Print Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
rockstar_not #131721 10/26/11 07:50 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Scott,
What you said here is why in another thread I asked to hear Eddie's singing. I never got to listen because of dialup however the point I'm making is that you can't make a poor voice good with equipment. I concur that voice lessons is money well spent. Eddie I didn't listen to you so I'm just going on what Scott is saying. Think back to when you first started playing horns. It took time ,practice & probably some coaching. The voice is the same.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
rockstar_not #131722 10/26/11 08:08 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Mac, as usual you are right on target again. I did not know you could load the PG graphic EQ as a VST plug in. This is part of the continuing education of old school Eddie who still uses an A/DA flanger and wishes my Echoplex hadn't broken. I have yet to wrap myself around the term "DAW", opting for "Sequencer", and I still think of VSTs as "soft synths". Like my soft synth B3, my soft synth Prophet 5.... Much the same way I don't believe in "previously titled automobiles", though I have owned used cars.... The concpet of the VST plugin was lost on me until this thread. I know to load "the synth rack" in Sonar, which is the same as loading VST instruments, but in different terms. This same old school thinking is why I prefer to mix on a mixer and not on a screen.

Scott, as far as "my foghorn voice", I just don't like that I am so nasal, but you are maybe the 5th person to point out the reality that I can't sound like anybody else but me, and the quest for good EQ was not so much to change anything about my timbre, but to make me sound less like I am singing through a Pringles can, or ne of those Swedish horns on the Ricola commercials.... Actually it is when I ADD any EQ to my vocal tracks looking for that perfect, ear pleasing texture is when they go bad. I am just that over achiever type who always wants mo' betta.....

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
eddie1261 #131723 10/27/11 08:06 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Eddie, I have said to you several times in these various threads of yours that you need to get some education in modern digital recording. Just saying you're "old school" and then spending a couple paragraphs explaining to us what that means in not helpful. Most of us here are around the same age, we know what old school means.

The common thread running through your posts is you spend days, weeks running down the wrong hallway looking for the bathroon because you have not done the basic reading you need to do to learn this stuff. I've explained in detail to you the difference between VSTi's (i means instrument) and VST (plugin) and the fact that DXi is similar. For about the third time I think I'm recommending to you to visit Mac's Audiominds website, click on the Getting Started button in the upper left and start reading. Everybody knows him on these forums, he's a pro, one of the few who actually makes siginificant money as a recording engineer and music producer. He's a great place to start your education and there's ton's of other websites on the web.

If you don't start doing that some of us are going to start giving up on you.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
jazzmammal #131724 10/29/11 09:40 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Wrap up post on this thread..... I have my 2 MOTU 2408s and the card installed in the computer. It starts to get ugly right here.

The MOTU PCI-324 card is a standard PCI form factor with the key notch toward the back, indicating it is a 3.3v card. (There's always a "however", isn't there?) However, the power requirement for this card, per MOTU, is 5v. Okay, so Eddie downloads a diagnostic tool, specs out his existing motherboard, and sees it is 3.3v across the PCI bus, as I expected. So then Eddie decided it was probably time to update that box anyway. The snag is that buying a new PC will see that new computer equipped with PCIe slots, which have the key notch in the front, the wrong form factor for the card. Off to the computer store I go. Bought a new motherboard, which they SWORE had 5v PCI slots, and I asked 4 times. That also meant that the existing Socket A CPU I had would not fit the new board, so I moved from an AMD 1.5g to an Intel 3g dual core. It also meant that the DDR RAM on the old board wouldn't fit, so I added 2gb of new RAM. Brought it all home, put it in the case, figured that a fresh install of Windows wouldn't hurt, so I did that as well. Loaded the drivers for the PCI-324 card. Shut down, disconnected power, put on static strap, installed the card.

Nothing.

Doesn't even detect it.

So I loaded that same diagnostic tool and ran it and find that the PCI slots are 3.3v despite the assurance that they were 5v. Got onto the MOTU web site and started doing even more research. It seems that the wonderful folks at MOTU buried two bits of very pertinent information. That card will not work with any RAM as new or newer than DDR, and will never work with a dual core processor. And here comes the "got 'em where we want 'em" part of the entertainment. Seems that they will be more than happy to take my card and $295 in trade and send me the PCI-424 which WILL work with DDR RAM and the dual core CPU. More reading revealed that the 324 card was designed like 12 years ago before anybody perceived that there would be double data rate RAM and dual core processors in PC class computers, so it was never designed to handle that configuration. I did make mention of one very specific thing in one of my 4 emails to MOTU, that being the fact that if the form factor is 3.3v industry standard it might be a good idea to make the card function on 3.3v. Just sayin'.....

So, for right now, I have 2 MOTU 2408s, 2 digital reverbs and a compressor all mounted in a nice new desktop rack, just waiting for the time I can come up with $300 to buy the new card to plug into my nice new computer. And a forced "Oh well, there's nothing I can do about it right now" smile on my face.... knowing that the only way this card will work is if I go backwards to SDRAM and an old single core CPU. This is my fault for not researching BEFORE buying used equipment from a guy on the other coast....

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,398
Posts732,546
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199