Band-in-a-Box for Windows
F
Fitzync Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
F
Hi,

I love the sounds I get using real drums, but I find the fills too repetitive over the course of a whole song, insofar as it becomes fairly obvious some kind of software is being used.

I was wondering if anyone uses EZDrummer in concert with BIAB and if so, how you use it and what your results have been.

thanks in anticipation for any input.

Fitzy

Fitzy
Fitzync #131633 10/20/11 05:53 PM
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
I have never used EZDrummer, but i love Jamstix, a similar product. One issue with RB, and PT is that they do not work with VSTi programs that have timing request. EZDrummer, and Jamstix will work but only as drum programs that follow midi, they will not "jam" to the music. But you can build drum tracks with patterns, but then again you are back to having the same fills and rolls at breaks.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Rob Helms #131634 10/21/11 07:24 AM
F
Expert
Expert
F
In the past I have used EZDrummer with BIAB. I would put together my BIAB tracks, both MIDI and RT and RD, and export. In my DAW I would import these tracks and set the correct tempo. Then I would open EZDrummer, mute the BIAB drum track, and audition drum parts. I would construct the drum track using basic groove, variations, fills, intros and endings from EZDrummer. Then I would render the drum track to audio--either a stereo track, or multiple tracks (kick, snare, toms, hi-hats, cymbals, rooom, and overheads) for more controlled mixing.

Once you find a groove that fits the BIAB tracks things should go pretty fast in EZDrummer.

BTW, the new Americana EZDrummer is fantastic.

Fred Grittner
2020 iMac, Ventura, Logic Pro
https://52tracksblog.com
https://fredgrittner.bandcamp.com
fgrittner #131635 10/21/11 09:40 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Hi, same here. i have used EZDrummer in various occasions where I have been happy with the midi version of the song, so I export the drum track as a midi to my daw and use whatever kit suits my needs or my ears. BTW the have now a new Jazz midi drums grooves, fills and what not in a new set that sound pretty good, specially if you have the jazz expansion pack. Even better yet, Toontracks is offering an upgrade to Superior Drummer 2 till the end of the month for $99, which is a lot cheaper that just buying it right out. It offers a lot more choices and control over the drums, mikes and so on, and you can use whatever expansion pack you have for EZDrummer. Hope this help.

Later

Music should be part of your life
http://www.soundclick.com/blackcatjazzcafeband
Fitzync #131636 10/22/11 09:12 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Fitzync, notice the last two posts talks about "exporting the song to a DAW". You can't use EZDrummer directly inside Biab because it only has one midi output port. If you pick EZD as your midi synth then all your midi tracks will sound as drums. Technically you can do it using some fairly complex third party software and if you're a bit of a computer nerd we can talk about that but for most people the answer is no.

Having multiple midi output ports inside of Biab has been on the wishlist for years and PG's answer was to create Real Band. RB is a DAW plus a lot of Biab functions. You can set up EZD in RB and still open and work with your Biab songs.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
jazzmammal #131637 10/23/11 06:00 PM
F
Fitzync Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
F
Thank you all for your replies. I am afraid I'm not much of a 'COMPUTER NERD' and midi seems beyond me, which is why I record everything in real tracks. (I find easy drummer in Sonar very easy as I can just drag and drop the fills I like). Maybe some future upgrades of Biab will use more varied fills and solve my problem. I still think it's an amazing program.

thanks again

Fitzy

Fitzy
Fitzync #131638 10/23/11 06:12 PM
Veteran
Veteran
If you have a recent version of Biab then you also have Real Band. RB will do the same thing with EZD that Sonar will with the very big added bonus of working with Biab songs and styles. Go over to the RB forum and read all about it.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
jazzmammal #131639 10/23/11 09:02 PM
Journeyman
Journeyman
It sounds as though you already have the idea of how to use ezdrummer in Sonar. You can basically do the same thing with BIAB and transfer the BIAB tune into Sonar and then copy your ezdrummer part over the real drums you brought in from BIAB. This will give you much more control over your drums and I think you will be much happier with the sound you end up with.

Realize that ANY of your BIAB tracks can be replaced and tweaked in Sonar. When you start using it that way you end up getting a lot more control and a much more polished product in the end.

Dell 610 dual Monitor, win 7-10, Sonar Plat, ProTools 10 & 11, Reaper 4, BIAB/real Band 2022, Easy Drummer, Superior Drummer, Kontact Essentials, Personnel Orchestra, Korg Legacy Analog & Digital
earl kirby #131640 10/24/11 08:08 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

You can basically do the same thing with BIAB and transfer the BIAB tune into Sonar and then copy your ezdrummer part over the real drums you brought in from BIAB. This will give you much more control over your drums and I think you will be much happier with the sound you end up with.

Realize that ANY of your BIAB tracks can be replaced and tweaked in Sonar. When you start using it that way you end up getting a lot more control and a much more polished product in the end.

I think you misspoke here Earl. Real Drums are not midi. If you've created a Real Drums part in Biab then there's no midi drum part for EZD to play. Also, Sonar isn't going to "replace" any Biab parts. You have to do those in Biab first then copy them over. If you like all the Biab tracks except for the piano, you have to go back to Biab, change styles, regenerate the song, isolate just the piano part and then copy that into Sonar. Contrast that with Real Band. RB will allow you to simply click on any empty track and generate a different piano part right there and you can generate many different versions of that track using different styles, no going back and forth to Biab then copying into Sonar. RB will create as many different Biab tracks both midi and Real Tracks as many times as you want up to 48 tracks but even that isn't a limit because you can put multiple Biab parts on different sections of the same track so it's really unlimited. RB is really powerful. The one big weakness with using a drum program like EZD is if you want to use EZD's own drum patterns. That's the one thing RB won't do even though it's been on the wishlist for years but RB will use EZD or any other drum program as a sound module to play any midi drum part including the Biab generated ones.

Just curious Earl, what exactly can you do in Sonar that you can't in RB other than creating third party drum grooves?

Bob

jazzmammal #131641 10/24/11 09:34 AM
F
Fitzync Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
F
Thanks for all the tips guys. Do I understand correctly that I could do a song consisting of real tracks, and then open that song up in Realband and then open EZDrummer in Realband and work the same way as I do in Sonar? Whatever I do in Biab, I always export the tracks to Sonar for mixing and mastering. I have always had trouble matching EZDrummer to tracks made in other software, the bpm never seem to match exactly.

Fitzy

Fitzy
Fitzync #131642 10/24/11 01:56 PM
F
Expert
Expert
F
As long as you set the bpm in Sonar at the same number as the BIAB file you shouldn't have any problem. I have never had a problem.

Fred Grittner
2020 iMac, Ventura, Logic Pro
https://52tracksblog.com
https://fredgrittner.bandcamp.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,463
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi, mmpartee
38,439 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195