Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
An American was touring Wales, and upon entering a hotel in one town, noticed the words, “tam htab” written on the mat.

“Ah!” he said, “I suppose that’s Welsh for Welcome.”

“No, sir,” replied the doorman. “That’s the bath mat upside down.”

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
See if you can spot the english in this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQt-h753jHI

Chris
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
while in germany, there was one particular club band that played and sang u s of eh and brit r&r so well that i thought they were yanks or brits so, during a break, i had the waitress invite them to our table only to learn that they couldn't speak a word of english. they had mastered the lyrics phonetically!

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I wasn't going to post this...but every time I think of it, it still makes me chuckle after 40+ years.

Being on the road for many years, one of our favorite things to do after a gig, was to go eat Chinese. We had favorite restaurants in every city. In Chicago, at one of our favorites, we always had (for over a year) the same elderly Chinese waiter. He would always, almost forcefully, suggest "Takasuni" (pronounced Tah-Kah Sunny). We had never seen it on any menu in any Chinese restaurant we had ever been to, and we had considered ourselves "experts" in Chinese dining. We were afraid. however, to be this adventurous. (Who knows what could be in it???) One night we finally decided to go whole hog. We all burst into laughter when he arrived with our chocolate sundae!!!!

Last edited by Mick Emery; 10/09/11 11:57 AM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
hahahaha

"Takasuni" is hilarious! I'm glad you decided to post it! (why would you NOT?)
And "Ken Lee" is equally side-splitting!

In fact ALL of these stories are great.

I don't see them as stories that make fun of anyone.. I see them as examples of a very common theme in the human experience: the challenge of expressing ourselves in a way that the audience clearly understands.

I hope this thread continues for a long time. Thanks to Don Gaynor for starting it.

Sundance #130507 10/09/11 12:23 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

The one that gets me is from Americans making up a new word for talking...

i.e. - we were "conversating".

josie, another similar thing that curls my armpit hair is the "verbifying" of nouns and pronouns...to wit: googling; skyping; texting; youtubing; ad infinitum.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

Quote:

i knew that...y'bloody bloke, know-it-all!

keith, how's my oz-speak?

mac, my dear friend, holster yer hardware! i'm just pushing yer leg!

Well done, Don.
Consider yourself an honourary Aussie... mate!

keith, my dear oz pal/buddy/bloke/amigo/amico/ami/mate, i may be presumptuous but, you mis-spelled "CORNsider!"

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Wha' abou' sparfin' the grunion?

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Well the grunion is a fish, but why anyone would want to sparf it with a #10 spanner, is beyond me. Batter it and fry it ok but sparf it, it's obscene.

Chris
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
i was thinkin' - yes, irishmen do think on occasion in spite of what you may have heard to the contrary - how about recycling words that have fallen into dis-use(izata word?). i'll kick it off and y'all uns can come in on bar 17 (keeping this thread "music-related):

WORDS THAT CAN BE RECYCLED

spats: the white canvas covers that men wore on their shoes. (way kewl)
fob: i.e. watch fob. a sort of lanyard attached to a pocket watch (qv)
milk bottle: a glass container (qv) that milk and other beverages came in. recycling meant simply washing the bottles before refilling them.
ice cream: a frozen dessert made from fresh dairy cream. since replaced by frozen gar gum and artificial flavo(u)rs.

i'm certain that you clever folks can add many more. and, by the way, don't forget to "wind" (qv) your watch.
don't forget to defrost (qv) the refrigerator.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Don
normally I like word challenges... but I'm not sure where you're going with this.
What do you mean "words that can be recycled"?

I don't get the connection between your examples and recycling

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
pat, i'm thinking "expendable" but i had my tongue firmly planted in cheek. don't take it too seriously however, i recently renewed my poetic license with a murdercycle endorsement. as dr. gannon would say: "have fun, eh!"

Off-Topic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Hi guys,

I'll dare to participate in this thread, so here are my 2 cents:

When you come to Spain and want to tell anyone you're going to have dinner, just say:

BOY AS N R

...it sounds like "Voy a cenar" in spanish (as an american would say it, of course

If you liked that here you have some more...

http://www.isma.ws/textos/?id=5&x=alf

cheers

Last edited by Alberto Garay; 10/11/11 09:03 PM.
Off-Topic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Quote:

Hi guys,

...it sounds like "Voy a cenar" in spanish (as an american would say it, of course

In fact it's more like most south-americans or mexicans would say it, as in Spain we pronounce "c" with our tongue between our teeth, and not as an "s"

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
alberto, a sincere welcome to these forums and to this thread in particular. it's wonderful to examine our english language from a spanish-speaking perspective.i am certain that you find a lot of humo(u)r in our slaughter (murder) of our native tongue as, i am sure, that we see/hear in the spanish language. i have a wonderful nurse's aide, tracy, "from the mexican tribe" (her words) who is trying to teach me mexican spanish. i am a terrible student but we have a lot of fun.

incidentally, the hostess in a mexican restaurant asked if i wanted some "free hollies and nachos" and i said: "si, anything for free!" i ate five "free" servings. those darned mexicans had the audacity to charge me for them!

we offered a 10% senior discount where i worked when a young mexican gentleman came in and demanded his discount by explaining that he was a "senor." he got it!

"TENJOOBERRYMUDS".

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
On a highway construction project, in which the road had been torn up for years, someone put up a handmade sign reading:

“Scientists tell us that the sun will burn out in one and a half billion years. It is sad that this contractor will have to finish working in the dark.”

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

i have often wondered how many syllables in Worcestershire, fahv or nahn? oh, i'm having fun now! this has to be illegal, immoral, or fattening! i dearly love languages.

Don, only three actually: 'Wus-stuh-sher'.

John

Songs web site
YouTube Channel
BIAB 2019
Cakewalk by BandLab
Studio One 4
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I love the Oz language of Strine.

A famous author was supposedly signing books for his adoring public at a book shop event. He asked the next lady in the queue who she would like her copy dedicated to. She replied: 'Emma Chizzit'. So he wrote in the inside cover of the next book: 'Best wishes to Emma Chizzit'. She wasn't at all impressed and instead shouted at him:
'Nah! Emma Chizzitt?'

John

Songs web site
YouTube Channel
BIAB 2019
Cakewalk by BandLab
Studio One 4
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
During WW2 an American pilot was shot down, and taken to an Australian hospital in pretty bad condition.
After waking from a coma, he surveyed his injuries and said to the nurse "Was I brought here to die?"
The Australian nurse replied "No..... you were brought here yester-die"

Cheers,
Keith
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
good on'ya keith! i studied oz-speak by watching steve erwin the "crocodile hunter," on tvoy, by crackie!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,390
Posts732,456
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195