Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#131681 10/22/11 05:06 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Anybody here used any of the MOTU products? Particularly interested in getting input on the 2408 interface. I am thinking about getting a couple of them so I can bring the stuff out of Real Band and mix it on a real mixer instead of the mixer inside of Real Band. I like sliders rather than mouse movements.

The main question for me is about moving tracks to Sonar. I appear to do it correctly when I drag and drop each track from Real Band into Sonar tracks but somehow I manage to get all the tracks combined into the first Sonar track. I click the plug in button, drag track 1, and it takes everything. I have to be missing a step somewhere.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
eddie1261 #131682 10/22/11 07:00 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I wonder if you select all tracks in Sonar if that might work ? Dough-no never tried it .

Tommyc #131683 10/22/11 07:09 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I'm not at my BIAB computer now, but there is a setting in the Drag n Drop options for this. It is not determined by SONAR.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Matt Finley #131684 10/22/11 07:35 AM
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Eddie i am thinking, you are over thinking stuff. If you want to mix and master in Sonar, just export all the RB tracks as wave files it automatically opens a folder and deposits the tracks in that folder named after the song.

I have a few questions though.

First off what is it you want to do in Sonar that you can't do in RB?

Secondly when you say you want to mix with a external mixer instead of a mouse type on screen mixer, i ask why?

Third, Are you wanting to mix in Sonar, or master?

Forth, what kind of interface are you using to record into RB now?

The reason for these questions is to help you get where you want to go. The motu unit also has an internal mixer software applet, if you want to mix the software outside on a real hardware mixer you need something that acts like a controller. Something that moves the faders in both RB, and Sonar when you move the real faders on the unit.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Matt Finley #131685 10/22/11 07:37 AM
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

I'm not at my BIAB computer now, but there is a setting in the Drag n Drop options for this. It is not determined by SONAR.

Pay attention to what Matt has said up there...

--Mac

Mac #131686 10/22/11 07:50 AM
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Something like this http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/m-audio-projectmix-i-o

But consider what you really NEED, not just want. I constantly mull over really cool items, but what i really need is different. I will never track a full band at a show. I will have a couple friends over to play and lay down a few tracks. So instead of buying a $2,000 mixer rig i got the $99 stupid deal Tascam US 800 and guess what i have 8 ins more than i will need.

One thing i learned about myself, is that i want to keep adding software and gear, while i have not mastered the ones i have yet. I bet you have not reached the apex with RB. There is very little you can't do right there in RB. In the last year i have bought Multitrackstudio 6.41 Reaper 4.1, Sonar X1 essentials, and Melodyne. I did not need all that, as i can do anything i want in RB. Sure RB does not have as good of an automation setup. but my old MTS version 5 did. Anything i wanted that RB lacked was there.

Problem is that neither Sonar, MTS, or Reaper can do what RB does, So it makes more sense to use RB, and really learn all that it can do first.

Just a few of my musing thoughts.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Rob Helms #131687 10/22/11 07:54 AM
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R

Rob Helms #131688 10/22/11 07:57 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Eddie,
I know you are getting comments about"why do you want to mix on a console?" This is becoming more & more popular with a lot of people. Not only for the ability to use faders but the ability to add in a little of the analog warmth before sending the mix back into the computer as a stereo track. So I say keep on that way if you like the results.
As far as MOTU. No personal experience however they were always leaders in the interface market.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
Rob Helms #131689 10/22/11 12:42 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

First off what is it you want to do in Sonar that you can't do in RB?

I don't know if, after changing the interface from the M-Audio Fast Track to the internal PCI card that works with the MOTU if Real Band will send me out 8 individual tracka. How I would make changes in track assignment on audio tracks to tell it which channel it will be controlled by. I know I can do it with Sonar. My trumpet player does it all the time. He uses Sonar and 2 MOTU 2048's and sends back out into his 32 channel mixer to mix there rather than on the screen.

Quote:

Secondly when you say you want to mix with a external mixer instead of a mouse type on screen mixer, i ask why?

Mainly the feel of using real sliders rather than grabbing and sliding tiny control buttons with a mouse, and having to do them one at a time. With sliders I can have my fingers on 8 channels at once.

Quote:

Third, Are you wanting to mix in Sonar, or master?

Best answer is yes. Comedic answer is "I want to be the master of my mix."

Quote:

Fourth, what kind of interface are you using to record into RB now?

Right now I use an M-Audio Fast Track Pro that is fed by my Mackie mixer for when I record supporting instruments and vocals into Real Band.

Quote:

The reason for these questions is to help you get where you want to go. The motu unit also has an internal mixer software applet, if you want to mix the software outside on a real hardware mixer you need something that acts like a controller. Something that moves the faders in both RB, and Sonar when you move the real faders on the unit.

Don't my fingers move the faders?

Here is what I have seen and done and liked it a lot.

Our trumpet guy has a 24 track mobile studio that he takes out and records with. He came to a rehearsal for my aborted Stevie Nicks trib band last year. He recorded 5 songs. He sent me a DVD of WAV files. I brought them home and imported them into my Sonar and mixed them the way my ear said was right.

Then I went to his house. With the same stuff he recorded on his rig, I was able to sit down at his console and mix again with my hands on a mixing board. That just "felt" better. I had all the drums under my fingers at once and could close my eyes and move the sliders until I heard what I wanted. The same with 4 vocal mics, and the bass/guitar/keys. I can't do that with a mouse. I have to do one track at a time, and I don't like that much. It may just be the old school in me, but I like a mixer. I can loop my digital reverbs into that mix and dump that product to a new file when I have it right (which is what I assume what you meant by mastering - making that finished product.) and move on to the next one.

Now, after exporting all tracks to WAV, importing each track to Sonar, how do I get rid of the "stuttering" that came out when I hit play? I remember this topic but have no idea what the thread name was to search for it.

Do I ask too many questions?
single choice
Votes accepted starting: 10/22/11 12:42 PM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.
Are my questions stupid and obvious?
single choice
Should I stop asking questions?
single choice
Is asking questions considered taking the easy path?
single choice
Last edited by eddie1261; 10/22/11 12:44 PM.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
eddie1261 #131690 10/22/11 01:10 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
RB will use the 8 outs if the device allows it. I do it often with 1010lt.

Trick is to enable the ports in the audio options area by highliting them, then you can right click each track and tell it which port (output) you want it sent out on. Make sure your main output stays at the top as the default, then you can assign tracks to other outputs individually.

You can even set up subgroups inside RB (bottom right of mixer panel) and group instruments to certain outputs. I've done drums this way; send all 8 drum mics to the stereo subgroup so once I have volume/panning of individual drums balanced I can use the subgroup to balance the volume of the whole set to the rest of the mix without having to reset everything..

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
rharv #131691 10/22/11 01:35 PM
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
What Ed needs right now is a good multiple-channel capable soundcard. (And, of course, a mixer that has the separate channel "insert" capability required.)

Rather than stacking two to get the number of needed channels, I would recommend looking into a single solution that has the requisite number of separate channels available. The M-Audio Delta 1010 series does, and is the price leader. We also know that for the most part it works and plays well with the already mentioned softwares and ahs good driver support.

--Mac

Mac #131692 10/22/11 01:48 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Absolutely the Delta 1010. I had one of these and can defiantly vouch.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
Mac #131693 10/22/11 01:51 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

What Ed needs right now is a good multiple-channel capable soundcard. (And, of course, a mixer that has the separate channel "insert" capability required.)

Okay, now I am confused yet again. The way you worded that, it sounds like you meant a sound card with 8 outs on the back of an actual card that goes into a PCI slot. That would make the thing like 12 inches wide, which of course wouldn't fit into a computer case, so it's either an outboard or an inboard with a breakout box. I thought that (breakout box) was the concept of the MOTU unit, a sound card that feeds it's own flavor of firewire into the rack piece which wil mux 8 into 1 going in and 1 into 8 coming out.

And when I hear the word "insert", I think of the row of 1'4" jacks on a mixer that accepts 1/4" stereo plus that loop an effect. Were you using it that way, or did you mean inputs like where I plug in my keyboards?

Quote:

Rather than stacking two to get the number of needed channels, I would recommend looking into a single solution that has the requisite number of separate channels available. The M-Audio Delta 1010 series does, and is the price leader. We also know that for the most part it works and plays well with the already mentioned softwares and has good driver support.

I will look at that also, but when I can buy MOTU's for $100 or less, it's hard to pass up.

eddie1261 #131694 10/22/11 02:11 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Okay update on "dropping" to Sonar. I found no setting to let me use the "drop" function that way it worked in BIAB. I saw the drop button turn green once but there was no activity and no tracks were made available to move to Sonar. I used to start that plug in and then just drag the track from the BIAB screen onto an empty track in Sonar and it moved over. I ended up exporting each track to WAV and imported them into Sonar and they are all there. All 8 of them.

However, that stuttering issue just won't go away. I tried everything I know. I made sure to close one program before running the other so two programs were not fighting over the sound hardware. After importing tracks I shut both programs down and reopened Sonar. Still stuttered. Restarted the computer. Still stuttered. There is no setting in Sonar like there is on the Real Band options panel to play with buffers, so at that point I knew of no other way to play with that, and got to the point where I took the attitude "and why should/would I have to when it plays fine in Real Band? It's the same tracks, same data, etc...."

And now I have to go run sound so I can't play any more with it today. And tomorrow is a morning or rehearsal and then the Browns game, and then a computer side job..... so I'll get back to this maybe Sunday night, but more likely Monday.

Thanks for the help everyone has offered so far. The learning continues.....

eddie1261 #131695 10/22/11 03:28 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Eddie, I'm sorry you're having trouble.

SONAR does have adjustments to help with stuttering, but we need the standard info to be able to help you find them. It may be in other posts, but would you mind repeating which SONAR version you have, and give some details about your hardware? You will want to find your soundcard's control panel and play with the buffer settings, regardless of whether audio works in other programs.

You should also report the results of the DPC Latency Checker, to make sure you don't have some other conflict preventing your system from handling audio. SONAR is more sensitive to these conflicts than any other software I use.

As far as BIAB Drag n Drop into SONAR, what you are doing works, but you are making it harder than it needs to be. Try this:

• Click on the DAW Plugin icon

• Select 'Options for DAW Plugins'

• Make sure the first, third and fourth checkboxes are checked. Depending on how you handle MIDI, you might also want that second box checked, but that's not relevant to your problem.

• Also in that dialog box, make sure the Drag Audio pull-down says 'WAV'.

• Then, all you have to do is drag the Combo button into an empty SONAR project, and sit back and watch it work. Be patient, and observe the track names as they alternate changing color.

• The only thing I adjust after that is to check the tempo, and perhaps rename the tracks to get rid of the BIAB-generated names.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
eddie1261 #131696 10/22/11 05:17 PM
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

...That would make the thing like 12 inches wide, which of course wouldn't fit into a computer case, so it's either...

You wouldn't have half the problems you do if you could stop with the assumptions and simply do a websearch for the card and see how that is handled...

Matt Finley #131697 10/23/11 01:14 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I'll give you what I can right now but it's almost 4am and I just got home from a sound gig.

Quote:

SONAR does have adjustments to help with stuttering, but we need the standard info to be able to help you find them. It may be in other posts, but would you mind repeating which SONAR version you have, and give some details about your hardware? You will want to find your soundcard's control panel and play with the buffer settings, regardless of whether audio works in other programs.

I have Sonar Producer 7.0.2. The latest updates/patches all applied. The sound card is the exact same thing I use for BIAB. Now what I DON'T know is when I look at the sound card setting inside of BIAB/RB, are those settings specific to the software, meaning that it is different when running BIAB/RB or other software. I can only guess that the settings are "the settings', that BIAB doesn't make temporary changes to the sound card and then it reverts to something else when I close the program. I use an M-Audio Fast Track Pro. Also note that if write into Sonar, it's fine.

Now your reply twice said BIAB. I am using Real Band. Would knowing that have changed your reply any?

Quote:

Try this:

• Select 'Options for DAW Plugins'
• Make sure the first, third and fourth checkboxes are checked. Depending on how you handle MIDI, you might also want that second box checked, but that's not relevant to your problem.
• Click on the DAW Plugin icon
• Also in that dialog box, make sure the Drag Audio pull-down says 'WAV'.
• Then, all you have to do is drag the Combo button into an empty SONAR project, and sit back and watch it work. Be patient, and observe the track names as they alternate changing color.

My choices under that pulldown were "WAV file or WFM file". No check boxes, etc.... That is in Real Band. I remember seeing this in BIAB, and when I did it, it blended all the tracks into Sonar track 1.

@Mac, I was trying to be humorous in describing a 12 inch PCI card, which was so obviously ridiculous I don't understand why it even evoked a response. If you noted the next line acknowledged that there was likely some kind of breakout box, which there is.

eddie1261 #131698 10/23/11 07:21 AM
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Gotcha.

--Mac

Mac #131699 10/23/11 08:08 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I have described how you can fix the problem you encountered in BIAB. As for RealBand, I can't help you.

Mac #131700 10/23/11 08:14 AM
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
I have3 never tried it, but don't mackie boards have inserts that can be setup as feeds? If so then if you daisy chained two M-Audio 1010 deltas, you could ahve 16 channels in and out?

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,389
Posts732,448
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195