Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#141460 - 12/16/11 08:12 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] What is your setup?
68jcode Offline

I am a guitar player but haven't played much in the last decade. I am blowing the dust off my gear and start practicing again and considering BIAB for backing tracks etc. I'm curious to know what others are using for equipment as I have never used software for backing tracks, am old school jammed to cassette tapes :-). I am pretty technical, work in hi tech for a living, so am looking forward to learning this program and all it can do. What are you using for audio interfaces for playback? I am also interested in doing some recording, possibly including vocals. Your insight and recommendations are appreciated. Any pointers to online reading material or forums that might help me would be great.

#141461 - 12/16/11 08:21 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: What is your setup? [Re: 68jcode]
Matt Finley Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
Some of us put our system info in our signature (at the bottom of each post; go to My Home & Settings above to create yours), or in their Profile (where I have mine; click on my name on the upper left).

If you don't have any good sound card (just the built-in one, which should be disabled), then the M-Audio Fast Track is well-regarded around here, but you will get a bunch of valid recommendations if you give us a budget.

BIAB would be really great for you to practice and create backing tracks. RealBand is a free program that comes with BIAB that gives you a DAW (digital audio workstation) for recording on top of your BIAB songs.

When you get the program set up and come back with specific questions, I think you will find this user forum is pretty friendly and quite knowledgeable. For things like soundcard recommendations, or microphones, post in the Off-Topic Forum here. Give us your system info, and perhaps some alternatives we can help you decide between, and your budget.
BIAB 2018 PC Audiophile. Software: SONAR Platinum, Adobe Audition, Ozone, Encore; Win 10 64. Hardware: custom i7, 16 Gb RAM; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20 (2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & monitors.

#141462 - 12/16/11 09:01 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: What is your setup? [Re: Matt Finley]
68jcode Offline

Matt, appreciate your response. I was planning to use my Dell 6420 laptop to run BIAB, but not sure now since you mentioned the sound card. Do others use laptops and if so, do the on board sound cards work ok or is there another way to upgrade using something external? I'm trying to learn about this before I make my purchase. As for budget, I would like to keep it light while I ramp back into it, maybe $500 or so beyond the cost of BIAB.

#141463 - 12/16/11 09:12 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: What is your setup? [Re: 68jcode]
Matt Finley Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
Yes, many good sound cards like the Fast Track use a USB connection. I'll let someone who uses BIAB on a laptop give a better answer, but it won't be a problem.
BIAB 2018 PC Audiophile. Software: SONAR Platinum, Adobe Audition, Ozone, Encore; Win 10 64. Hardware: custom i7, 16 Gb RAM; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20 (2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & monitors.

#141464 - 12/16/11 09:20 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: What is your setup? [Re: Matt Finley]
JBlue7 Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Glos. England
Hi 68jcode??

Biab is a wonderful tool for creating your own backings and even more so with advent of the real tracks and drums and the new upgrade. You can achieve a really professional sound and backing on par with many of the download backings and tapes, cd's that are available and it's also a fun learning tool an dmore to the point they will be your own work to a degree.
When I was forced to retire coz of medical reasons I had more time to give to my home music studio and guitars and have spend 8 or so years trial and error and wasted a lot of money with various bits of equipment multitracks,amps stompboxes and effects, you name it. In the end I have settled for a PC based recording studio and what I have now is.
PC W7 64bit - Cakewalks V-20 Studio USB interface - with Cakewalk speakers. A Zoom G3 USB amp/effects guitar unit. a TC Helicon vocal voicetone. A Korg x50 Midi Synth, various other bits an bobs. I have Sonar X1 but I mostly use the Guitar Tracks software that comes with the V-20 for recording as it is not too complex. The V-20 is a fantastic sound card module/mixer, does everything I need with all the inputs and outputs required.
Of course at the heart of things is biab where it all usually starts after I come up with any composition ideas messing with the acoustic guitar, or even just with biab.
Everyone will have a different setup according to their requirements but this works for me and at long last I think I am happy with the sound and setup. Everything takes up so much less space than physical equipment. Guitars are still real though although must get rid of a couple of them - smile.
Best Wishes. Jeff

#141465 - 12/17/11 05:29 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: What is your setup? [Re: 68jcode]
Producer Yoda Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Santa Barbara, CA
Hello 68jcode,

I have a small project studio where BIAB is one of my production tools.

Rather than writing about it, maybe you'd like to listen to some newly finished tracks from my client's CD. I just posted them in the "Showcase" forum thread. The link there will take you to the page with 9 BIAB tracks.

My THREAD in SHOWCASE FORUM

You can click on the "Studio Photo" link at the top of the web page to see my set up. Or you can click on the studio URL at the bottom of my post to go directly to my studio web site.

BIAB has generated over $5000 for me over the last 12 months. I'm a big fan of BIAB !!

Ed

#141466 - 12/17/11 08:43 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: What is your setup? [Re: Producer Yoda]
silvertones Offline
Veteran

If all you're going to do is make backing tracks and not record the internal card will be just fine. The new internal cards do playback quite well. It's in the recording were they lack. Get your feet wet before spending money on an interface.
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"

#141467 - 12/17/11 08:52 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: What is your setup? [Re: silvertones]
68jcode Offline

Appreciate the replies, good info. Jblue7, your setup looks good, about the scope of what I would be looking at as I gear up. The V-20 looks like a good piece of gear for the price and I have always like Roland gear. Ed, thanks for sharing the tracks, sounds very good, looking forward to getting started with BIAB. John, I do plan to do some recording, so I think a sound card upgrade is needed. I agree with your advice on getting my feet wet first, I feel like I still have a lot of research and learning to do before making hardware purchases. I only want to buy something once!

#141468 - 12/17/11 09:08 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: What is your setup? [Re: 68jcode]
JBlue7 Offline
Apprentice

Hi Jcode,
Glad the info was helpful, yes wish I had only had to buy things once although I did sell my unused equipment without too much of a loss if any in some cases, good old ebay.
One thing I forgot to mention was that the V-20 apart from Guitar Tracks comes with a BOSS/Roland VG amp/effects module which I think is pretty good and so easy to use. Used it all the time until iI recently got the new G3. The Cakewalk site has lot's of info, best to read & watch the videos and everything you can before committing as we all need different requirements. I tended to plunge into things.
If I can be of any help just let me know.
--------------------------------
Nice studio set up and website ED,
I'm going to listen to some of the songs later today
Regards All. Jeff

#141469 - 12/17/11 11:24 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: What is your setup? [Re: 68jcode]
Danny C. Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Louisiana
Welcome aboard . . .

Although I am sure they are better soundcards out there I have been running BIAB for live gigs from my laptop soundcard for years now and have no issues. Now I do very little recording, just some sample CD's and mp3s for my website so a better soundcard might be more important for recording. Also keep in mind that with the quality of BIAB being what it is you may not want to put your tracks on a CD and opt to save them to the hardrive and run them from there.

Hope this helps.

Later,

The More You Drink The Better I Sound

#141470 - 12/18/11 09:12 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: What is your setup? [Re: Danny C.]
68jcode Offline

How about sound playback, what are you guys using for the playback output? Where I plan to do some recording, I would think some studio monitors would be ideal, what do you suggest for amplifier for monitors? The other option would be to output through a small PA, but I don't want to purchase both.

#141471 - 12/18/11 10:38 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: What is your setup? [Re: 68jcode]
JBlue7 Offline
Apprentice

Hi Jcode,
I find my Cakewalk/Roland MA-150 monitor active speakers the best I have tried so far, a good all round sound for PC mp3 music and music production. Even impressed how good the Guitar sounds through them via the V-20. Loud enough for me but you may need something of more ampage. They also have outputs to go to additional speakers.
Jeff

Edited by JBlue7 (12/18/11 10:39 AM)

#141472 - 12/18/11 11:12 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: What is your setup? [Re: JBlue7]
seeker Offline
Veteran

Loc: 80 Mi North of Sacramento CA
86jcode,

Dont forget hiqh quality "studio" headphones.
Several members recommended these to me.

Yesterday, my wife asked me your not bothering me, why are you
putting on your headphones. Answer, their quality far exceeds
the sound from my AR Studio Partner monitors.(which are no slouches)

http://eu.audio-technica.com/en/products/product.asp?catID=5&subID=39&prodID=155

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/97718-REG/Audio_Technica_ATH_M40.html

Another member purchased his from Amazon for about same price. I've just had
really good luck with B&H.

Good Luck !

Down The Street vs2015 12-03-2014
Win7, AMD QuadA8-5500,16GB,2TeraHD, Komplete 10
PG Ultra Plus 2016,Alesis 12USB, Sonar Platinum

#141473 - 12/18/11 11:25 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: What is your setup? [Re: JBlue7]
babarton Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Oklahoma, USA
68jcode,

Good topic. I think you'll see that people use all kinds of different setups. I use a Line 6 UX2 - a USB interface that allows up to 2 instruments and 2 mics to be input, also has software effects and amp simulations (lots of fun to play with, lots of different effects available). Sound output is thru the UX2, and I just play thru a set of 2.1 speakers, but you can output thru whatever you'd like - headphones, a PA, a stereo amp (several folks on here use old stereo recievers). It sounds like you'd do well with a USB interface, and there's lots of good options on the market. Look at number of inputs you'll need/want, software extras (like amp simulations and effects). Lots of helpful folks on this forum, so if you have specific questions, ask.

Bruce

#141474 - 12/18/11 11:50 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: What is your setup? [Re: babarton]
eddie1261 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
I use the M-Audio Fast Track Pro on one computer and an internal Mark of the Unicorn PCI card in the other.

I play into the M-Audio to create and overdub using Real Band. As you move ahead you will likely leave BIAB behind quickly and move to Real Band, which is a 48 track sequencer (in 2000's language, a Digital Audio Workstation). My system takes a turn at this point that many other don't, as I move that song file to the second computer where I then feed it out to the MOTU hardware, which is patched into my mixer, and I mix on the mixer and feed it back to the first computer where I record the final mix (what I call "printing").

For room sound, I have 2 Wharfedale powered monitors. Everything runs through a patch bay so I can send this to that or that to the other. I just painted and reorganized the studio and I will get pictures up when I finish wiring and all. Both PCs are 3.2ghz dual core with 4 gig of RAM in one and 2 in the other. The one I mix through doesn't need the horsepower as the one I write on.

BIAB is a great tool to create backgrounds to sing and play over. RB is going to give you more options to expand. The service is great and the forums are full of knowledgeable people who are willing to help. Not a "take a number" company at all like the big boxes who say "send and email" and you hear from them in 4 days.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® Version 2018 for Windows is a HIT!

Since the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows, we've received some great feedback!

"Oh wow. [The Audio Chord Wizard] has got to be the coolest enhancement to 2018 Band-in-a-Box. This is so-o-o powerful. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!"
"2018 is a great release in so many ways!"
"Nice work, as usual!!"
"Luvin' it so far!"
"And yet again you manage to come up with styles and instruments that we absolutely 'must have'!"
"Great to have the Oohs and Ahhs RealTracks!"
"The RealTracks are worth their weight in gold to me. They really are an amazing invention for music creators."
"Every one of these tracks is phenomenal!"
"You guys just keep blowing us away."
"This is an amazing product. I tip my hat and thank you immensely."
"Awesome job once again!"
"What an unexpected treat!"
"What a fantastic idea PG music! I love to know who specifically thought of this idea. What an unexpected treat!!"
"Video set number three with Oliver Gannon is phenomenal just by itself! I've been asking for additional instruction from him for sometime And here it is! Plus it looks like there's something for everyone. You really out did yourself on this one PG Music - way to go!"
"Just tonight popped together a quick video using one of the new video styles. Must say the whole process worked without a hitch so this really does look like a great new feature. And what a great teaching aid this could be!"
"Come on, whats not to like about this"
"The new Audio Chord Wizard is my favorite new feature!"
"THIS IS EXCITING!"
"This should be great for creating backing tracks for covers."
"I know what I'm getting for Christmas!"
"What a release!!!"
"The XTRA Styles are fantastic any future idle music-related minutes I may have had are now totally gone gonna find that perfect background rhythm on just about every one of my favorites!!!"
"Recent retirement and the 2018 version of BIAB is a perfect combination!!"
"it's educational utility and potential is awesome!!!"
"I must say, the new harmony options in particular have me champing at the bit!"
"Love the new Video RealTracks!"
"The mixer included into the StylePicker is a great addition."
"This will give my students a great overview of what's going on in an arrangement with the different instruments.!!!"
"A musician must have."
"Lovin' the new RealTracks!!!"
"Amazing!"

Upgrade your Band-in-a-Box® to version 2018 during our special for great savings & Bonus PAKs! www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.packages.htm

Vocal "Oohs" and "Aahs" RealTracks Tutorial Video

Here's a video showing you the different ways you can use the Vocal "Oohs" and "Aahs" RealTracks, new with Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows!

Video link - Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows, now with Vocal "Oohs" and "Aahs" RealTracks!

Plus, here are two audio demos, the full versions of two of the songs that appear in this video:

http://demos.pgmusic.com/audio/allstyledemos2/_LAZYDAY_full_demo.m4a
http://demos.pgmusic.com/audio/allstyledemos2/DownByTheSalleyGardens_with_VocalOohsAahs.m4a

Purchase RealTrack Set 278: Shiny Vocals Oohs and Aahs for just $29 here. It's also included in the Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows PlusPAK, UltraPAK, and Audiophile Edition.

Band-in-a-Box® Version 2018 Build 506 Update Available!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows users can download the latest Build 506 at http://www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#506

Summary of Changes since 2018 Build 205:
Added: "Export Song as Audio File..." menu item has been added to the Audio menu.
Added: BB2018 tutorials folder.
Added: New styles (STY files) for many of the new RealTracks in Sets 278-300 and MIDI SuperTracks sets 25-27.
Added: StylePicker User Categories updated for Xtra Styles PAK 4.
Updated: Styles database
Updated: Various improvements (including Db offset adjustments) to many of the new STY files and .SGU demos included with RealTracks Sets 278-300.
Fixed: "K3" did not work in the chord sheet for copying 3 bars (8 bars would be copied instead).
Fixed: Band-in-a-Box always opens with a maximized window briefly before resizing to the user's saved size.
Fixed: Band-in-a-Box will not open using the proper window size if the Mixer window was open while exiting.
Fixed: Deleting a region of chords would cause "Undo Delete Bars" to appear in the Edit menu, but do nothing unless chosen twice.
Fixed: Error "Input and output sample rates must match" might show when the devices do have matching sample rates.
Fixed: Flash messages were not being added to the flash message log.
Fixed: If Band-in-a-Box was in DAW Plugin mode while exiting, the window size was not restored the next time opening the program.
Fixed: Rendering .m4a or video files might fail and request that the user install QuickTime if using Windows 7. QuickTime should only be necessary for Windows Vista or XP.
Fixed: Some of the Oohs and Aahs (Vocal) RealTracks were not working correctly, and they have been greatly improved.
Fixed: Sometimes when deleting a note in the notation window, you will be asked "OK to delete chord".
Fixed: The "Show Flash Tips" setting did not have any effect when disabled.
Fixed: WashboardBluegrass drums.
Fixed: When exiting DAW Plugin mode, the window would not return to its previous size (it would become maximized).

Have Your Band-in-a-Box® Delivered In Time for Christmas!

The gift of music... some say this is the greatest gift of all! Imagine receiving the tools to help you create your own music for Christmas... like Band-in-a-Box!

If you are in the United States or Canada, order Band-in-a-Box before 12:30 pm Pacific time December 21st for Express delivery in time for Christmas.

If you are outside of North America, order before 12:30 pm Pacific time December 19th for Express delivery in time for Christmas.

With major savings and Bonus PAKs until December 31st, it's a great time to purchase Band-in-a-Box upgrades as a gift for someone you know... or for yourself!
http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.packages.htm

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 - Xtra Styles PAK Quick Start Tutorial Video

Our latest video includes a Quick Start tutorial on the installation, locations, and use of the Band-in-a-Box® Xtra Styles PAKs in Version 2018 for Windows. Video: Xtra Styles PAK Quick Start Tutorial

We have put all of our Xtra Styles PAKs on SALE! Until December 31st, purchase any Xtra Styles PAK (1 - 4) for just $29 each! (reg. $49) www.pgmusic.com/xtrastyles.php?os=win

User Blog - How To Record a Cover Song Using Band-in-a-Box and RealBand

Joanne Cooper's final blog post for 2017, How to record a cover song using Band-in-a-Box and RealBand is a must-read!

Joanne summarizes the steps she took to produce her cover of "Old Lang Syne" - her final result was posted to the User Showcase Forum: Listen to Auld Lang Syne

https://www.joannecooper.co.za/blog/blog/how-to-record-a-cover-song-using-band-in-a-box-and-realband

Announcing…The Birth of a Song (w/Floyd Jane)

We are excited to announce the release of a new project: The Birth of a Song (w/Floyd Jane)

Songwriter Floyd Jane shows the songwriting process from inspiration to performance and publication: http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=IYMMZVvQdCw

The idea for this project came about when many members on this forum and elsewhere were asking questions about the song writing process. There are many aspects, and many parts of it necessary to create a song, get it arranged, performed, and then published on the internet. So we asked the great songwriter Floyd Jane, who is a regular member on this forum, if he could help. Floyd agreed and was even able to collaborate with other forum members, Janice and Bud. The result is this video we put together that you can see on YouTube or Facebook, called "The Birth of a Song (w/Floyd Jane)".

We hope this video helps other songwriters with their songwriting process, and also shows them tools that are available to them along the way. Also, we mention this User Showcase Forum, and hope to see many new aspiring or accomplished songwriters join this community :blush:

A big Thank You to Floyd for sharing your knowledge with the community and making this possible. And to Janice and Bud for your great collaboration!

Here is Floyd's original forum post for his song "A Little Bit Of Me": http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=433190

Check out Floyd / Janice & Bud’s music here:
http://floydjane.com/
https://www.janiceandbud.com/

Forum Stats
26730 Members
50 Forums
48960 Topics
400251 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Jim Psm, Alessandro, noviceman, tonnyfoals, SharonWilcher

26730 Registered Users