You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#133882 - 12/25/11 08:07 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Good Headphones! [Re: Kemmrich]
RobbMiller Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Midwest
Quote:

I paid $48.87 on-line at B&H photo, so I know I got a good price.

I'd buy two at that price, love mine!

#133883 - 12/25/11 10:21 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Good Headphones! [Re: RobbMiller]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

Kevin,

I love mine but I've been using them for quite a while now. My personal opinion is it does take a bit of adjusting to them at first especially if the phones you were previously using were more bass boosting.

Bob,

Where did you get the replacement ear pads? Thanks.

#133884 - 12/25/11 11:08 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Good Headphones! [Re: Sundance]
jcspro40 Offline
Expert

Loc: Ohio-USA
I'm not sure about Bob, but I went to THIS PAGE and then contacted support for a cable & the ear pads....which cost me as much with shipping as the headphones did!

I got my from ZZounds as a scratch & dent item for $35 shipped about 2 years ago....
Custom Core2Quad 3.2Ghz, 8gb memory, 1gb nVidia dual monitor card, 1tb OS HDD, 2 2gb Internal HDD, 8tb External HDD, dual LG 27" Monitors, Win7 x64 Ultimate, BiaB/RB 2017, Reaper 4.75, Mixbus 32C, IK Multimedia / iZotope / Plug & Mix VST-VSTi Collections

#133885 - 12/25/11 11:30 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Good Headphones! [Re: jcspro40]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

Hey jcspro40 thanks!

#133886 - 12/26/11 09:00 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Good Headphones! [Re: Sundance]
silvertones Offline
Veteran

Josie,
DAVE WEBB
Parts and Repair Coordinator
P 330.686.2600 ext. 2730
F 330.686.6277
Audio-Technica U.S., Inc.
1221 Commerce Drive, Stow, Ohio 44224
dwebb@atus.com
$10.16 including shipping.
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"

#133887 - 12/27/11 04:53 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Good Headphones! [Re: silvertones]
Producer Yoda Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Santa Barbara, CA
Hello Everyone,

Here is something I posted on another thread about headphone use. Its just my 2 cents worth but I thought it might be relevant.

- - - - - -

A good STUDIO Headphone is an ABSOLUTE MUST !! Buy one that was DESIGNED for STUDIO use and spend at least $100 on one or as much as you can afford. AVOID consumer and DJ models. Average consumer models are usually NOT designed with a flat frequency response. DJ models have a heavy hump in frequencies that help you hear the headphone in a loud ambient environment . . . like a night club. My personal choice is a Sony 7509. I know this headphone intimately because I've used this model for many years.

Everyone can hear. There are far fewer number of us who has LEARNED TO LISTEN. Yes, CRITICAL listening ability IS AN ACQUIRED TALENT . . . and it takes as much time, effort and PRACTICE to develop this talent as it takes to become a good guitarist.

Everything we have ever heard in our life time is a result of the sound source and ITS REACTION to the environment. This is the difference WHY you sound different in the bathroom compared to the living room.

If you do not have a properly "treated" Listening room (where you mix your music), the headphone eliminates the "environment" to a minimum. The only "environment" left is the air space between the headphone diver and your eardrum.

Each HEADPHONE sounds different . . . even within the same "model number". The more you pay . . . the less are the minor difference within a "model number". Flatter response you get from a good pair of headphone is usually not as pleasing as listening to a nice stereo system. This is because the "pleasing environment" we are used to has been eliminated. "Consumer" headphones have built-in EQ curve to replicate the "missing environment". So, if you mix to a "consumer" headphone and you play the result in your stereo system, some areas of the EQ curve can become over or under emphasized.

Once you buy your "reference" headphone, its time to start the learning process. This is a LEARNING process and it requires many hours of listening. You need "REFERENCE TRACKS". You need to select CD tracks from your CD collection that you think they SOUND great to you. These tracks don't necessarily be one that you are fond of . . . just the ones with production quality you want to emulate. These reference tracks should contain a wide range of genre. Include few examples from Orchestral music like Movie soundtracks to solo acoustic instruments and everything in between. If you decide to burn a reference CD, make sure you do in a WAV. file format so there are no digital compression is involved.

Now its time to spend MANY HOURS of LISTENING. Concentrate on trying to isolate and listen to each instrument or an area of frequency range. Learn to listen in parts of the sound as well as the whole. eventually you will learn YOUR headphone's sound and begin to trust it.

It is often helpful to listen to a reference track while mixing to check your progress. If the production quality of you mix comes close the the production quality on your reference track . . . then the audio CD you burn should translate well in your stereo system.

If you compare your work against a reference track from a "Big Label CD" . . . through YOUR headphone, then your work should come very close to or equal a commercially produced CD !!

- - - - - - -

I try not to change headphone brands, specially when I've spent many critical listening hours to "learn" my reference headphone.

Several times in the past, when I did some work in large studios, I always had my reference headphone and my reference CDs with me. My headphone was my point of reference during the progress of the project.

Ed Layola

#133888 - 12/27/11 06:07 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Good Headphones! [Re: silvertones]
Kemmrich Offline
Expert

rharv: To answer your question about doing a mix -- no, I really haven't started a mix from scratch with the 40fs' yet. I'll be spending most of January "re-mixing" with some re-recording (plus I have two songs with no vocals/my guitars yet -- just BIAB tracks). I think the 40's will be OK, just got to get used to them. Now, the sennheiser hd280's are on sale at Amazon for $75 and a local store has them for $79. I might pick up a pair today and decide over the next couple of weeks which one to keep. Of course trading the 40's for the 50's is tempting -- but it would feel like stealing since the 50's are $150 everywhere.

flatfoot and sundance (and everyone else): Thanks for chiming in. It might be I just need to get used to them. Of course, maybe the sound "quality" on these 40's are different than other 40's. Hard to know.

Everyone's ears are different. If you ever read through review after review comparing headphones, you will soon find out that all the main headphones have their fans and their detractors.

Thanks,

Kevin

#133889 - 12/27/11 05:09 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Good Headphones! [Re: silvertones]
Kemmrich Offline
Expert

I bought the Sennheiser HD-280 Pro headphones today -- I think they are going back. They are pretty tight around the head and I can't really tell enough difference between them and the 40's to justify keeping them. I did a lot of reading too -- and while the 280's have fans, it has many more detractors. The ATH-M50's seem to be the clear winners (although a lot of folks don't agree).

rharv -- how old are your 50's and what kind of shape are they in? ha, ha!

I am going to do as much listening over the next few days with the 40's to see if I'll keep them. I can always send them back and just wait for the 50's to go on sale.

This is tougher than I expected. I bet if I had just gone ahead and got the Sony MDR7506's, I would have been happy since I have used Sony headphones all along.

Kevin

#133890 - 12/27/11 05:17 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Good Headphones! [Re: Kemmrich]
silvertones Offline
Veteran

Quote:

I bought the Sennheiser HD-280 Pro headphones today -- I think they are going back. They are pretty tight around the head and I can't really tell enough difference between them and the 40's to justify keeping them. I did a lot of reading too -- and while the 280's have fans, it has many more detractors. The ATH-M50's seem to be the clear winners (although a lot of folks don't agree).

rharv -- how old are your 50's and what kind of shape are they in? ha, ha!

I am going to do as much listening over the next few days with the 40's to see if I'll keep them. I can always send them back and just wait for the 50's to go on sale.

This is tougher than I expected. I bet if I had just gone ahead and got the Sony MDR7506's, I would have been happy since I have used Sony headphones all along.

Kevin

Let me see if I can get through to you one more time. The ATH M40fs are accurate headphones that are great for engineers for mixing tracks. You are approaching this like a guy looking for a set of headphones to put on and listen to his favorite music while relaxing. Two different approaches. Nearfield monitors suck to listen to music on.
15.6" Monitor

#133891 - 12/27/11 05:17 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Good Headphones! [Re: Kemmrich]
MitchC Offline
Journeyman

Sony MDR7509 are my phones of choice. Keep trying others but always come back to the Sony

#133892 - 12/27/11 06:09 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Good Headphones! [Re: silvertones]
Kemmrich Offline
Expert

Quote:

Let me see if I can get through to you one more time. The ATH M40fs are accurate headphones that are great for engineers for mixing tracks. You are approaching this like a guy looking for a set of headphones to put on and listen to his favorite music while relaxing. Two different approaches. Nearfield monitors suck to listen to music on.

Yes, I see how my description of my needs can be confusing. I need the best "mixing" headphones I can get in my price range (~$100). The main issue I have with the 40's is that they are a little "tinny" to my ears with not enough bass. Since my mixes sometimes have too much "boom" in them, I am afraid that I will bump the bass too much. Now maybe the sound in the 40's is exactly what I need and I just need to train my ears. However, after reading lots of reviews and threads, the "consensus of opinion" is that the 50's just translate better because the bass mix is more "real". This could be wrong and the 40's could be great for me -- but I am blundering ahead! I am either going to get the 50's or the sony 7506's (or keep the 40's) and be done with it (I can't swing the 7509's right now).

Now everyone says you shouldn't mix with headphones (especially closed-end), but that's what I got right now. I plan to get monitors also (maybe later this year). It looks like that discussion is even more confusing with opinions left and right!

... now I do need a great pair of "listening" headphones too!!!!!!

Kevin

#133893 - 12/27/11 06:50 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Good Headphones! [Re: Kemmrich]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

Hey Kevin,

I hope you'll keep us posted. If you get the 50's and a/b them for yourself with the 40's - I'd be interested in your impressions.

John,

Thanks!!! I'm going to order those replacements.

Josie

#133894 - 12/27/11 07:03 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Good Headphones! [Re: Kemmrich]
rharv Offline
Veteran

Loc: Marysville, Mi. USA
PM your address to me, I was serious, I'd trade the M50's even up. They have very few hours on them, as they are not preferred here by me. About a year old as of now. I'm not going to want to trade back though and pay shipping twice to end up with my original headphones! I hate the coiled cord on them too ..

Edited by rharv (12/27/11 07:04 PM)

#133895 - 12/27/11 08:16 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Good Headphones! [Re: rharv]
jcspro40 Offline
Expert

Loc: Ohio-USA
I also am forced to mix with headphones 70-80% of the time and found that having one of these when using headphones is a HUGE help.They help create a virtual stereo reproduction system and listening room for a more "real feel"...

Isone Pro - After a year of trying out the various headphone room simulators I settled on this VST...IMHO the best out of the bunch. Now this refers to their older one, I have not tried out this new one...

Redline Monitor - I would recommend this 2nd, it colors the sound more than Isone but is still very helpful.

The free hdphx is no longer available at the site I have a link for, but you might be able to locate it with a search. It works & is worth the download....

Use what you got to the best of your ability, and as soon as all the naysayers buy us all some room treatment & REAL monitors then I say use what ya have! ;P
Custom Core2Quad 3.2Ghz, 8gb memory, 1gb nVidia dual monitor card, 1tb OS HDD, 2 2gb Internal HDD, 8tb External HDD, dual LG 27" Monitors, Win7 x64 Ultimate, BiaB/RB 2017, Reaper 4.75, Mixbus 32C, IK Multimedia / iZotope / Plug & Mix VST-VSTi Collections

#133896 - 12/28/11 08:56 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Good Headphones! [Re: jcspro40]
silvertones Offline
Veteran

You really hit the nail on the head. You need to learn how it should sound on your headphones so as to translate properly on various systems. I can't teach you how to mix on a Forum.There's a lot of trial and error.It would be like teaching you to play on this Forum. Can give pointers but you have to do the work.
I've said this before but it's a matter of the content of the mix that makes for proper translation. Think of it as a big soup. Don't tweak each track with EQ etc. individually until you think it sounds good. You need to learn the frequency relationship between instruments.Frequencies add & subtract from each other. If you were making a soup would you but spices on each ingredient until it tastes good,say salt? Of course because after you put all the ingredients into the pot you'd have way to much salt.If your mix has way to much "salt" now what do you do?
So here's an example as it applies to music. The human voice is very much a midrange instrument SO cut some of the midrange on other instruments. It'll clear up that excess midrange sound. Kick Drum & bass. Same thing.Decide which one to cut some of that low end content. Belive me the track may sound off but the MIX will sound right.
15.6" Monitor

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

PG Music News
Beginners Help - Muting the Melody Notation

Visit our Beginners Forum, and you'll notice our amazing Forum Community helping out new program users!

Like this recent post regarding Muting the Melody Notation: http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=458716 - Forum user Matt Finley did a great job of answering the new program user!

Our Beginners Forum really is a great resource for new program users!

Q: When I have entered chords and notation for a song, is it possible to mute the notation and just have the chords playing? This would be helpful for when I just want the chord backing track but want to read the notation.

A: There are several ways to do this. The easiest is probably to use the Mixer window and change the volume slider to zero for the Melody track. Or, hit the Mute icon on the Mixer for the Melody Track.

Another way, with more control rather than all or nothing, is to press F5 at the measure where you want to mute, and select mute or change the volume to zero. Later, press F5 and select Return to Normal, or change the volume back.

Introducing... RealTracks Artists David Wise & Shelly Justice!

For the first time ever Band-in-a-Box® can generate backing vocals with some amazing "oohs" and "aahs" vocal arrangements with RealTrack Set 278: Shiny Vocals Oohs and Aahs! Add male or female parts by renowned Nashville vocalists David Wise and Shelly Justice, and you'll LOVE the results!

David and Shelly have recorded with many different artists, including CeCe Winans, Dolly Parton, Don Henley, Donnie McClurkin, Jeremy Camp, Lady Antebellum, OneRepublic, Steve Green, and more!

RealTrack Set 278: Shiny Vocals Oohs and Aahs includes a three-part, six-voice arrangement – which you can use all together in your song or individually for more delicate textures! Listen to the demos for RealTracks Set 278 here.

Purchase RealTrack Set 278: Shiny Vocals Oohs and Aahs for just $29 here. It's also included in the Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows PlusPAK, UltraPAK, and Audiophile Edition.

Learn more about Dave & Shelly when you visit their RealTracks Artist Bio page:
David Wise: http://www.pgmusic.com/realtracks.artists.php?a=150
Shelly Justice: http://www.pgmusic.com/realtracks.artists.php?a=151

#TechTipTuesday - Band-in-a-Box® Patch Updates

If you're ever experiencing an issue with your Band-in-a-Box program, make sure you have the most recent patch update for your version - this can be done at http://www.pgmusic.com/support.updates.win.htm.

Patch updates are released frequently, and are created by our development team to fix any reported bugs, tweak existing features within the program, update demos and other files as needed, and more!

To find out which version of the program you have, visit Help | About Band-in-a-Box within the program. You will see the full version number listing as:
Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Version 2018 (512)

The number in parentheses is the build number. As you can see, my Band-in-a-Box is up to date and will continue to stay that way because I've selected "Automatically check for updates every 7 days" within the Help | Check for Updates.... option (you can set the number of days to a different number). This window will also look to see if you're version is up to date, so you don't technically have to visit http://www.pgmusic.com/support.updates.win.htm if you didn't want to!

Once you've installed your patch update (make sure the program is closed when you're doing this), give it another try - if you are still experiencing the same issue you can report it by contacting us directly, or you can post your result to the Forum thread that also announces the patch update, like our recent Band-in-a-Box 2018 Build 512 Update (Feb 15) post.

YouTube Find - How To Play SLOW A7 BLUES Guitar Solo With 4 NOTES

Check out one of EricBlackmonGuitar's latest videos, How To Play SLOW A7 BLUES Guitar Solo With 4 NOTES and you'll hear a great Band-in-a-Box backing track!

http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=blJPIX-9YbE

...and you'll also learn how to play blues with just a few notes!

A Little Bit Of Me Music Video!

A great music video created by forum user Floyd Jane! https://youtu.be/qPrejgnwb4M?t=3600

This song was featured in a detailed "The Birth of a Song" video created by Floyd Jane - watch the complete video here:
http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=qPrejgnwb4M

RealBand 2018 Build 5 Update Available!

RealBand 2018 customers can download the latest free patch update here: http://www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#2018_5

Summary of Changes for Build 5
Added: When generating the input file for saving as an MGU/SGU SongMode128= is saved to the input file.
Added: Localization support for 2018.
Added: flyby hints to new dialogs.
Fixed: Save As with a filename greater than 128 chars could cause an error 123 plus access violation.
Fixed: Rebooting RealBand after a filename with 128 chars was saved could cause an access violation.
Fixed: Pressing the Change button in the Event List Window could result in an access violation if an event was not a Note event.
Fixed: When running in Win 10, and using BBW or PT to generate audio harmonies, an error would occur saying that you need BB 2011 or PT 12 to generate audio harmonies.
Fixed: Midi Thru Method was not being saved to the .INI file. It always reverting to Track-Specific when booting up RealBand, even if the user manually changed the setting to Global in the Midi Thru Settings dialog.
Fixed: Delete All Notes on This Peg menu item in notation window right-click menu was missing.
Fixed: Potential crash on exit (having to do with the DLL attempting to free up a dynamic array that was passed to it).

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 Build 512 Update Available!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows customers can download the latest free patch update here: www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#512

Summary of changes for Build 512 since 510 (Feb 15 2018):
Fixed: "Load SoundTrack Song" and "Load song with RealDrums Audio" buttons in the Sound Track dialog were not working.
Fixed: After returning Band-in-a-Box to factory settings the File Open dialog would default to the bb\Data\Lib directory.
Fixed: Choosing a custom chord sheet font would ignore any color choice made in the font selection dialog.
Fixed: Drum names were sometimes truncated in the RealDrums MultiDrums and Quicklist dialogs.
Fixed: Exporting a MIDI file might cause the error, "MIDIConv.exe no found".
Fixed: Mixer changes were not undoable, and would not cause user to be prompted to save their song when exiting.
Fixed: Static in RT2438 and other various RealTracks fixes.
Fixed: StylePicker database various updates. Some styles were displaying the wrong feel (swing/even) in notation. A few styles incorrectly showed missing Drums.
Fixed: The audio latency setting would increase every time leaving the Windows Audio Devices dialog.
Fixed: The Download Manager folder name defaulted to 2016 instead of 2018.
Updated: Help file.

Forum Stats
27143 Members
49 Forums
50333 Topics
413119 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
AM3, RoRoSong, WHW, smily, jeffkepner1

27142 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Matt Finley 250