#146289 01/11/12 05:42 AM
Off-Topic
C
Cerio Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
C
It's the first time something like that happens to me. My wife left the equipment inside the car, but some rat got inside the private parking at late night, opened the car (destroying not only the door, but nearly everything inside the car) and took not only the P.A. system, but the mixer, the microphone, some percussion instruments, cables, etc...

I've work hard for earning the money I've loosed. I'm very, very angry, and frustrated, there seems to be not much I can do. Any idea REALLY appreciated.

BIAB 2024, latest build.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Sorry to hear this.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Sorry to hear that. Robberies cause more victim pain than the law allows punishment for. I hope you get lucky and find the equipment. If you have the serial numbers, send them the the police and then start scouting out the local pawn shops. You will probably have to pay the amount the pawn shop paid for the items, but it will be 10-20% of the value (thread here)

Now at bandcamp: Crows Say Vee-Eh @ bandcamp or soundcloud: Kevin @ soundcloud
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I am also sorry to hear this. I hope you had everything insured.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Oh no..ths is terrible. Happened to me once, I've never forgot it, made me paranoid...now I'm a compulsive locker, park under lights and park away from other cars so my car is not so hidden and hide allow valuables so they cannot be seen. Maybe its time to look into an after market alarm system if you are going to keep valuables in your car....Viper makes some good ones.

Win11, Intel i7 7700K 4.2Ghz, 32Gb RAM, 2x1Tb HD, 500Gb NVMe, BIAB/RB 2024, MOTU 828MK3 audio, MOTU Midi Express, Yamaha Montage 7, DX7II, TX802, Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR Rack, Oberheim Matrix 1000, VoiceLive3 Extreme, Kontakt 6, SampleTank 4.3
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
You may find that at least some of your loss is covered by your auto insurance and/or your home coverage. I've always taken out a rider on my homeowner's insurance to cover my instruments since my insurance company's cap on coverage for them is about $2,000 and I have single instruments that exceed that in value.

I also make a point of never leaving my equipment in the van over night. No matter how tired I am, or how late it is, the van gets unloaded and equipment put up. That isn't just to avoid theft. Cold and hot weather are hard on musical instruments and equipment.

Keith
2024 Audiophile Windows 11 AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 3960X 4.5GHZ 128 GB RAM 2 Nvidia RTX 3090s, Vegas,Acid,SoundForge,Izotope Production,Melodyne Studio,Cakewalk,Raven Mti
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
That totally sucks.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Sorry to hear this terrible news, good advice above especially re: the pawn shops.

Best of Luck to you,

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Locally many musicians have registered with suppliers and after a theft of someone's gear they send out an email. It's surprising how many stories I hear of where they guy found his gear for sale on some board or another and recently a guy got back his guitar and the guy who had it met the cop parked across the street. Of course they guy 'found' it in a dumpster, ya right.

Where do you live?

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
One guy here, several years ago, had 2 basses stolen from his car. He made the rounds of the local pawn shops. He was in the one near my house that I check out every week to leave the serial numbers with the owner of the shop. 2 guys came in trying to pawn his basses WHILE HE WAS IN THE STORE!!!! He gestured with his eyes, pointed discreetly to the papers he had given the guy. The shop owner was savvy enough to stall while the victim "said goodbye". He then went outside, called the police and they came to the store and arrested the thieves.

This a tale fo great restraint. The guy in question stands 6'5" and is a 3rd degree black belt who teaches matrial arts classes and has placed in the top 4 in national tournaments. I wonder if I would have had that kind of poise....

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Sorry to hear about this.

In the US, it is a good idea to engrave your drivers license number somewhere discretely on all of your gear. This can often lead to recovery of stolen items.

There are some steps that you can take, however.

Print out a list of the stolen gear, make copies and take them around to the local pawn shops, used instrument stores, etc. and drop them off with the proprietors. Reputable proprietors will be glad to get the information. If you do not have your driver's license number engraved on your gear, sometimes you can still recover by showing the sales receipt, sometimes they might even just take your word for it.

--Mac

Mac #146300 01/11/12 05:27 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
All good stuff, Mac. I have everything in a spreadsheet with new value, replacement value, serial number, photo and the location of a unique identifying mark, a different type of mark on each instrument and in a different location. That spreadsheet is stored online, on a thumbdrive that is always with me, on a CD, and each computer, and a copy of the disc is in a bank safe deposit box as well as one in my fireproof safe with my will, etc....

Of course if they take the stuff an head for Guatemala....

But I have taken every precaution I can think of.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
And don't forget to check Craigslist. They've actually caught a couple of thieves here trying to sell their goods. Of course, it was very difficult to prove that the sellers were the actual thieves, but a couple of musicians got their instrumenbts back, at least.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
You are somewhat lucky it wasn't from your house. I'm not in the area of the city where this happens, but in some areas they break into the house, take the stuff, and come back in 6 weeks and take the new stuff.

Insurance. They are in the business of keeping your money. I have, as suggested, used an etching vibrator pen to mark my stuff. My Social Insurance # is on it, 9 digits.

And the list, filed with my insurance company. They love to tell you a rider was required. I just say here:
Photo gear: x y Z etc.
Music Gear: l m n o etc...
Tools : a b c d...

with serial #'s, my marks, and digital photos, along with bills etc.

And I always pay with visa, I have extra insurance there.

It does help to have spent many years working with Insurance Adjusters. They have some odd quirks. A mis-step causes HUGE delays, and your file gets kicked around.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Of course if they take the stuff and head for Guatemala....

if they take the stuff and head for guatamala, I hope the same people who are giving the Gibson company grief will nail them for taking exotic wood out of the country.

on a personal note to Cerio: very few things in this life make a person feel as defiled as being ripped off... especially when the thief steals things that are important to you. I sincerely wish there was something I could do to help you get your stuff back.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
With regards to etching you drivers licence/Social Security numbers onto you possessions, doesn't this cause a problem if you decide to sell something legitimately?

Sorry to hear your bad news, Cerio.

Cheers,
Keith
Off-Topic
C
Cerio Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
C
Thank you very much everyone for your kind words, it helps a lot.

Unfortunately nothing was covered by any insurance; in fact, it's not easy here in Spain to get this kind of material insured, for some reason no company want to work wit musical instruments. The car's insurance didn't cover robbery either, I'm just a poor musician and I just got the cheapest one

And thank you Mac, Eddie and others for your clever ideas, it will help in the future. In addition of that, I'm going to send a mail to all my fellow musicians with a list of the stolen equipment; if they resend this message to all their friend there will be a lot of people aware of this, and maybe I'll receive a telephone call in the future...

At least, I hope this thread to be useful for those of you who potentially would leave your equipment in the van thinking that nothing is going to happen; please, don't be as silly as I was and never, NEVER DO THAT.

PS: Unfortunately this doesn't seem to be my year; I've just loosed a hard disk with a lot of personal information, work, songs, music, etc...I'm going to work in a cruise ship along the North Sea in a couple of months, I hope it won't sink

Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Cerio,

Sorry to hear about that. I hope that the instruments turn up somewhere.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

With regards to etching you drivers licence/Social Security numbers onto you possessions, doesn't this cause a problem if you decide to sell something legitimately?

Sorry to hear your bad news, Cerio.

That is what the little diamond-tipped GRINDER bit is for.

Grind it off when transferring legitimately.

Collectibles, like good old guitars, I have to find all sorts of tricks so as not to take the risk of destroying future value. For example, with electric guitars, I often engrave my state and DL number on the back of Volume and Tone pots, stuff like that, rather than into the wood of the cherished instrument. That also effectively hides it from where the average thief might find it.

But that is not the only step taken. Keeping good photo records of your equipments, keeping all receipts, all these things can work together towards recovery in the event that the worst case scenario happens.

Car alarms -- good ones -- plus never just leaving stuff such that it can be seen through windows of the car, are in order as well. And a good dog is always a plus. And, well, reputation. That last one can go a long way towards not having to deal with any of it in the first place, but establishing the rep of being somebody not to mess with can be tricky.

Ya gotta be creative...

--Mac

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
My Strat was stolen and it has my name carved in it top and back . The pawn shop bought it anyway from the crook that stole it. My wife called every pawn shop around until she found it ,she told them all she was with the Sheriff's Dept. When she found it she said she will send the owner down to pick it up . I had to pay $100 to get it back but was worth it . Hope you have some luck getting your stuff back.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,399
Posts732,551
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199