Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
T
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
T
Is there an equivalent way to share and discuss cover songs with BIAB accompaniment, like the User Showcase. I know there are sites where you can download BIAB songs but I haven't seen anything designed to share techniques and ideas about the BIAB content. I don't compose my own songs but would really like to see how other users have used BIAB styles with cover songs. I suspect there are more users like me than those who compose but perhaps the copyright issues are too much?

Tony

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
You can fix the song up, get your tracks all rolled up, and then post the thing without a melody. In most cases for the 'songbook', I can tell what song it is by about 3 bars in. Unless there are no chord changes!!

There's no problem with that, I'd stick it in the user showcase and call it my tune, we'll guess it and then we can talk, or say what we'd do to it, in our not so freaking humble opinion.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
T
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
T
Quote:

You can fix the song up, get your tracks all rolled up, and then post the thing without a melody. In most cases for the 'songbook', I can tell what song it is by about 3 bars in. Unless there are no chord changes!!

Thanks John, that may be a way to showcase your vast experience but for us lesser mortals we would need to hear the melody with the accompaniment to appreciate how the cover has been created. BIAB sells itself mainly as an accompaniment program and I am sure most buyers stay with cover songs however I haven't found any exchange of examples on how to work creatively with covers. Is there any way to do this on a website not connected with PG music or does copyright kill the idea?

Tony

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Thanks John, that may be a way to showcase your vast experience but for us lesser mortals we would need to hear the melody with the accompaniment to appreciate how the cover has been created. BIAB sells itself mainly as an accompaniment program and I am sure most buyers stay with cover songs however I haven't found any exchange of examples on how to work creatively with covers. Is there any way to do this on a website not connected with PG music or does copyright kill the idea?

Tony

actually, Tony, there has been quite a bit of forum discussion about how to achieve signature licks and generally how to use this software to make killer sounding covers. Search the forum for phrases like "signature lick" and you'll probably find more than one good discussion.

There may be laws against posting other peoples' songs, but so far there's no law against talking about how to use software to duplicate copyrighted material

Check the TIPS AND TRICKS forum for starters

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

...but so far there's no law against talking about how to use software to duplicate copyrighted material

I highly suspect there is a term for discussion of illegal activities and it is illegal. There is actually a fine line between discussion and execution in the eyes of the court. We just sent our prior Governor of the State to jail for 14 years for "talking about" an illegal activity regardng selling of the senate seat.

Perhaps a disclaimer bar for the forum:
The disclaimer would state that - the information on the site is all hypothetical and can not be used in a court of law. It would also state that the site does not condone use of software for copywrite infringement and that you are not a employee of the government nor are you working with a government employee at all .

or,

Illegal/Dangerous Activities:
"Explicit "how to" discussions of illegal and/or dangerous activities, or posts advocating such activities, are prohibited; such as: how to make explosives, manufacture crack, steal software, hack into the CIA, use software to infringe on copywritted material ... "

But that kind of content just draws the attention and notice of Government bots which search the web for illegal activities.

Remember the first rule of fight club? "..you don't talk about fight club" - Brad Pitt

But then Perhaps I need my own Disclaimer:
"I am not an attorney and any advice is not to be construed as legal advice. You might even want to ignore my advice. Actually, there are plenty of real attorneys that you might want to ignore as well."

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Dan,

The difference is that the things you describe really are illegal. But It's not against the law to create cover tunes. Every band does it. Its against the law to DISTRIBUTE them, and when you post them to a public site, you are in effect distributing them. That's why we don't post covers here.

Off-Topic
K
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
K
Sigh. I doubt that laws against distribution were meant to facilitate the destruction of healthy amateurism in the social media age. As usual, the world moves must too fast for the music industry to process and it will pay the penalty of unintended consequences in the end.

Stopping well-intentioned people from singing songs around the new virtual campfire will get them precisely nowhere.

We've got to protect our friends at PGMUSIC from any legal danger, though. So any solution has got to have no connection here I would think.

Ken

Learning To Play Jazz Piano After Age 50+
http://kenblog05.blogspot.com
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
You know this has the makings of a really good business model for a web site imo. It's a want and I would suspect not just for BIAB folks but probably many other musicians.

I think it must be possible to do because there are thriving karaoke sites. And what is karaoke after all - singing to premade covers. The popular K sites charge a fee and I'm assuming some of this fee covers licensing of the cover tunes used there. In the scenario we're talking about here - the covers would be played and/or sung so the karaoke tracks wouldn't be necessary. So the fee would cover licensing.

This should be relatively easy to set up if someone had the start up money and was willing to take the risk. JMHO.

If that kind of site existed would you be willing to pay to be a member to post your covers?

Josie

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

If that kind of site existed would you be willing to pay to be a member to post your covers?

then we would have come full circle, starting with getting paid a lot to play, then getting paid less, then playing for free at open mics, and finally paying for the opportunity to play.

Given the progression, I'd say you are exactly right, there's an untapped niche, and where there's a niche, there's money to be made by somebody. But Probably not the musicians.

There are already music festivals where the groups pay to play "for the exposure"
so the precedent has been set. It will work.

CLOUD-O-METER
DARK_\___SUNNY

Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
I don't even know what is meant by the term "Cover Song". would somebody take the time to explain this to me....Thanks Hank ( and I've been involved with music for a long time).

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
From Wiki:

Quote:

In popular music, a cover version or cover song, or simply cover, is a new performance or recording of a contemporary or previously recorded, commercially released song or popular song. It can sometimes have a pejorative meaning implying that the original recording should be regarded as the definitive or "authentic" version, and all others merely lesser competitors, alternatives or tributes (no matter how popular).

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

I don't even know what is meant by the term "Cover Song".

When you play anything that somebody else wrote and recorded, that is playing a cover song.

I am following this thread with great interest. While there are FORUM rules here about posting non original music (the forum IS indeed for original work made with BIAB/RB) but now we are into defining "distribution". My take on people swapping cover songs that they have recreated in their own image with BIAB/RB is NOT what the term "distribution" means in this context unless there is a monetary exchange. I consider it nothing more than an electronic "jam night" where people are sharing ideas.

Good points being made here from both sides of the discussion.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Copyright is the "right to copy" -- it has nothing to do with money. Freely distributing cover songs is a copyright violation.

Now at bandcamp: Crows Say Vee-Eh @ bandcamp or soundcloud: Kevin @ soundcloud
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Eddie,
Quote:

My take on people swapping cover songs that they have recreated in their own image with BIAB/RB is NOT what the term "distribution" means in this context unless there is a monetary exchange. I consider it nothing more than an electronic "jam night" where people are sharing ideas.

Creating an arrangement of a song and forwarding to other people is, as I understand it, infringing the part of the copyright act relating to the right to reproduce works. No money needs to change hands to fall foul of this section of the act.

Here's a link to a document at Tunecore.

http://www.tunecore.com/guides/sixrights

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
The ticket would be a closely guarded password protected web site where they could be stored, and shared with members only, that are approved for admission. This would be the only real way.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
in the peer to peer prosecution cases, it didn't matter whether the people made money. They got fined anyway. The offense was distributing property owned by somebody else.

Also, the forum rules prohibit posting any song to which you don't hold ALL the rights. Even if you completely change it from a 60s pop song to a Jazz or bluegrass style, if it retains enough of the original song to be recognizeable, you're still playing off the goodwill attached to somebody else's work. Otherwise, why would you want to record your version of a cover?

When somebody licenses somebody else's song, they almost always redo the song in their own image... and they pay for the right to do it. Usurping that right as though we are entitled to it is shaky ground. Although it would probably go unnoticed, I'd hate to put PGMusic in a compromising situation.

Again, this is just my opinion. I'm no lawyer. But when in doubt, I tend to err on the side that I've never seen associated with a lawsuit.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Here's where this gets fun, Pat.

Eddie calls Pat and says "Hey I have a gig in 3 weeks and need a guitar player. I am going to send you a CD of the stuff we will need to learn. Nothing major. It's a themed "British Invasion" party we will be playing. Some Beatles, some Stones, some Herman's Hermits, some Freddy and the Dreamers, a couple by the Moody Blues, Peter and Gordon..."

By the letter of the law as you described it, I would be breaking the law by sending you a CD with the 40 songs we need to learn for the gig.

Now that brings up the question... HOW do I get the music to you? By the letter of the law, am I required to go out and buy you a copy of Meet The Beatles, Help, Rubber Soul, Sgt Pepper..... and then Sticky Fingers, Get Your Ya Ya's Out.... buy a copy of every CD from which songs are plucked?

If that is the case, every cover band in the USA is guilty because songs get passed around for learning purposes many times every day.

Now, let's go one further because I like to get ridiculous and look at every possible scenario.

What if the show is all MY music? Would the players I recruit have to buy my CD to learn it and play it?

I always used the analogy of books in a library. Once I read The Stand, I gave it to someone else to read. A second person got to enjoy the book and Stephen King didn't get another penny from it. The library gives books and music away for use every day. Patrons get to enjoy the art, and then return it when they are done, possibly having copied the CD while they had it.

DMCA is a wide broom.... and now SOPA wants to do things like charge a fee if you have a sound byte on your WEB PAGE???

Great topic full of gray areas. This is now outside the scope of what PG policy is in the forum. We all understand that they want only original music here. This has now moved to "what if"....

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Eddie,

they are really no gray areas in the situations you describe.

Yes, it against copyright laws to make a "This is what I want you all to learn" CD. However, everyone does it and no one will ever get in trouble over it -- but that doesn't mean it isn't against the copyright laws.

Libraries purchase books and only can only be checked out by one user at a time (even the electronic books have this restriction).

Your music -- ha, ha -- if someone else publishes it then you can't make multiple copies and give that out (I am not too sure about this one).

Kevin

Now at bandcamp: Crows Say Vee-Eh @ bandcamp or soundcloud: Kevin @ soundcloud
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Try this guys. Go to this link and register, and then go to lounge, and song file and see what you get. http://z8.invisionfree.com/GAPers/

This is an old forum we built a long time ago in acid planet, and i have used for since with a lot of the cakewalk crowd. membership only and not on the beaten path. I then open a fileden account and linked a old country tune from RB.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Copyright is the "right to copy" -- it has nothing to do with money. Freely distributing cover songs is a copyright violation.

As far as music goes it's a shame that this system ever was chosen as the medium for writers to get paid.It just keeps Lawyers employed. What is so wrong about me posting my version of a cover song to this Forum for criticism so that when I go to a club, that pays royalties sort of, and play it, it sounds good.Oh that's right. My ability to do covers with BIAB may bring in extra revenue for PG.So what!.It's my ability & PG's program not any one particular song.
BTW no I will not pay to post.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,389
Posts732,447
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195