Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Post your own Tips and Tricks here
pwarren Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
I thought it would never be possible to make a midi guitar track that sounded like Jimi did. However, it turns out to be fairly easy. Here's how.

Step 1. Loosen up the midi notes using melody|edit melody track|utilities|loosen up notes. Settings between -10 and 10 seem to work well. Humanize the line if it's too stiff. Extend the duration of notes to close gaps where appropriate; that is extend the sustain where Jimi would have let his guitar screech between licks.

Step 2. Load a clean guitar sound font using a sf player of your choice (sfz works well here) in slot 1. Although it's nowhere near as good, the mid-tone guitar in the VSC DXi will work in a pinch.

Step 3. Load the free Camel Crusher distortion VST in slot 2. Set to Tube Warmth as a starting preset. Play with it later as needed.

Step 4. Load the free phasa VST from killapluggies in slot 3. Set the rate just under half way and the freq to half. Play with it later to taste.

Step 5. Load the free juicy77 amp VST in slot 4. Make sure the 'Lead' switch is on. Reduce the output so as not to blow your speakers. Now play the song file. Adjust the gain, tone and output on the juicy amp to taste.

You can now pick your jaw off the floor as I had to. This combination of FX makes the guitar sound so close to Hendrix it is mind blowing. It even seems to replicate the feedback Jimi was so well known for. The phaser seems to replicate the fret and string noise by swirling the distortion around.

I've used this on two covers so far. Purple Haze and Little Wing. Both sound so good I can't believe it's midi. Wow. Have Fun.

Last edited by pwarren; 01/25/12 11:04 AM.

BiaB 2013 b366, RB 2013 b4, WinXP Pro SP3, Toshiba M70, 1.8GHz 2GB RAM 100GB HD. Focusrite Saffire 6 USB, Ketron SD2.BiaB Wiki
pwarren Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
The plugins can be found with a google search or direct from this page.

BiaB 2013 b366, RB 2013 b4, WinXP Pro SP3, Toshiba M70, 1.8GHz 2GB RAM 100GB HD. Focusrite Saffire 6 USB, Ketron SD2.BiaB Wiki
Journeyman
Journeyman
Can you possibly post a sound file somewhere we can hear this ?

pwarren Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Quote:

Can you possibly post a sound file somewhere we can hear this ?

Sure. I'm linking a small section since it's a cover. I don't want to violate any rules so I hope this is Ok.

Hendrix midi guitar demo

Journeyman
Journeyman
Wow..very impressive ! Can you do midi note pitch bends I wonder. Really just getting familiar with midi and not sure what all can be done to notes. Thanks for posting this info !

pwarren Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Quote:

Wow..very impressive ! Can you do midi note pitch bends I wonder. Really just getting familiar with midi and not sure what all can be done to notes. Thanks for posting this info !

For this demo I added a couple of guitar bends to some held notes between licks. I did that through the notation editor|edit note command. There's a guitar bend radio button in that dialog. The effect is subtle but there.

However, for this song demo all I did midi-wise was extend the duration of a couple of notes for increased sustain. The plugins do the rest; the overdrive amp, swirling distortion and feedback.

As to other midi tracks you would have to decide yourself what it needed in terms of tweaking. I'd always suggest starting with the loosen note start times menu command as this makes the track seem a lot more human. Then, if it needed more I go to the humanize functions and finally tweaking individual notes.

Hope this helps.

Veteran
Veteran
This is a very good emulation and it is one of the BEST I’ve heard however it will not fool a guitarist.

If I could make a suggestion it would be to add some pitch bends and vibrato using pitch bends. That would help with the illusion. Those longer notes without vibrato is a dead give away that it is midi being played by someone who is not a guitarist. Do not use tremolo to emulate vibrato. Tremolo is an oscillation of gain (volume) while vibrato is an oscillation of pitch.

I hope this helps.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
pwarren Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Quote:

This is a very good emulation and it is one of the BEST I’ve heard however it will not fool a guitarist.

I never expected it would. It does, however, fool non-musicians as I've been asked who's playing the guitar.

Quote:

If I could make a suggestion it would be to add some pitch bends and vibrato using pitch bends.

I've tried in RB with a controller but since I don't have a clue where a guitarist would add bends and vibrato it sounded worse. That's why I added the phaser. It gives an illusion of 'motion'.

Quote:

I hope this helps.

It does, thanks. When I play my bass to that cover it makes the guitar sound even better. My crappy playing distracts everyone from the fact the guitar isn't real. lol

Last edited by pwarren; 01/25/12 12:46 PM.

pwarren Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Quote:

Do not use tremolo to emulate vibrato. Tremolo is an oscillation of gain (volume) while vibrato is an oscillation of pitch.

BTW, do you know if BiaB can add tremelo or vibrato to held notes? Do you insert a midi command in the midi editor or can it be done on the piano roll?

Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Quote:

Do not use tremolo to emulate vibrato. Tremolo is an oscillation of gain (volume) while vibrato is an oscillation of pitch.

BTW, do you know if BiaB can add tremelo or vibrato to held notes? Do you insert a midi command in the midi editor or can it be done on the piano roll?

Sorry I do not use BiaB for my entire project, just as a starting place. All of my editing is done in Sonar but I would think the process would be very similar in BiaB.

For tremolo use a VST effect. There are a lot of them for tremolo and some are free, as is the one in Amplitude.

Vibrato can be done with a pitch wheel. Think of vibrato as a sine wave with the higher the peaks the higher or lower the pitch. Also think of the distance between the waves. The closer the distance the faster the vibrato and the farther the distance the slower the vibrato. This can be done two ways. One, as mentioned, with a pitch wheel. The other you can draw it using the pitch bend in the piano roll. I just checked this out before writing this but I have no experience editing midi in BiaB. It sounds like you can midi edit in BiaB so have fun.

Listen very carefully to your favorite guitarist and you will soon learn how far to pitch bend and where to use it. Pitch bend can add a lot of life to a midi file and is especially important for either midi guitar or sax leads.

I hope this helps.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
Veteran
I wish you would post this, or at least a reference to it, in the Off Topic forum, maybe in one of those discussions about how MIDI is dead and never was much use anyway. Far more is possible with MIDI than almost anyone gives it credit for.

Buried somewhere on some old hard drives (think sub-100 Mb size) I have some eye-opening MIDI tracks. One that stands out is a Beatles tune using 70% MIDI Upright Bass and 30% Acoustic Guitar to emulate Paul's Hofner violin bass. The likeness is stunning.

By the way, I AM a guitarist, and I might not have picked out your track as MIDI if you hadn't told me. It's the best emulation of an electric guitar I've ever heard. Way good, pal.

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."
pwarren Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Quote:

I wish you would post this, or at least a reference to it, in the Off Topic forum, maybe in one of those discussions about how MIDI is dead and never was much use anyway. Far more is possible with MIDI than almost anyone gives it credit for.

I'd be happy to start an off topic discussion. I'd really like to hear what others are doing with midi. Especially now that we have VSTs foreach track.

Quote:

By the way, I AM a guitarist, and I might not have picked out your track as MIDI if you hadn't told me. It's the best emulation of an electric guitar I've ever heard. Way good, pal.

Thanks. I was literally stunned when I started playing that track in BiaB. I never would have believed midi guitars could sound that good. Imagine what a real midi guru could do with a controller and VSTs. I suspect you could get midi guitars that would be undetectable mixed with RTs.

Veteran
Veteran
Excellent. Now, we've gotta find a way to do this with the basic tools in Amplitube (rather than buying the Hendrix expansion, that is)....

Best,
Tom Smith
Win10/64 • i7-8700K • 24 GB RAM
BIAB 2024 • Reaper 7 • Izotope MPS
AKG C1000S • IK iRig I/O Pro
pwarren Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Quote:

Excellent. Now, we've gotta find a way to do this with the basic tools in Amplitube (rather than buying the Hendrix expansion, that is)....

Download the free Juicy77 amp and Camel Crusher distortion plugins. Amplitube is nice but I can't get it to rival Juicy77 and CamelCrusher for overdriven leads. Link is provided in my second post above.

R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Here is a midi guitar track i did a few years back i thought it came out pretty good. I used a free midi file, worked with the midi notes a bit, and added free plugins for the distortion http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?PID=468247&t=4329

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
pwarren Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Quote:

Here is a midi guitar track i did a few years back i thought it came out pretty good. I used a free midi file, worked with the midi notes a bit, and added free plugins for the distortion http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?PID=468247&t=4329

It's a shame I can't listen without registering. I would have liked to hear it.

Veteran
Veteran
It's worth mentioning that just about ANY MIDI guitar part can be improved dramatically by applying Amplitube to it. It doesn't have to be distorted Hendrix-type stuff... with the right effects midi strumming, fingerpicking or jazz can all sound more like a real guitar

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,469
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi, mmpartee
38,439 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195