Go To
Off-Topic
C
carkins Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
C
Has anyone been using the Presonus Studio One 2 Artist DAW?

I'm currently using Realband for processing and mixdown and am "getting there" but wondered how the Presonus Artist One 2 DAW stacked up.

Any easier for mixing, any additional features?
Is it worth the extra $100?

The reason I'm considering is that Presonus has the Melodyne (which I have) support as an add on feature (Control+M brings it up in the window) built in.
Any chance PG will implement that as well?

Lots of questions,too few brain cells.
Carkins

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
There is a 30 day free download demo of the Presonus Studio One V2 avialable which I have been "plyaing" with. Teh integration of Melodyn directly into the audio editing is truely cutting edge next generation stuff. My understanding is that this will only be available in the Studio 1v2 for some time to come based on a license agreement. Ohter that this incredible feature, the DAW does seem to have some nice features. I got it up and running reasonable quickly so it seems to be well laid out and somewhat intuitive if you have DAW experience. It does claim to have a whole seperate module for mastering. I do have a lot of time invested in Reaper so I am not quick to move to another DAW, but for the ARA of Melodyn alone it is certainly tempting.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I thought it was too good to be true to get melodyne as part of a $99 package... looks like the integrated melodyne only comes with the more expensive version.

http://studioone.presonus.com/what-are-the-versions/

with artist you get a trial version.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Some more clarity on the subject:

Studio One Professional includes a fully licensed copy of Melodyne Essential. Studio One Artist and Producer come with the Melodyne trial version. However, if you already own a copy of Melodyne Essential, Assistant, or Editor version 1.3 (a free upgrade from Celemony) or later, you can use it with Studio One Artist, Producer, or Professional and it will integrate perfectly, with all of the capability of your Melodyne version intact (including the Direct Note Access technology in Melodyne Editor).

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Some more clarity on the subject:

Studio One Professional includes a fully licensed copy of Melodyne Essential. Studio One Artist and Producer come with the Melodyne trial version. However, if you already own a copy of Melodyne Essential, Assistant, or Editor version 1.3 (a free upgrade from Celemony) or later, you can use it with Studio One Artist, Producer, or Professional and it will integrate perfectly, with all of the capability of your Melodyne version intact (including the Direct Note Access technology in Melodyne Editor).

that *IS* cool
Its the shape of things to come in audio editing.

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
The artist version is seriously crippled in that it does not allow the use of any external plugins. That you have to pay for that basic functionality is cruel joke.

Off-Topic
Journeyman
Online Content
Journeyman
The Studio One Artist version does have a lot of very good native plugins although some might miss any VSTi they have.

Brian Cadoret
BIAB 2024 Pro with BIAB2023 UltraPAK build 1111. Samplitude Pro X4 Suite. Mixcraft 10.5 Pro Studio
Focusrite 2i2 Scarlett
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3470 CPU @ 3.20GHz 3.20 GHz
Installed RAM 8.00 GB

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

The artist version is seriously crippled in that it does not allow the use of any external plugins. That you have to pay for that basic functionality is cruel joke.

Agreed, this is absolutely unacceptable from a marketing perspective - the VST is an industry standard. Unexpecting newbees will be very dissappointed and it will backfire on the company to hold back such a standard option.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I bought S1 Artist when it was at a crazy 'show' price a few months ago and had a play around with it when I was feeling disillusioned about Sonar's new X1, which was badly flawed on launch and difficult to learn after their previous incarnations.

I've now upgraded to the new S1 Version 2 Pro 64 bit for one reason: Melodyne only works in my Sonar X1 as a plugin for about five minutes before freezing and crashing Sonar. I've failed to get any help at all from Celemony or Cakewalk so had no option but to do this so I can import a rough backing mix and a vocal track to work on the latter, then return that vocal track to Sonar.

Now that I'm a bit used to S1 my view is that is it NO way as comprehensive as Sonar, but is glitzy and smooth at what it does. If you're a heavy MIDI user, like me, you won't like it as it squarely aimed at the modern audio user. It would be a step up from RealBand except for the MIDI issue.

Songs web site
YouTube Channel
BIAB 2019
Cakewalk by BandLab
Studio One 4
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
There is no one stop solution to every possible need, or as Mac always said a swiss army knife of DAW software. Studio one may integrate Melodyne, and that is great, but i can use Melodyne as a stand alone and import the results into any other DAW. RB on the other hand is the ONLY daw to include RealTracks and Real Drums, and all you can do with that system. Sonar does not do that, and Reaper does not do that. I have all of them except Studio One, which i do not need just for ARA implementation. I can wait till one of my other DAWs includes that. Heck the time i lose moving the file out and back in will be lost in setting up, and learning a new system.

Heck I am fast realizing that i can do almost anything in RB. I have done songs in RB, and moved them to Sonar X1, Multitrackstudio, and Reaper, for finishing. Guess what they all did a fine job at the project, but guess what else?!? The version finished in RB sounded just as good.

It keeps being said here and elsewhere! It ain't the tools, it is the carpenter.

This conversation is going on at every Forum on the web right now, is xxxx better that yyyy?

No not really just different. another fact is that so much of this depends on the user, the skill level, and the computer system. All during the Sonar craziness, there were people screaming that it was fatally flawed, at the same time others had zero problems. Over at Reaper they were experiencing virtually the same issue. A few less bugs, but i tried Reaper for a couple years and all it did was crash my system, yet others swore by it. I finally bought version 4, and guess what it is fine. What ever did not work well with my comp, was either fixed or something. I bought Sonar X1, and guess what i have yet to have a crash that was not caused by a third party plug, and those have been very few. I still use MTS, guess what it is still rock solid, but there are a couple things i wish were different, or that work different. Over all they all work fine.

RB needs about two things in my mind. 1. revamped VSTi handling 2. upgraded automation node based system. There are a few more but that is true of all systems

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Very well said Rob. I frequent some hardware keyboard forums and people continually say I have this 4 year old Korg, Roland, Kurzweil whatever and wow, the new one is so cool it can do this, and this and this etc. I will post do you know your current board will do that and that and that but it's true, the new one does have this? Is it worth it to spend another two grand just for that?

Same point. Don't even think about upgrading until you can write a book about and start posting on these forms as an expert on what you already have. Sometimes I'll post a Youtube link of a famous keyboard player like Herbie Hancock and it's several years old so he's playing on maybe a 10 year old keyboard. Does he sound like crap? Of course not. One of my favorites is him with Pat Matheny doing Canteloupe Island and Herbie has a DX7 sitting on top of that old Roland/Rhodes hybrid thing from 20 years ago and this is a fairly recent concert.

I admit it's fun throwing your money around and playing with new stuff but is it really necessary for what you do?

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Bob, your point about hardware is so true. I have a 15 year old SkilSaw, and ya know what it cuts just as straight of a line as a brand new Hitachi with a fangdangled laser guide.

I love the concept of the new Presonus boards that have fat channel, and all these cool features, but hey i don't really need them, i can track just fine with either my Delta PCI card or my Tasacam US 800.

The trick is to get the tracks down and then mix them, and master them.

I kinda chuckled the other day when the Studio one/Melodyne news hit the fan. I read on the Reaper forum, the Sonar forum, and i even posted it here just to see the reaction to it. People were musing left and right whether they should jump ship at all these places and run with Studio one!!

Wow really, so in 6 months if Sonar and Reaper chose to add ARA, then what? What if Reaper, or Sonar add some other feature that Studio one does not have? Jump back?

So what happens is that we end up with about four or five different softwares that we have to keep current and it is a constant battle to pay for all this "progress"

Everyone keeps calling it "workflow" but really it is more like cash flow! You can take any one of the DAW programs and find something unique about them that the other companies don't have, so no matter which program you use you will always have some feature, or option that is missing. Never mind that there are workarounds for all of them, they are seen as "show stoppers". I speak from experience, i have bought most of them before, i was always in search of the "perfect" DAW.

My hope is that over the next one or two version upgrades, BiaB, and therefore RB will fix the two or three little nagging issues that are needed, cause i would like to settle in to that since that is where i seem to always start from, and just stay there.

Actually i would like to see as i mentioned above the VSTi issues fixed. Make it so that plugins like jamstix, melodyne, and such that need some kind of tempo lock, can work flawlessly. Next upgrade the automation where volume, panning, and effects an be automated with a node based setup like cakewalk. Add to that a "takes" system for setting up folders and such in RB. Do a few stability fixes where there are not as many violations, and corruptions of files, and this system would be killer. I would most likely not upgrade a few of my others then, and rather spend my money here and on some really top flight mastering VSTs.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Rob,

Agree with nearly all of your points except that the VST handling issues with PG products are not limited to VSTi but also to VST. I used several delays, autofilters, etc. that lock to tempo, but won't do it in PG products.

I mix via automation these days - have done so for many years now. Not just volume and panning, but every controllable aspect of VST and VSTi plugins I will hit with automation curves at some point. One popular one that I do is fixing sustain pedal farts that I did in a 'live' take. So easy to do graphically.

I also like to change cutoff and resonance frequencies of some filters that I use - makes for really interesting stuff with ambient guitar tracks. All done via drawing in curves in automation.

We've been asking for the tempo locking thing to get fixed for several years now. I'm guessing it must take a whole re-write of the audio engine in PG products or else they would have attacked it correctly by now. I would gladly return to the PG fold if VST/VSTi handling was 'direct' instead of faked through DX, and if automation was complete like in most other DAW software.

Off-Topic
C
carkins Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
C
Good point about the Artist version lacking VST support, another $100 to get that with the Professional version.
Believe I'll try to learn all that RB can do before adding another learning curve to my already long To Do List.

Have to remember that all those promo videos look so good because they actually know what they're doing.
Sort of like Norm remodeling a house in 30 minutes.

Maybe PG will surprise us in the next update.

Thanks for all the input.
Keep it coming.

Carkins

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Maybe PG will surprise us in the next update.

Carkins

which is coming up soon....

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
RS N, i agree. I have many plugs that do not work due to Tempo Lock. i would love to see that fixed as well. I use MTS or even sometimes Sonar for that stuff, since it works for me. But my point is that i wish i could just stick with one. The other point is that for most folks much of that is not really necessary anyway. Some of the stuff you are talking about most don't use.

I also use a lot of automation, and while it is mostly volume, and panning, effects are on my list to learn to automate soon. I know RB automates the basics, but even that is clunky at best.

I want to get whee i can upgrade only one or two systems. One program i an surprised that more people do not use is the Multitrackstudio setup from bremmer's audio. it is deeper and better than people give it credit for. automation is pretty good, and it handles VST, and VSTi like a champ.

I find that between it and RB i can get a lot done.

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Well, Tracktion 3 Ultimate Bundle was $19 back in January. While it's abandonware, it still rocks the box with workflow for my brain. Most people used to looking at a bunch of different windows simply do not like it. It's most often compared to Apple Logic. I use only one DAW. Haven't gotten into any auto-generated accompaniment except for Jamstix.

-Scott

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Quote:

Don't even think about upgrading until you can write a book about and start posting on these forms as an expert on what you already have.

Really?

i5 3.20GHz, 32gb RAM, 1tb SSD OS, 12tb HDD, 4gb gForce vid card, 32" monitor, Audient id44, Win10 x64, BiaB/RB 2023, Reaper 6,IK Multimedia Total Studio 3.5 MAX, Waves 10
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I can't write a book. My allowance for gear exceeds my patience to max out what I have.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,608
Posts735,037
Members38,515
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01, Juan Jose, BroDon
38,515 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 186