Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Bob_B Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
I'm having a problem with changes in melody playback when using an all midi vs. all realtrack backing track. Here's a link to hear the problem: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=1111184. The first 12 bars used the "Cool_One - Slow Sw. Jazz guitar" midi backing, while the second 12 use _J085_GB "Cool Jazz Ballad" backing track. The melody is a simple triplet, triplet, 8th, 8th, rest.

Why am I having the problem and, more important, how do I get rid of it?

Equipment: Core I5 with 16gb RAM,M-audio fast track ultra with Ketron SD2, if that matters.

Thanks for the help,

Bob aka jazzwombat

PS: "midi v rt problem" mp3 on soundclick. Listen for the "hesitation" or lack of uniformity of the triplets when the RT backing (second set) is used.

Last edited by jazzwombat; 12/26/11 08:58 AM.
Veteran
Veteran
Bob,

Is the melody a midi melody or a live playing? Also, do you have the song set-up so that when the style changes it changes automatically for the second 12 bars?

If you have a style change from Midi to Realtracks, BIAB needs to generate the Realtracks and doing this requires a hefty amount of the computer's processor if "Fast generation of Realtracks" is enabled. The reason for this is that BIAB will commence playing before the Realtracks are fully generated and the completion of generation occurs as a background process. Now, if you throw into that mix the fact that you are also asking your computer to record audio, there's a lot being expected and the computer will share the processor between events. By comparison, generating a Midi-only accompaniment is fast and efficient and does not use too much computer power.

As an experiment, try deactivating the fast generation of Realtracks under "Opt | Preferences | Realtracks" and see if that makes a difference. With this turned off, the song will not commence until all Realtracks are complete so it will take longer to start up. The upside is, though, that if you are recording, pretty much all processing power can be devoted to that.

Hope these thoughts help,
Noel

Last edited by Noel96; 12/26/11 10:57 AM.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Bob_B Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Hi Noel:

It's directly from BIAB-generated notes on the melody track.

Bob

Veteran
Veteran
Hi Bob,

Please see my above post. I've edited it with extra information. (Just to keep everything in one place.)

Seeing you are using an external synth, it seems to me that you are recording audio at the same time that Realtracks are being generated.

As mentioned above, try deactivating the fast generation of Realtracks. Another thing you could try is to use the internal synth and see if the problem persists with that.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
How did you get the melody?

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
Bob_B Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Thanks Noel. Certainly worth a try, although the strange hesitation when RT backing is used is evident even if I am not recording, as you noted. I'll also try the "return to factory default", after saving my current preferences. I'm at my office right now, so I'll make the changes and report back later tonite.

Bob_B Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Quote:

How did you get the melody?

I keyed in the notes in the notation window for the first bar, and then copied to the next 11 with a 5 semitone increase (to go around the circle of 4ths). The notes look fine on the notation, leadsheet and in the piano roll windows.

Bob

Veteran
Veteran
I like the first version better. Oh, that's not what you are asking?

Yes, it does sound like the melodist has been drinking a bit the second time around. Can you send us the actual BIAB files so we can see if the issue in your system?

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Bob_B Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Quote:

I like the first version better. Oh, that's not what you are asking?

Yes, it does sound like the melodist has been drinking a bit the second time around. Can you send us the actual BIAB files so we can see if the issue in your system?

I'd be happy to do so, but how do I get the files to this forum? There doesn't seem to be an attachment option.

Bob

Veteran
Veteran
Try freezing the melody track.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
Veteran
Veteran
Here is Bob's (aka jazzwombat) file causing the weird effects .. when he uses a RT backing track, but not when using a midi backing.

I'll take a look at it a little later, in the meantime, perhaps someone can see this they can reproduce the problem.

Jeff's lick.MGU

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Bob_B Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Thanks jazzmandan! I tried freezing melody (and other instruments) without change. I restored to factory settings and that didn't seem to make any difference. I changed the realtracks options to favor a slower machine (I've got a relatively fast one) without change. I doublechecked my midi settings, and they seem to be right for my fasttrack and m-audio asio drivers. I'm left thinking it must be something with the file itself. I've played several songs that are demos of the various styles, changing from realtracks to midi styles, and couldn't replicate the problem. So, if someone has a minute to check out the file at jazzmandan's site, please let me know if you see something I've done wrong.

Thanks,

Bob

Veteran
Veteran
Bob,

The file plays fine for me using the _J085_GB.STY (Cool Jazz Ballad (85 RS))style. I'm using a VSt/DXi internal synth.

Are you using multiple choruses with this file and having the style change each time through?

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Bob_B Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Quote:

Bob,

The file plays fine for me using the _J085_GB.STY (Cool Jazz Ballad (85 RS))style. I'm using a VSt/DXi internal synth.

Are you using multiple choruses with this file and having the style change each time through?

Regards,
Noel

Hi Noel,

No. What you heard on my soundclick file was two separate recordings that I merged in Audacity. The first was using the midi style for one chorus of 12 bars, and the second was the RT (_J085_GB; Cool Jazz Ballad) style for one chorus of 12 bars.

So, does this suggest I have something set incorrectly in the midi preferences in BIAB or something needs to be change to the M-audio driver settings, or what? I checked the midi settings in BIAB and they look fine, but how would I know? Any suggestions for where to begin are appreciated. Thanks.

Bob

Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Bob,

Same findings here. The midi melody playes right on beat as expected with this RT Style. Not at all like I heard in the recoding you provided earlier in this thread. BTW, I am using heh Coyote Forte Dxi synth.

Veteran
Veteran
Bob,

Route Melody through the Coyote WT VST/DXi and see if the problem persists. This will allow us to identify where the problem might be occurring.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Bob_B Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Hi Noel,

I routed thru Coyote Forte DXi and used the M-Audio ASIO driver that I used previously. If anything, I believe the problem got worse. I posted the mp3 on my soundclick page: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=1111184.

What strikes me as odd is the randomness of the "triplet mistake". I swear I've listened to the RT of these 12 bars 4 or 5 dozen times, and the error in the melody never truly repeated itself. I've listened to a couple of other melodies, particularly ones I didn't enter myself ("Lady Bird" was one). Believe it or not, I can't hear problems with them, although they don't tend to have the bar-to-bar repetition that is in my file, so this may not be a fair comparison.

There are a couple of things I could try. For example, I could change to the ASIO4ALL driver -- bypassing both the FastTrack and Ketron -- and see what happens. Alternatively, I could reset to "ALL" factory default settings; previously I reset to "MOST" default setting, and that didn't seem to correct the problem. What else might I try? I'm at my wit's end.

Thanks for the help everyone. I appreciate your efforts.

Bob aka jazzwombat

Bob_B Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Interesting update:

I made separate files of the RT and midi 12-bar chart, and then listened to them in RealBand. First, both played flawlessly. Second, in each case the melody track was approximately 18 bars long and contained notes stretching beyond the 12 bar ending. I have no idea where these came from, but they are there in RB. Deleting them in RB made no difference: in each case, the triplets were replicated correctly.

Someone, please explain what the heck is going on here? I will copy and paste the 12 bars to a new file and see if that cures the problem, whatever it is.

Bob

Bob_B Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Copy and pasting did not cure the problem. So, as it stands, both midi and RealTrack files play correctly in RealBand, but triplets are not rendered properly when RealTracks backing is used in BIAB. ????

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Hi jazzwombat,

If this is possible with the Fast Track, you should try switching from ASIO to MME audio drivers in Band-in-a-Box. Just see if that changes anything.

If that is not possible, find out what the ASIO driver's buffer size is (should be able to see this in the ASIO control panel).

Blake

PG Music Inc.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,389
Posts732,446
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195