Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
#139348 12/07/11 10:59 AM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I am aware that there is a BIAB app for Ipad, but correct me if I am wrong . . . BIAB still cannot run from Ipad in place of a laptop, right? I don't have an Ipad but I am thinking because of the lack of memory, disk space and connectibility with a PA system this is still not possible. Just wondering.

If and when this happens I will be 1st in line to purchase an Ipad.

Later,

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Danny,
You are correct, BB's iPad and iPhone apps require the desktop version of Band-in-a-Box.

They are:

1. Band-in-a-Box iPhone. This loads and plays songs by connecting to your desktop version of Band-in-a-Box. Files transfer as BB songs and mp4 (m4a) files for the audio. Once you transfer them, you can play them on the iPhone version without being connected, but to regenerate them or get new ones, you need to reconnect to BB Desktop (which you can do over a local LAN or over the internet WAN.
Typical use here would be to prepare your favorite 100 BB tunes, with melodies and RealTracks set up how you like them. Then transfer the 100 tunes to your Iphone BB, and you'll always have those files ready to play on your Iphone, showing you the chords, while you hear the full RealTracks arrangement, including melodies, and whatever synths, VST effects etc you have in BB Desktop.

2. BB Remote. This is a remote control for your desktop version of BBW 2011.5 or higher. Sounds come from your desktop version, and the iPad just functions like a wireless remote control, to load and play songs (you get a display of chords on the iPad and highlight bars as the song plays.

Note that the above is written about the iPhone, but also applies to iPad (the programs work on iPad in iPhone 2X mode), and also there are Android versions of both programs.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
M
Apprentice
Apprentice
M
Peter,

I suggested this before, but I think it would be great to have a phone and tablet version that is not dependent on a desktop computer, but can run independently on the portable device.

Of course such an app could not contain hundreds of gigabytes of Real Tracks and Real Drums. It would have bo be MIDI only. I think most of these portable devices these days come with a pretty decent built-in GM synthesizer. No problem. While on the road, one can work with the MIDI BB app on the phone or tablet. When one gets home, one could transfer that song to the desktop computer, and then with desktop BIAB change some MIDI tracks to RealTracks if one wishes, use plugin synths, etc. But it would be fine to work out the song first with the portable device and built-in MIDI.

If one looks at GarageBand that comes on the Ipad, for example, it is clear that these devices can work decently with MIDI, and the built-in MIDI sounds/

The current phone and pad app you have, that requires Internet connection with one's desktop computer, really is not very practical for many situations where one might want to use a phone or pad app. For instance, let's say one is going to take a trip to Europe for several weeks.While traveling in the airplane, with an Ipad along, what better way to spend some of the 9 hour plane ride than to work out songs with BIAB? No Internet in the sky? Can't use tje current pad app then. Also, when one travels away from home for weeks, one might well prefer to turn the home computer off while gone, not leave it running for weeks with no one there. Also, when one arrives in the foreign country, one quite possibly might not have an Internet connection everywhere one goes. Travel around in trains? Might be a good time to use BIAB on the phone or tablet, but unlikely to be an Internet connection on the train.

I think it would really be great if you made a BIAB version that really worked self sufficiently on IOS, Android, etc. (of course MIDI only). not dependent on an Internet connection to the desktop computer at home. Please consider this.

K
Apprentice
Apprentice
K
I don't have a portable device yet but I wholeheartedly agree with maiki.

See Personal Bio for system setup

My SoundClick Page
Veteran
Veteran
And who knows how many potential sales at 99 cents each it will take to cover development and support of such a thing? And having it work without owning band in a box at all? There are going to be lots of midi based things show up on tablets because the tablets cannot support large legacy based software. Just try to find a functioning, real, up to date, piece of software that can run a powerpoint presentation on the latest Android phone. It's not happening soon it seems.

This hardware is in the 'kindergarten' phase. Much more needs to be done before it's ready to eliminate a pc with serious horsepower.

I'm more intrigued with the all on one computers that have a touch screen. For a gigging musician that seems much better suited to running a show.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Peter,

Thanks for the quick response, if and when the Ipad thing happens it would be a very nice.

John,

I was not looking for something for .99 or nothing asd this would be a very valuable asset to live peformers that I am sure they would be willing to pay for.

Later,

J
J
Hi,

I just upgraded from BIAB 2008 to 2012 just because I wanted to use BIAB on my iPad.

My problem is transferring files from my PC to my iPad. I have a cable connecting my PC to my iPad. Why can't I just transfer files through iTunes like what most other apps do?

BIAB users should be able to use the program without having to configure the router, port forwarding, etc. Even if I were inclined to do these, I can't get router access at work, and I don't have Internet (let alone a router) at home.

As it is, I'm looking at a waste of money on the upgrade (since I was very happy with BIAB 2008) and the cost of the iPad app.

Cheers,
Jojo

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Jojo,

From your post I could not determine just how you currently use BIAB . . . do you do live gigs and are looking to do them from an Ipad and are you currently using BIAB from a laptop as opposed to making wma, wav or mp3 backing tracks? If you do any of these things I would say the upgrade is well worth the price and the differences between 2008 and even 2011 are dramatic.

Also your reference to Itunes threw me a bit as I am not sure how you would use BIAB with Itunes.

Personaly I am wishing that down the line the entire application will be able to run from an Ipad directly, but I do understand that even the Ipad is not yet there.

Later,

Expert
Expert
Quote:

Hi,

I just upgraded from BIAB 2008 to 2012 just because I wanted to use BIAB on my iPad.

As it is, I'm looking at a waste of money on the upgrade (since I was very happy with BIAB 2008) and the cost of the iPad app.

Am I the only person on the planet that reads all about a piece of software before he buys it to see if it is suitable for what I want it to do? Maybe the other thing you missed reading is that there is an unconditional money back guarantee? If it doens't do what you want it to do, send it back and stop complaining about wasting your money.

Keith
2024 Audiophile Windows 11 AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 3960X 4.5GHZ 128 GB RAM 2 Nvidia RTX 3090s, Vegas,Acid,SoundForge,Izotope Production,Melodyne Studio,Cakewalk,Raven Mti
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
>>> My problem is transferring files from my PC to my iPad. I have a cable connecting my PC to my iPad. Why can't I just transfer files through iTunes like what most other apps do?

BIAB users should be able to use the program without having to configure the router, port forwarding, etc. Even if I were inclined to do these, I can't get router access at work, and I don't have Internet (let alone a router) at home.

============================

You can connect your iPhone to your PC, wirelessly, and fully use the BBREmote and BB for iPhone app, even if you don't have Internet, and don't have a router. Prior to posting this, I tried it out and it works great.

(This assumes that your PC has a wireless adaptor, i.e. something capabale of WiFi)

To be clear, we are talking about a situation where all you have is a PC, and an iPhone. No internet, no wifi, no cable, no router or network available. Just you and the iPhone, on a desert island <G>.

IMPORTANT: This example is applicable only in situations where you DON'T have Wifi, LAN available. If you do have LAN, and WiFI, skip this whole thing, as there'd be no point in setting up an ad-hoc.

Aside from people who don't have a router or Interet, this would be a useful application if you were at a gig, and wanted to use BB Remote to load your songs from and generally control your PC, so that you could see the chords as they play, and not be looking at a big PC. Or maybe you want to look at the notebook screen, and the guitar player wants to look at the iPad screen for chords.

To do this, you need to set up an ad-hoc network, find the IP of your PC, and type that IP into the BB Remote program. I'll post info on how to do that in the Tips-n-Tricks section. There's lots available on the Internet about setting up ad-hoc networks, and the procedure differs on Windows XP, Vista, and Windows 7.

More info here... http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=342264&an=0&page=0#Post342264

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
R
Apprentice
Apprentice
R
Thanks Peter,
some of this info may help me also.

I paid the grand sum of 99c a few weeks back for the app for my new ipod.

Still haven't worked it out yet, (not high on my list of priorities at the moment.)

I may be getting an ipad off santa, so then I will definately have to work it out if that happens.

Links are definately helpful.

best wishes
rikki

BIAB 2020
Yamaha sx900
J
J
Thanks for the link with the steps, Peter. I'll try it when I get home tonight. The router method with port forwarding was the first one I saw when I did a Google search on the subject. I'm glad that you've got another way available.

In reference to iTunes, some apps on my iPad uses iTunes to transfer files from PC to iPad. For example, I have Buzz Player that plays media files. I connect my iPad via USB to my PC running iTunes. From within iTunes, I can select the files I want uploaded to my iPad. It's the same with my PDF Reader, OfficeHD, Flashcards, etc. It seems to be one of the standard method of porting files to an iPad or iPhone. Another way is to upload files through iCloud.

Of course, being able to connect wirelessly is useful, but I'm hoping that the app can (in the future) allow USB file transfers or even transfers using iCloud.

Cheers,
Jojo

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,612
Posts735,070
Members38,515
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01, Juan Jose, BroDon
38,515 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185