Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
RealBand
pwarren Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
I have a nice reggae mix I want to output to file. Using 'Merge tracks to stereo wave file' I get a wav file as I should. However, when I load it back into RB for some final tweaking I get a message 'the track is stereo audio. The file is mono. Do you want to convert the track to mono?'.

This is a real puzzler to me. First, this has never happened before. Second, the merge command specifies stereo output.

Is there some setting I may have changed? Or is there some other issue I might have missed.

I really spent quite a while serching the prefs and help files and I can't figure out what's wrong. Any ideas?

BiaB 2013 b366, RB 2013 b4, WinXP Pro SP3, Toshiba M70, 1.8GHz 2GB RAM 100GB HD. Focusrite Saffire 6 USB, Ketron SD2.BiaB Wiki
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
In Preferences - General what is your default track type? Someone else mentioned this issue recently and I couldn't duplicate it ..
Try changing default track type to MIDI before opening the file and see what happens.

If you right-click the track and select properties, what is the bitrate?

Last edited by rharv; 11/14/11 11:09 AM.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
RealBand
pwarren Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
In Preferences - General what is your default track type?

It's set to Audio-Stereo.

Try changing default track type to MIDI before opening the file and see what happens.

I'll give that a try. I'm guessing you mean that RB outputs the file as stereo but the error is occuring during the import? In other words the file is truly stereo but RB thinks it's mono. If so I hope PGMusic can clear this up in the next patch.

BiaB 2013 b366, RB 2013 b4, WinXP Pro SP3, Toshiba M70, 1.8GHz 2GB RAM 100GB HD. Focusrite Saffire 6 USB, Ketron SD2.BiaB Wiki
RealBand
pwarren Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert

Bitrate is 44.1KHz.

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Yes, I was wondering if the new 'default Track type' was causing an issue with importing audio.

Have you tried to both Open the file in RB and Import the file (Audio-Import wave file)? Any difference?
Like I said, I can't seem to duplicate it here, but I have heard of the issue once before.

Maybe even try right-clicking the file name and choose 'Open with .." then find RB to open it with. Just shooting for anything that may help locate the issue.

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Bitrate is 44.1KHz.

Stereo?

RealBand
pwarren Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Ok, I misunderstood.

The bitrate is 705kbps
channels 1
16 bit, 44KHz

So the output is mono which it should not be. The problem lies with the output.

RealBand
pwarren Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
The problem is with the merge routine. It is outputting a mono file. It worked in the past so I just don't know what might have changed.

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Thats good troubleshooting. Thanks
At this point I'd email support and ask them what may have changed, link this thread, and see if they can help sort it out. You are not the only one this has happened to.

I'll continue to try to find the source, but I suspect that something chnged in RB for some users.

RealBand
L
Veteran
Veteran
L
I have my default Track setting as Midi as I prefer the ability to contol the Wave inputs. If the Merged File is Imported and the Track type is Midi or Audio-Mono then you are asked to choose either Stereo or Mono and if the latter then you a further option to split the Mono Wave into two tracks. If your Track Type is set for Stereo then no options are provided. I believe that the default setting for Track Type is Stereo and would be better set to Midi.

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
His problem is not with the importing of the file; he used Merge Audio and DXi to stereo wave file command and got a mono file as the output.

pwarren; are you *sure* you used the correct command? Did you duplicate it with a second effort?

RealBand
pwarren Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
pwarren; are you *sure* you used the correct command? Did you duplicate it with a second effort?

Yes. I duplicated it several times.

Today I tried something different. I ran RB from the portable HD on a different PC. In this configuration the output was a stereo wav file as it should be. So the problem lies with my installation on my music PC.

Now that I think about it, just before I noticed the problem I got the BSOD while trying to merge to a compressed file using the LAME encoder. When I re-booted I elected to NOT restore the default settings (since it shouldn't have mattered). This seems the most likely culprit although how that could have changed the output to mono on a permenant basis I don't know.

So now I just need to find the best way to restore the functionality. I can't remember if there's a return to factory settings in RB or whether there's some ini files to remove. I'm sure a forum search will help here. As a last resort I can re-install.

All in all it seems a very strange issue. It would be nice to have it fixed but since it seems to involve third party software it might be near impossible for someone else to duplicate.

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Normally it's RB.CFG and realband.ini

There are settings inside the ini file that I'm the type to look at and edit, but don't recommend it to normal users. Looking at the entries it is often easy to figure out what they stand for. Renaming these two files should cause RB to recreate them. You'll have to re-set things up afterwards though, like soundcard driver etc

Last edited by rharv; 11/15/11 01:42 PM.

RealBand
pwarren Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Thanks rharv that saves me some searching. I'll look through the ini file and see if I can find any settings that might be causing the problem. The strange thing is that there is no option to pick mono output, afterall the command is 'merge to stereo'. If there is no option then I don't know how the change can persist after a re-boot.

Anyway, I'm sure I'll track it down eventually and I'll definately post the fix so anyone else in the same boat can fix it too.

RealBand
pwarren Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Well I got it working properly again. I couldn't find anything in the ini file that controls the output channels. However, by trying to merge tracks to compressed file and making sure I had chosen a stereo codec I got RB to output a stereo wav file before crashing again (it can't seem to generate the compressed file).

After re-booting the PC I chose to load the default settings and after that the merge tracks to wav command is working properly and giving a stereo file. Unfortunately that doesn't tell me whether it was the LAME encoder that caused the problem or whether some setting, or corruption, in the ini or cfg files caused the problem.

Anyway, it's working. Now I have to figure out why RB can't use the LAME encoder without crashing.

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Here, when I had Lame installed in XP, it showed up in the RB list as it's own item, separate from mp3 list. How are you installing the Lame codec? I need to get it onto the new system and haven't tried yet in Win7. I've just been using wma for now.

Glad it's working now anyway.

RealBand
pwarren Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Quote:

Here, when I had Lame installed in XP, it showed up in the RB list as it's own item, separate from mp3 list. How are you installing the Lame codec? I need to get it onto the new system and haven't tried yet in Win7. I've just been using wma for now.

Glad it's working now anyway.

I installed the ACM version of lame located here. It showed up in the RB list as it's own item, as you mentioned. That's as it's supposed to if you read the referenced page above.

However, it doesn't work in RB. After selecting 'Merge Tracks to Compressed file' the popup dialog asks you what codec to use. I select Lame mp3 and an appropriate bitrate etc. and click Ok. The progress dialog comes up indicating the wav file is being converted. Then I get an error message saying 'can't get stream.size'. When I click Ok I get another message saying error in module lameenc.acm. At this point RB is basically locked up and must be closed using the task manage if the BSOD doesn't happen.

It's a real pain in the butt. I want a good mp3 codec since the windows supplied codec doesn't offer any better than 56kbps.

Are there any other free mp3 codecs that do work with RB?

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
That was my experience also with that installer. Thanks for the confirmation.

RealBand
pwarren Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
BiaB behaves exactly the same as RB with the LAME encoder. It renders the wav file then attempts to convert it at which point it crashes and you have to use the task manager to close the program.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,612
Posts735,106
Members38,516
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01, Juan Jose, BroDon
38,515 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185