Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Quote:

I have never reached near 255 bars for any song I have done within Biab.
Trax

I reached it the day one.

Maybe it's me, but I really cannot get used to that repetition system....

In fact BG-help topics (within BIAB) suggest to make your songs as a whole, not using repetitions at all.

I miss a lot a good marker system, and repetitions referred to them.

...one more for my wish-list

C
Expert
Expert
C
Quote:

I miss a lot a good marker system, and repetitions referred to them.

...one more for my wish-list

Sometime ago I made a "demo" of what should be, IMHO, a must-have feature of the program:

Working with structures without a proper marker system built-in BIAB is in some cases really annoying.

PS: The request was already posted here

Veteran
Veteran
I made a similar post. Have intro, outro, and Parts A - Z.

Each part starts and stops at the predetermined point.

You then have the ability to write the final product as

Intro A B A A B C Outro

Now that would be cool.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
That's it !!

That would be the 10 for BiaB.

1) No bar limits.
2) Markers.
3) Easy song structure construction via text files o direct text editing within BiaB.
Using text files would allow to work on structures without the use to have BiaB available, and after that cutting and pasting or opening a text file.... mmm, great.

These are the "urgent" issues IMHO.

Added to these (I can live with that by the way)

1) Re-design of the user interface making it less sophisticated: less icons, smarter functionallity grouping, etc...)

2) Ease the use of the piano-roll and allow patterns to be edited with it.

=============

Around that it would be great that PG would leader a repository (or the links) to a huge musical database made by users and professionals including all type of styles (classical, hardcore, dance, house, D'n'B, etc...), and all type of BiaB elements: patterns, styles, songs (if copyrights permit...)

Veteran
Veteran
Alberto, I can not get used to the way BiaB wants songs structured either. Yesterday I extended a song in RB, adding a new section that started on the 'B' pattern and ended on A before going back into a verse. It worked really well in RB, but would have been a pain in BiaB.

I'm mentioning this because you (like me) *may* be one of the people that finds things much easier in RB. You can still generate like in BiaB (both MIDI and realtracks) but it removes some of the restrictions you dislike and adds some other benefits that really make it much better in my opinion. Just a different way to work.
Not as fast, but more control.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
>>> 1) Re-design of the user interface making it less sophisticated: less icons, smarter functionallity grouping, etc...)

Have you tried the existing configuration options? For example, you can customize the icons on the toolbar to show/hide icons (click arrow key at right of toolbar). In addition, they are floatable/dockable.

Also, you can change toolbar size/text and hide piano window, Prefs-Display

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
C
Expert
Expert
C
Quote:

You can still generate like in BiaB (both MIDI and realtracks) but it removes some of the restrictions you dislike and adds some other benefits that really make it much better in my opinion. Just a different way to work.

Yes, but the point is that Realband still lacks a lot of BIAB features that are very useful when working with songs, specially when working in the chord view: transposing chords, preview chords, Jazzup/down chords, Search/replace chords, reduce/expand duration of chords...

In addition, the program can't export songs (chord progressions with bar changes, style changes, etc.) back to BIAB and, at least in my experience, is considerably slower and more unstable than BIAB.

For these reasons, although theoretically it would be easier using RB when working with song structures, I've finished working exclusively with BIAB, a much more powerful program IMHO.

BIAB 2024, latest build.
jhg Offline
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I hit the 255 bar limit at 128 bars in my song when I tried using Realtracks in double time. I had to replace them with less favorable substitutes that used normal time to get them to last the whole song. I could cut and paste sections in Realband, but I want to go directly from Band in a Box to Sonar, starting with a complete song.

---- Jim Green

E
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
E
Hi All,

I'm a BIAB 2014 Mac user with the Everything Pak which I've had for about a month. This is my first version of BIAB.

Just checking to see if this 255-bar limit is still there in the 2014 version. Is there an adjustment to be made to expand the number of bars, and if not now, is this something that can be incorporated in future versions of BIAB?

I encountered the limit for the first time today when programming a RealTracks accompaniment for "Piano Man" which is a fast waltz and over 300 bars long, running about 5 1/2 minutes. Although the song seems relatively straightforward, because of the lack of uniformity to the form of the song, it's impossible to use the chorus repetition feature as an approach in this case.

Because I'm on a Mac I'm not able to install RealBand. It would have been convenient not to have to create a song in two parts and complete it in a separate program - e.g. Logic - because all I'm looking to do is create a simple accompaniment track, which BIAB would be able to do a magnificent job of on its own if not for this imposed bar limit.

Looking forward to any updates on this issue from fellow BIAB users...

Thanks!

Last edited by edwardjc; 08/10/14 08:02 PM.
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Muzic Trax
Alberto,

<...snip...>

I have never reached near 255 bars for any song I have done within Biab. Maybe at a tempo of 300 it will go through them fast, but you can set the number of chorus' and playback as well.

Trax

I write fake disks for BiaB, based on popular off-the-shelf music books, and I've hit that 255 brick wall limit dozens of times.

I'd love to do a disk that corresponds to the Sher "Latin Real Book" but unfortunately too many songs in that book need more than 255 measures to do.

Also, some songs need more than 4 chords per measure, or a chord both on the beat and the upbeat before it. To solve this problem I invented EXPANDED styles. They turn two BiaB cells into one bar of music, thus allowing up to 8 chords per measure. The problem with that is that it cuts the 255 measure limit to 127.5 measures.

Personally, I'd love to see the 255 limit doubled.

Now don't get me wrong, I absolutely love BiaB, and it has steadily improved since I discovered it in the Atari/ST, IBM DOS5, Mac OS6 days. I hope to see more improvements in the basic structure in the future, and I would be delighted if expanding the 255 measure limit was one of them.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,398
Posts732,546
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199