Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I wanted to start a new thread based on comments made by various people on the WORST SONG thread, notably Rubberball, who said:
Quote:

Mr. Bojangle's dog dying does not seem like manipulation to me, just part of the story.

I'm curious to hear what songs have moved you emotionally without making you feel manipulated. And I'm not just talking about sad songs... I'm talking any emotional appeal... inspiration, retrospection, aspiration whatever.

If we can pin down exactly what appeals to us in other people's lyrics, it may help us to write something commercially viable too.

your thoughts...?

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
jury's out on BUTTERFLY KISSES by Bob Carlisle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmC3rJR7E98&ob=av2e

Any daddy who's ever raised a little girl to adulthood has probably
had some tough moments listening to this song. I've heard of
big ol' lumberjack lookin' men who pulled their pickups over to the berm
because they couldn't see the road through the tears.

Yet, it has a bit of the same shameless heart-snitting that made HONEY hard to hear for a lot of people. But, lots of people like it. Its a perennial favorite at weddings. From a commercial standpoint, it fills a recurring niche that wasn't previously filled by anything else.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Two songs that really touch me emotionally are "Arise, My Love" by NewSong and "American Dream" by Casting Crowns.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Lee Ann Womack's I HOPE YOU DANCE works for me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RV-Z1YwaOiw&ob=av2e

as one of this world's many quiet people who have a hard time making a firm decision to wholeheartedly embrace the simple joys of life, this song gives me the permission I never asked for. I think an awful lot of people identify with the message in this song. And commercially speaking, strong emotional identification is the home run that most song writers never manage to hit.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Steppenwolf's BORN TO BE WILD appeals in different ways to many.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnB-dnJVlcs

to some its testimony to who they are...
to others its a testimony of who they'd like to be

but for better or for worse, the song does tend to stir the imagination,

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I like everything by Fernando Ortega. But this song is especially encouraging to me after watching the evening news. Well, any time actually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEBmj7JO_Os&feature=related

Off-Topic
J
Journeyman
Journeyman
J
Quote:

......I'm curious to hear what songs have moved you emotionally without making you feel manipulated. And I'm not just talking about sad songs... I'm talking any emotional appeal... inspiration, retrospection, aspiration whatever......

I think mentioning a dog made me think of this, but 'Old Shep'(Red Foley I think) is a heart tugger that helped Elvis win a lot of contests and perhaps contributed to his career. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKuiS3J52pw

Inspiration, aspiration: 'Angels' is one of many that gets me. (Enya) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqVnOLiH0FM

But I nominate 'So Far From The Clyde' (Knoppfler) as a very good example of how music can manipulate us without us feeling manipulated. I mean, he's singing about a boat for goodness sakes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrTOeje9Rhs

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
That's easy. Handel's Messiah. All of it.

--Mac

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

That's easy. Handel's Messiah. All of it.

--Mac

you win

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
speakin' o' ships and (emotional) payload... I am reminded of the Edmund Fitzgerald
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgI8bta-7aw

there's something fascinating about:

1) the awesome power of nature and our comparative smallness
2) the drama and heroism of a team trying to survive in a hopeless situation
3) being musically projected into someone else's last moments
4) symbolically experiencing the grief of the families left behind

this song has all that

Off-Topic
J
Journeyman
Journeyman
J
Quote:

That's easy. Handel's Messiah. All of it. -Mac

I just listened to the 'Hallelujah Chorus of Handel's Messiah. Wow! I'd sort of forgotten about that one. Good call.

Quote:

speakin' o' ships and (emotional) payload... I am reminded of the Edmund Fitzgerald
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgI8bta-7aw

there's something fascinating about:

1) the awesome power of nature and our comparative smallness
2) the drama and heroism of a team trying to survive in a hopeless situation
3) being musically projected into someone else's last moments
4) symbolically experiencing the grief of the families left behind

this song has all that

Well said. Another one of my favs that I've not listened to in awhile.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Here's one I like that has a few good stories in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9YWqjuJMkc&list=PLEEF58E79A04471F4&index=50

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hey Pat,

I can think of a million that manage to get to me in someway. One of the more recent ones that I've heard is at ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHf7DtRa5TY&NR=1

It's a song that Beth Nielsen Chapman wrote following her husband's death. I was fortunate enough to hear Beth sing it at a songwriting workshop last year. It was very powerful. There wasn't a dry eye in the room afterwards.

I also stumbled across the below performance by Wynonna Judd recently and all I could think afterwards was "Wow! What a singer! What a song!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlv62wB4VNs

I also find Dolly's response to 9/11 an incredibly uplifting work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMQWYxPsGqw

Lastly, the Mormon Tabernacle Choir singing the "Battle Hymn Of The Republic" gets to me every time. The sound is simply magnificent. (Unfortunately Youtube is unable to do justice the sound of 500 or so choristers. The below link is the best I could find.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2x8MtHyx20

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

I just listened to the 'Hallelujah Chorus of Handel's Messiah. Wow! I'd sort of forgotten about that one. Good call.

If you can ever get your hands on a complete CD of the entire thing... Just. Do. It.

I still, at the age of 60, repeat something I've done since maybe around high school age with The Messiah, and recommend it to all practicing musicians, composers, arrangers, whatever -- also obtain a copy of the score, or at least one of the transcriptions for voice and organ, etc. -- and follow along with the performance as it plays.

There are two Classical works that I think *every* aspiring jazz musician should know inside and out, The Messiah is one of them and Bach's Well Tempered Clavier is the other.

By "know" I don't necessarily mean being able to play these pieces, although that would certainly be a goal as well, but there is so much to learn about the art and science of MODULATION, methodology of SEQUENCING, VARIATION that makes sense, so many things that are readilhy transferrable to Modern Jazz as well as all other modern musics that the experience is well worth the effort and slight expenditure. IMO

Analyze 'em. Then see what you might come up with when substituting the tension chords in there, b5, #5, b9, #9 and so on. Lift the Sequence runs in entirely, practice 'em and have a pallette ready to inject at any time during a solo, instead playing the 8ths with Swing feel, of course.

Vince Guaraldi's famous, "Linus and Lucy" piano piece comes to mind. I realized the first day I tried to transcribe that stuff that it had its roots in Handel's Messiah, there's a lick in there that the violins play in orchestral presentation that was a necessary to have in the organ transcription -- and involves the use of 1-3, 2-4 and 3-5 fingering of the RH that is virtually identical to Vince's "signature" line in the Melody of that piece, just a different keysig (Handel did it in D, Vince used Ab, actually an easier device for the pianist, as well as placing it in one of the "jazz horn keys"). Mr. Guaraldi certainly knew where to go to say, "Merry Christmas" indeed.

"Comfort Ye"

Okay, I'll stop now.

--Mac

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
I was in the Pontiac Silverdome, probably 10-12 years ago (- this is the dome where the Detroit Lions used to play - seats 80,000 or so)

and it was probably 2/3 full. I think there were 50,000 men there. Men only - men's Christian conference going on.

Holy, Holy, Holy sung in acapella by 50,000 men. Now, that was an experience full of emotion, soul searching, feeling small, feeling grand, etc. I'm tearing up right now thinking about it. Heaven's gonna sound like that - pretty sure.

-Scott

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Lee Ann Womack's I HOPE YOU DANCE works for me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RV-Z1YwaOiw&ob=av2e

as one of this world's many quiet people who have a hard time making a firm decision to wholeheartedly embrace the simple joys of life, this song gives me the permission I never asked for. I think an awful lot of people identify with the message in this song. And commercially speaking, strong emotional identification is the home run that most song writers never manage to hit.

1st of all I also love this song. It was played at a younger cousin's funeral a few years ago as it was her favorite song, well since then I can never get through it on a performance. In fact I just gave up even trying to perform this song again, now I just listen.

Also while they are many that get me emotionaly like Lee Greenwood's God Bless The USA, Wind Beneath My Wings, Trace Atkins' You Gonna Miss This and his latest, She Thinks We're Just Fishing to name a few but this is my favorite by Ray Charles America The Beautiful.

I am sure many more will come to mind as, well because music just does that doesn's it.

Later,

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Ya got good taste, Danny C.

BTW -- the Hammnd organ part on the original classic recording of Ray's America was played by none other than the late great, "fifth Beatle" -- Billy Preston -- when he was still yet a kid, no less. Somewhere around the age of 12 or so, and playin' a recording date with Ray Charles...

--Mac

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Chiseled in Stone by Vern Gosdin.
It's in my show but haven't dared to do it since my wife passed.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
While driving today the song THE LIVING YEARS by Mike and the Mechanics played on the radio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGDA0Hecw1k

That's another one that works for me. It speaks of the generational roadblocks to communication, a topic almost everybody can identify with on some level.

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,463
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi, mmpartee
38,439 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195