Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Rob Helms #131701 10/23/11 08:20 AM
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Actually to simplify things if I were going to spend $950 a piece for two MOTU units i would just buy a presonus board instead and get it over with. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/presonus-studiolive-16.4.2-digital-mixer/478507000000000

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Rob Helms #131702 10/23/11 12:20 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

I have3 never tried it, but don't mackie boards have inserts that can be setup as feeds? If so then if you daisy chained two M-Audio 1010 deltas, you could ahve 16 channels in and out?

See if I can get you all straight.Mac mis chose his words and I'm sure he knows the difference.
A decent console will have the following inputs:
1. Low Imp.low level Mic input
2. Low Imp line level input
3. An insert-- this is a stereo jack were tip =send & ring=return. Used to patch compressors inline. Typically.
4. Direct send--used to send to tape decks etc.usually post EQ /prefader.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
silvertones #131703 10/23/11 01:54 PM
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
I use my Inserts as Inputs, by only going to the half click. A lot of folks using multiple channel soundcards do that.

--Mac

Mac #131704 10/23/11 07:16 PM
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
So with inserts and a delta 1010 you could patch 8 outputs from the mixer to the 8 inputs on the delta, and then output the delta back to the mixer for monitoring, i get that way.

Daisy chain two delta 1010, and one 16 channel mixer for 16 channels in.

Don't most Mackie boards have insets on all channels? On my Yamaha board there are 12 channels, but only 4 inserts.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Rob Helms #131705 10/23/11 08:19 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
My board does have inserts on all the channels.

See, I stumbled upon 2 MOTU 2408's and the interface card for right around $200, and that was a whole lot more affordable than the $2000 Presonus piece you suggested. And my end goals are not all that complicated.

All I want to do is continue creating music in Real Band and be able to mix it on my Mackie mixer, with my rack mounted effects on the effects bus, EQ if I want it, compression.... those onboard tools just don't work for me. I have yet to be able to use the onboard graphic EQ in Real Band and get anywhere with it because it isn't real time. I don't like "stop the playback, move these sliders with your mouse, hope that it is what you are looking for, and play back, and if it's not right stop the playback and tweak some more." I need to be able to reach out to my 31 band EQ and tweak in real time. The same for reverb.

Until I get this interface card into a computer and see what it looks like I don't know if it will play well with Real Band. That would be the only reason I care about exporting the tracks to Sonar, because I KNOW it plays well with Sonar from being at my friend's studio and using it there. My stuff is so basic that I don't think I have yet approached 16 tracks (maybe 10-11 tracks was my highest).

Rob, you in particular have seen how I struggle with the Real Band onboard stuff. I think for my application external effects are going to work out better for me because I am used to them. I can't EQ to save my soul in Real Band, but that is mainly because it isn't real time. If I can move sliders while I listen, I do a much better job.

My biggest concern here, and the reason for the thread, was whether after generating drums, bass, rhythm guitar, rhythm piano and pedal steel onto 5 tracks in Real Band I can send those 5 tracks out individually to a mixer so I can massage them. According to The Harvmeister I can do that. Obviously I won't have channels for kick, snare, hat, rack, etc..... though I COULD do that by sending MIDI drum events to my drum machine which has an output for each drum, but there is no need to get that deep.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
eddie1261 #131706 10/23/11 09:06 PM
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
What a deal! $200 great, i hope it all works out well.

Rob Helms #131707 10/24/11 05:55 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Yes "inserts" certainly can be used as direct sends when half jacked. The big difference is that the send point of inserts is after the pre amp & and low cut filter and before the EQ. With Direct sends the send point is Post fader. It utilizes all of the features of the channel. My console allowed the Directs to be either pre or post fader.
Also don't forget if you are going to send from a console to 16 channels of a sound card and want to return those 16 channels back to the mixer you'll need to have at least a 32 channel mixer or do a lot of plugging & unplugging.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
silvertones #131708 10/24/11 10:00 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

Yes "inserts" certainly can be used as direct sends when half jacked. The big difference is that the send point of inserts is after the pre amp & and low cut filter and before the EQ. With Direct sends the send point is Post fader. It utilizes all of the features of the channel. My console allowed the Directs to be either pre or post fader.
Also don't forget if you are going to send from a console to 16 channels of a sound card and want to return those 16 channels back to the mixer you'll need to have at least a 32 channel mixer or do a lot of plugging & unplugging.

Well, since this is all new ground to me, I will be experimenting a lot. I rarely pass 8 channels, and when I do there is a lot of plugging and unplugging to do, but this is why I bought two of them. The grand scheme was that I send with one and return from the other. We'll knwo how it goes by next weekend, but I think it will work out as I have seen it work that way before. I also have patch panels that I can use to make the replugging easier.

Now the newbie comes out as I ask about "half jacked". Is that nithing more than plugging a mono 1/4 plug into the stereo insert jack?

(I DO know enough to know that the male is a plug and the female is a jack, though nature says the female should be a jill.... )

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
eddie1261 #131709 10/24/11 11:21 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Although I use inserts as they are intended, to route a signal out and back, I believe half-jacked refers to plugging the three conductor jack in until you hear one click, not all the way in to hear two. This makes connection with only one of the two circuits. In other words, don't plug it all the way in. You'll feel the first tension point even if you don't hear it.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Matt Finley #131710 10/24/11 02:21 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Although I use inserts as they are intended, to route a signal out and back, I believe half-jacked refers to plugging the three conductor jack in until you hear one click, not all the way in to hear two. This makes connection with only one of the two circuits. In other words, don't plug it all the way in. You'll feel the first tension point even if you don't hear it.

Not only that. An insert jack is indeed a stereo jack BUT it is also a switching jack. When nothing is plugged into it it allows the signal to pass through it. If you plug an insert cable into it then the circuit is broken and nothing will pass between the pre and the rest of the channel strip unless you plug the send & return into a piece ogf gear. Most usually a compressor.That's why it's called an "Insert" It allows you to insert an effect directly into the signal path.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
silvertones #131711 10/24/11 02:24 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
PS
When you plug a cable only to the first click it allows that cable to grab the signal to be sent to your soundcard WITHOUT activating the switch so the signal continues to also go through the rest of the channel.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
silvertones #131712 10/24/11 04:32 PM
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Eddie, you wrote: "I can't EQ to save my soul in Real Band, but that is mainly because it isn't real time. If I can move sliders while I listen, I do a much better job. "

This is the root of the entire problem. Offline processing is not easy to use when performing EQ - in fact it's just about useless.

Get a freebie EQ plugin. Save the $200 for the acoustic treatment in your studio.

When you go D/A to the board, outboard effects, etc. and then A/D back in to the computer you WILL introduce noise.

The entire problem is trying to cram a square peg into a round hole with PG's offline processing for EQ.

Here is a link to the freebie classic Kjaerhus series of plugins: http://acoustica1.cachefly.net/other/Classic-Effects-Installer.exe

(There's a fine EQ in there that is real-time)

You can work wonders with those. They are all real-time. None of them will introduce noise like your wiring situation with outboard processing will do.

Also, learn to use the automation envelopes in RB for volume for mixing. With them, you'll find you can mix with more than 10 fingers at a time!

Honestly, I think the reliance upon off-line processing of the PG plugins is really at the root of your frustration; particularly when it comes to EQ. It just doesn't make sense to do it that way - even though offline processing is what comes native in PG products (as far as I know).

My 2 cents which will hopefully save you $200.

-Scott

Last edited by rockstar_not; 10/24/11 06:47 PM.
rockstar_not #131713 10/25/11 06:33 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I don't get what you mean. "not in real time".I assume you mean while recording. This is true if you aren't using ASIO drivers.Scott are you saying that you can use those free plugs "in real Time" to record and not use ASIO?

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
silvertones #131714 10/25/11 09:36 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Plugins worked like a dream, Scott. TY!

I still can't EQ worth a damn, but I'll work with it....

John, in my case, I mean while playing back and mixing down. I was not aware that while playing back I could load in virtual EQs and EQ in real time. I was stopping, opening the Pg 10 band, moving sliders, and playing again to hear the changes I made, which were usually wrong. With the VST EQ I can EQ while the song plays back. I still can't make this foghorn voice sound like Sinatra, but I am working with it.

Looking for that Sinatra/Bennett/Como plugin....

eddie1261 #131715 10/25/11 10:18 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Plugins worked like a dream, Scott. TY!

I still can't EQ worth a damn, but I'll work with it....

John, in my case, I mean while playing back and mixing down. I was not aware that while playing back I could load in virtual EQs and EQ in real time. I was stopping, opening the Pg 10 band, moving sliders, and playing again to hear the changes I made, which were usually wrong. With the VST EQ I can EQ while the song plays back. I still can't make this foghorn voice sound like Sinatra, but I am working with it.

Looking for that Sinatra/Bennett/Como plugin....

Well that's even easier. I assume that you now realize that the PG EQs and all the other effects can be used "in real time"during playback and mix down? That EQ that Scott recommended may be great as far as features and sound etc. but it has nothing to do with your issue now does it? You do need to have a soundcard that does the "what you hear" in order to pass the output of the card internally back to the input and give you a mixdown of all the tracks to one track.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
silvertones #131716 10/25/11 01:00 PM
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
John,

Yes - you can use VST plugins in most hosts both during mixdown/playback, as well as while recording, even though the effect isn't 'printed to tape'. ASIO with low latency is the key.

For example, you can do this with gain changes in most hosts, but it's a virtual gain change, instead of a destructive gain change. You can now do it in PG products with envelopes. But only recently. Most time that people talk about gain change here at PG, they are talking about the destructive (read: permanent) gain change made on a file.

And the recommendation for Kjaerhus classic series of plugins is mine but has been echoed here on PG forums by rharv and others time and again.

Whether someone uses these or PG's or others is beside the point. The main point of the 4 pages of discussion is actually that monitoring of effects in mixdown is very important. This is not what Eddie was doing. He was about to go spend a little bit of coin on a solution that would have been much more complicated than just mixing in the box. And still have questionable results in the end.

This was the nugget quote from the whole 4 pages: ""I can't EQ to save my soul in Real Band, but that is mainly because it isn't real time. If I can move sliders while I listen, I do a much better job. ""

rockstar_not #131717 10/25/11 01:55 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Scott,
The point I tried to make was that Eddie never even tried to use the PG plug-ins ( EQ )in real time. If he had he would have found out they are just fine and CAN be monitored while playing back or doing a mix-down. I am not at all debating the difference in quality of PG vs Kjaerhus as I've never used them. I'm debating the Statement that PG is not real time . They are.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
silvertones #131718 10/25/11 02:48 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Now maybe what he REALLY means is the ability to listen to the track, be making EQ fader moves,play the track back and have those faders move as recorded.This is automation.Whole other story. As I type this though I realize it can't be what he's after as I doubt he has an automated HW EQ.
Yes being able to go through your tracks and automate all the VST effects moves is wonderful. Once your happy you can just let her fly and have your mix print all by itself. PG effects are not automated.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
silvertones #131719 10/26/11 05:29 AM
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Perhaps Eddie has only found the older, non-realtime plugins in the Edit menu and does not know that the realtime plugins are accessible via the DX plugin routine...

--Mac

Mac #131720 10/26/11 06:41 AM
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
My last post for this thread.

Eddie, you keep referring to your 'foghorn' voice, etc. and how you want to change it via EQ.

I'm afraid that this is going to be quite impossible to do.

Here's an analogy to keep in mind:

When you receive a phone call from a close relative or friend, is there any doubt as to who the person is on the other end of the line?

Usually not. What is remarkable, is that the bandwidth of telephone audible transmission is much more narrow than what you have available with your recorded voice, but the mojo of the voice, it's character and nature comes through loud and clear in a telephone conversation - even with it's limited bandwidth, and sharp resonances and valleys, distortions from crappy speakers and mics, etc. Like old AM transistor radio frequency content but worse.

Your voice is your voice. You can EQ it till the cows come home and it will still sound like your voice.

I listened to your recordings and in most of them, you have a clean recording, with little evidence of room resonances showing up in them that EQ can help to fix. A little high-pass filtering would be all that is necessary to take some of the low end out for clarity in a few spots.

Think of the most popular, lasting bands that have been in pop-music in the last 40-50 years.

Beatles, Stones, Alabama, U2, Rascal Flatts, (insert your favorite here) etc. etc. etc. Have ANY of them, had a singer with a beautiful voice? I mean Tormé Velvet Fog quality. Some of the R&B vocal combo groups did actually have great singers in them, but in R&R and C&W, for the most part there's a whole spectrum of what would be considered crummy solo singers by voice quality alone. Think of favorite local bands - same story I'm guessing. Very, very few pop/rock/C&W bands or even pop solo acts rest on laurels of great voice quality.

In listening to the recordings, I do think there's probably a little bit of room for you with vocal technique. But that's just to my ear. You need to decide precisely what it is about your voice that irritates you. Here's a wild idea:

1. Take the $200 you were going to spend on the MOTU units and the $50-100 you would likely spend on decent cables to hook it all up, set that money aside.

2. Burn a home-made CD of your recordings.

3. Find a local, recommended voice coach/teacher

4. Find out how many voice lessons $300 would pay for. I'm guessing you will get 5-8 lessons out of that. In the first visit with the coach, use that CD and while listening, point out what it is that bothers YOU to the coach. If you can't verbalize it to the coach, it's going to be very difficult to either process it out of the music, or teach it out of your technique. You might find that to be a very difficult process, but it is central to being able to change what irritates you about your recorded voice.

The reason I recommend this last process is that the coach might want to train your technique to what suits him/her, and you could still end up disappointed. You need to be able to verbalize what it is, at specific moments and phrases, that sounds irritating to your ear. If you can point out something like: "Here, when I sing the word 'really', I don't like how nasal it sounds" to yourself or to the coach, then the voice lessons will be kind of a waste.

In fact, you don't even have to do this with a coach. Take one of your recordings (one without alot of outboard processing) and critically listen to it bar by bar. Write out notes like the one above. When you are able to do that, go spend some coin on the voice lesson #1.

Getting voice lessons is nothing to be ashamed of. No more shame than taking guitar lessons, drum lessons, etc.

And by the way, at least with Sinatra and Bennett, the key there is their technique and ability to smoothly slide in and out of notes with their own identifiable flair. Neither of their voices is particularly rich. EQ had very little to do with their success. My High School choir teacher abhorred Sinatra (at least back in my day) as exactly what they would try to teach out of our technique. He used the term derogatorily as in 'Hey, Sinatra, hit the note at the beginning, not 3/4 of the way into it!'

Think of your fave Sinatra phrases from his entire discography. I'll lay money there's a serious slide involved. Whether it's: "Come ffffffllllllllllyyyyyy with me", or "New Yooooooorrrrrrrkkk" For examples of a slide up and a slide down, Sinatra was the master of that and made it cool.

If that's what you're shooting for, a good vocal coach can help you learn how to do that - maybe not with the same flair, but at least get you close.

Just another 2 cents.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,396
Posts732,516
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 193