Go To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Bablefish translater?

Cheers,
Mike

My Music * Asus ROG Strix G15CF 32 GB DDR4 4TB HDD + 1 TB SSD NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 8GB Win 11 AKAI EIE PRO Sound Interface. BIAB/RB 2024 UltraPak Build - Latest
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Wow,now that's VERBOSE.

I pale by comparison, and feel an antique attitude aptly describes by definition duly documented. Shurely martin muses on mystical moments, but my modem muddles along marvoulously.

I have and use Norton products, but have to admit, that's becoming his gig.

As said there are tracks all over the place. Look for 96 tears. I can wail away at that on the keyboard/organ for hours. I just want it to sound good, and I prefer realtracks.

I suppose gentlemen prefer midi now.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

<...>
Within 5 years all computers will be touch screen, tablet shaped or folded up, have wireless multiple ways, AND Band in a Box will run on a new revamped touch interface. And midi will be a memory. <...>

John you have a lot of good points, but here is where I respectfully disagree. MIDI will not disappear until another way for synthesizers to talk to each other gets invented. Before MIDI synth players had to be fenced in by a dozen or more keyboards piled on top of each other and in a U shape. MIDI not only became the solution for that so a synth player needs only one or two keyboards and lots of synth modules, but it also has become the communications system internally in most synthesizers.

MIDI came about with a rare cooperation between competing brands of synthesizers back in the adolescent phase of the synth market. I don't see Yamaha, Roland, Kurzweill, Casio, Moog, Hammond, Korg, M-Audio, Ensoinq, Novation, Technics, Akai, Buchla, and the other companies getting together again for a new standard any time soon. Especially since MIDI still works well and has room for more growth.

Saying MIDI will be a memory is like saying synths will be a memory. I could be wrong, but I don't see synths or MIDI disappearing in my lifetime.

I do see it disappearing in the amateur/hobbyist market because it's easier to play loops than to create the music yourself.

Another point I disagree with is the audience does give a hoot about signature licks. They may think your rendition of whatever is good enough, but if someone else comes along and does it better, they will know the difference. When I play the signature lick on the intro to "Don't Be Cruel" the audience responds before I sing the first note. Same for the intro to "Old Time Rock And Roll", "New York NY", "Electric Boogie", "Memory" (from Cats), "Sea Cruise", "At Last", "Key Largo", "Come Monday", "You'll Never Find Another Love Like Mine", "California Dreaming", "Build Me Up Buttercup", "Margaritaville", "Crocodile Rock", "Proud Mary", "Sweet Caroline", "Smooth" (Santana), "Conga", "Volcano", "Turn The Beat Around", "Dancing Queen", "Dreams" (Fleetwood Mac),"Hot Hot Hot", "Jumpin' Jack Flash", "Just The Way You Are", "Pretty Woman", "Satin Doll", "That's Amore", "Time In A Bottle" and dozens of other songs. They hit the dance floor before the first note is sung, because they know those hooks.

You even hear the "1,001 Strings" and other Muzak versions of pop songs doing the signature licks, because in many songs, these licks are important to the song. When I learn a song I determine which songs I think must have those signature licks in them and I include them. On other songs I may completely re-arrange the tune. It's my choice, it's my personal artistic taste (for what that's worth) and MIDI allows me to make that choice - pre-recorded loops do not.

But I also agree without the vocals and/or other lead instruments on top of the background, the best backing track in the world is pretty worthless. I also think that the solos in Peter's excellent example are a bit part of the reason why his sounds better. When I play that sequence, I sing and play guitar licks live on top of it and Leilani plays rhythm guitar and does fill-in vocals. By then you hardly know that the brass sounds only sound 'almost' like real horns and the drums are cigital samples of real drums instead of digital recordings of the drums themselves.

Quote:

Bob your points are certainly valid, to a degree. Where i disagree is where you make a finite statement. The net is full of karaoke midi files. Van Basco and many other sites, to name at least one.

I've visited those sites and most of the MIDIs I found there are not well done. Many of them are step entered or played by a hobbyist who doesn't play to pro standards. It's rare to find the gem in all that schlock. But it's like YouTube videos, people want to show off their stuff, although IMO some people should work on their skills more before they do.

Quote:

Your song is a perfect example, the piano chops chink chink chink are in absolute perfect timing, not capable of the variables that Peter RT had

I played those piano parts live into a sequencer before I imported the snippets into the BiaB styles. I play all the parts of my styles live into a sequencer that has a resolution of up to 960ppq. Any quantization done would be by PG Music's archaic 120ppq resolution in BiaB. It takes the 960ppq and resolves the timing 8 times coarser. 240 to well over 900ppq is the standard of the industry and people have been asking for at least 240 on the wish list for over a decade. It's not the fault of MIDI, it's the fault of the resolution. It is one of the reasons why we MIDI folks want PG Music to improve the core MIDI functions alongside the RT improvements. We don't mind the RTs as long as PG doesn't abandon the improvements to the MIDI functions (there is a long list but that's another thread on the wish list).

Quote:

I just think it is a bit narrow viewed to say one is better than the other, and kind of like saying a hammer is better than a saw. That might be true until you need to cut the board.

I agree, which is why I try to give all due respect for the RTs, and never claimed that MIDI is better for everyone, but it is definitely better for me.

I've stated that if I was using a songwriting demo, I'd use RTs, but if I wanted to play live I'd use MIDIs. And I gave my personal reasons and included YMMV. One tool for each job.

And I have quite a few customers, mostly professionals who agree with me.

Again this thread started as "unhappy with MIDI sounds" and I'm simply trying to explain why the user is unhappy with the sounds in his/her synthesizer and what the actual pros to MIDI are. Sacrificing a little sound quality for greater personal expression is the way I choose to go. Again YMMV.

There are Rap stars who have had hit records without playing a single instrument - 100% loops of other people playing -- and without any singing. On the other end of the spectrum there are people who want nothing but acoustic instruments recorded in an analog format. Neither method is right or wrong, and most of us make our music somewhere between the two extremes.

The thing to know is what the pros and cons of all the available methods are and choose the one or the combination that is right for you. I choose MIDI because it allows me to personalize all my parts. And I choose to play a MIDI wind controller, natural singing voice, acoustic sax, acoustic flute, and electric guitar over the tops of those tracks. It works for me. Leilani and I have been making our living in the same duo since 1985. What works for another will be slightly different. YMMV.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
I can agree with most of that Bob. I can even see your logic for sure. I certainly agree that signature licks are vital to many songs. I try to have a nice mix where the signature licks are there, and some that are my take on the song. Some songs are just so dated, that a good new version can do wonders.

We have a full tool box, and also the ability to chose what tool we want for the job. A hammer might make a very bad saw, but as far as saws go a circular, saber, or jig saw can all cut wood.

I do appreciate your thoughts especially since you come from a background of 27 years of experience.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
MIDI sounds can be fabulous, as good or better than "actual" for some instruments (especially bass, piano, drums). Particularly if you're recording your own tunes, able to play the parts on keyboards, yes, choose MIDI instruments, and you'll get great results. No hassles about setting up mics to record the instruments etc.

But if we're talking about Band-in-a-Box ** styles **, its a different question....

Band-in-a-Box RealTracks styles aren't just real instrument samples, that could be duplicated with a good MIDI modules. They also contain the nuances of a real musician playing his instrument. Band-in-a-Box MIDI styles do not.

Rather than try to describe which approach is better, why not have a listen to the results, and judge for yourself.

Comparison Demos... Band-in-a-Box RealTracks styles and MIDI styles
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/showflat.p...SID=#Post347191

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Peter i find that almost every cover tune i do now has at least one RT in it. Even if I stay with a midi signature lick for easy Identity, i find that adding an RT or two breathes life into the song. A nice muted guitar, and maybe a finger picked guitar, or a subtle bit of fiddle, or Pedal steel.

I gotta say the multi riff feature is one of the best. It seems to be able to place the solo in the best spots, where when i do it myself it is sometimes just a tad off.

Bob's point about the flexibility of midi is spot on, and he makes some powerful points, but i gotta say i love RTs they have opened up a big door for me.

Variety is the spice of life.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Quote:

<...>To my ears, if the recorded musicians were good and the recording engineer did a good job, the recording will sound much better than any MIDI sequence through any sound module.

But it would sound like a good recording, not a good live performance. There is a huge difference between the two.

Notes, I have great respect for you as a person and as a musician. Please hear what I'm about to say in that context. Some of what's being said here doesn't jive with what's been said before

I seem to recall you saying on more than one occasion that you have been playing along with MP3s for quite some time. If there is a difference between the raw punch of a MIDI module and that of an audio file, both played through the same PA... by going to the MP3s, you've put yourself in the same place as the guy using real tracks. Once you've ended up with audio, the punch is in the mixing and mastering

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

I play in a duo for a living. There are other duos in our area who use karaoke tracks they purchase on the 'net. Nothing wrong with that either. However, IMHO having real instruments in the backing track sounds like karaoke. Something about the timbre, the mix, and the blending of the instruments sound like a recording instead of a live performance.

Regarding the notion that songs recorded with Real Tracks sound like karaoke: I've researched the karaoke route, and an awful lot of it is MIDI. I dare say it's the MIDI stuff that gives karaoke a bad name. The BEST karaoke is recorded by real musicians in a studio. Now, if you're saying that real Tracks sound like the karaoke that's recorded by real musicians in a studio... that says something completely different about the sound of real tracks.

Quote:

Judging from the comments our audience members, many audience members know the difference too, because they tell me comments like, "Band X is only doing karaoke". The word only is the killer to my ears.

I dare say, the difference the audience notices is in your vibrant performance more than in the backing tracks. We're talking about the same audiences who barely differentiate between a real band, a DJ and karaoke.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

The different tools in your toolbox are for different applications. You can use the big crescent wrench to hammer a nail, but a real hammer will work better.

wait.. .are you saying that totally synthetic music is the real hammer but professional studio musicians playing note-perfect passages = the musical equivalent of using a crescent wrench to drive a nail??

whoah.

In the end, whether you start with MIDI or real tracks then mix down to an audio file for final use, you end up with a backing track that sounds like a live musician played it. Why on earth would you steadfastly resist using such a great tool?

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
A buddy of mine here is a drummer. Yamaha give him his drums. He tours with different bands, and it's all he's ever done.

Rockaoke! All the gear is setup. You get to sit in. Bring your axe. Drumsticks. Voice.

So the band plays, you sit in (even if one of them sits out), and you have Rockaoke!

That's how he fills in the Sunday to Wednesday slots when there's no work.

He tells me, once he got the gear hundreds of decent guitar players want to play. You just can't make money doing it. This way, only he gets paid. The guitar players have to know a standard repetoire they learn first.

Alas they start at 10 p.m. I'm in bed. No matter where I am, LOL.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Rockaoke..
that's an interesting concept.

it's kind of like combining open mic with a band that uses hired guns instead of regular members. The difference is that with Open Mic and karaoke, nobody gets paid. This way at least the guy who's clever enough to set it up can make some money.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
In this case it's my friend Archie. He's single, a good drummer, and has a brain. He has never had a non music job, has been in at least 12 bands, 3 that have been around.

Like I said, any place that is over 250,000 probably has 2,000 or more guitar players and they all want in.

I think it's a cool concept but you need the group and a market.

The wife and I were out tonight and I liked the band, so it's 2:30, we saw a show, (Again I understood ZERO all night, ) then went to a local bar I used to go to 30 years ago, and the band played a lot of stuff I sort of know.

I'm undecided on all that. My hearing is crazy bad. Love yours, you have no idea. The lack of even a small part is a huge loss. The biggest thing I would like back is that. The lack of balance, the fact I have NO spit, the sore neck, the weird hair loss, that's nothing, my hearing is the thing I want back, and it's just gone for good.

And, now for something completely different.!!! I fart in your general direction!!!!

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Quote:

Plus for my purposes, backing tracks for live duo performance (1) I'm going to play the solos myself and (2) to me the RTs sound too much like karaoke.

YMMV

That's funny, I feel the same about every full midi track I have heard! So I guess my Mileage Does Vary...

The old argument that "midi don't make a sound" is moot really, because a well created midi track played back thru the even the windows GM will sound well arranged & acceptable...but it will STILL sound like midi.

The best midi track I have ever heard from this forum is from Mac. His Steely Dan cover is tops...but it still sounds "midi"....there is no infliction of notes, no "feel" if I can use that term without getting crucified. What I mean is that even tho the ENTIRE track sounds great, there is no "feel" to each instrument of the whole.

The RT are the same tho...you have to "re-generate & re-generate" parts to get something both Different AND Acceptable at times...but the Sound of a Real Musician playing even the Same Part over & over 3 or 4 times across a whole song is more acceptable than a midi part IMHO.....

i5 3.20GHz, 32gb RAM, 1tb SSD OS, 12tb HDD, 4gb gForce vid card, 32" monitor, Audient id44, Win10 x64, BiaB/RB 2023, Reaper 6,IK Multimedia Total Studio 3.5 MAX, Waves 10
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

<...snip...>

Notes, I have great respect for you as a person and as a musician. Please hear what I'm about to say in that context. Some of what's being said here doesn't jive with what's been said before

I seem to recall you saying on more than one occasion that you have been playing along with MP3s for quite some time. If there is a difference between the raw punch of a MIDI module and that of an audio file, both played through the same PA... by going to the MP3s, you've put yourself in the same place as the guy using real tracks. Once you've ended up with audio, the punch is in the mixing and mastering

There is a lot of difference between playing for a LP/Tape/CD/DVD than for playing for a live audience. I've done both, and what I play and the way I play my sax for a record is way different for the way I play my sax for a live audience.

There is a world of difference in how musicians approach playing in a studio. This is why so many great bands use studio musicians for their recordings while they play their own instruments live. Studio people know how to make a good recording, live people know how to play to an audience. Of course there are many who can change proverbial hats and do both.

Plus when recording for a CD/LP/Tape the recording engineer and later the mastering engineer use a good deal of compression, equalization and other FX to 'smooth out' (for lack of a better term) the recording. Everything seems to blend.

The main difference might be that I am not using any compression (other than the slight compression of a high bit rate mp3 file), another difference is that I have the parts mixed for a live performance, another difference is I have exaggerated the groove for live performance, another difference is I have different amounts of reverb and other FX on my MIDI instruments so that they don't blend and sound more separate (the acoustics of the room will take care of that) just like live musicians do, another difference is that I am recording the MIDI parts as if I might play them live, not as a studio session. I'm not sure as I let my ears be the judge as I play the music and play with the computer apps.

I do know that when I played my MIDI file of the Etta James version of "Shakey Ground" and followed it with the recording of Etta James singing it for a musician friend who happened to be there, his first comment was that my backing track has a lot more punch than the recording. He wasn't listening to evaluate our performance, he had never heard the song by Etta James before so after we rehearsed it, we played the Etta version for him.

Those musicians on the Etta James' "7 Year Itch" LP/CD are monsters, and I don't consider myself to be better than them by any stretch of the imagination. In fact, my backing track is an approximation, as close as I could get to the recording for the basic parts that I wanted to cover, leaving out parts for us to play live. The difference is that the recording was played, mixed and mastered for a recording, and my backing track was played, mixed and mastered for a live performance.

If I were playing to a karaoke track of the same song, it would sound like karaoke and wouldn't have the punch of my present backing track.

It's also why many of our audience members come up to us and tell us they appreciate the fact that we aren't doing karaoke like _________ (here they name some of our competitors). The audience members can tell the difference, even if they can't put their finger on why.

Again I'm not dissing RTs, I think they sound great, and I think PG Music has worked their usual magic with them. There are pros and cons to everything. If you have a car that gives you great performance, you have to sacrifice fuel efficiency. When using MIDI you sacrifice a little tone (depending on your synth) but you gain the ability to manipulate the sounds and therefore the expression of the track(s).

And for those of you who think MIDI cannot be as expressive as a 'real' instrument, remember virtually every modern synthesizer has MIDI 'under the hood'. Try telling Keith Emerson, Stevie Wonder, Rick Wakeman, and thousands of other synth players both on stage and in the studio that, and I think they will respectfully disagree.

I posted the solo of me playing synth guitar on this page http://www.nortonmusic.com/clips.html on a major guitar forum. I played it on a wind MIDI controller and a Yamaha VL70m synth module with the "turbo" chip in it. I asked the guitarists to evaluate my guitar playing, not telling them it was done on a synth. I got loads of compliments, one even told me that the guitar playing was "Jeff Beck like" (wow! that blew me away, I love Jeff's playing) and after the thread ran a few pages I admitted that I wasn't playing a guitar at all. The comments after that were still favorable with comments like "amazing", and only one person posted that there was something about it that sounded like it wasn't a real guitar, but he wasn't sure about that.

MIDI like any other instrument takes time and practice to learn. I didn't play the sax, flute, guitar, bass, drums, wind synth, or MIDI sequencer well the first time I picked each on of them up. It took practice and time to develop my hand/ear coordination. And while some people may think of it as work, I think of it as play. It is simply a matter of putting the time in it while you strive to improve your skills. The rest takes care of itself while you are playing. And I mean playing.

I call all these instruments toys until it's time to do my income taxes for the year, then they suddenly become tax deductible tools.

So for me, any compromise in tonal quality of MIDI tracks is more than compensated by the ability to manipulate the MIDI tracks, to play with them until I get something better than the original (at least to my ears). If I want that guitar to play a song specific lick at the end of the phrase, I can do it ... if I want to change a few bass notes to complement the rest of the song, I can do it ... if I want to create an accent and then a swell on the string line in a particular place, I can do it ... if I want to change that electric piano part to an 'attack clav', I can do it ... if I want to change those brass licks to piano or organ parts, I can do it ... if I want to change the 'leslie' speed on the organ from slow to fast on a particular chord, I can do it ... if I want to add a lot of chorus to that Rhodes part, I can do it ... if I want to scoop a sax note on the attack of a note, I can do it ... if I want to change that picked bass to a synth bass, I can do it ... if I want the entire 'band' to play a rhythmic 'kick', I can do it ... if I want to change the intro or the ending, I can do it ... if I want more snare drum on the 2nd and 4th beat of each measure, I can do it ... if I want a drum accent to help kick the attack of that horn line, I can do it ... the possibilities are only limited by my imagination and the MIDI tools at my disposal. I can't do any of that with pre-recorded loops.

I repeat: So for me, any compromise in tonal quality of MIDI tracks is more than compensated by the ability to manipulate the MIDI tracks. Of course, as always YMMV. There is more than one right way to make music.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I think that it would be a good idea for PG to make a realtrack to feature the one and only Bob "Notes" Norton.

musiclover

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
On this comparison page (RealTracks, software MIDI synths, hardware MIDI synths)....
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=347191&page=0&fpart=all&vc=1

on request, we added a few more soft and hardware synths....

Software Roland Hypercanvas (TTS-1)
- note: this is available as a purchase from us (you buy Cakewalk Music Creator ($39), and it includes this great synth. http://www.pgmusic.com/musiccreator.features.htm

Software Coyote Forte $40
http://www.pgmusic.com/coyotefortedxi.htm

Hardware (older) Roland Sound Canvas SC-155

====================
Here's a list of all the synths (and RealTracks) demo'd in this link....

The MIDI synths are the
1. Roland VSC Software (Virtual Sound Canvas), (similar to MS GS WaveTable and Coyote WT Wavetable)
2. Roland Hypercanvas (TTS-1) software (better than the Virtual Sound Canvas, and compatible with all Windwos versions. (32 and 64 bit)
3. Coyote Forte Softsynth
4. Roland SD-20 Hardware Sound Canvas (newer module)
5. Roland SC-155 Hardware Sound Canvas (older module)
6. Ketron SD2 Hardware Module

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Off-Topic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I have BIAB now for about a month .Those GM2 Sounds are terrible ,I don't know why anyone would put that junk on a product ,It sounds like a Toy Keyboard .It is the Real Tracks that got my Interest.If there is a song that sounds cheap I try to convert them to Real Styles or Tracks. It makes a big Difference.My next step will be to have hands free control over track control in Real Time. I'M Looking into Foot Switches to control my computer keyboard so that I can have access to muting and un muting Tracks. I see you can program solos in different parts of a song but in my opinion being able to use foot control for that is far better because you can drop solos or tracks in and out of a song any where and any time in the song .It feels less robotic and gives even more realistic sound to a song in Real Styles.Over all I've been having lots of fun so far with BIAB.

Regards,
Greg

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

... Those GM2 Sounds are terrible ,I don't know why anyone would put that junk on a product , ..

You wanna know how I know you haven't really read the thread?

GM sounds can be very good, depends on the synth.
I swear I'm gonna make a GM song some time on a bunch of different synths just to prove the point. (oops Peter has already done that above)
I wrote a classical piece once, for just such a comparison to a friend. *Which* GM synth it was written on (and played on) made a huge difference. Then when it was customized to fit a certain sample set (GM or not) it was an even bigger difference.
Someone made a good analogy recently; MIDI is like a written score. It has all the info, but what each note sounds like is up to the sound source (be it musician or synth)

Again; MIDI has no sound, it's just a spec. So is GM and GM2 .. it can sound like a toy or an orchestra. It would be fun to take that classical piece and try it on the really nice orchestra softsynths, but it's low on budget priority right now.

That said, I agree the realtracks sure are nice and fun to work with.

Last edited by rharv; 01/10/12 05:25 PM.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Off-Topic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
When I had my Yamaha psrs900 arranger it sounded good right out of the box that is because from the start they use only high quality sounds. I would agree GM can sound good if you spend time and money on a Synth to do that but don't you think Biab could have taken the time to have Taken care of that before they put it in the Box? But from a business stand point the less they put into a product the more they make so I understand that side of the fence also . So It all comes down to dollars and cents. but over all I like the product because the Real Styles are Ready to go.

Regards,
Greg

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

I would agree GM can sound good if you spend time and money on a Synth to do that but don't you think Biab could have taken the time to have Taken care of that before they put it in the Box? But from a business stand point the less they put into a product the more they make so I understand that side of the fence also . So It all comes down to dollars and cents. but over all I like the product because the Real Styles are Ready to go.

Regards,
Greg

are you suggesting that PGMusic should have shipped your software bundled with a $1,000 hardware synth?

A good system accommodates a wide variety of accessories. Each customer prefers different gear. PGMusic's job is to make sure that whatever the customer buys, it works with the system.

Likewise, you can get good food if you spend time and money on it. But When you buy a refrigerator, it doesn't come stocked with food. Each person fills it with the food he/she likes.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,614
Posts735,144
Members38,517
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
maxrob61, TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01, Juan Jose
38,516 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 182