Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#141460 12/16/11 06:12 PM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
68jcode Offline OP
OP Offline
I am a guitar player but haven't played much in the last decade. I am blowing the dust off my gear and start practicing again and considering BIAB for backing tracks etc. I'm curious to know what others are using for equipment as I have never used software for backing tracks, am old school jammed to cassette tapes :-). I am pretty technical, work in hi tech for a living, so am looking forward to learning this program and all it can do. What are you using for audio interfaces for playback? I am also interested in doing some recording, possibly including vocals. Your insight and recommendations are appreciated. Any pointers to online reading material or forums that might help me would be great.

Veteran
Veteran
Some of us put our system info in our signature (at the bottom of each post; go to My Home & Settings above to create yours), or in their Profile (where I have mine; click on my name on the upper left).

If you don't have any good sound card (just the built-in one, which should be disabled), then the M-Audio Fast Track is well-regarded around here, but you will get a bunch of valid recommendations if you give us a budget.

BIAB would be really great for you to practice and create backing tracks. RealBand is a free program that comes with BIAB that gives you a DAW (digital audio workstation) for recording on top of your BIAB songs.

When you get the program set up and come back with specific questions, I think you will find this user forum is pretty friendly and quite knowledgeable. For things like soundcard recommendations, or microphones, post in the Off-Topic Forum here. Give us your system info, and perhaps some alternatives we can help you decide between, and your budget.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
68jcode Offline OP
OP Offline
Matt, appreciate your response. I was planning to use my Dell 6420 laptop to run BIAB, but not sure now since you mentioned the sound card. Do others use laptops and if so, do the on board sound cards work ok or is there another way to upgrade using something external? I'm trying to learn about this before I make my purchase. As for budget, I would like to keep it light while I ramp back into it, maybe $500 or so beyond the cost of BIAB.

Veteran
Veteran
Yes, many good sound cards like the Fast Track use a USB connection. I'll let someone who uses BIAB on a laptop give a better answer, but it won't be a problem.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Apprentice
Apprentice
Hi 68jcode??

Biab is a wonderful tool for creating your own backings and even more so with advent of the real tracks and drums and the new upgrade. You can achieve a really professional sound and backing on par with many of the download backings and tapes, cd's that are available and it's also a fun learning tool an dmore to the point they will be your own work to a degree.
When I was forced to retire coz of medical reasons I had more time to give to my home music studio and guitars and have spend 8 or so years trial and error and wasted a lot of money with various bits of equipment multitracks,amps stompboxes and effects, you name it. In the end I have settled for a PC based recording studio and what I have now is.
PC W7 64bit - Cakewalks V-20 Studio USB interface - with Cakewalk speakers. A Zoom G3 USB amp/effects guitar unit. a TC Helicon vocal voicetone. A Korg x50 Midi Synth, various other bits an bobs. I have Sonar X1 but I mostly use the Guitar Tracks software that comes with the V-20 for recording as it is not too complex. The V-20 is a fantastic sound card module/mixer, does everything I need with all the inputs and outputs required.
Of course at the heart of things is biab where it all usually starts after I come up with any composition ideas messing with the acoustic guitar, or even just with biab.
Everyone will have a different setup according to their requirements but this works for me and at long last I think I am happy with the sound and setup. Everything takes up so much less space than physical equipment. Guitars are still real though although must get rid of a couple of them - smile.
Best Wishes. Jeff

P
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
P
Hello 68jcode,

I have a small project studio where BIAB is one of my production tools.

Rather than writing about it, maybe you'd like to listen to some newly finished tracks from my client's CD. I just posted them in the "Showcase" forum thread. The link there will take you to the page with 9 BIAB tracks.

My THREAD in SHOWCASE FORUM

You can click on the "Studio Photo" link at the top of the web page to see my set up. Or you can click on the studio URL at the bottom of my post to go directly to my studio web site.

BIAB has generated over $5000 for me over the last 12 months. I'm a big fan of BIAB !!

Ed

Veteran
Veteran
If all you're going to do is make backing tracks and not record the internal card will be just fine. The new internal cards do playback quite well. It's in the recording were they lack. Get your feet wet before spending money on an interface.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
68jcode Offline OP
OP Offline
Appreciate the replies, good info. Jblue7, your setup looks good, about the scope of what I would be looking at as I gear up. The V-20 looks like a good piece of gear for the price and I have always like Roland gear. Ed, thanks for sharing the tracks, sounds very good, looking forward to getting started with BIAB. John, I do plan to do some recording, so I think a sound card upgrade is needed. I agree with your advice on getting my feet wet first, I feel like I still have a lot of research and learning to do before making hardware purchases. I only want to buy something once!

Apprentice
Apprentice
Hi Jcode,
Glad the info was helpful, yes wish I had only had to buy things once although I did sell my unused equipment without too much of a loss if any in some cases, good old ebay.
One thing I forgot to mention was that the V-20 apart from Guitar Tracks comes with a BOSS/Roland VG amp/effects module which I think is pretty good and so easy to use. Used it all the time until iI recently got the new G3. The Cakewalk site has lot's of info, best to read & watch the videos and everything you can before committing as we all need different requirements. I tended to plunge into things.
If I can be of any help just let me know.
--------------------------------
Nice studio set up and website ED,
I'm going to listen to some of the songs later today
Regards All. Jeff

Veteran
Veteran
Welcome aboard . . .

Although I am sure they are better soundcards out there I have been running BIAB for live gigs from my laptop soundcard for years now and have no issues. Now I do very little recording, just some sample CD's and mp3s for my website so a better soundcard might be more important for recording. Also keep in mind that with the quality of BIAB being what it is you may not want to put your tracks on a CD and opt to save them to the hardrive and run them from there.

Hope this helps.

Later,

68jcode Offline OP
OP Offline
How about sound playback, what are you guys using for the playback output? Where I plan to do some recording, I would think some studio monitors would be ideal, what do you suggest for amplifier for monitors? The other option would be to output through a small PA, but I don't want to purchase both.

Apprentice
Apprentice
Hi Jcode,
I find my Cakewalk/Roland MA-150 monitor active speakers the best I have tried so far, a good all round sound for PC mp3 music and music production. Even impressed how good the Guitar sounds through them via the V-20. Loud enough for me but you may need something of more ampage. They also have outputs to go to additional speakers.
Jeff

Last edited by JBlue7; 12/18/11 08:39 AM.
Veteran
Veteran
86jcode,

Dont forget hiqh quality "studio" headphones.
Several members recommended these to me.

Yesterday, my wife asked me your not bothering me, why are you
putting on your headphones. Answer, their quality far exceeds
the sound from my AR Studio Partner monitors.(which are no slouches)

http://eu.audio-technica.com/en/products/product.asp?catID=5&subID=39&prodID=155

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/97718-REG/Audio_Technica_ATH_M40.html

Another member purchased his from Amazon for about same price. I've just had
really good luck with B&H.

Good Luck !

FrankB

Down The Street vs2015 12-03-2014
Win7, AMD QuadA8-5500,16GB,2TeraHD, Komplete 10
PG Ultra Plus 2016,Alesis 12USB, Sonar Platinum
Journeyman
Journeyman
68jcode,

Good topic. I think you'll see that people use all kinds of different setups. I use a Line 6 UX2 - a USB interface that allows up to 2 instruments and 2 mics to be input, also has software effects and amp simulations (lots of fun to play with, lots of different effects available). Sound output is thru the UX2, and I just play thru a set of 2.1 speakers, but you can output thru whatever you'd like - headphones, a PA, a stereo amp (several folks on here use old stereo recievers). It sounds like you'd do well with a USB interface, and there's lots of good options on the market. Look at number of inputs you'll need/want, software extras (like amp simulations and effects). Lots of helpful folks on this forum, so if you have specific questions, ask.

Bruce

Macbook Pro 2018
2.6 GHz 6-core Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM
OS Monterey
BIAB for Mac 2022
Veteran
Veteran
I use the M-Audio Fast Track Pro on one computer and an internal Mark of the Unicorn PCI card in the other.

I play into the M-Audio to create and overdub using Real Band. As you move ahead you will likely leave BIAB behind quickly and move to Real Band, which is a 48 track sequencer (in 2000's language, a Digital Audio Workstation). My system takes a turn at this point that many other don't, as I move that song file to the second computer where I then feed it out to the MOTU hardware, which is patched into my mixer, and I mix on the mixer and feed it back to the first computer where I record the final mix (what I call "printing").

For room sound, I have 2 Wharfedale powered monitors. Everything runs through a patch bay so I can send this to that or that to the other. I just painted and reorganized the studio and I will get pictures up when I finish wiring and all. Both PCs are 3.2ghz dual core with 4 gig of RAM in one and 2 in the other. The one I mix through doesn't need the horsepower as the one I write on.

BIAB is a great tool to create backgrounds to sing and play over. RB is going to give you more options to expand. The service is great and the forums are full of knowledgeable people who are willing to help. Not a "take a number" company at all like the big boxes who say "send and email" and you hear from them in 4 days.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Apprentice
Apprentice
Yes Seeker good thought. A good pair of heaphones are essential, I have heard that the technica phones are great. I use Sennheiser's. I have a pair of HDR 140's wireless ones which are quite good although I prefer the HD201's when recording. Great for the price too.
I also have the Line-6 UX2 Studio Bruce and also some other LIne-6 equipment, a nice bit of kit along with POD Farm, although I am in the process of trying to sell it since moving over to the V-20. Would like to keep it but don't really need 2 interfaces and VG packages. The V-20 is more geared up to incorporate guitar recording and mixing with your DAW killing 2 birds with one stone so to speak.
It's interesting to hear what others are using to create their music along with BIAB.
regards. Jeff

Veteran
Veteran
Some pictures of my stuff.

This photo is the Dell where I actually do the writing in Real Band. This one has the dual screens because I will often have several windows open and needed the real estate. This is also the one where I print onto Adobe Audition. This also shows the 2 Wharfedale speakers.

This is the mixdown table. The Real Band computer feeds out through the M-Audio interface and into a Mark of the Unicorn unit that allows me to take each (assigned) track into a channel of the Mackie mixer you see. That allows me to mix with sliders on a mixer. That is also looped through the 2 digital reverb units you see in the rack so I can use different reverbs on different instruments. Eventually I may loop the other 2 reverbs in but not right now. There is also the dual 31 band EQ and a limiter I rarely use. In the right hand rack you see a patch bay. That allows me to route anything to anything, including mixing in the 4 keyboards you see in the next photo. I use this rig for playback and send it back to the first computer for printing. The Peavey mixer is just so I can hear in the room when I am mixing down to print, as at that time the Mackie is routed to the M-Audio and not feeding the speakers.

This image just shows the keyboards I use. They are all Ensoniq. Top left is an SQ-1. Bottom left is an ESQ-1. Top right is an EPS 16+ sampler. Bottom right is a KS32. They all go to the patch bay and when I want to add something manually I can just add it to the mix on the Mackie by patching channel 11,12,13, or 14 from the patch bay to the mixer. That is used mainly for sweetening layers like vocals, etc. With it patched this way, I can also route whatever external instrument to the first computer when recording so it is tracked. Or I can just layer during print if I don't care about it being in the file. Behind the left stack you see the drum machine (Roland 707) and a vocoder. That laptop is there because I was chatting with someone and I never use my music computers for internet while using them for music.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Veteran
Veteran
Wow nice gear. The colour of the walls reminds me of old Cleveland Browns helmets.

I have a keyboard stand like yours. The cheap one I got because one of the rubber things was missing. I'm missing lots myself, so we resemble each other.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Veteran
Veteran
I think I have that stand on the right also. Works for me ..
If seeker is talking about the ATh m40 f/s headphones, I think you'll notice a bit of difference from the 201s. I do. And I like it. I own a couple pair now. Like them better than the m50 that costs twice as much.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Veteran
Veteran
Actually gold and black is more Stillers, and many people here have teased me about that already. That black racing stripe around the room may have been too "Pittsburgh"...

Browns helmet orange was TOO bold though....

The opposite wall has an alcove that will get a love seat as soon as I find one at the local thrift store. There was one last month for like $10 that would have been perfect but I had no way to get it home then and they will not hold it. Oh well. I will find one.

You can actually find chair and cane tips that will replace the tips for the stand. I super glued them on because I got tired of them coming off. I also have the old Ultimate Support A frame style that holds 3 but there is no reason to pull it out.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,400
Posts732,553
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199