Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Off-Topic
pwarren Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
I recently made a post on how to emulate the Jimi Hendrix sound for midi based guitars. I was asked to provide a link to a sound sample which I'll relink here . Please feel free to check it out. It's only a short sample so as not to infringe any copyright (fair use).

Ryzard commented that the sound sample showed midi is anything but dead or irrelevant even with the advent of RTs. I hearily agree. The ability to apply VST and DXi plugins to each track in BiaB has revolutionized midi and it's use in originals and even more so in covers.

What do you guys and gals think? If you thought midi was of no use would this change your minds?

BiaB 2013 b366, RB 2013 b4, WinXP Pro SP3, Toshiba M70, 1.8GHz 2GB RAM 100GB HD. Focusrite Saffire 6 USB, Ketron SD2.BiaB Wiki
Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
never thought MIDI was of no use. It's great for lighting and triggering pyrotechnics. Many act use synth access axes in the studio and it is used on virtually all boards for live sound too.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
If a midi patch sounded as good as a Real Track, there wouldn't be a need for RT's, IMO. My old Tyros keyboard used patches called "Mega Voices," which had to convert regular patches to them. They were the Cat's Meow and sounded as good as a RT. You couldn't record with them though, they worked after conversion.

The Biab Midi Styles are fantastic. If you have a hardware synth to use with them, Biab sounds like a whole different program compared to the standard Forte/VSC. I actually prefer the Biab Midi Styles over the RT ones, but since I don't have my Tyros anymore, I prefer the RT's now because of the sound.

There is a night and day difference when using a synth that sounds and emulates a real instrument, compared to the standard GM palette. Plus, midi data allows much more control when creating a song with a Biab Style.

Trax

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

never thought MIDI was of no use. It's great for lighting and triggering pyrotechnics. Many act use synth access axes in the studio and it is used on virtually all boards for live sound too.

Of course, we meant musically useful, but I had forgotten about other applications. I think another language/protocol has been developed for lighting though due to the occasional latency with MIDI and the need for ultrafast response from lasers and multiple other high-speed lighting instruments.

Note that, even though Synth Access instruments are labeled as MIDI, they aren't, repeat are not. They may indirectly produce MIDI output through a converter such as the new Roland VG-99, but all that is generated from the pickup is trigger, pitch, and dynamics--no MIDI data whatsoever. I bought my VG-88 thinking that I had pitch-to-MIDI capability, but the MIDI ports on the unit are for control only.

I've been out of live sound for so long I have never used MIDI there. Do you mean for control of effects or other automation? Please say more.

Signed,

Interested

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I do not know why people think MIDI is of no use. It's different. MIDI instruments often do not have the articulation that "real" instruments have, but I use both all the time, and often combine MIDI and RT both generated by the same song in BIAB. MIDI can be used to control other instruments, and it's of course possible to completely change the tone of a piece instantly merely by changing the patch.

Re: your sample -- sounds good 'n' Hendrixy to me. I'll go back and look at your original post.

Best,
Tom Smith
Win10/64 • i7-8700K • 24 GB RAM
BIAB 2024 • Reaper 7 • Izotope MPS
AKG C1000S • IK iRig I/O Pro
Off-Topic
T
Journeyman
Journeyman
T
Back in the late 90's I was using a JV80 as my main external sound module.
Back then I really never thought that the pros were using midi in their completed productions till I started hearing the JV-80 being used in quite a few TV commercials and a soap my wife and I were watching.
That gave me a new respect for midi and how it could be used for other then just a hobby.
Even some 12 years back the sound quality of the higher end external midi equipment was amazing.
I use a Tyros 1 these days, but still have the JV-80 that I use for certain sounds.
Realtracks are great, but just don't have the versatility of midi yet.
Like others on here I use both midi and realtracks in my songs.

Tim

\

Off-Topic
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
Sometimes when you're writing sound to picture, you can be working on a midi keyboard and composing without reference to either time signature or key signature and without being sure what the final sound is going to be. Having midi data to play around with in this situation is great and I can't think of another way it could be done which would be anywhere near as good. Long live midi!

ROG.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
PWarren - I enjoyed the clip. Definitely Hendrix-ish.

As many people here know, I'm a big MIDI fan.

MIDI only sounds as good as
  • The MIDI sound module and/or particular voice you are using (as we all know, MIDI has no sound, but synthesizers do)
  • The skill of the player or programmer who creates the MIDI file (or style)

Chart topping CD's and entire motion picture soundtracks have been produced with MIDI synthesizers. Virtually every modern synth has MIDI as it's core. I've even seen MIDI based synthesizers in international touring symphony orchestras.

MIDI is far from dead. It is alive in virtually every professional recording studio in the country. It is in movies, on stages, and in small lounges everywhere.

At this moment in the evolution of music, MIDI still offers thousands of times more editing power than pre-recorded loops do. Listen to This Clip or This One keeping in mind (1) they were recorded in a live gig using an old Archos Juke Box through its internal microphone and (2) ripped at 56k so the sound quality isn't nearly as good as it is live. But even with the lowered sonic quality, they still sound like sax and guitar solos. Other than the bit of vocals, they are 100% MIDI, and the solos are 100% my notes, not someone else's.

I posted the guitar solo on a Guitar Player's forum as an example of my playing. I got dozens of comments on how well I played guitar, one even told me it was "Jeff Beck-ish" (to me the ultimate compliment). After a few pages of 100% positive comments, I confessed I was really playing wind synthesizer. Pages of comments followed telling me how real it sounded, and only one person said in retrospect there was something about the vibrato that sounded a little funny to him. It doesn't get any more real than that!

The lead instruments (synth sax/synth guitar) are my improvisations playing a wind MIDI controller through a Yamaha VL70m MIDI tone module and over the chord progressions to copyrighted songs. The backgrounds are edited BiaB MIDI files (the sax clip uses a PG style the guitar clip uses one of mine). Since you cannot copyright a chord progression, and since the improvised melody is my own creation, I am not violating anybody else's copyrights. If there is a small fragment of the original song as the lead-in or exit of the solo, it is short enough to be considered OK under the fair use laws.

These solos would have been impossible using loops.

MIDI isn't dead, in fact, it hasn't even reached its full potential yet.

When I want to listen to someone else's music, I put a CD in the player. When I want to play music I prefer to play my own notes, not someone else's. For that I use my MIDI synths/controllers/tools, sax, guitar, and/or flute.

Insights and incites by Notes

Last edited by Notes Norton; 02/02/12 07:35 AM.

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I am so tired of the issue. I use midi. I have some Norton stuff. But the posting just to justify the clip slinging of a few weeks ago, and to drag up the free advertising ad(vertising) nausum, is getting to me.

I think himself has been too generous. It's his sandbox. The constant questioning and re-hasing of this tired horse is starting to smell.

All this has just been said. I feel like I'm in kindergarten.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
pwarren Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Quote:

I don't think anyone ever said midi was of no use, even in the numerous discussions of midi vs RTs. The main comments have been that midi sounds too artificial compared to RTs. Others have responded to that by insisting midi blended with RTs sounds good. There were even a number of comparisons posted by Peter Gannon in one thread to which there were comments both pro and con.

The point I'm trying to make is that with soundfonts and VST FX, not to mention various editing techniques, you can get a midi track to sound good enough that many, maybe most, people wouldn't realize they were listening to midi especially when mixed with RDs and RTs.

Your point about other uses for midi is a good one that I hadn't considered. That alone would seem to make midi a continued necessity.

BiaB 2013 b366, RB 2013 b4, WinXP Pro SP3, Toshiba M70, 1.8GHz 2GB RAM 100GB HD. Focusrite Saffire 6 USB, Ketron SD2.BiaB Wiki
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

There, there, John. It's nap time. Right after cookies and warm milk.

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."
Off-Topic
pwarren Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Quote:

If a midi patch sounded as good as a Real Track, there wouldn't be a need for RT's, IMO.

'As good as' is very subjective. I only claim midi can be made to sound quite realistic and, when combined with RDs and RTs, can be good enough for covers. And that's something I didn't find possible with BiaB before the 2012 version.

Quote:

The Biab Midi Styles are fantastic. If you have a hardware synth to use with them, Biab sounds like a whole different program compared to the standard Forte/VSC. I actually prefer the Biab Midi Styles over the RT ones, but since I don't have my Tyros anymore, I prefer the RT's now because of the sound.

There is a night and day difference when using a synth that sounds and emulates a real instrument, compared to the standard GM palette. Plus, midi data allows much more control when creating a song with a Biab Style.

Trax

I basically agree with all this. You need to use the appropriate synth and patch or soundfont for the job. Some work better than others for a particular job.

For guitars in particular I was never able to get a convincing result before using soundfonts combined with plugin FX. Now I can create what I consider really good covers of songs that used to be impossible.

Off-Topic
pwarren Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Quote:

I do not know why people think MIDI is of no use.

I certainly don't think so either. However, I was never able to get a convincing guitar sound from midi in the past. Even with the Ketron, guitars always sounded like a weak facsimile of the real thing. This no matter what controllers had been used. Now I find you can have midi guitars that rival the RTs if they are used appropriately.

Quote:

...MIDI instruments often do not have the articulation that "real" instruments have...

I agree, and that continues even with the ability to use soundfonts and plugin FX. But I think we are much closer than before. I respectfully submit that if a good guitarist played a midi guitar with all the controller events for bends and expression and that midi was then treated as I did in the clip you would be able to fool most people. And to me that is a new pinnacle in midi based music.

Quote:

Re: your sample -- sounds good 'n' Hendrixy to me. I'll go back and look at your original post.

While I didn't emphasise it in the original post one point I was trying to pass on is how good the Camel Crusher distortion and Juicy77 amp were. I like amplitube and have been able to get some good sounds with it, especially 'clean' guitars. But the Juicy77 amp blows Amplitube out of the water for overdriven lead.

Off-Topic
pwarren Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Quote:

Back in the late 90's I was using a JV80 as my main external sound module.
Back then I really never thought that the pros were using midi in their completed productions till I started hearing the JV-80 being used in quite a few TV commercials and a soap my wife and I were watching.
That gave me a new respect for midi and how it could be used for other then just a hobby.
Even some 12 years back the sound quality of the higher end external midi equipment was amazing.
I use a Tyros 1 these days, but still have the JV-80 that I use for certain sounds.
Realtracks are great, but just don't have the versatility of midi yet.
Like others on here I use both midi and realtracks in my songs.

Tim

\

I think the majority of posters agree with you. I certainly do. The few who don't are entitled to their opinions. I just wanted to offer some ideas that might make midi more useful to those who didn't like it.

Off-Topic
pwarren Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Quote:

PWarren - I enjoyed the clip. Definitely Hendrix-ish.

Thanks Notes. Hendrix would have been the last guitarist who I thought could be emulated resonably well using midi. I was very surprised that it worked.

Quote:

As many people here know, I'm a big MIDI fan.

I wouldn't have guessed...

Quote:

Listen to This Clip or This One

I would not have known that was midi myself, although I'm no expert. Another convincing argument that midi can rival RTs directly and, by extension, works really well combined with RDs and RTs. Thanks for the clips.

Off-Topic
pwarren Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Quote:

I am so tired of the issue. I use midi. I have some Norton stuff. But the posting just to justify the clip slinging of a few weeks ago, and to drag up the free advertising ad(vertising) nausum, is getting to me.

I think himself has been too generous. It's his sandbox. The constant questioning and re-hasing of this tired horse is starting to smell.

I'm not sure I follow this John. However, I'm not trying to rehash anything. I was trying to offer a way of making midi guitars sound better and stimulate discussion on that subject.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
John,

Quote:

I think you're being more than a little cranky and unjustified in your comments to Bob.

Since the topic is MIDI and BIAB, who's better qualified than Bob to comment on it? Especially since he makes his living playing live music while using BIAB and MIDI as a backup band.

Add to that the fact that he's created thousands of arrangements using BIAB and MIDI and created numerous styles, and then we have an inescapable conclusion. "Notes" is more qualified to talk about the subject than any of us. He also freely shares his knowledge with those of us on the forum.

For the record, I don't have any of "Notes" stuff, but it's only because I can't afford it right now. Bob is a valued member of the forum and he shouldn't be discouraged from sharing what he knows about BIAB and MIDI just because you're tired of reading it.

Here's a tip just for you...... Don't read it.

I feel safe in saying that most of the rest of us would like to read what "Notes" has to say.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I don't hate MIDI ,but the examples I listened to don't sound like real instruments at all. Maybe if you are drunk in a bar it would be OK. I sent the links to a Real Studio and he said you must be kidding if you think it sounded like real instruments. But to each his own said the old lady kissing the cows behind. So I bow out of any more threads discussing the merits of MIDI or lack there of. Thanks to all that brought out the examples it has confirmed my thoughts of MIDI and since I have no products to spam to PG costumers as some do I hope you are happy with the sound of your music. I will still listen to your examples and just chuckle to myself.

Off-Topic
pwarren Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Quote:

I don't hate MIDI ,but the examples I listened to don't sound like real instruments at all. Maybe if you are drunk in a bar it would be OK. I sent the links to a Real Studio and he said you must be kidding if you think it sounded like real instruments. But to each his own said the old lady kissing the cows behind. So I bow out of any more threads discussing the merits of MIDI or lack there of. Thanks to all that brought out the examples it has confirmed my thoughts of MIDI and since I have no products to spam to PG costumers as some do I hope you are happy with the sound of your music. I will still listen to your examples and just chuckle to myself.

Did you listen to the Hendrix style clip I posted? It's in the first post of the thread. If you did you still don't think that sounds good?

Last edited by pwarren; 02/02/12 04:33 PM.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Yes I listened to all the links on this page ,it did not sound like a real guitar. It didn't sound awful just not like a real guitar,it was better than the Sax though. Over the years I have played guitars that were MIDI controllers they all sounded better as a piano than a guitar. If PG didn't think the same they would have stayed a MIDI only program,don't you think they changed for the better?

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,469
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi, mmpartee
38,439 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195