the Mixer.

I suggest that you don't install Ozone yet. Wait until you have Reaper up and working and you're feeling comfortable with it. Ozone only gives you 10 days to try it out and it would be a shame to not maximize those days because of still learning a DAW.

Below are the settings I use - found under Options | Preferences | Audio | Device.

Notes
  • The Audigy 2 ZS is my external soundcard that I use for both inputs and outputs.
  • I did nothing to configure the ASIO settings under "ASIO Configuration".
If your Reaper experience is destined to be anything like mine, it will take a couple of weeks for you to start feeling comfortable with the DAW. It's incredibly powerful and there's an awful lot to get one's head around. What I did was to download the file "All Through The Night.RPP", progressively work my way through the User's Guide, and follow all the instructions in the Guide about how to modify "All Through The Night" in the many described ways.

Regards,
Noel

P.S. It's probably better to take this discussion over to the "Off Topic" forum. It's likely to get lost in this thread.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Noel96 #129873 10/03/11 05:08 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Martin,

Here's a link to some Youtube videos that are worth watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Y8X_T3QBIo

These were prepared by our own Shockwave199 (Dan). He's done a great job. Dan also uses Reaper. The videos follow the sequence of: 1) preparing a song in BIAB; 2) dressing it up in Realband; 3) Mixing it down in Reaper.

Just some more food for thought for you.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Noel96 #129874 10/03/11 05:45 AM
User Showcase
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Hi Noel,

I thank you so much for trying to help me on this, but I'm afraid I'm already losing the will to live.
And for someone like me, who has very little already, that's dangerous ground.

I tried the settings you suggested using the ASIO thingy and I just get no sound at all.

I had already found those videos on youtube and I'm sure they are excellent for someone who enjoys working with these things. I just don't have the patience.

I use BIAB because it's what I understand and enjoy working with. It's like working with other musicians. It deals with beats, bars, chords and instruments. And I understand and enjoy that.

This DAW business loses me completely. All I really wanted to do was find some way of simply recording my vocal and backing vocals directly to my PC as separate tracks so that I could take advantage of the software out there capable of putting the final polish to my vocals.

I've always hated and been disappointed with the quality of sound on my vocals which is made worse when I hear from other excellent posters on here what can be achieved.

Guess it might be easier for me to scrub this idea altogether and have my songs recorded at a pro studio.

I am honestly grateful for the help you and all have given me on here but right now I am moments away from taking a hammer to the lot!!!!! No joke!!

I haven't recorded a new song for months, tho I've written so many, and it's getting really frustrating!!

As someone said: "God give me patience............but hurry!!"

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Martin,

Did you install ASIO4ALL? The reason I ask is because I'm not sure that the ASIO drivers that come with soundcards always work. I know that my Creative ASIO doesn't work with Reaper but ASIO4ALL does.

To be honest, it's really persevering with a DAW. That being said, it does take time and effort and, if you are seeking instantaneous results, I can appreciate the frustration.

When I set up Reaper, I did nothing special at all. I simply installed ASIO4ALL, then installed Reaper and it all worked. Mind you, it was all very very confusing to start with

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Noel96 #129876 10/03/11 09:43 AM
User Showcase
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Hi Noel,

Yes I did install ASIO4ALL.

I honestly don't expect instant results - but from a program designed as an audio workstation I do expect sound lol!!

Unfortunately, after spending the whole day searching umpteen forums, and finding countless people having the same problem with Reaper - I still have no sound.

Or if I do have sound, the playback is slow, distorted and echoey. I'm sure there's an obvious fix for this but I'm damned if I can find it - and damned if I care anymore.

I'm sure I should be able to achieve what I want in Realband - he said optimistically!!

I won't take up anymore of your time - you've been more than generous with your time.

Thank you

Martin

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hey Martin,

I don't know about where you live, but where I am, in most of the larger music stores they offer lessons (for a fee) for just about anything musical. Not only for instruments, but for recording software, etc. as well. I have never taken advantage of any of them, but they seem to have pretty knowledgeable personnel. I would think it may be worth making a small investment (in one or two lessons) to have someone help you get your software setup, and give you a short get-started class to just be able to accomplish your simple goals.

It sounds like you have reached a wall of frustration that is keeping you from getting where you want to go. (That happens to all of us. ) It just might help to have someone who is not frustrated to help you get back to a more peaceful place.

Since you've already invested in Reaper, just one more small investment may get you there.

Good luck!

Steve

Steve Young
Music
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of." - Robert Schumann
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Martin,

What are the specifications of your computer, what operating system do you use, and what soundcard is installed?

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Noel96 #129879 10/05/11 11:01 PM
User Showcase
A
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
A
Hi Martin, very groovy song! I'm curious, why can't you just do your recording/mixing with RealBand? It does the same things as other DAWs and works well with BIAB. For vocals, I hook up a USB mic to my PC and record directly into Realband, where I can mix it with the other realtracks. RealBand also has a good set of built-in plugins, like gain, reverb, EQ, etc.

I think sometimes we can get too caught up with the technology aspect when the whole point is to make our song sound good and professional. I think BIAB + Realband is good enough to create a professional song.

postcards from the soul @ www.mediafire.com/anieyo
blog: www.anieyo.com
anieyo #129880 10/06/11 08:31 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I believe anieyo is right Martin, for your needs at the moment. Start with a programme (yeh I'm British) that is made for BIAB. Apart from it being an excellent starter DAW the forums are excellent as advice is always available.

I believe many of the contributors use Real Band or Power Tracks for their recordings and then eventually move on to different DAWs. I use Cubase SX1 myself as I got a freebie years back with my 1st PC and upgraded for a while, as I understood it.

Use BIAB and RealTracks/PowerTracks to write and record your songs then move on if you want to, to Reaper etc.

I had a 1680 which was great for recording live bands but mixing was very hard with the little screen and the sub-sub-sub menus. I actually swapped it for a good PC, many many years ago, best thing I ever done Apart from adding computer gear to my addiction for new musical stuff

Alyn

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,469
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi, mmpartee
38,439 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195