Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#132090 10/27/11 02:23 PM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thought best to start fresh with current problem versus rehashing where we have been. However, if you are new to this and give a hoot, or if you have forgotten, here is where we left off:

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=334310&an=0&page=1#Post334310

Created a subdirectory - Gig Favorites using BLT, in order to work on selected songs which I will have some vocal component and want BIAB to control Harmonies in the VLT. These songs need a Midi Melody track converted to Audio and they need to have the DXi softsynth disabled so MIDI does not get redirected to DXi.

First Problem - when I render the midi melody it does not incorporate any of the F5 Bar Settings and just plays the melody over every verse. I had to fix this in my DAW to play only over the first and last chorus of my arrangement. OK, I can work with this.

Second Problem - While BIAB now sends MIDI to my VLT - based on the settings in the Pref-OutPutChords, it only works for the first chorus! This is a show stopper since it does not continue to send MIDI over the final chorus. If I Edit-Unfold (Convert to 1-Chorus) it then sends MIDI for the entire tune. But then none of the F5 bar settings are followed... What’s with that??

Here I go again… I know, I am doing it to myself.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
So if I am following what you want to do is:

1. Use BIAB as your live accompnient.
2. Have it drive the harmony notes that the VLT will create.

Is that correct? I assume that you are trying to do this with the MP3 aux on the back and feeding an audio signal or are you trying to feed it midi?

I thought on the TC products you could set the scale and feed it any MP3 or audio track and get it to recognize and produce melody.

Thanks,

Terry

TerryB

Windows 10, Dell 8700 XPS i7, 12MB Ram.
DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

So if I am following what you want to do is:

1. Use BIAB as your live accompnient.
2. Have it drive the harmony notes that the VLT will create.

Is that correct? I assume that you are trying to do this with the MP3 aux on the back and feeding an audio signal or are you trying to feed it midi?

I thought on the TC products you could set the scale and feed it any MP3 or audio track and get it to recognize and produce melody.

Thanks,

Terry

You got it right with items 1 and 2.

However, while the VLT is very versitile and has multiple options for inputs to drive harmony, I wanted what I felt would be the best input option, MIDI from BIAB. Heck, BIAB has a feature specifically for this exact purpose where it outputs midi triads and simple extensions to drive vocal harmonizers. And since the VLT is the Sound Device, I selected to input the MIDI to the VLT via the USB.

In my mind the VLT is not limiting me at all, it is just the hoops I have to jump through to work with BIAB in this circumstance. My arrangementss are already fully arranged BIAB backings which I have used for several years - having to make significant changes to redo the arrangemetns to work with the VLT is not what I expected nor what I want to do, but alas....

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
I think you should try a reboot and then a Return to Factory Settings and then see if your F5 commands are recognized. One step at a time...

--Mac

DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

I think you should try a reboot and then a Return to Factory Settings and then see if your F5 commands are recognized. One step at a time...

--Mac

Will do Mac, good suggestion, ...but I find that the arrangements I make using F5 - who plays what when,- do not always work well with other features. My guess is F5 was a later generation addition to the program and is not fully integrated with all other features. But what do I know?

I'll let you know one way or the other.

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
F5 seems to be working okay here, if that's any help.

--Mac

DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

F5 seems to be working okay here, if that's any help.

--Mac

1) Load the BIAB file into RB and all the arrangements made using F5 will be lost.

2) Use the UnFold to 1 single chorus feature and all the arrangements made using F5 will be lost.

3) Output midi to a specific channel using OutputChords feature and it will only work on the first chorus, unless you Unfold to 1 single chorus, at which point refer to #2.

Your milage may vary...

Am I starting to sound like Eddie... (no offense my friend, just you and I do speak up when we are having issues.)

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Didn't catch it that RB was involved.

Since RB is going to lay things out Sequencer fashion, things will indeed be different when transferring a song to RB. A lot of those commands are likely tied up in the auto-arrangement code that is part of BB, I think.

--Mac

Veteran
Veteran
Dan sent me a file and indeed in 2011.5 it's the same as he says however the F5 settings do come over but the solo changes do not. I suspect that the solos were not actually done with F5 but through the soloist or the RT medley maker.The song he sent had 5 choruses. I don't know how to get different solos in different choruses.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

Dan sent me a file and indeed in 2011.5 it's the same as he says however the F5 settings do come over but the solo changes do not. I suspect that the solos were not actually done with F5 but through the soloist or the RT medley maker.The song he sent had 5 choruses. I don't know how to get different solos in different choruses.

John, solo changes were indeed done simply with F5 which in BIAB world will put a Solo-RT track into any chorus. That is how I "arrange" my BIAB backings. But these have never gone over properly into RB.

So what F5 setting come over if not the solo-RT tracks. How about just tuning on and off different rhythm tracks. I also use F5 for these and they also don't go over into RB.

Veteran
Veteran
Yea I figured it out while waiting for a reply.So it looks like either redo all you songs.Right! or figure something out. The issue here really boilds down to the fact that you want to use a DXi/VSTi and drive the VLT with the BIAB Send chords feature.
Let me install a HW midi device and see if I can make this work.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hold on, I may have stumbled upon somthing. At this moment everyting APPEARS to be working, with minimum adjustments!!!

I need to be able to "see" what is being sent on Midi Channel 9 to my VLT. Right now I only have the blinking light on the VLT to show me that midi is being received. My problem MAY be that I mute the midi melody channel after Chorus one - but the Melody is Channel 4?? and the OutputChords is sending on Channel 9, So why does the light stop blinking when i mute the melody and then beginning blinking when I unmute it.

It there some way in BIAB that I can actually "see" what is being sent on these individual midi channels.

I am trying to use Piano Roll to view the channels but am very very confussed on what is actually be used for each instrumetn... It seems I need to understand this to really get to the bottom of my problems.

DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

Yea I figured it out while waiting for a reply.So it looks like either redo all you songs.Right! or figure something out. The issue here really boilds down to the fact that you want to use a DXi/VSTi and drive the VLT with the BIAB Send chords feature.
Let me install a HW midi device and see if I can make this work.

I gave up on using the Dxi/VSti. Since only the melody track is midi, all others are RTs, therefore for selected songs which I will sing I have gone to rendering this single track as a wav which BIAB allows me one wav file with each tune. With this I now have all audio tracks. This allows me to direct midi to the VLT for these songs. Problem solved.

I just need to really understand all this midi channel stuff .... a work in progrss.

Veteran
Veteran
OK my findings and this IS messed up. I hooked up my Edirol.I set the "chord output" channel to #1 as that's not being used by any other parts.I loaded an all midi song and hit play. I can hear the chords from channel #1 as they're low in pitch. The weird thing is that if you mute the soloist part it also mutes the "output Chord" part.This should not happen but it does. Now the really bad part. If you have a RT on the soloist part the "chord output" is disabled and doesn't send chords. In Dan's case, or anyone for that matter, just deciding to use all RTs and sending the chords to the VLT WILL NOT WORK if there is a RT on the soloist.I couldn't find a way out of this. Dan your only choice in the matter is to redo all your songs in RB or run your guitar through the VLT.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

1) Load the BIAB file into RB and all the arrangements made using F5 will be lost.

2) Use the UnFold to 1 single chorus feature and all the arrangements made using F5 will be lost.

3) Output midi to a specific channel using OutputChords feature and it will only work on the first chorus, unless you Unfold to 1 single chorus, at which point refer to #2.

Well for those following along, #3 above has been busted. I now have OutputChords feature staying on for all choruses. It appears to be a midi channel thing.

Just wanted to set the record straight.

Veteran
Veteran
BTW what you are seeing IS the midi notes from the melody track and not the "chords output". I've confirmed that hear as I'm using a sound module to test and can hear what's going on.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
John, I appreciate your support and efforts to help me on this, but, until RB gets a dramatic revision:

Quote:

Dan your only choice in the matter is to redo all your songs in RB or run your guitar through the VLT.

NEVER.

I really LOVE BIAB, and my show, as modest as it is, is fully based on BIAB. I will find a way to work this out in BIAB. And when I do, beers will be one me

DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

The weird thing is that if you mute the soloist part it also mutes the "output Chord" part.This should not happen but it does.

This is weird indeed, what I am seeing is that if I mute the melody part the "output chords" also mutes. I figure Melody is on Channel 4 and I assigned "outputchords" to channel 9. But a mute of melody stops the lights from blinking on my VLT. By the way, when I mute the soloist, the light still blinks on the VLT??

Veteran
Veteran
Had to go to town. That's weird for you the melody for me the soloist? I'll set melody to 4 & chords to 9 like you and see what happens. Dan with your song you sent me there no chord data being sent. If I erase the soloist part then I get chords. The lights are blinking on your VLT because it's seeing the melody track.That's midi data as well but not chords.
It isn't going to work as is.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

The lights are blinking on your VLT because it's seeing the melody track.That's midi data as well but not chords.

Oh shi###t, thats bad....

I will attempt to confirm at my end. I have an Old Kawai GMega External GM Synth which I am bringing out of the closet now to see if I can hear ezactly what Midi is going where. If I understand you, then the "outputchords" feature in BIAB is not working from an independent channel as it claims.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,389
Posts732,446
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi, mmpartee
38,439 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195