Print Thread
Go To
#143310 12/26/11 05:08 AM
PowerTracks Pro Audio
T
OP Offline
T
Hi,
I use PowerTracks Pro 2011. When I record a MIDI track, all first notes of a given value in any measure appear with unnecessary accidentals (for example, in C, naturals on C, E, G...) I have to click "Edit Note", then "Forced Accidentals / Auto" (instead of "Natural"), which would be quite a chore for a whole song. Sometimes it seems like the program considers that the track is in C minor, but that does not seem like the explanation each time. BTW, in the list of keys where you can change one, I see no minor key.... Thanks in advance for the help.
Tom Goldschmidt

PowerTracks Pro Audio
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Tom,

First thing to look at is the issue of minor keys. Basically, every major key has what we call a relative minor key which has exactly the same sharps or flats as the major. The minor key is always three semitones down from the major, so for example C would have the relative minor of A minor, whilst G would have E minor and so on. To set up PT for a minor key you just select the relative major.

The other problem is more strange. Are you sure that PT is booting each new file in the key of C? If you've saved an $OPTIONS file, or a template in a different key it will start a new file in that key and you'll need to change it back to C before you start.

Let us know if this doesn't sort it and someone else might have a better idea.

Regards, ROG.

PowerTracks Pro Audio
T
OP Offline
T
Hi, thank you !
About the reletive minor : of course, but I thought that maybe, as obviously there was something wrong with the "C" (major) option, trying some Am would maybe sort things out. I uninstalled and reinstalled PT, same problem. My trials seem to be in C, there are no sharps or flats at the key signature, and when I click there I read "C". "C" also on the toolbar and in "Options/Key Signature". If I try another key signature, I also get loads of unnecessary naturals. I imported a MIDI file, notation showed all right. I started a file inserting notes with the mouse, notation showed all right. I tried recording a new file, unwanted naturals all over the place.
Then I turned off my A-33 MIDI keyboard and turned it on again, althought it gave perfectly normal results in two other sequencers.. Played a few notes. Notation showed OK. Ten I loaded a file which had showed unnecessary naturals. And the track showed OK in Notation. Then I recorded a new file : junk again.
Other trouble : when I try to import a Band In A Box song, having selected "Band In A Box" Songs (?G?), I get an error message "Not a PowerTracks .SEQ file". I also get "Access violation at adress .... in module 'pwt.exe" when I open a track I just recorded.
I feel a bit depressed...

PowerTracks Pro Audio
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Tom,

It does start to look as if there's some conflict between PT and the A-33. Certainly, if PT enters notes ok using the mouse and a re-set on the A-33 cures things for a while, that's what I'd guess. Have you got access to any other keyboard just to try it? If it works ok, then we start to look at what problems the A-33 might have.

I'm not a Band In A Box user, so maybe someone else can pick this up?

ROG.

PowerTracks Pro Audio
Veteran
Veteran
PTW does not open BiaB files (that I know of), Realband does.
If you have BiaB you should have Realband, which looks and acts much like PTW. Maybe try that.

Last edited by rharv; 12/26/11 01:04 PM.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
PowerTracks Pro Audio
T
OP Offline
T
Rog, thanks for trying ;-) but with a Yamaha MIDI keyboard I get the same problem. Rharv, at least PowerTracks Pro Audio 2011 is supposed to import BB files : if you click "Import" inthe File menu, you have an option ""Band In A Box" Songs (?G?)". But it does not work here.
Tom

PowerTracks Pro Audio
Veteran
Veteran
Check that the BiaB file is not newer than PT2011. Some features may have been added ..
Didn't remember PT2011 as importing BiaB files, but if it is listed it must be able to. Do you have the latest PT2011 update? (free from pgmusic in the support area)
Do you have Realband to try it in?

Last edited by rharv; 12/26/11 03:09 PM.

PowerTracks Pro Audio
T
OP Offline
T
Rharv, thanks, but the BIAB file is from 2009, PT is version 2011. I see no update for it on http://www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm so I suppose it is up to date. Thanks for advising me Realband, but it is a bit strange after buying PT as a BIAB-related DAW... If RB is that, what is the reason to keep selling PT ?
Tom

PowerTracks Pro Audio
Veteran
Veteran
PT is a Daw available for people who don't own BiaB .. just a recording software for a great price.

Once they incorporated more BiaB features into it and included it with BiaB (and it became Realband), there is really no reason for BiaB users to have PT. Realband is PT *plus* so much more. You're going to like it. You can generate parts (like in BiaB) right in Realband, but functionally it acts just like PT. It's a combination of both worlds, and for some it's actually better than BiaB (depending on how you work).
Very cool that PGMusic added it to the BiaB purchase.

PowerTracks Pro Audio
T
OP Offline
T
That should be explained clearly to potential buyers, the way you just did. Now... is there somewhere a warrant that RB would not clutter my staffs with stupid useless naturals ? ;-)

Tom

PowerTracks Pro Audio
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Tom and rharv.

Yeah, it's right that when you go to open a file in PT one of the file type options to view is BiaB and so I suppose you should be able to do that. Is it possible that PT will only open BiaB files which contain just MIDI tracks, so that you can add your own audio?

Just a shot in the dark. I've no way of checking, but perhaps you can?
Still thinking about the other thing!

ROG.

PowerTracks Pro Audio
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
Hey Tom, guess what? I might have found the answer.

Open the NOTATION window and at the top left corner you'll see a button for Opt. Click this and you're into the notation settings. Up near the top left of this window is a box labeled TRANSPOSE. If you've got anything but a zero in this box it produces exactly the problem you describe. What's worse is that the setting is preserved even after a re-boot of PT. The only way back is to change it manually.

Please let me know if this works so I can get some sleep!

ROG.

PowerTracks Pro Audio
T
OP Offline
T
Rog, do go and get some sleep ! That's what I'll do, it's 1:21 pm here in Brussels, my music computer is downstairs and turned off ... BTW the BB file I tried to open had no audio, only MIDI in it. Thanks, I'm anxious to try your tip, although I already messed with that Notation/Options/Transpose. Tomorrow is another day (God willing and the creek don't rise).

Tom.

PowerTracks Pro Audio
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
As it happens, the creek (or mill stream as we call it) runs about fifteen feet from the back of our house, but it's not rising at the moment!

One other thing which comes to mind is the MIDI thru setting. If you're on TRACK-SPECIFIC the check boxes come into play. There's one for KEY which has works in some mysterious way that I'm not too sure about, but it would seem like a good idea to see if it's set to zero.

ROG.

PowerTracks Pro Audio
Veteran
Veteran
PT2011 does have BIAB import capability; however, unlike RealBand, it does not have the BIAB accompaniment generation engine. When you open a BIAB in PT, you only get the melody/soloist track, as well as the chord grid. None of the other BIAB tracks get generated.

PT will not use any RealTracks, but it can use RealDrums. The main difference, as I see it, between RealBand and PT now is that RealBand will automate a lot of the music generation process, where PT pretty much expects for you (and/or your band mates) to play the parts yourself, whether audio or MIDI.

I agree with Bob, however, that if you have BIAB (which means you should have RealBand), then use RealBand. PT is great, however, if you just need an audio/MIDI sequencer without the auto-generation features. PT is a whole lot less expensive than having to buy BIAB to get RealBand (and I suspect, it would be the same even if they offered RealBand separately, because to use RealBand to its fullest, you need all the RealTracks, etc, which is what adds to the price).

My $0.02 worth, decreasing in value every day.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
PowerTracks Pro Audio
T
OP Offline
T
Hi everybody, Notation/Options/Transpose is set to 0. I tried every possible trick, trying every key, transposing in every way... I disabled Midi Thru, and anyway the "key" check box was set to 0. Always naturals all over the place, without harmonic logic (I mean, it is not like it was showing "C" but in fact considering that the track is in another key...).
Will maybe the technical support at PG help me ?
Jford, I have BB 2007, which did not include RB. I record MIDI into BB with no trouble. Of course I can buy RB, but what if I am confronted to the same problem ?
Anyway, thanks for the information and efforts !

Tom

PS Glad that the creek seems quiet, Rog. But maybe it's the Creeks ! See http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Lord_willing_and_the_creek_don't_rise

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,393
Posts732,475
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195