Page 2 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

Thanks, Pretty much the same philosophy for patches and updates. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Experience has shown me that in the case of Band in a Box software, keeping track of the Updates and downloading and installing them is beneficial to the end-user almost every time.

There have historically been many fixes that, while you may not think things are broken, they are.

Why set yourself up for what would be a relatively easy cure - and often can be avoided altogether - by ignoring the updates and patches?

Experience in answering the problems of forum users over the past ten or more years has shown me that there are a significant number of posts where the user has encountered a problem with the program that has already been addressed by these Updates, but the user has failed to keep track of, download and install the update.

On top of that, one does not need to install the first update, then the next, then the next and so-on if they haven't updated the program in some time, pgmusic has been great at making sure that the LATEST Update file posted has all the fixes from previous updates in it as well.

Yes, if you ever go to do a reinstall of BB from the drive, say onto a new machine, you should do the install, then ascertain that bb is basicall working, and then install the latest downloaded update right overtop. Also should check for any possibly missing Realtracks/Realdrums updates at that time and do likewise.

The amount of time it takes to do so is not as bad as the frustration and lost time that not having a certain feature fixed and working can impart to a project. When the creative juices are flowing, it is almost criminal to have to interrupt that in order to troubleshoot a problem that, if the updates had been done, would not even be a problem. YMMV, but since the analogy has already been given, the responsible automobile owner shouldn't ignore oil changes and tuneup intervals with the expectation of having that automobile function as intended, especially when the automaker includes a schedule for maintenance.

Software has a maintenance as well, IMO and in this case, those Updates are just part and parcel of maintaining the software in good working order, in an effort to maximize benefit.

--Mac

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Lawrence,

There are about 80,000 files in the Band-in-a-Box UltraPak. It is inevitable that a few will need patching, or be missing. In this case, there are 2 RealTracks that are about a week late, and so will be posted online in a free patch update.

As you mentioned, you haven't even received the hard drive version yet, so it is possible that the online patch will appear **before** you get the physical copy. In this case, wait until the hard drive arrives, and then apply the patch.

The patch update can be applied directly to the hard drive (e.g. if your hard drive is f:\, just point to the f:\bb directory on the hard drive), which makes your hard drive fully up to date. Note that the hard drive is then identical to what it should be, and can be used as a backup etc. Future patches should also be applied like that, to keep your backup copy up to date.

As you know, Windows, Apple and most other software companies update their software with online (free) patches. How often do you boot iTunes, to be told that "important patch must be applied etc."

We believe that most people prefer to get 99.9% of a big product like this, and just apply a patch when available to top it up to 100%. For example, if we discover that one of the demos on MIDI "techno" styles set 79 has the wrong key signature, would you prefer that we hold your order until that is fixed, or ship as-is, and put up a patch?
Maintaining a product with 80,000 files is an ongoing process, so regular patches throughout the year are to be expected.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
L
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
L
Hi Mac. Agreed. You offer sage advice. There are, however, features I do not use, for example, the iphone app. It makes no sense to me to blindly rush to download every update to features, like the iphone, which I never use. Generally biab works pretty well. If I have an issue, something I use isn't quite right, I'll check for patches or the forums. I also check support periodically for current releases and keep a journal of those I've added and those I haven't. On a side note - not to change the topic to wish lists - it would be a usefull benefit to be able to select or deselect some peripheral features, like the iphone I never use, from program installation - the whole thing is pretty large.

Veteran
Veteran
2012 has a checkbox during installaetion for iPhone server app. Uncheck it and never worry about it.
Your wish is already answered!

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
L
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
L
Quote:

Lawrence,

There are about 80,000 files in the Band-in-a-Box UltraPak. It is inevitable that a few will need patching, or be missing. In this case, there are 2 RealTracks that are about a week late, and so will be posted online in a free patch update.

As you mentioned, you haven't even received the hard drive version yet, so it is possible that the online patch will appear **before** you get the physical copy. In this case, wait until the hard drive arrives, and then apply the patch.

The patch update can be applied directly to the hard drive (e.g. if your hard drive is f:\, just point to the f:\bb directory on the hard drive), which makes your hard drive fully up to date. Note that the hard drive is then identical to what it should be, and can be used as a backup etc. Future patches should also be applied like that, to keep your backup copy up to date.

As you know, Windows, Apple and most other software companies update their software with online (free) patches. How often do you boot iTunes, to be told that "important patch must be applied etc."

We believe that most people prefer to get 99.9% of a big product like this, and just apply a patch when available to top it up to 100%. For example, if we discover that one of the demos on MIDI "techno" styles set 79 has the wrong key signature, would you prefer that we hold your order until that is fixed, or ship as-is, and put up a patch?
Maintaining a product with 80,000 files is an ongoing process, so regular patches throughout the year are to be expected.

Hello Prof. Gannon. Thank you for your reply. Yes, I do understand that such a large program will need patches. And thanks to PG Music for the product support.

In a previous post, I wrote that it has been my prior experience on a couple of re-installs that program updates applied to the external drive do not convey to a re-install. Installers for the subsequent updates had to also be run again (or downloaded and re-installed again separately). Please correct me if I am mistaken. Am I understanding your post correctly to mean that if I apply patches and build updates to the external hard drive as a back-up that, if a re-install is necessary, the main program installer can be run and all of those added patches and build updates will transfer to the new re-install? If so that would simplify and expedite re-installation. Thanks again!

L
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
L
Quote:

2012 has a checkbox during installaetion for iPhone server app. Uncheck it and never worry about it.
Your wish is already answered!

Fabulous! I have that to look forward to. If only all my wishes were granted so quickly.... Thanks!

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
>> Hello Prof. Gannon
I appreciate the salutation, but it is unearned, as I've never been a professor.

>>> In a previous post, I wrote that it has been my prior experience on a couple of re-installs that program updates applied to the external drive do not convey to a re-install. Installers for the subsequent updates had to also be run again (or downloaded and re-installed again separately). Please correct me if I am mistaken.

In the case of the hard drive version, for a *** full install** the f:\bb folder just gets copied during an install, so an update to the hard drive changes those files, and hence changes the install. So need to repatch if you patched that.

If you are doing a **minimal install** from the hard drive, then it doesn't copy the RealTracks folder, and installs a compressed image, and so you would need to reapply a patch to the c:\bb folder in that case.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
S
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
S
Egad. I see that you don't have a wikipedia entry, Peter. How can you stand for this?

John

Veteran
Veteran
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Band_in_a_box

Unless you meant Peter having a personal entry ..

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
L
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
L
Quote:

>> Hello Prof. Gannon
I appreciate the salutation, but it is unearned, as I've never been a professor.

Guess you can't believe everything you read on the internet. Don't recall offhand exactly where I read you were a Prof. but you have have that credit somewhere on the web...

Quote:

In the case of the hard drive version, for a *** full install** the f:\bb folder just gets copied during an install, so an update to the hard drive changes those files, and hence changes the install. So need to repatch if you patched that.

If you are doing a **minimal install** from the hard drive, then it doesn't copy the RealTracks folder, and installs a compressed image, and so you would need to reapply a patch to the c:\bb folder in that case.

Aha!! That explains it! I use the custom install option to install the bb and RT folders to separate drives. Thank you for that revelation, Peter! Oh well, so using the custom install option I'll still have to apply subsequent update patches.

In regards to the RealTrack in question, once it is added to the external hard drive, so it doesn't convey on a custom installation to separate drives and needs to be added to the RT folder subsequently? Do I understand correctly? No biggie, if I just need remember to keep a copy of the RT installer file as I have before. Thanks again!

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
>> There are, however, features I do not use, for example, the iphone app

Remember, there are 2 iPhone apps (and same 2 for Android).

- one is BBRemote, which is a wireless remote control for Band-in-a-Box.
- the other is Band-in-a-Box for iPhone, which is a player program to play BB files on your iPhone.

If you have an iPhone, the BBRemote enhances use of the desktop Band-in-a-Box, by functioning as a wireless remote.

The "Band-in-a-Box for iPhone" is useful when you are away from the desktop version of Band-in-a-Box, so you can play tunes that you transferred over previously.

Of course you need to have an iPhone, iPad, or Android device to use these apps at all.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
>>> In regards to the RealTrack in question, once it is added to the external hard drive, so it doesn't convey on a custom installation to separate drives and needs to be added to the RT folder subsequently? Do I understand correctly? No biggie, if I just need remember to keep a copy of the RT installer file as I have before. Thanks again!

Yes, if you have 2 Realtracks folders:
c:\bb\RealTracks <----- your main drive, where you have BB copied to
and
f:\bb\RealTracks <----- your PG Music hard drive

Then, when you get a patch, you should apply it twice.
The first time, you point to c:\bb and c:\bb\RealTracks
The second time, you point to f:\bb and f:\bb\RealTracks

In other words, you would do the same thing as if you had BB on two different computers; you'd update them both.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Expert
Expert
Quote:

Lawrence.1955: Maybe I'm expecting too much? For example, when I take my vehicle in for a tune-up I expect it to be completed on delivery. I'd rather wait than have the shop mail the oil filter later with note to the effect of "..ooops! We didn't have it at the time!" and have to install it myself.

That is not anywhere near a reasonable analogy -- it just tells me that you've made your mind up and no amount of discussion will change your mind. Good luck with the software.

Now at bandcamp: Crows Say Vee-Eh @ bandcamp or soundcloud: Kevin @ soundcloud
Journeyman
Journeyman
Just return the dang thing if you're that upset. My word. Go buy something else you are satisfied with.

L
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
L
Quote:

Just return the dang thing if you're that upset. My word. Go buy something else you are satisfied with.

No, I'm not upset; Just don't care for the extra hassle and putting in my 2 cents about it.... if that's ok with you.

Looking at all the problems people are posting about with adding on the missing RealTracks set 146 just makes the point. I'd preferred to have had the knowledge and informed choice to wait for the completed package of Biab 2012.

More of the tardy RealTrack and accompanying styles promised are yet to come. It's likely only going to get worse trying to add them to what - in my opinion - should have been a complete package to begin with.

Yeah, yeah, I expect some updates with any software. But when I'm told the release contains features A through Z, but after I pay I'm told 'well, it really doesn't have all that, yet. We'll send the rest when we're ready' ... I kinda have a problem with that kind of willfull absence of disclosure. Get it?

I'm trying to be kind here. You know what they call people that don't tell the truth.

I'm not in that big of a hurry to have the latest, greatest edition. Simply put, my preference is to have had it delivered complete without the hassle of chasing down the missing parts piecemeal and troubleshooting their various installations. That's what I was paying PG Music to do when I bought the 2012 release (so I thought). I have much better things to do with my time.

Well, maybe I should just cut my losses, use 2011 which I have already paid for and just return the Biab 2012 hard drive for a refund. Ok, ya talked me into it. Thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,389
Posts732,447
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195