You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#143581 - 12/27/11 01:07 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] How do I add strings to my jazz ballad?
Fishb0bb Offline
Enthusiast

I have band in a box 2010. I need to add strings to my jazz ballad. Can some one help me out? Thank you!

#143582 - 12/27/11 01:14 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: How do I add strings to my jazz ballad? [Re: Fishb0bb]
MitchC Offline
Journeyman

Garritan Personal Orchestra or their newest product, Instant Orchestra. GPO is on sale for $99 right now. Will process midi string tracks. There are no 'real strings' tracks.

You could try the synth tracks to see if they might do the 'string' thing for you ?

#143583 - 12/27/11 01:19 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: How do I add strings to my jazz ballad? [Re: Fishb0bb]
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
Welcome to the forum.

BIAB will generate a string part for your song based on its chords. Right now, MIDI is the way to go, rather than RealTracks, for string parts. If you pick a style that has strings, you should find the program will write the parts for you. Note that some styles only play the strings in the 'B' substyle (where the part marker is green). If you want strings all the way through, make your first bar 'green'. [You click on the bar number to cycle through blue, green, and no color.]

If that's not it, could you please be more specific with your question? Tell us what you are trying to do, and what the program did or did not do, so we can give you the answers you need.
BIAB 2018 Win Audiophile; [& 2018 Mac UltraPak]. Software: Mixcraft, Adobe Audition, Ozone, Encore; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7, 16 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20(2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & monitors.

#143584 - 12/27/11 01:22 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: How do I add strings to my jazz ballad? [Re: Matt Finley]
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
Hey Mitch, do you have the new Instant Orchestra? Does it handle volume via the mod wheel like the other Garritan products, where you have to set it each Play?
BIAB 2018 Win Audiophile; [& 2018 Mac UltraPak]. Software: Mixcraft, Adobe Audition, Ozone, Encore; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7, 16 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20(2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & monitors.

#143585 - 12/27/11 01:32 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: How do I add strings to my jazz ballad? [Re: Matt Finley]
MitchC Offline
Journeyman

All 3 of the Garritan products I have bought (IO the newest) act the same way. PG is sending modwheel info that resets it to zero at each play (I guess?). DRAG.

Since PG sells the Garritan products, one would think that they (PG) would be aware of this issue and either not offer them, fix it, or put a NOTE in the product description informing the buyer of this. Dontcha think ?

Edited by MitchC (12/27/11 01:34 PM)

#143586 - 12/27/11 01:51 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: How do I add strings to my jazz ballad? [Re: Matt Finley]
Fishb0bb Offline
Enthusiast

Ok i will be specific. Wow you guys responded quick thank you. Ok so im trying to get a Chris Botti sound.I have a transcription book of his with all the chords and solos and stuff. The goal is to create a backing track similar or as similar as i can get to this song. remember it doesnt have to be excact. here is the sound specifically that im going for. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edkIZLK2ri0 the strings start at about 45 seconds in to the song. I have band in the box 2010 but on thursday i will have 2012 with the everything pak because i already ordered it and it is on its way. how should i go about trying to get this type of sound? Im going to use band in a box to create everything and then i will play my trumpet over the music at the gig that im trying to get. I hope thats enough for you guys. Thank you!

#143587 - 12/27/11 02:10 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: How do I add strings to my jazz ballad? [Re: Fishb0bb]
MitchC Offline
Journeyman

Garritan Personal Orchestra would be great for this. Select the Section Strings, Violins 1 - lush. Would work perfectly for this IMHO. You would write the midi part and apply the Garritan plug-in to render the midi into lush strings.

http://www.pgmusic.com/garritanpersonalorchestra.win.htm

Edited by MitchC (12/27/11 02:11 PM)

#143588 - 12/27/11 02:17 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: How do I add strings to my jazz ballad? [Re: MitchC]
Fishb0bb Offline
Enthusiast

im new to this so i dont know what most of the things that you mentioned are. what is Garritan Personal Orchestra? what is IMHO? How do i write the MIDI part? and can you explain "Garritan plug-in to render the midi into lush strings." Thank you.

#143589 - 12/27/11 02:22 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: How do I add strings to my jazz ballad? [Re: MitchC]
Fishb0bb Offline
Enthusiast

ok i saw your link i get it now. so i would have to write out the string parts on Garritan Personal Orchestra and then transfer it over to BIAB correct?

#143590 - 12/27/11 02:27 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: How do I add strings to my jazz ballad? [Re: Fishb0bb]
MitchC Offline
Journeyman

No. You would write the midi part on a track in BIAB. Then apply Garritan as a fx to the BIAB track. After the midi part is written, it gets 'translated' into whatever Garritan patch you choose to apply.

To write the midi part you would do that in the editable Notation window, by clicking your mouse on the staff to place the notes / chord notes, you want played.

IMHO = In my humble opinion

Edited by MitchC (12/27/11 02:28 PM)

#143591 - 12/27/11 05:09 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: How do I add strings to my jazz ballad? [Re: MitchC]
Muzic Trax Offline
Veteran

Loc: California
There is a Cello Harmony setting that might work on the Biab String part. You would have to move the string part to the melody track and select the Cello Harmony.

Edit/Copy-Move should do the trick. Select Strings and set destination to Melody Track.

Might work?

Trax

#143592 - 12/27/11 09:43 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: How do I add strings to my jazz ballad? [Re: Muzic Trax]
Fishb0bb Offline
Enthusiast

thank you that helped me get it. now i just need to mess around with it untill i get what i want excactly. thank you thank you thank you

PG Music News
Video - Using MIDI SuperTracks in Band-in-a-Box® for Windows!

Learn how you can add MIDI SuperTracks to your Band-in-a-Box® song?

Using MIDI SuperTracks in Band-in-a-Box® for Windows!

Video - Using MIDI SuperTracks in Band-in-a-Box® for Mac!

Learn how you can add MIDI SuperTracks to your Band-in-a-Box® song?

Using MIDI SuperTracks in Band-in-a-Box® for Mac!

Musician Brent Mason in the Studio Recording RealTracks!

Before leaving Nashville, Tobin caught up with Brent Mason recording some future RealTracks in the studio.

We can't wait to hear them!

Video - Adding RealTracks to Your Band-in-a-Box® Song

There are 300 RealTracks Sets available (over 2,500 RealTracks!), and here at PG Music we have this to say about them: You'll want to use RealTracks in all of your projects... and you can!

But what if you're not sure how to add them to your Band-in-a-Box® song? We have a video for that! Click here to watch...

Save Notation Window as a Video with Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac

Did you know... Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac allows you to save the Notation Window as a video? What a great way to share your songs with users, and LEARN from the notation as you listen!

From the program manual:
[Save As] | Save as video
-In the Make Notation Video dialog, select a track at the upper left corner. (Note: The dialog title says “Make Chord Sheet Video” until you select a track.)
-You can also set the dimension (width/height) of the video and select the number of frames per second and a specific codec.
-Press the [OK - Render Video] button to start rendering the video. When the video has been created, press the [Show Video File] button.
-You can then double click on the file to watch the rendered video.

Note: A special use of this feature is to combine a Video RealTracks (new with version 2018) with the corresponding notation in a single video. This creates an educational video, which shows the actual performance with notation/tab, playing over your chord progression! To do this, right-click on the Master button or one of the track buttons at the top of the main screen and select Render Video(s) from the menu.

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac Resource - Individual New Features Videos

The release of Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac added 50+ new features and enhancements, Video RealTracks, 202 new RealTracks, and more!

Here is a summary of the videos created to highlight the new additions and features:
(click on the title to play the video)
-Everything you need to know in under 5 minutes!
-Complete New Features Video
-2018 Audio Chord Wizard
-Piano Roll Window
-Vocal Ooh & Aahs
-Audio Harmonies
-Video RealTracks
-202 NEW RealTracks
-40 Bonus RealTracks in the 2018 49-PAK

Summer NAMM 2018 Shout Out!

We were just down in Nashville for the 2018 Summer NAMM show. We were especially excited to attend this trade show as we've had a number or musicians record RealTracks for us in Nashville, and we hoped to meet them in person!

Click here to see everyone who stopped by!

From left to right:

RealTracks Producer Mike Harrison, PG Music's own Tobin Frank, and RealTracks Artist Wanda Vick
RealTracks Artist Eddy Dunlap & Tobin
Tobin with RealTracks Artist Brent Mason
RealTracks Artists Dave Cleveland and Darin Favorite with Mike and Tobin
Tobin with Brent Mason, Mike Harris, and Darin Favorite
Mike & RealTracks Artist Jelly Roll Johnson
Tobin & RealTracks Artist Jason Roller
Tobin with RealTracks Artist Tony King
Band-in-a-Box Endorser Bobby Cochran with Tobin & Mike

Special thanks to Mike and all the RealTracks Artists and PG Endorsers who stopped by. It was so great to meet everyone!!

Forum Stats
27715 Members
50 Forums
52590 Topics
435847 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
jigelaz, gerry logan, 89f9193d71, jack homburg, perljazz

27718 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Noel96 152
David Snyder 148